Start by marking “The Best at It” as Want to Read:
The Best at It

The Best at It

From actor Maulik Pancholy comes an incredibly charming, heartfelt middle grade debut about Rahul Kapoor, a gay Indian American boy coming into his own in a small town in the Midwest.

Rahul Kapoor is heading into seventh grade in a small town in Indiana. The start of middle school is making him feel increasingly anxious, so his favorite person in the whole world, his grandf
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Best at It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best at It

Tucker
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
That synopsis. That diversity. That cover.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Ivy
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
Not only is this cover incredible, but tHE PLOT! In 2019 we say YES to teaching kids that it's okay to struggle to find your identity. But, I cannot stress enough, The Cover.
Tova
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as 2019-releases  ·  review of another edition
This giving me major Kapoor and Sons vibes and I am here for it!!!
Sonali Dabade
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! Oh goodness me! It's one of the simplest, easiest books to read but it made me feel things I wasn't prepared for. So much connection happening!

Full review to come soon on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpzC...
Tory
An absolutely precious story! Racial, cultural, and sexual identities all handled with perfect poise. I'm typically very hesitant about going too far into sexual orientation in middle-years books, but this was exactly the right level of discussion in an incredibly accessible manner. Humor, heart, and growth. Way to go, Jonathan! 😉
Sam Leckron
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful middle School book about the things and feelings that issue during those years. Preread for my own kids and I needed to read an own voices LGBT for the read harder challenge.
Ms. Yingling
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Rahul lives in Indiana with his parents, younger brother Arun, and grandfather, whom he calls Bhai. He has a best friend, Chelsea, and is trying to navigate middle school. He's not quite sure what his interests are, so tries out for the football team, partly to show his nemesis, Brent, that he's not afraid to, and partly so that he can be near Justin, whom he thinks is nice. He's not particularly good at sports, and his try out ends disastrously. He also goes on a
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile & Andrea RBK

The Best at It by Maulik Pancholy is an upcoming #ownvoices release. I so loved the way Rahul's story gave voice to a story around intersecting identities that aren't often told. Rahul is a gay teen who is working through mental health issues while growing up in rural Indiana who is navigating all that middle school brings. He's trying to figure out where he fits in, as he tries to manage his own feelings and reactions to life.
Alexa Hamilton
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
Rahul is your typical middle school boy--sort of. He is wrestling with his identity, and he wants to be the best at something but he doesn't know what. He enlists his best friend Chelsea to help him, and his family is really supportive, so they jump in to help, too. The book meanders around a bit as Rahul tries to figure out what he can do. We get to meet everyone at school, and watch Rahul ignore the Mathletes team even though he is amazing at math. Luckily, Justin gives him a math related comp ...more
Madeline
I am so bummed. I’d been looking forward to this book for months--a middle grade book about a gay, Indian-American boy! Yes! So needed!--but I was mostly disappointed by it.

Rahul is starting 7th grade. He’s bullied a lot by white football jock Brent, who begins to tease him for having a crush on their classmate, Justin. (Rahul isn’t sure if he actually does have a crush on Justin, or if he just wishes he were athletic, popular, and white like him.) So Rahul decides that life would be better if h
Anna
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, glbt, wndb
4 1/2 stars. This touching and layered coming-out-story by Maulik Pancholy was well written and provided a few laugh-out-loud and subway stop missing reading sessions. (High-praise) The only thing that took away a 1/2 star was the cookie-cutter bully but the rest of the nuanced cast of characters made up for it. I was totally on-board with Rahul's journey and deeply felt his failures and challenges. This is truly a windows and mirrors book, and I felt honored to get a peek into Rahul's experienc ...more
Brandi
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet middle-grade story that LGBT+, nonwhite kids will probably really relate to and really benefit from reading. It’s always nice to see yourself in characters. But the characters are relatable and likable for anyone - the family at the center of this is warm and loving, the friendships feel authentic, and Rahul’s story of discovering who he is (and wants to be) is universal. I really enjoyed living in this world, and Maulik Pancholy has the perfect writing style for this age group. ...more
Katrina
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rahul is a very relatable character. Middle school is a weird time for everyone, and going through changes and learning about who you are is a huge part of it. Rahul has a wonderfully supportive family, including his awesomely cool grandpa, and they’re all-in while he navigates the perils of trying to be cool in seventh grade.
NidhaRajoli
Such an important story. It's amazing to have books like this so that kids can relate to it, and understand LGBTQ+ struggles. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COVER AS WELL. INDIANA TOO?! THIS BOOK IS SPEAKING TO ME.
mj
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WE LOVE A FANTASTIC MIDDLE GRADE BOOK.
Jeremiah
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a wonderful book! I picked up this book yesterday at an Island Bookstore in North Carolina. The moment I started reading, I couldn't put the book down!
Christina