Start by marking “If These Wings Could Fly” as Want to Read:
If These Wings Could Fly

If These Wings Could Fly

Perfect for fans of Laura Ruby, Laurie Halse Anderson, and Mindy McGinnis, Kyrie McCauley's stunning YA debut is a powerful story about the haunting specter of domestic violence and the rebellious forces of sisterhood and first love.

Tens of thousands of crows invading Auburn, Pennsylvania, is a problem for everyone in town except seventeen-year-old Leighton Barnes. For
400 pages
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by HarperCollins/Tegen

To ask other readers questions about If These Wings Could Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If These Wings Could Fly

Start your review of If These Wings Could Fly
Jerico
Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Obscenity, domestic violence and abuse, blood, racial slurs

3.75 rounded off to 4 hefty and cumbersome stars.

FRTC upon its official release.

Honestly, I had a hard time deciding what to rate this book. At some point, I enjoyed most of what happened, some parts of it got me
Celia McMahon
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally, when writing reviews, I use an abundance of "amazing" and "fantastic", but this book deserves a better word. Maybe by the end of the review, I'll find it.

****Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

Gut-wrenching, magnificent...familiar. Just a few words to describe Kyrie McCauley's IF THESE WINGS COULD FLY. This book follows Leighton and her two younger sisters as they live through an abusive father and their complacent
Erica
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful I had the chance to read an advance copy of IF THESE WINGS COULD FLY.

I devoured this wise, beautiful, and important book in about two days. There's so much to love here, from the gorgeous writing to the subtle magic to the sweet and empowering romance. The novel is painfully honest about the realities of domestic violence and the ways a community responds to it--or rather how they don't respond. Yet there's so much hope and courage and love here too.

And crows. Lots and lots of
Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ending was a wee bit abrupt but overall a brilliant book.
Lauren
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't think this book is particular bad, I'm just not interested in it.

The magical realism part of it was my favourite - I really liked the crow aspect and the counting of that between parts of the book. It discusses a every important topic which I felt was done well.

The ending was a bit to abrupt for me, especially because it was the end but something else happened right before the end and I was like what??

If you like contemporaries, I think you'll love it. It's just not for me.
Liz Lawson
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book 100 stars if Goodreads would let me.

This book is beautiful, heartbreaking, necessary, and literally (and I do mean literally) gave me chills at certain points.

McCauley is a gorgeous writer, and she seamlessly weaves together a story about a family being eaten from the inside out by an angry and destructive father. The pacing is pitch perfect. Okay now I'm crying writing this review thinking about the story. {I also cried while finishing it like 2 hours ago. I'm just a
L
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-i-know-them, ya
This book... Not only is the writing beautiful and the story fast-paced and intriguing - this book is IMPORTANT.

McCauley handles the subject of domestic violence with care and does something that I've never really seen done with any other book involving the subject. She brings attention to the fact that apathy and complicity are sometimes one and the same in matters like this, but no one sees it that way because they often don't want to see anything at all.

This is an absolutely stunning debut,
Andi
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
I was lucky to receive this ARC from my local library. A full review to come soon.
Lucsbooks
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s so important not only that books like this exist, but that this author started it by telling her readers that she knows what it feels like to live in an abusive household because often times it's hard to recognize the way you are being raised is not right when you have never known anything else. Books like this show us that there is another way to live and more than that that there is hope and there is help.

This book is not only about Leighton and the abusive household in which she lives.
Jessica
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*thanks to Edelweiss for the opportunity to read this ARC*

"When the legacy is anger, the inheritance is fear."

Everyone needs to go read this book. It is incredibly insightful at depicting the complexities of domestic violence. I want to write a longer review, but I feel like I won't do the book justice. But I will say a few things:

1.) The elements of magical realism in this book make the story even more intricate, heartbreaking, and beautiful.

2.) "Stories matter. Representation matters."

3.)
Barb
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
The author did a very good job with a very delicate subject. The story was from Leighton's POV. She becomes the caretaker of her 2 younger sisters and her mother. They live in a delicate balance with her father. Can an object carry the feelings of what caneZ before, be it fear or happiness, even from generations before? Leighton maybe a teenager getting ready to graduate and start her real life,if only the house and her father let her.
As I said at the beginning the author did a good job with a
Kelly Olson
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing book! This book made me feel. Feel what? Sorrow, happiness, love, anger all of that and more. This is an exceptional story exploring what happens when a mom/ wife is to afraid to leave her husband until it is almost too late. It explores the feelings of children involved in domestic violence. It explores what happens when a town and neighbors ignore what is right in front of them. There is a bit of magic involved in a way you wouldn't think. All I can say is this is an ...more
Jane
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Visceral, poetic, and powerful. What a beautifully written story about the complexities of living in the terror of domestic violence. McCauley skillfully captures the subtleties that define the difference between a good day and a nightmare. When breathing the ‘wrong’ way can set off a firestorm. Our brave narrator, Leighton, ultimately finds and uses her voice; the crows that have plagued the town are released along with the truth. I couldn’t stop reading this incredible book.
Syed Masood
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pitch-wars-2017
I adored this book!

It is beautifully written. That was my first thought, before I was even past a couple of pages. I was hooked immediately. Kyrie McCauley is a wonderful talent. The craft in this book is simply excellent.

The characters, especially the protagonist, are all well-drawn and real and I won't soon forget them. The story of Leighton Barnes will stay with me for a long time, and I'm so glad I read it. You should as well, as soon as the opportunity presents itself!
Betty Culley
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The voice in this book is so true, the setting very real small-town, and the mysteries (and crows) are woven seamlessly into the story. It is a beautiful read about some hard topics, and it says what needs to be said. I also loved the relationships between the sisters. Funny, real, and heartbreaking.
Dante
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I felt this book in my soul.

Kyrie McCauley is officially an automatic preorder for me. The voice was sensational, and the topic was so well represented that I have a feeling I'll be buying this book several times over and giving it to friends and family.

SO. GOOD.
Monica
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, debut, ya
I received a free arc in exchange for my honest review.

I thought that this was an excellent novel. It's probably one of the best contemporaries I've read, but I don't like contemporaries. I liked all of the characters, and I thought their interactions were interesting and seemed realistic. This book seemed, to me, to do a good job of addressing why someone would stay in an abusive situation (I've never been so it was good to get insight into it).

Surprisingly, I didn't mind the romance.
Emily
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would give this 7 stars if I could. I started it and finished it in about three hours and didn’t look away once.
Ashton
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who needs a voice
Recommended to Ashton by: Librarian
Has some violence and language, but overall very good. The only thing that I would say is that it is a little hard to follow
Kristin Lambert
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tense, emotional, beautiful read. The perfect combination of lyrical prose and suspenseful, page-turning plot. I felt like I was there with main character Leighton as she struggled to keep herself, her sisters and her mother safe, while balancing her guilt for attempting to find love and happiness and escape. The magical realism/surreal elements of the story took it all to another level of artistry, and I can’t wait to see what else this author writes in future.
Tressie
Stacey
Jan 03, 2020

• The Easy Part of Impossible
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • The Lightness of Hands
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Ghost Wood Song
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Nameless Queen
  • Lovely War
  • The Enlightenment of Bees
  • I Kissed Alice
  • The Summer We Lost Her
  • Tweet Cute
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)