Start by marking “Learning Curves (Learning Curves #1)” as Want to Read:
Learning Curves (Learning Curves #1)

Learning Curves

(Learning Curves #1)

Elena Mendez has always been career-first; with only two semesters of law school to go, her dream of working as a family lawyer for children is finally within reach. She can't afford distractions. She doesn't have time for love.

And she has no idea how much her life will change, the day she lends her notes to Cora McLaughlin.

A freelance writer and MBA student, Cora is j
Published August 16th 2018 (first published July 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Learning Curves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning Curves

Start your review of Learning Curves (Learning Curves #1)
Nicola
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

Learning Curves is only my second ever F/F read so I’m definitely not what I’d class a seasoned reader, but this year I did say I wanted to expand the reading horizon and this was a short and sweet addition.

description Y’all really are just adorable together.”

Centralising on lesbian, Elena from Puerto Rico and Cora, an asexual panromantic, Ceillie Simpkiss brings us a low-drama, cute story as these young women grow closer, realising that together they have something special.

description We’ll figure o
Claudie Arseneault
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
LEARNING CURVES is a super sweet, low-drama romance between a puerto rican lesbian and a panromantic asexual girl that is 100% liable to make you hungry. I kinda wish it was a little longer, or perhaps more introspective in its characterization, because I was barely starting to know these girls and root for them before it was over. I also wish the careers mentioned in the blurb came up as more than conversation bits--I think I was expecting them to be part of the obstacles to the relationship. B ...more
Emma
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a free and quick read that was available on kindle unlimited and it was quite nice.
I really appreciated the representation that was included in this novella. Cora is panromatic asexual and has ADHD and Elena is a lesbian young woman and she's also Puerto-Rican. I really enjoyed Elena's family's Christmas party, it was very cute. Also, I loved the fact that Elena likes to cook since it's one of my passions too.
Silvia
This was a cute and easy read!

Rep: fat Puerto Rican lesbian + panro ace with ADHD
Kaa
Hmm. Honestly, the last chapter saved this story for me - super cute and sweet, probably the best written part, and the main characters finally started to have distinct personality and voice. Also, this chapter had the strongest emotional tension and story arc - I think it could have made the basis for a fantastic short story.

A couple other positives for the novella as a whole: the depiction of anxiety felt very real, which is always something I appreciate seeing done well, and there were lots o
Alexa

pairing: Puerto Rican lesbian MC / white panromantic ace girl MC with ADHD

you might be surprised by my rating if you were following my updates, but I actually loved this! I did have a couple of issues but they were mostly unimportant/subjective things

also the ace rep was A+

(proper review to come)
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
I hope it becomes a trend for more authors to release short novellas with less drama and 100x more fluff. Learning Curves is a perfect read for those who are fans of Chelsea M. Cameron or Soft on Soft by Em Ali.

A peer in Elena's class named Cora approaches her one day, asking her to trade notes since she has ADHD and it's difficult for her to concentrate in class. Elena offers to let Cora sit next to her in the class and they slowly develop a friendship filled with library visits and coffee dat
Just the soft fluff I needed

Learning Curves follows Elena and Cora as they meet in a College class and gradually get to know one another. Their relationship has a sweet slow burn quality to it and there’s very low angst involved. I love how Cora’s asexuality isn’t an issue or a point of conflict, but is still something discussed and looked at because there are people who feel sex is a necessary part of a romantic relationship. I also really liked the scene where they talk about how disclosing so
Laura (bbliophile)
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was incredibly cute, had amazing cooking scenes and I loved the romance so, so much.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

*4.5 stars*

When I saw that my friend Ceillie was publishing her first novella– a cis ace f/lesbian f novella with #ownvoices ace, ADHD, and anxiety rep– I immediately jumped at the chance to review it. And, friends, it was exactly the sweet f/f story my heart needed!

Learning Curves follows two main characters whose f
Nicole Field
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f
Oh this one is so sweet, and I don't know that I will find a character who reminds me so much of myself as Cora does.

It's a short story, the first release from Ceillie Simkiss, and outlines the early relationship between Elena, a lesbian Puerto Rican law student, and Cora, an openly queer, asexual business student with ADHD, both studying at the same university.

When Cora first comes up to Elena, it's to ask her for notes from a class in which Cora hyperfocused by accident on one of the other s
M
This was so adorable ad handled anxiety and asexuality in relationships so WELL. I love it.
Elle
2.75 stars - this was an okay read. Some of the dialogue felt off and it ended quite abruptly.
 Ariadne Oliver
I expected to like this a lot more than I did. A fluffy F/F novella with diverse characters seemed like it would be just up my alley. Sadly this was stilted and the character never came alive for me, making it hard to get invested in their romance.
Louise ✨
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
buddy read with: Cande

cute romance between:

♥ Elena, a fat Puerto rican lesbian. She's a law student, loves her big family, knows how to cook. She has anxiety (#ownvoices)

♥ Cora, a white panromantic ace. She's an ADHD (#ownvoices), she always has a book with her, needs hug.

They're both cutie and the romance between them is THE BEST! A part of the plot is set during Christmas
Harker
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Representation: Fat MC who is Puerto Rican Amercian/Lesbian, MC who is ADHD/Panromantic asexual

Learning Curves by Ceillie Simkiss is one of the few novels I've found that hits the right time period for me that balances between young adult and adult, the coveted New Adult genre that I wish was better marketed at large. This book is one of excellent quality and represents NA books well.

The story of graduate students Elena and Cora, as short as Learning Curves is considering it is
Ann Elise Monte
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been following Ceillie on Twitter for a while and was excited when I heard she was publishing a F/F book with a fat MC. Amazon was a headache, but I managed to preorder, which meant I got a nice surprise down the road when release day came.

See this review on Wordpress.

Details at a glance:

Pairings: F/F

Sexual content: None

Rep: Fat Puerto Rican lesbian MC with anxiety (not outwardly labelled), panromantic asexual LI with ADHD

Ownvoices: Yes – panromantic asexual, ADHD, anxiety, sapphic

Content w
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I received Learning Curves from the author, my friend, Ceillie Simkiss. Sometimes I like to read a soft and cute romance, so I definitely wanted to read this. I also had read a few earlier drafts of some of the scenes.

It’s #ownvoices.

___

Isn’t the cover gorgeous? I love the different blue tones on it.

It’s such an adorable and cute story. So adorable! So cute! I also love how it was slow-moving and how it shows their love for eac
Helen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, lgbtqia
This was a sweet little novella about a fat Latinx girl and an ace girl with ADHD, who fall in love. It was a nice, low-stakes, relaxing read where I didn't have to worry about anything bad happening. If you're interested in something really calm and gentle, I feel it would totally work well.

Understandably, as it is a novella, this book is very short. I did feel this might have been to its detriment slightly as I would have loved everything to feel just a little bit more fleshed out. Things see
Kay Solo
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so cute! It was a warm and casual short read, but I loved the ace representation first and foremost, along with everything else. This spoke to me in a lot of ways. I waited for weeks for this to come out, and it did not disappoint.
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super adorable

This quick, light read is the perfect mood for anyone craving some f/f romance, especially one with ace rep. Plus look at that cover!!!!!
Luce
The ace rep is for sure ownvoices, and it’s possible the ADHD rep is too.
Amy
Rep:
Panromantic asexual love interest with ADHD.
Fat, Puerto Rican lesbian main character with anxiety.
Own Voices.
Lily
What a cute and fluffy little novella about two best friends falling in love. Featuring a fat Puerto Rican lesbian main character with anxiety and an asexual panromantic love interest with ADHD this story is perfect for readers who love slow burn f/f romances filled with endearing characters, plenty of sweet stolen moments, a tight-knit family and lots of delicious food. There is something so comforting and genuine about these types of stories that are filled with so much positive representation ...more
Jaylee
This is a very gentle, soft book of two 20-something girls in a relationship with each other. It's a bit like reading fluff fanfics, as each scene shows them being happy and domestic together in really cute ways.

There was one scene I absolutely loved. One girl's family has come into town, and her teenaged cousin is staying with her, but the cousin brings over her friends and boyfriend and throws a party in her living room that gets out of control. The girlfriend shows up and immediately handles
Eli
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute, really short fluffy panromantic asexual/lesbian story. It features ADHD, anxiety, fat, and Puerto Rican representation as well as black and Latinx side characters being Cora’s roommates. This story is mostly focused on Elena’s and Cora’s relationship to each other, but it does mention their family’s religions and how that plays a part in the fact that they both want to date girls. The author also brings up a reference of cockygate!

It was nice to read another story where on
Kirsten Simkiss
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Okay, so I’m 100% biased because this is my sister’s book and I’m super proud of her, so I’m giving it five stars no matter what. BUT. This book is actually a super cute, light little romance. It’s not my usual genre of reading, but it’s definitely enjoyable and sweet.

As someone who grew up along side her, I can definitely see a LOT of things borrowed from our own family, which is quite large and loud - albeit not Puerto Rican. And this creepy cat statues she mentioned? That’s me, right there.
Victoria (Latte Nights Reviews)
I really enjoyed the storyline and characters. I enjoyed getting to know both women and see their relationship move from friendship to more, I do feel that a lot of the growth happened off the page and would have liked seeing more of it happen on page. This novella was quick and fun to get through, and had so much great representation! My one complaint is that the writing style didn't have me fully immersed in the story.
The_Book_Queen
✦ New Adult / college

✦ Curvy Latinx heroine

✦ Ace / panromantic love interest (she also has ADHD)

✦ No sex

✦ Just a really quick, easy read. Cute and straightforward and just what I needed after a DNF!
Isaiah
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
To see a full review check it out here.

Though to be honest, you could use that time to start this book instead. Cute. Fluffy. Full of giggling moments that I live for.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Soft on Soft
  • soft in the middle
  • Mouth to Mouth (Lakeside Hospital, #5)
  • Before You Say I Do
  • Twice Upon A Time
  • Then & Now
  • Wicked Sweet
  • Homespun
  • Rising from Ash (Forged by Fire, #1)
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • Unadulterated Something
  • Sunsets and Shades
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Forever Yours
**PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS ON THIS ACCOUNT. IF YOU WISH TO KEEP UP WITH MY REVIEWS, PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER**

Ceillie Simkiss is an author from southern Virginia. She started writing fiction as an escape from her day job as a small town journalist, and has been at it ever since, with the support of her partner, her dog and her cats.

Learning Curves (2 books)
  • Wrapped Up In You (Learning Curves, #2)