Start by marking “Unexpected Lessons in Love” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Lessons in Love

Unexpected Lessons in Love

From the SUNDAY TIMES bestselling author of Where the Light Gets in and All I Ever Wanted

'Real, heart-breaking - I loved it' Katie Fforde

What happens when 'I do' turns into 'I don't know'?

Published May 30th 2019 by Bantam Press

Start your review of Unexpected Lessons in Love
Emer (A Little Haze)
I've read a few Lucy Dillon books in the past and always found them to be incredibly well written with great heart and touching storylines. And I was pleased to discover that this book, Unexpected Lessons in Love, is no different.

It's a lovely easy read that I happily got lost in over the course of two days. The novel follows the story of Jeannie who is just about to get married after a whirlwind relationship. However on the way to the church Jeannie questions if she truly loves Dan her husband
Fabulous Book Fiend
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and was hooked from the first page. I loved getting to know Jeannie and her life. I loved seeing her grow and develop over the course of this novel and it was just an absolute delight at every turn. If you like very character driven books and you like books with lovely dogs in then Lucy Dillon is the author for you.

I just absolutely loved how this book unfurled itself with the turns of every page, or the start of every chapter. I ended up listening to the audiobook
Alison
It's Jeannie and Dan's wedding day but Dan gets injured on the way to the wedding and Jeannie starts to realise that maybe she doesn't know Dan very well at all.

As Dan lies in hospital Jeannie starts a new life in a new village alone, trying to understand this man she was going to marry based on stories from his family and friends, trying to find a motivation for herself.

Given the blurb it's difficult to say more without giving away huge spoilers.

I enjoyed this, I enjoyed the characters and the
Karen Whittard
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Dillon is a master storyteller. Every single book that she writes makes my heart sore. This one is no different and is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. It teaches you about, love, hope, marriage, relationships and happiness and is the perfect read for everybody who is a fan of chicklit and romance. I adored it.
Joanna Park
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this beautifully written, emotional read which has stayed with me since I finished reading it. I loved the fact that it was deeper than I expected and wasn’t just a pure romance book.

Jeannie was an interesting main character who I took a little while to warm to. She seemed kind of silly when we first meet her and I felt that even though it was brave of her to call off the wedding she could have done it a lot earlier. As the story progresses and we learn more about her I started
Emma Crowley
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It feels like it has been forever since I have read a book by the wonderful author that is Lucy Dillon. But now having finished the gorgeous read that was Unexpected Lessons in Love, I think I can safely say that this was the right book with which to reacquaint myself with Lucy's writing. This is a lovely, easy read that I read in two sittings as the chapters just seem to fly by. It's an ideal read for this time of year when you might be too busy to settle down into reading something really ...more
Karen
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
After meeting online and a whirlwind romance, Dan proposes to Jeannie on a romantic trip away and then suddenly all too soon it’s the day of the wedding and in the car to the church last minute doubts get to her and she has one last chance to put the brakes on. However those actions have repercussions that she never could have imagined and thus we go to the heart of the story.

I have to admit I didn’t like Jeannie very much at first. I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t make that decision much
tara
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

Unexpected Lessons in Love finds Jeannie, with cold feet, about to marry Dan. She bravely decides to call off the wedding at the same time that Dan is in an accident and ends up in a coma.

This started off good, I liked the writing but not the POV in this one. I'm usually not fussy unless it reads weird. My rating isn't great but I did read this book at a bad time, I've been super busy. That's probably the reason that when the plot started to drag (Dan still in a coma), I really gave up a bit
Amanda
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another gorgeous book by one of my favourite authors. You really can't beat chick lit with dog characters!
Jo Shaw
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s always difficult to write a review without a few tiny spoilers. I’m going try to be careful here, and say that what happens just before the wedding causes Jeannie to reevaluate her decision to pull out of the wedding, although because of that twist of fate the wedding is put on hold.

I felt hugely empathetic towards Jeannie because the decision she makes is a selfless one. It might not, however, be the right one for her. Her personal growth within the story line is immense and I wanted so
Narelle Richards
I'm so excited every time I have the opportunity to read a book by Lucy Dillon so thank you NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book early. I always know to read her books with a box of tissues nearby and time on my hands because once I start I won't be stopping. 'Unexpected Lessons in Love' allows us to see what happens when a romantic proposal that is leading to a perfect wedding doesn't always mean a happy ending and love that 'snaps' into place. Jeannie, a talented ...more
Sally Tyrer
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestmamreader
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
With many contemporary, women's fiction it's quite easy to see where the story is going to lead to. But, with Unexpected Lessons In Love it takes us on a journey of discovery, and the ending isn't as clear cut as what we would expect.

Jeannie is a character that you grow to love through the story. The story opens on Brooklyn Bridge, where Dan does the most romantic gesture of proposing to his love Jeannie. It's a whirlwind romance. They met online and within five months are getting married. How
Agi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeannie and Dan are about to get married, after a whirlwind romance, romantic proposal on Brooklyn Bridge in New York and lovely time spent together. But now, shortly before the ceremony, Jeannie starts to have second thoughts - do they really know each other well enough? Does she truly loves Dan, enough to spent her whole life with him? Jeannie makes a decision that is going to change their lives but before it happens, fate decides to interfere and everything suddenly changes and makes Jeannie ...more
Megan Jones
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Jeannie always wanted to fall in love, and now she’s finally got the whirlwind romance she dreamed of. Dan’s gorgeous, he’s a successful young vet, and he flew her to New York and proposed on Brooklyn Bridge. Jeannie has to remind herself this is actually her life. It seems too perfect, too magical, to be real. Yet it is. But now she’s on her way to the wedding she can’t shake off the tight sensation crushing her chest. Is it just nerves or is this all happening a bit too fast? Jeannie has one ...more
Jacqueline  sharp
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never read any of Lucy Dillon’s books before, so this was a treat for me. You are in your wedding dress, sitting in the back of a Rolls Royce car getting nearer and nearer to your wedding, your dad is by your side, and you realise you might be making a mistake. Is it nerves? Do you love the man you are going to marry? Can you call it off when you are only 2 miles away? These are the thoughts going through Jeannie’s head as she heads towards marrying Dan.

But then things change, things you
Adele
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens when I do turns into I don’t know?’

This is my first book by Lucy Dillon and I really adored it. When Jeannie has a severe case of cold feet on route to her wedding she has to act quickly before it’s too late. From that moment on nothing goes quite the way she expects. Heartbreak, love and friendship are there to help her along the way to discover her true path.

Unexpected Lessons in Love filled me with so many different emotions. Tears were spilled, smiles were given, and love felt.
Chelsea
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

There is so much depth and substance to this story. I was totally absorbed by Jeannie’s dilemma and in the circumstances
Debbie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
This is the first book of Lucy’s I have read, and I did enjoy it very much.

Jeannie always wanted to be loved, a true love that every girl deserves. Dan is a vet and meets Jeannie on a dating site, and she is the perfect girl for him.

On their wedding day things take a turn for the worst, Jeannie is having second thoughts and Dan is involved in a serious accident and ends up in a coma.

What follows is a story of a woman who is determined not to leave Dan during his recovery, a man who has hidden
Sara Oxton
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unexpected Lessons in Love by Lucy Dillon a four-star love of a read. At times this was a five-star read but overall, it just dragged a little in places, but I loved the premise of the story and the direction it took blew me away with the strength of writing. Jeannie is a very well-rounded character, I loved the inner quandaries and worries, watching her grow into herself was possible the best part of this story, it made her so relatable and easy to read. I enjoyed this novel more than the last ...more
Liz
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve read all of Lucy’s books and know that I can rely on them to be easy, enjoyable reads and this was definitely the case in this, her latest novel. The main storyline follows Jeannie & Dan and what happens on their wedding day. There is a good mix of characters and it wasn’t immediately obvious (to me anyway) which direction the story was going to take.

3-4 stars
Nicki
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book! ...more
Gemma
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-publisher
Sometimes it’s those books that take a little bit of warming to and clicking with at the start that go on to become the unexpected little gems;Unexpected Lessons In Lovewas exactly that for me – it wasn’t until around 70 or 80 pages in that we gelled, but once I did I found so much to love and take away from this story.

What exactly do you do when ‘I do’ turns into ‘I don’t know’ on your wedding day? After meeting Dan online, a whirlwind romance, and a magical and dreamlike proposal, that’s the
Joan
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
When Jeannie meets Dan she can’t help but fall in love with him. What’s not to like? He’s handsome, caring and so romantic. He’s all she has ever dreamed about and she falls quickly and hard. They live quite far away from each other but their time together is just magical. He loves her and treats her very well. One day he whisks her off to New York to show her the sights. She cannot believe her good luck. He heads for the Brooklyn Bridge and suddenly he reveals an amazing surprise for her – a ...more
Georgina
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeannie should be on cloud nine. She finally has the great love that she always wanted, after being proposed to on the Brooklyn Bridge by gorgeous vet Dan. Everything is perfect. Sure, Jeannie might have a few teeny tiny doubts, but that's normal, right? But when she's faced with one last chance to decide whether Dan is really what she wants, fate throws a curveball her way, and everything changes...

'She'd seen so much love over the past weeks: practical, real love; love that cushioned pain and
bookreviewer_98
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, a huge thanks to netgalley for always providing me with these wonderful ARC's and also Random house UK, Transworld publishers and Black swan for approving me this lovely book. This book is so much than just a pretty cover and its more than just romace or wedding. Trust me I though this would be a pretty easy read but I was left with my own 'Lessons in Love...'

This book is consists of story about Jeannie and Dan. They both met online, had a very whirlwind romance and in between a few
Caroline Kerdouci
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected lessons in love is a sweet and delightful novel from start to finish, albeit predictable and a tad cheesy. Very easy to read, the kind of unchallenging book that lets your mind drift and float away on a cloud of love, romance and happy endings.
Jeannie is about to get married to Dan when en route to the church she has a change of heart and rings her fiancé to call off the wedding. She can’t possibly foresee that the life altering decision she’s just made will haunt her over the coming
legenbooksdary
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected Lessons In Love is an unexpected story that I find myself enjoying very much. Its about the raw truth of being in love and of how two people could just be too invested in the ideals and memories that inevitably bring them apart—falling out of love. This book is heartwarming, powerful and utterly honest in all the ways it can possibly be.

Most of the romance books that I've picked up before were about two people, slowly getting familiar with one another until they eventually fall in
Michelle Ryles
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
I was delighted to win an advance copy of Unexpected Lessons in Love on Twitter as I have wanted to read a Lucy Dillon book for some time. What an amazing introduction to this fabulous author. I have to say that I half expected an overdose of romantic hearts and flowers but I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of sloppy slushiness.

Jeannie and Dan appear to have the perfect relationship; they're a couple in love hurtling towards married life after Dan surprised Jeannie with a romantic proposal.
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Unexpected Lessons in Love, Lucy Dillon

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: Romance, Women's fiction

Oh Dear, Women's fiction again – why on earth do we still use this outdated genre category. Men read romance, men write romance, why exclude them?
Anyway, the book. I was sure I'd read and enjoyed some of Lucy's previous novels but when I checked just before writing this I haven't – yay, more books to enjoy from a new to me author!
This is classed as romance and...well... it is but its kind
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• If I Never Met You
  • The Wish List of Albie Young
  • Rewrite the Stars
  • A Wedding in December
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
Lucy Dillon was born in Cumbria, worked for a while in publishing in London, and now lives in the Wye Valley with her husband and their Border terrier. She has written eight novels set in the fictional Midlands town of Longhampton, which looks a bit like Hereford, although the inhabitants tend to sound rather more Northern than that.