Start by marking “If These Wings Could Fly” as Want to Read:
If These Wings Could Fly

If These Wings Could Fly

Tens of thousands of crows invading Auburn, Pennsylvania, is a problem for everyone in town except seventeen-year-old Leighton Barnes. Residents complain about the nuisance, the strangeness of the birds. But for Leighton, it’s no stranger than her house, which inexplicably repairs itself every time her father loses his temper and breaks things. No stranger than growing up ...more
400 pages
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by HarperCollins/Tegen

To ask other readers questions about If These Wings Could Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If These Wings Could Fly

Start your review of If These Wings Could Fly
Jerico
Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Obscenity, domestic violence and abuse, blood, racial slurs

3.75 rounded off to 4 hefty and cumbersome stars.

FRTC upon its official release.

Honestly, I had a hard time deciding what to rate this book. At some point, I enjoyed most of what happened, some part
Celia McMahon
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally, when writing reviews, I use an abundance of "amazing" and "fantastic", but this book deserves a better word. Maybe by the end of the review, I'll find it.

****Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

Gut-wrenching, magnificent...familiar. Just a few words to describe Kyrie McCauley's IF THESE WINGS COULD FLY. This book follows Leighton and her two younger sisters as they live through an abusive father and their complacent mot
Erica
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful I had the chance to read an advance copy of IF THESE WINGS COULD FLY.

I devoured this wise, beautiful, and important book in about two days. There's so much to love here, from the gorgeous writing to the subtle magic to the sweet and empowering romance. The novel is painfully honest about the realities of domestic violence and the ways a community responds to it--or rather how they don't respond. Yet there's so much hope and courage and love here too.

And crows. Lots
Liz Lawson
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book 100 stars if Goodreads would let me.

This book is beautiful, heartbreaking, necessary, and literally (and I do mean literally) gave me chills at certain points.

McCauley is a gorgeous writer, and she seamlessly weaves together a story about a family being eaten from the inside out by an angry and destructive father. The pacing is pitch perfect. Okay now I'm crying writing this review thinking about the story. {I also cried while finishing it like 2 hours ago. I'
Jessica
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*thanks to Edelweiss for the opportunity to read this ARC*

"When the legacy is anger, the inheritance is fear."

Everyone needs to go read this book. It is incredibly insightful at depicting the complexities of domestic violence. I want to write a longer review, but I feel like I won't do the book justice. But I will say a few things:

1.) The elements of magical realism in this book make the story even more intricate, heartbreaking, and beautiful.

2.) "
Barb
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
The author did a very good job with a very delicate subject. The story was from Leighton's POV. She becomes the caretaker of her 2 younger sisters and her mother. They live in a delicate balance with her father. Can an object carry the feelings of what caneZ before, be it fear or happiness, even from generations before? Leighton maybe a teenager getting ready to graduate and start her real life,if only the house and her father let her.
As I said at the beginning the author did a good job wi
Kelly Olson
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing book! This book made me feel. Feel what? Sorrow, happiness, love, anger all of that and more. This is an exceptional story exploring what happens when a mom/ wife is to afraid to leave her husband until it is almost too late. It explores the feelings of children involved in domestic violence. It explores what happens when a town and neighbors ignore what is right in front of them. There is a bit of magic involved in a way you wouldn't think. All I can say is this is an excep ...more
Jane
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Visceral, poetic, and powerful. What a beautifully written story about the complexities of living in the terror of domestic violence. McCauley skillfully captures the subtleties that define the difference between a good day and a nightmare. When breathing the ‘wrong’ way can set off a firestorm. Our brave narrator, Leighton, ultimately finds and uses her voice; the crows that have plagued the town are released along with the truth. I couldn’t stop reading this incredible book.
Betty Culley
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The voice in this book is so true, the setting very real small-town, and the mysteries (and crows) are woven seamlessly into the story. It is a beautiful read about some hard topics, and it says what needs to be said. I also loved the relationships between the sisters. Funny, real, and heartbreaking.
Emily
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would give this 7 stars if I could. I started it and finished it in about three hours and didn’t look away once.
Monica
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, debut, ya
I received a free arc of this from Yallfest kn exchange for my honest review.

Review to come
Kristin Lambert
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tense, emotional, beautiful read. The perfect combination of lyrical prose and suspenseful, page-turning plot. I felt like I was there with main character Leighton as she struggled to keep herself, her sisters and her mother safe, while balancing her guilt for attempting to find love and happiness and escape. The magical realism/surreal elements of the story took it all to another level of artistry, and I can’t wait to see what else this author writes in future.
Shama
Ilena
Jul 31, 2018
Ernesto Cisneros
Kyrie McCauley
Aug 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Prerna Pickett

• The Easy Part of Impossible
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Naturally Tan
  • Look Both Ways
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Enlightenment of Bees
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Red Hood
  • Please Ignore Vera Dietz
  • Angel Mage
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Good Man, Dalton
  • The Girl in the Aubergine Sandals (The Lorraine Innis Series Book 3)
  • brAInbender: Book 9 of the Spies Lie series