Start by marking “Song for a Lost Kingdom (Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Song for a Lost Kingdom (Book #1)

Song for a Lost Kingdom

(Song For A Lost Kingdom)

It would take two women separated by time to complete music with the power to change history. But will it be enough to save the man they care about most?

Adeena Stuart and Katharine Carnegie were born nearly three centuries apart. Yet their music and an ancient cello connect them to each other and to a man doomed by the Battle of Culloden.

In Book I of the Song for A Los
Published July 16th 2018 by DWA Media

To ask other readers questions about Song for a Lost Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song for a Lost Kingdom

Lili  (@lilikmarcus) Marcus
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
What a page-turner...

As early as Chapter one, I knew I'd love the book because of the heroine herself, Adeena Stuart, a musician wannabe, a cellist. The book started with her in an audition, which somehow reminded of a scene from 'If I stay'. And right then, I realized that she's crazy as a dreamer. And I love characters that are dreamers because they remind me of ME. And Adeena didn't disappoint. She's a big reason why I loved this book. Though I might disagree with some thing she d
Noriko
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book surprised me on every possible front that I had initially imagined. While I have heard a lot of great things about this book and read a lot of rave reviews beforehand, this book far exceeded my expectations and I could kick myself for not having read this book earlier.

I tend to go into a book completely blindly without reading its synopsis, so I had assumed this book would be a fantasy novel, largely because "a Lost Kingdom" made me conjure up a particular image where a group of ch
Shomeret
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received Song For A Lost Kingdom from the Canadian author , Steve Moretti, and fell in love with the premise.

A facile description of Song For A Lost Kingdom would be that it's Outlander with music. This is true, but in a limited way. If you love Outlander because it's about time travel to 18th century Scotland, then Song For A Lost Kingdom may be the sort of book that you'll enjoy. Yet if you're an Outlander fan because of the romance between Jamie and Claire, then you may be disappointed by
Shalini
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have heard that music connects the people of this world. This is the first time that music has connected time. A haunting symphony, a beautiful melody the notes which travel through space to find the rightful owner who could play the soulful piece.

The bridge for this symphony spanning the 1700s and 2000s was the Cello. Adeena, a brilliant talented musician, plays a Duncan Cello, and suddenly finds herself transported to the 1700s as Katherine Carnegie. She finds herself living in b
Keith Oxenrider
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I beta read for Steve a while ago (over a year ago, according to my notes) and really loved his story. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't end and I have to wait until he can make time to finish the story.

The idea of two lives connected across time by a cello, of all things, really intrigued me when I first heard about it. I have a soft spot for time travel stories (and dragons; imagine time traveling dragons!), so was willing to take a gamble. Well, it was a gamble that
Elizabeth Ducie
The first thing that drew me to this book was the sumptuous cover. Who wouldn't want to look more deeply into that picture? And I was disappointed. I read Song for a Lost Kingdom (Book 1) in just over a day and loved every word of it.

It tells the story of twenty-first century musician, Adeena Stuart, and eighteenth century noblewoman, Katharine Carnegie, two women connected by the antique Duncan Cello and a mysterious piece of music. Each time Adeena plays the piece, she is drawn back into Kath
Carolina  (fictionologyst)
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book took place in two different lifetime, three hundred years apart, which somehow connected by one musical intrument. Katharine in 1745 and Adeena in 2017 both are really passionate Celist. It all started when Adeena received an ancient musical score that has been hidden for hundred of years, from her grandmother, the grandmother which everyone believe is delusional because her constant rambling about she being haunted every night by some long lost family. Turns out the woman from Adeena’s ...more
Marti
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating time travel story. Adeena is a talented musician. When she plays an 18th century song on a rare antique cello, she is briefly transported back to 18th century Scotland. I really enjoyed the characters and their realistic difficulty believing what was happening.
Marie Z. Johansen
We're it possible, I might have gone to 4.5 for some relatively minor syntax issues that, while not technically incorrect perhaps, seemed a bit cumbersome to me.

That being said, my question is: when is book 2 available?!

The author had noticed that I seemed to like this genre and asked if I would review this book. I am a big fan of both historical fiction as well as time travel/time slip fiction and the concept of this book is rather remarkable. I have always thought that
Sara Sykora
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It tied together the lives of two women divided by hundreds of years so well. There were many characters in this book, but you never felt like you were confused on who they were or in what time they lived. His characters were very likable and ones you could connect with. The story has some twists and turns that made the story that much better. I can’t wait to see where the author takes this.
Amy
Sep 13, 2018 added it
A Song For A Lost Kingdom was a book that I wouldn't typically read as most of you know I mainly read YA but I have tried reading a wide variety of books this year to expand my reading taste. A Song For A Lost Kingdom is a good read that definitely proves that I can like more than one type of book.

First off I do want to talk about some things that I didn't love about the book. One of the big ones is that it could be edited more. I ended up finding some spelling errors throughout the book and wi
Amy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This book cover captured my attention and the synopsis convinced me I had to read it.

You can read my full review here.

Book one has secured me as a reader for book two and I am hoping it continues the elements I liked and gives us more of the 1700's Scotland.
Cy Young
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: Song For A Lost Kingdom

Cy Young

Ah, yes. Creativity. It takes one to unknown places and unfolds new vistas, amazing insights, and inspiring light.
In “Song For A Lost Kingdom,” Steven Moretti explores these creative phenomena superbly and takes us on a fantastic journey covering two continents and two time periods.
Consider these elements: A talented cellist/singer with a troubled past; her grandmother who has had constant dreams of being contacted by
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Full review: http://swiftcoffee.blog/2018/09/29/so...

This book seemed to be just my kind. There’s music, there’s some kind of magic, there’s history… everything I love in a book. Maybe except for crime/mystery, but the suspense built of not knowing what this time travelling thing is exactly all about made completely up for it! I didn’t really see how these different things would mix, but somehow I instinctively felt that they suit each other well – at the end of the day, doesn’t music always have some kind of magic to it? And
Rekha Rao
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that this is one of the best fantasy fiction that I have ever read! It has been a long time since I read fantasy fiction - the last time was almost a decade and a half ago when I read The Harry Potter series. Not just Adeena, even I felt transported to the magical and mystical world.

The author's writing style is simple and easy to understand. The story is smooth flowing - no beating around the bush or off-tangent scenarios. The concepts are well defined.
Peter Wilson
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I finished the last half in a single late evening. Is this feminist literature ? or historical fiction ? maybe both ?

The old cello and a beautiful piece as an instrument for time-travel is intriguing.

The leading characters particularly the ladies are complex, smart, strong, and likable.

I eagerly await the next Book in the series... maybe Katherine's story ? or Scottish Independence ? : )
Sara Sykora
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.

Lori Harris
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review on my blog, Lori's Bookshelf Reads

Y'all it made me so happy to see a musician featured in a book. It's so rare to see it in fiction and it made me incredibly happy. I'm a musician. I've been playing a flute for 5 years now (and from what I've been heard. It's the hardest instrument ever? Everyone tells me that, and I'm like 'it wasn't?'), and I have just recently picked up the piccolo, and seeing someone just play an instrument almost made me want to cry.

The whole lovi
Jolie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for Song for a Lost Kingdom, I knew that I had to read this book. Not only was this book set in 18th century Scotland, but it was a time travel/love story. So, I dove right in. I am glad that I read the book, but I wish that Adeena was more likable. I will explain in my review why I said that.

Song for a Lost Kingdom starts slowly. The author chose to focus on building the backstories of the main characters. After establishing those backstories, then the main sto
Stacey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a big history fan so I wasn’t sure how I would enjoy this book. I finally managed to find the time to get past chapter 1 and I’m glad I did. I couldn’t put it down once I read the next chapter. I will be eagerly waiting for the next book!
Kath
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Stunning Beautiful Musical Mystery

It seems music indeed moves people, and this story was well written, different, and interesting. I look forward to finding out more about Katherine and her wonderful piece of music.
Keera Moretti
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting to get sucked into this book the way I did. This was one of those books you can NOT put down, the characters are relatable and make you want to scream and laugh at the same time. 100% my new favorite series.
Erica Mae Campos
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally published at my blog: https://livingahundredlives.wordpress...

I really really don’t read that much historical fiction. Well, I am interested but I always feel like I’m going to fall asleep reading one so I really didn’t know what would happen when I started reading this. The Song for A Lost Kingdom talks about the past and the future. And seeing a cello in the cover made me sign up for the tour immediately because oh boy, I love reading books with music on it!

I admit that with everything I’ve bee
Rose
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and I got a lot of Outlander vibes from it! It's set in modern day Ottawa, with some parts taking place in present day Scotland and 18th century Scotland and I couldn't wait to get started with it.

The time travel element of this novel was really interesting and unique to me. I especially loved that music was able to connect Adeena and Katharine's characters, despite them being born centuries apart.

Adeena was incredibly strong willed and passiona
Diane
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and unusual story, interesting angle and likeable characters. The author must have done a lot of historical research. Sort of an Outlander feel, which is fine. The story was just a bit slow at times, but interesting enough to keep me reading it. I had to look up some of the words used, but they were in the online dictionary, so I was OK with that. I see where someone complained about the language, specifically the 'F' word. I don't remember that being an issue at all, but some are more sens ...more
Jessica Belmont
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Song For A Lost Kingdom swept me away. I was instantly drawn into this plot. I love the back and forth between present day and 1700s Scotland. It was always compelling.

I love Adeena, who is brave and talented. She comes off a bit spoiled sometimes, but I very much enjoyed her passion to become a professional cellist. In fact, I loved all the characters in this novel. Everyone was well written, and I was able to differentiate between each and never felt confused.

For fans o
Irene
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I got swept away with the talented Adeena and the brave and romantic Katherin Carnegie.
Both kept me up reading and imagining their nerve, drive and female intuition. Two women who lived three hundred years apart, have so much in common and yet are so different in subtle ways.

The men in their lives are fascinating but none have the power of imagination, courage, determination and devotion that the heroines display.

This is a wonderful fantasy that couldn't possible h
Fiona Andrew
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly written and described, I could hear the music in my head, the lyrics made me want to fight for my homeland. The characters were so realistic you could feel their passion for the cause. I was totally enthralled and read the book in a day, I loved the story and the author has now been added to my favourites list. Grab yourself a copy, a cup of your favourite beverage, curl up in your favourite reading spot and lose yourself in a great time travelling adventure. Highly recommend.
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read! Lots of surprising twists and a lot of fun for anyone interested in Scottish history. At times it reminded me of the Outlander series but, thankfully, without the constant sexual violence.
Hauntedbybooks
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I read the synopsis for this and I couldn't wait to read it! A book about music, Scotland and time travel had me sold! I really enjoyed the writing and the characters.  It was a nice fantasy to get lost in! If you enjoy time travel and romance you will enjoy this read!
I studied journalism at Carleton U. in the last century when it was still a 'profession', but my real education was at the radio station, CKCU-FM. The mighty 93.1.

Worked in public education in Ottawa and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

Ran my own software business for 20 amazing years.

Now writing and podcasting with a focus on history, music, science with

Song For A Lost Kingdom (2 books)
  • Song For A Lost Kingdom (Book #2)