Start by marking “The Best at It” as Want to Read:
The Best at It

The Best at It

Balzer + Bray has acquired the debut middle grade novel by Maulik Pancholy. The. Best. At. It. is about a gay Indian-American boy growing up in a small town in Indiana, dealing with the shifting dynamics of friendship and bullying in middle school, who has decided that everything in his life will get better if he can just find that one special thing he's the best at. Publi ...more
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Best at It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best at It

Tucker
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
That synopsis. That diversity. That cover.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Ivy
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
Not only is this cover incredible, but tHE PLOT! In 2019 we say YES to teaching kids that it's okay to struggle to find your identity. But, I cannot stress enough, The Cover.
Tory
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely precious story! Racial, cultural, and sexual identities all handled with perfect poise. I'm typically very hesitant about going too far into sexual orientation in middle-years books, but this was exactly the right level of discussion in an incredibly accessible manner. Humor, heart, and growth. Way to go, Jonathan! 😉
Sam Leckron
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful middle School book about the things and feelings that issue during those years. Preread for my own kids and I needed to read an own voices LGBT for the read harder challenge.
Madeline
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am so bummed. I’d been looking forward to this book for months--a middle grade book about a gay, Indian-American boy! Yes! So needed!--but I was mostly disappointed by it.

Rahul is starting 7th grade. He’s bullied a lot by white football jock Brent, who begins to tease him for having a crush on their classmate, Justin. (Rahul isn’t sure if he actually does have a crush on Justin, or if he just wishes he were athletic, popular, and white like him.) So Rahul decides that life would be better if h
Brandi
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet middle-grade story that LGBT+, nonwhite kids will probably really relate to and really benefit from reading. It’s always nice to see yourself in characters. But the characters are relatable and likable for anyone - the family at the center of this is warm and loving, the friendships feel authentic, and Rahul’s story of discovering who he is (and wants to be) is universal. I really enjoyed living in this world, and Maulik Pancholy has the perfect writing style for this age group. ...more
Katrina
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rahul is a very relatable character. Middle school is a weird time for everyone, and going through changes and learning about who you are is a huge part of it. Rahul has a wonderfully supportive family, including his awesomely cool grandpa, and they’re all-in while he navigates the perils of trying to be cool in seventh grade.
Jeremiah McKee
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a wonderful book! I picked up this book yesterday at an Island Bookstore in North Carolina. The moment I started reading, I couldn't put the book down!
Christina