Start by marking “Beyond the Shadowed Earth” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Shadowed Earth

Beyond the Shadowed Earth

(Beneath the Haunting Sea #2)

It has always been Eda’s dream to become empress, no matter the cost. Haunted by her ambition and selfishness, she’s convinced that the only way to achieve her goal is to barter with the gods. But all requests come with a price and Eda bargains away the soul of her best friend in exchange for the crown.

Years later, her hold on the empire begins to crumble and her best
400 pages
Published January 14th 2020 by Page Street

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Shadowed Earth, please sign up.
Kayleen I haven't read Beneath the Haunting Sea and wasn't confused during Beyond the Shadowed Earth. I'm sure it would help with a bit of the world-building,…moreI haven't read Beneath the Haunting Sea and wasn't confused during Beyond the Shadowed Earth. I'm sure it would help with a bit of the world-building, but not necessary. (less)

Start your review of Beyond the Shadowed Earth
Joan He
May 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
have you seen the cover? have you read the excerpt and pitch? because I have and I am DECEASED
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Another gorgeous cover!!

Psst... come find me on Instagram at @reverieandink!
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Jackie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, 2019-reads
‘This book gave me so much and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

“Beyond the Shadowed Earth” sees Eda working to fulfill her end of the bargain she made with the gods to become Empress but with her Barons going over her head making deals with foreign governments she finds herself playing a deadly game that could cost her everything she’s ever wanted.

So from the beginning I really loved the mythology in this that plays the biggest role in shaping the characters and influencing them both the good
Kira
After reading and being pleasantly surprised by Echo North earlier this year, I was really looking forward to this. Sadly it didn't work for me. Eda that made the book unbearable. It's hard to get through a book when the main character is incredibly selfish. I couldn't even admire her as a queen because she was not politically savvy at all.

Eda made a deal with a god to become empress. Of course things quickly go awry. She didn't have the right allies to strengthen her political power, so
Marta Cox
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
This is set in the same world as the authors previous book Beneath the Haunting Sea but is not exactly a sequel and I guess I should describe it as a companion story as it’s fleshing out the world building. I was intrigued by the idea of a heroine who wasn’t exactly heroic but honestly struggled to actually like Eda. I think I clearly need to feel sympathy, camaraderie or just plain empathy and sadly even though the journey throughout this story is leading Eda to conquer her own demons sadly I ...more
Cillian
Read that summary! Just read it.

(view spoiler)

It will be out in January 2020...

Madison Mary
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
*Review and star rating to come soon but so thankful that I got an arc of this*

While this book took a while to get into and the main character had a lot of unlikeable flaws, the ending made me very emtional. I love the message that this book held and themes that were woven throughout it. This truly is a story about longing to belong and the true pain of sorrow and loneliness.
JenacideByBibliophile
DNFd at about 25%.

It started out interesting, pulled me in and I was enjoying the story building and Eda's history. The plot sounded awesome, and I was excited for another badass female lead to strut her stuff and take whatever the hell she she wanted, because F the consequences. Right?!

But....this went from "Woo!" to "Zzzzz" real quick.

description

I just have no connection or feeling towards anything in this book. The main character, Eda, is bland and just says things that lack any emotion. When she is
Veronica ( moon & coffee. )
A | If I could hold up another book as the PERFECT example of mythology and worldbuilding, I’d move Beneath the Haunting Sea to the side and hold this one higher up instead. Beyond the Shadowed Earth takes what was good about the previous standalone book in this universe and makes it better. Quite frankly, this book is far more compelling and impressive. Eda makes for a far better protagonist than Talia. The mythology and worldbuilding are much more extensive here. Still, although I liked the ...more
Anna Bright
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
official blurb that i officially wrote for official purposes:

Gods and palaces and mountains and monasteries, betrayal and sacrifice and justice and atonement... BEYOND THE SHADOWED EARTH is hands spread across a map, flames on an altar, reverent and ancient and careful and strange. A wondrous fantasy of sweeping proportions.
Joanna Bennett
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating 4.5

This isn’t technically a sequel to Beneath the Haunting Sea as it is more of a companion novel. I still think that you should read BtHS because it’s where we are first introduced to Eda and it really is the driving force for this novel.

I enjoyed the first book and in some ways I loved this book more. I think that there is a lot of good lessons that can be learned if you look between the lines and sometimes they are right at the surface.

Eda is the Empress of half the world. She has
Leah
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, we were off to a slow start, but Book 1 of 2020 is complete! And what a book it was: intricate and exquisite are two words that come to mind.

I haven't read Meyer's previous novel Beneath the Haunting Sea, which is the companion to this book. That said, I'm pleased to say I had no confusion at all, so it's not a must-read. Although you probably should, since Meyer's writing really is quite fantastic.

The key selling point for this book—and what delivers across each page—is the world
Rachael
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Thank you NetGalley and Page Street Publishing for the advanced copy of Beyond the Shadowed Earth by Joanna Ruth Meyer.

I read the first book and unfortunately, it fell slightly flat for me. I was apprehensive to read the second series but was surprised!

I loved the fact that this book is set in the same world and follows Eda's story. I think the storytelling was much more polished and held my interest. Eda was a terrible character in the first book but we only saw glimpses. This book explores
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Sigh...I was really excited for this one. DNFed at 15%

Full thoughts to come
Sheila Goicea
Thanks to The Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me as a part of your blog tour!

I received a copy of this book via Page Street Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

”One must always take care when treating with gods,” said her father. “It may not be worth the risk.”

Okay, I know that I should never judge a book by it’s cover, but I must
Alexandra Nae
I received an e-arc of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much Page Street Publishing!

Though I had trouble with the first few parts of the book, Beyond the Shadowed Earth flaunted exquisite story elements such as the writing style, the plot, and the rich world-building. At the end of it, I can say that I enjoyed reading the book!

Brilliant writing style
I adored the writing style of the author. It was poetic, sometimes haunting, and it was definitely
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club, Netgalley, and Page Street Kids for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay.

First of all, I really don’t think that I could be in Eda’s situation, although a part of me does feel like I can be ruthless to get what I want. Maybe. Sometimes. In my dreams. Not sure.
Chiara
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2-stars
I received an ebook copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Beyond the Shadowed Earth had a very strong start for me. I was so very intrigued by Eda, our villainous protagonist. Her ruthlessness and determination made for an unpredictable protagonist, and I found it extremely refreshing. Her villainous traits set Eda apart from the usual heroine, and coupled with an incredible world-building frame and a winning political
Shalini
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very, very different tale which gave me an extremely unlikable heroine set in a political world of greed and gods, yet had the power to incite my curiosity to know if she got what she deserved.

Eda wanted the throne, she wanted to be an Empress. At. Any. Cost. She poisoned the old Emperor, killed the legal heir, made a deal with the God Tuer and bargained her nest friend's life. Mid story a twist occurred, she lost everything, blamed the god and wanted to kill him. So she went searching out
Savannah Porter
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book simply wasn't for me. I wonder if I would have a different opinion if I had read Beneath the Haunting Sea, which is another standalone set in the same world (and it came out first). But this one I just couldn't get into or connect to. Here are some reasons why:

-Eda is a completely unloveable, selfish character with no redeeming qualities. As a character-driven reader, this was a problem for me. I like some unloveable selfish characters, but only if I can connect to them in some way. I
Ashleigh 🎩🎪
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s just something about Joanna Ruth Meyer’s writing that always leaves me wanting more! Beyond the Shadowed Earth is an excellent companion to Beneath the Haunting Sea. You can read each as a standalone, but I recommend reading them as companions as they are set in the same world and contain the same mythology. I really enjoyed the main character, Eda. She was so self-centered and selfish in the beginning of the story, but as she embarks on her journey, she shows tremendous growth and ...more
Olivia
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
BEYOND THE SHADOWED EARTH is an intricate but predictable YA fantasy. Here, we follow Eda on her journey to fulfill what the gods have asked of her. Eda was a child when her parents died, and she was betrayed by other adults. She swore revenge and invoked a deal with the god, Tuer, something she had been warned could backfire easily. Eda took all the precautions she thought she needed.

However, no bargains are ever so simple. Eda is soon to learn that her mission is much more complex and winding
Rachel
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
**I was sent an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Sooo apparently this is a companion novel, which I didn't realize when I had requested it from NetGalley. Thankfully it didn't impact my reading experience at all; there were only a few times that I thought something could have been expanded on/felt incomplete, and now I realize it was likely addressed in book one. Oops, I have no idea how I missed this!

Regardless, this was a pretty quick read filled with complex
Emmy Neal
Really strong characterization makes this a villain story worth picking up--and Meyer's writing has serious fairy tale vibes, which is always a style I like!
Emily Hean
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! I did read an ARC, so the final copy may be different from the one I read.
Mara (marasfoldedpages)
Thank you to Manda Group & Page Street Publishing for sending me this arc for an honest review.

I didn't realize until after I read it that this is a companion novel to Meyer's debut novel Beneath the Haunting Sea.I didn't have any trouble reading this one first, but it does make me super curious to read Talia's story.

This was an incredibly written villain redemption story. I liked Eda's character from the beginning. Her struggles to keep her power after having come from nothing, made me want
USOM
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Unfortunately, I just didn't click with Beyond the Shadowed Earth. I've never read Beyond the Haunted Sea, but you can definitely understand the story without it. Would it have been a more captivating read if I had? I'll never know. I loved the idea of Beyond the Shadowed Earth. Deals with gods always have disastrous consequences we can never anticipated. And while I felt bad for her,
Jen Fulmer
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BTSE is an extremely satisfying companion to BTHS, immersive and enthralling, rendered in Meyer’s exquisite prose. Eda is a fierce, unforgiving, unapologetic whirlwind of a girl, the journey and transformation she undergoes immensely compelling, a fantastic display of the author’s breadth of skill and craft.
Janet
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God's, palaces, mountains and so much more. This book was slow at the beginning but after a certain chapter, it picked up so much that I held my breathe at times.

I received an ARC from Page Street Press in exchange for my honest review.
« previous 1 3 next »
Clean Romances: Beyond the Shadowed Earth - ARC Giveaway 3 15 Nov 11, 2019 04:53PM
Happily Ever Afte...: Beyond the Shadowed Earth - ARC Giveaway 1 17 Nov 04, 2019 12:49PM
Sounis: Beyond the Shadowed Earth - ARC Giveaway 1 11 Nov 04, 2019 12:28PM
Clean Reads: Beyond the Shadowed Earth - ARC Giveaway 1 10 Nov 04, 2019 11:53AM
Joanna Ruth Meyer hails from Mesa, Arizona, where she lives with her dear family, a rascally feline, and an enormous grand piano. When she’s not writing, she’s trying to convince her students that Bach is actually awesome, or plotting her escape from the desert. She loves good music, thick books, looseleaf tea, rainstorms, and staring out of windows. One day, she aspires to own an old Victorian ...more

• Woven in Moonlight
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Blood Countess
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Reverie
  • Winterwood
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Angel Mage