Start by marking “The Troop” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Troop

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  21,882 ratings  ·  3,956 reviews
WINNER OF THE JAMES HERBERT AWARD FOR HORROR WRITING

“The Troop scared the hell out of me, and I couldn’t put it down. This is old-school horror at its best.” —Stephen King

Once every year, Scoutmaster Tim Riggs leads a troop of boys into the Canadian wilderness for a weekend camping trip—a tradition as comforting and reliable as a good ghost story around a roaring bonfire.
Kindle Edition, Reissue Edition, 529 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Troop, please sign up.
Alan I'm about halfway through the book and I cant bring myself to finish it, I really want to 'cause I HATE not finishing a book, but theres so little…moreI'm about halfway through the book and I cant bring myself to finish it, I really want to 'cause I HATE not finishing a book, but theres so little going for it.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Scott Garrison
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,882 ratings  ·  3,956 reviews

Start your review of The Troop
Stephen King
karen
best premise for a book ever.

i know people have been a little coy with details in their reviews for this, but i'm not going to be, because i think that its strongest selling point is what people have been all shy about mentioning.

so - imma just say it: tapeworms. genetically-modified, kick-your-ass motherfucking tapeworms.

the setting is falstaff island, which is a tiny uninhabited island off the coast of ANOTHER tiny but inhabited island, prince edward island, in beautiful eastern canada. a
Kat
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
fuck this book
megs_bookrack
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Nick Cutter book and, oh baby, was I impressed!!!

Cutter can write some fine horror and this book single-handedly placed him towards the top of my auto-buy author list.

Well played, Mr. Cutter. Well played.

For real, I am nervous about being able to adequately express how much I enjoyed this one.

The Troop follows a group of boys who are taken by their Scoutmaster to a island off the coast of Eastern Canada for a weekend camping trip.

When a very ill stranger stumbles into their cabin, a
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5. If there's one thing I've learned from this year's crop of books, it's that you should be aware of what you put in your body.

In Japan, they have a specific type of manga and anime called "shounen manga," meaning "young men's manga." The category is specifically targeted towards adolescent males, around 13+ years of age. it generally contains little to no romance, few significant female characters, and is exemplified by constant action, humor, guts and glory, and focuses on
Fabian
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been fittingly salivating over this one for quite some time now. The huge endorsement by Stephen King on the cover has the same effect as a Pulitzer badge or Oprah recommendation. One must just read it, & SHUT UP. And was Le grand buffet horrifique worthwhile? Hell yeah! Did it live up to its "The (add some Noun here... i.e. Stand, Mist, Ruins, Exorcist, Omen)" ... preferred title for a work of the horror persuasion? Very much.

It's sickening, sad, & especially because it all occurs
Char
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

See that picture up there? Do you know what that is? It's a tapeworm. Which is a nasty, (sometimes not so) little, parasite that can infest pretty much any living thing.

That said, this was a story about a Boy Scout troop that visits an island to do their yearly Boy Scout stuff. But this will be the last trip together, ever. Can you guess why?

I had a blast with this book. It was a quick read and I loved the format in which it was told. The only issue that I had with it is that some of the
Maciek
The Troop was this year's big horror debut - the vast majority of my friends here have given it rave, recommending reviews, and it has received a push from Stephen King himself who called it "old-school horror at its best", and "a perfect gift for a winter night". While I can see definite throwbacks to classic popular horror, I'm genuinely puzzled at all the praise and good reviews that this book has received.

Perhaps I was simply expecting too much, as The Troop doesn't bring anything even
Trudi

First of all, when Stephen King goes out of his way to blurb a book, I pay attention. About The Troop he says:
"This is old-school horror at its best. Not for the faint-hearted, but for the rest of us sick puppies, it's a perfect gift for a winter night."
I'm a sick puppy! Right away, I perk up like one of those Pointer dogs on the scent. Secondly, the book description refers to The Troop as Lord of the Flies meets The Ruins. Oh yeah! You just pressed two of my book buttons right there. I'm
Carol
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book REALLY creeped me out......and not just because it's gory though (it REALLY is) and not just because it had contagious icky-creepy-crawling things (it REALLY does), but for the simple fact that you can visualize the fear of it actually happening......at least partly.

It's October and Scoutmaster (Dr.) Tim and his five Eagle Scouts from Troop 52 have been dropped off in the Canadian wilderness at terror (my word) island for three days of fun and hiking. The boys are a mixed bag of tall

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
**DISCLAIMER: So, to be honest, I worry that when I rate a horror novel at five stars, people will actually read them and think I'm a psycho. Please don't read this book unless you've read A LOT of horror and you know what you're doing. In the genre of horror, this book is ACES! Top tier.**

Okay. So. You read horror? You enjoy it? This book is on the top shelf. When you're in the horror VIP lounge and you want to order premium, top shelf horror, you order a Nick Cutter and if you want the most
Dan Schwent
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2013, horror
Matthew
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and gory - not to be read while you are eating. However, after reading this, you may hope to never be hungry ever again!
Becky
In Danse Macabre, Stephen King wrote: "I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I'll go for the gross-out. I'm not proud."

This book is the embodiment of that quote. It didn't terrify me. It didn't horrify me. But it did gross me out and disgust me.

*Sigh* I have heard so much greatness about this book, and about this author, but this book just didn't do it
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Shelves: library, audiobooks
3.5 stars!
Arah-Lynda
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sick puppies everywhere
Shelves: top, i-said, suedowho
A novel of terror? Yes, capital Y, it is.

Scoutmaster Tim has led a troop of boys out into the Canadian wilderness on an annual camping trip. They can go hiking, have a bonfire and there will be ample opportunity to bond and earn some merit badges. They are on a small, uninhabited, isolated island located just off Prince Edward Island.

On their first night, a stranger, very unexpectedly, arrives in their camp. He does not look well. He is very hungry.

Holy crap balls Batman! This one scared the
Lisa
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as hair raising the second time around!
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
ALet
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

This was different, but not that scary. Mainly I read this book for a horror element because I heard from a lot of people that it is one of the most disturbing and scariest books they ever read. Sadly, for me, it didn’t meet the expectations. It clearly had huge horror elements, but there wasn’t enough contrast to properly feel the horror and really fast I personally become numb for all the terrible experiences which were described. In addition, the characters were not that interesting to
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ by: Trudi
Shelves: young-adult, horror
Dear Craig Davidson Nick Cutter,

I just wanted to pass along a heartfelt thank you for pushing this story to such an extreme that I felt the need, urge, overwhelming desire to murder a child! A boy scout nonetheless. Oh, how I’d welcome the chance to choke the life out of that kid.

Why you little!

Best Regards,

Ron 2.0 Ɗẳɳ 2.

The Troop is the story of Troop Fifty-Two’s weekend field trip to a tiny uninhabited island off the coast of Prince Edward Island. — Five boys and their Scoutmaster. Two days.
Matt
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
“Nothing wants to die. Things cling to their lives against all hope, even when it’s hopeless. It’s like the end is always there, you can’t escape it, but things try so hard not to cross that finish line. So when they finally do, everything’s been stripped away. Their bodies and happiness and hope…”
- Nick Cutter, The Troop

Happy Horror Week 2017!

It’s that time of year again, when we take a break from a world that is already terrifying – like, really, really terrifying – and spend a little bit of
Katie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished it last night. From everything I had heard about this, I'll be 100% honest that I wasn't really looking forward to it - not because of the gore but because reading about kids on a boyscout trip isn't something I find remotely interesting....so I was pretty surprised how much I ended up caring about Newt and some of the others. The writing was also so much better than I was expecting. For me it's not a favorite, but I was very pleasantly surprised!
Tom Lewis
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should be awarded a medal for surviving the gore-fest that is “The Troop.” If you liked “The Ruins,” you’re in for a treat, because it uses the same “body horror” setup – people (in this case, a small band of Boy Scouts) are trapped in a location, where…

SPOILERS –

things are burrowing into their bodies, and eating them alive from the inside. And yes, the gore is explicit, and as graphic as words can conjure up. It was well written, and you really feel for most of the kids. They feel real, and
Matthew Hernandez
The Troop by Nick Cutter is my first adult horror novel I've read and I am extremely proud that I chose this novel. I was in Boy Scouts of America when I was a young teenager, so I am excited to read from this prospective and observe how the author turned the heightened situation on its head. The author's haunting, brutal, and descriptive words leap off the pages to the reader's eyes and causes you to imagine the worse and it often does. Isolated Island: check, cast of young teenagers: check , ...more
LeAnne: GeezerMom
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So. Every October I select a work of horror to listen to while setting up for a series of dinner parties, book club scavenger hunts, and a haunted walk I orchestrate out in the wooded acres behind our home. If it doesn't move, it'll be either cobwebbed or spray painted matte-black while our collection of clowns keep an eye on things.

Yes, lots. Of clowns.

All this to say that while I am not a horror aficionado, there is definitely a tendril of creep- factor worming its way up my spine - at least
Johann (jobis89)
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Do you know how hard it is to kill something? Nothing wants to die."

A scouting trip on Falstaff Island goes disastrously wrong following the arrival of an emaciated man, asking for food. This man isn't just hungry, he's sick. Pretty quickly, the young boys are fighting for survival, both against this sickness and each other.

Okay, so first of all - when Sadie and the guys at NRB kept pushing me to read this book, telling me I'd love all the horror and gore etc...they did NOT tell me that I'd
Edward Lorn
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're talking a very, very high four-star read here. What keeps it from being a 4.5 or 5 is the simple fact that I will never, ever, everevereverever read this fucking book again. I like being scared, love the thrill of it. I even love being disturbed, but this one tested all my boundaries. Naw, that's not good enough. It nuked my boundaries. Blew the doors right off my threshold for nasty, and then proceeded to fornication with my emotions.

What makes this book so disturbing isn't only the
Brandon
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A boy scout troop sets up camp on an island off the coast of Prince Edward Island. A planned retreat away from everyday life, the boys and their scout leader envision a quiet weekend where they can gain valuable survival experience while earning merit badges. Unfortunately for everyone involved, there’s nothing in the boy scouts handbook in regards to surviving a scenario seemingly plucked from a classic Stephen King novel.

I received a free copy through Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

A
Joe Valdez
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature lovers, biologists, book worms
Shelves: sci-fi-general
As a fan of the unexplained and the unimaginable, I was doing cartwheels over The Troop by Nick Cutter from the first chapter all the way through to the end. Cutter, a pseudonym of Canadian author Craig Davidson, comes as close to duplicating the science fiction terror and body horror of John Carpenter's The Thing or David Cronenberg's The Fly as any writer has since those landmarks films were released. As such, this is not a novel for the faint of heart.

The story opens with an Internet news
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

NetGalley ARC

A group of boy scouts and their troop master set off for a camping trip on an uninhabited island just off the mainland. They plan on a weekend adventure spent earning merit badges and learning a few lessons on how to live off the land. However, when an emaciated stranger shows up on the island carrying a potential biological weapon in his system in the form of a tapeworm, the trip becomes a test of survival of the fittest.
The ending 12 877 Oct 09, 2019 10:02AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Troop by Nick Cutter Starting Oct 12, 2018 1 7 Oct 01, 2018 01:38PM
Stephen King Fans: The Troop by Nick Cutter 43 106 Aug 21, 2017 01:53PM
Bookworm Buddies: Buddy read for The Troop by Nick Cutter 34 26 Oct 08, 2015 07:46PM
When is it horror...and when is it just gross? 12 190 Sep 15, 2015 06:14AM
The Challenge Fac...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Kristin & V Audio Nerd - The Troop 67 25 Jan 31, 2015 11:42AM

• A Head Full of Ghosts
  • Horrorstör
  • The Ritual
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
Hello Everybody!

I've been asked to set this up by The Powers That Be, and I'm more than happy to, although I can't really say much about myself seeing as Nick Cutter doesn't exactly exist—he's a pen name. A cool, tough pen name! Your mileage will vary on whether you agree, but that was the thinking. Horror writers should have crisp, punchy names. Stephen King. Clive Barker. Nick Cutter. Not that
“How could you hide from a murderer who lives under your skin?” 17 likes
“It came down to that flexibility of a person’s mind. An ability to withstand horrors and snap back, like a fresh elastic band. A flinty mind shattered. In this way, he was glad not to be an adult. A grown-up’s mind—even one belonging to a decent man like Scoutmaster Tim—lacked that elasticity. The world had been robbed of all its mysteries, and with those mysteries went the horror. Adults didn’t believe in old wives’ tales. You didn’t see adults stepping over sidewalk cracks out of the fear that they might somehow, some way, break their mothers’ backs. They didn’t wish on stars: not with the squinty-eyed fierceness of kids, anyway. You’ll never find an adult who believes that saying “Bloody Mary” three times in front of a mirror in a dark room will summon a dark, blood-hungry entity. Adults were scared of different things: their jobs, their mortgages, whether they hung out with the “right people,” whether they would die unloved. These were pallid compared to the fears of a child—leering clowns under the bed and slimy monsters capering beyond the basement’s light and faceless sucking horrors from beyond the stars. There’s no 12-step or self-help group for dealing with those fears. Or maybe there is: you just grow up. And when you do, you surrender the nimbleness of mind required to believe in such things—but also to cope with them. And so when adults find themselves in a situation where that nimbleness is needed . . . well, they can’t summon it. So they fall to pieces: go insane, panic, suffer heart attacks and aneurysms brought on by fright. Why? They simply don’t believe it could be happening. That’s what’s different about kids: they believe everything can happen, and fully expect it to.” 14 likes