Start by marking “Suspended in Dusk II” as Want to Read:
Suspended in Dusk II

Suspended in Dusk II

(Suspended in Dusk #2)

Life is change. Change forces us into the light or the dark. Dusk is the time in between. It defends the light from the dark. It's the tipping point. Where things go well. Or where thy go very, very bad. Confront change. But you must first survive dusk.

Suspended in Dusk II continues the legacy of editor Simon Dewar's anthology series. The second volume is introduced by A
Published July 10th 2018 by Grey Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about Suspended in Dusk II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspended in Dusk II

Start your review of Suspended in Dusk II
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
As a lifelong night owl, night time is my favorite time—it’s when I’m most alert, happiest, and when I function the best. The best part of nighttime is dusk, when I can watch the world slowly begin to quiet around me as the sun dips below the horizon, the air chills, and everything takes on this hushed tone of mystery, curiosity, and adventure—or, as we see in this collection, maybe something a little more sinister, a little tougher to understand.

“This time of dusk—the time between times—is
Sadie Hartmann
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"DUSK DEFENDS THE LIGHT FROM THE DARK. SOMETIMES...

Life is nothing if not constant change. And these changes force us to make terrifying choices that will lead us into either the light or the dark. Dusk is this tipping point, where things go well, or where they go very, very bad."

I loved reading the Editor's Foreward by Simon Dewar and Angela Slatter's Intro because both of their thoughts served to set the tone for the stories in this collection. They also helped me to keep a loose idea of the t
Michael Hicks
In his foreword, Simon Dewar discusses the themes behind the period of dusk, noting that this is a moment of change, a "time between times", when light turns dark, when good can turn bad. It's a flashpoint for life and death, an instant where the inevitable can turn on a dime, where one's greatest fears or greatest hopes can be realized, a time when people are forever altered and either ruined or reborn. Collected in Suspended in Dusk II are 17 stories that realize these instances of change, to ...more
Mindi
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the editor in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars.

Dusk has always been my favorite time of day. When dusk approaches it's that moment when the sun sinks behind the horizon that feels like the earth is finally becoming still and peaceful. The hustle and bustle of the day is fading, and night approaches to wrap the world in a blanket of darkness. I'm a night owl, but dusk is a moment in between, a time when the day shifts from light to dark, and the world be
Frank Errington
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review Copy

Before we review the anthology, Suspended In Dusk II, I just have to comment on the cover art from the amazing Dean Samed, without a doubt, the best I've seen in 2018. Absolutely stunning. And, for the most part, the stories beneath the cover are just as good.

In Simon Dewar's foreword, he talks about dusk—"the time between light and dark. This grey area that we all find ourselves in from time to time is the fulcrum, the tipping point. This tipping point is the penultimate moment of ch
Bob/Sally
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Suspended in Dusk II, edited by Simon Dewar, closes out this year's slate of horror anthologies with an interesting mix of new-to-me authors and genre heavyweights like Ramsey Campbell, Paul Tremblay, Christopher Golden, and more. Here, the running theme is that of dusk, the time between times . . . the time between the light and the dark . . . the grey area . . . the tipping point.

Overall, I'd say this was an average collection with a few above average stories. While there were a small handful
Andi Rawson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Anthologies are always something I both look forward to and dread. I love short stories, but I rarely like more than one or two stories in an anthology that I'm reading and often I hate the rest. This is one of my exceptions. I liked almost every story and I loved several of them. I didn't care for a few but they were the minority. I've seen the process for a few anthologies, and between submissions, editing, and just being able to pick stories that mesh well together, I have nothing b
Emily
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5⭐

"Horror literature is, to me at least, the history of sharing nightmares." -Angela Slatter

Suspended in Dusk II is a fantastic anthology. I was really happy to see some authors I love in here, and to be introduced to some new favorites as well. The balance of men and women authors in this book was incredibly refreshing, and I was very happy with this book as a whole. All of the stories are related to dusk in some way, and are well-written. You can feel that you're in that time between times r
Tracy Robinson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of current, talented authors. It really has something for everyone. Personally, I love that fact that it is inclusive of both men and women writers. I have my favorites, but I'll leave you to explore this tasteful journey through the minds of some of the very best. Be sure to pick this one up! ...more
Red Lace Reviews
Seventeen stories that tell of life and death and those happenings in between, where change is all but inevitable. Be prepared for horrors of all kinds, some more subtle than others.

(WARNING: This review contains MAJOR spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I thank Grey Matter Press for giving me the opportunity.

First of all, I appreciated the large amount of diversity in this book; from the foreword it became clear that individuals of all shapes of life were given the
David
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is another great book from GMP, and it's why I keep reading what they print. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1F8 ...more
Mommacat
Review Copy

I'd list the authors here, but why? You're fully capable of doing a "look inside" and getting that thrill that you get when you see your favorite authors listed within. I know that I've added several must read authors to my personal list since discovering Grey Matter Press some years ago.

This short story collection starts out strong and gets stronger to endwith a punch in the gut that will leave satisfied and yet wanting more.

Highly recommended- don't wait!
Ethan Harris
I found the collection, written by a host of talented authors, to be somewhat free-ranging, allowing room for the expression of diverse perspectives on a dark theme.

Jumping up from the pages is the story by Stephen Graham Jones, entitled, "Love is a Cavity I Can't Stop Touching." Jones attacked my sense of well-being from the first sentence and established his own disturbing story without allowing me a second to adjust. This is a story that I really enjoy, grabbing me and pulling me along in a s
Holly (The Grimdragon)
4.5 stars~

“The shadows below seem to hold their breath at my approach. I always seek them out, something to do with grief, maybe. Does my sadness draw me to dark corners? I don’t know why exactly, but ever since I started noticing shadows, they seem more and more alive to me, as if they’re waiting just for me. Waiting for me to walk by so they can let out their breaths.”

Suspended in Dusk II reads like it was written by the firelight of a world on fire. Goddamn. I dug the hell out of this!

The ele
Suz Jay
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“With horror maybe we get to have a preview, a try-before-you-buy kind of thing without the commitment to actual death. Just maybe coming close to the edge reminds us we’re alive.”

Angela Slatter’s introduction sets the tone for this great collection of horror stories. I enjoyed each story, but my favorites are Sarah Read’s “Still Life with Natalie,” Gwendolyn Kiste’s “An Elegy for Childhood Monsters,” and Nerine Dorman’s “That Damned Cat.”

Read’s story focuses on a painter’s obsession with captur
Brian
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Dewar’s second instalment of the series really delivers. There. That’s my review. Deal with it.

Ah, who the hell am I kidding? There is plenty to talk about between the covers. So much so, I fear I may be suspended in my own nightmare of everlasting dusk if I reviewed every single tale. But, I am definitely going to touch on some high points, because this collection has thrown together a multitude of quality writing that begs to be read.

Full Review here: http://kendallreviews.com/suspended-
GracieKat
Suspended in Dusk II grabs you by the throat from the very first story and does not let go. I honestly can't overstate how good this anthology was. I didn't read the first Suspended in Dusk anthology but I am definitely going to now. If the stories in the first collection are half as good as the stories in Suspended in Dusk II then it will be well worth it. There are some very heavy topics in the stories but they're written so well and not a single one is played merely for shock value or cheap e ...more
Brian Bogart
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It kicks off with a wonderful introduction by Angela S
Yolanda Sfetsos
Okay.

I've been debating what to do about this book for several days now.

The problem is that while I really enjoyed the first two stories--Angeline and The Sundowners--after that, I started losing interest. I skimmed Crying Demon. Still Life with Natalie was too predictable. Love is a Cavity I Can't Stop Touching was so gross, and not in a good way. Even There's No Light Between Floors was disappointing.

After that, I started several of the other stories and couldn't finish any. Well, except for
Autumn
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good, solid horror anthology, and well worth the price. I loved the forward and the theme of suspension in dusk, and the in between places where terrors can lurk and you don't suspect them.
It starts off strong to get you interested and by the end you have experienced a wide range of very well written frights from a pool of amazingly talented authors.
It has something for everyone, from cheesy to disturbing. I have quite a few favorites, but there wasn't one that I didn't like, which
Father Longlegs
¯\(ツ)/¯ Sometimes you get peaches and sometimes you get lunch meat. Some good stories, some cheeseball ones. Still searching for the perfect horror anthology!!
Alan Baxter
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
‪I just finished reading my contributor copy of this one. It’s an outstanding anthology, and it’s an honour to be part of it. Well done, Simon Dewar.
Christa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, Gothic, psychological, exceedingly dark, this anthology works due to the contributions of Gwendolyn Kiste, Sarah Read, Damien Angelica Walters, and Annie Neugebauer alone, but tales by Paul Tremblay and Ramsey Campbell can’t hurt either. The most effective stories linger far after the book is closed, transforming dusk from a liminal—but navigable—space into a world of trapdoors and unseen passages that will drop you into realms far more dangerous than a simple, moonless night.
Dave Versace

• Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
  • Will Haunt You
  • Manifest Recall
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
Simon Dewar was born and bred in Canberra, Australia. He lives there with his wife and 3 daughters.

Simon is the editor for the Suspended in Dusk anthology series from Books of the Dead Press.

His own fiction published in the Bloody Parchment: The Root Cellar and Other Stories, The Sea by Crossroads Press, Death’s Realm from Grey Matter Press, Morbid Metamorphosis from Lycan Valley Press and others.

Suspended in Dusk (2 books)
  • Suspended In Dusk