Start by marking “An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home” as Want to Read:
An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home

An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home

Declutter every aspect of your life -- from your wardrobe to your phone-- with this realistic guide to getting neat and keeping things that way.
We've all tried to declutter, and given up halfway through, only to be haunted by a half-tidied cupboard for months at a time. Anna Newton knows that feeling too, and what's more, she's found a way to help. Lean how to make that d
Published February 12th 2019 by Quadrille Publishing (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about An Edited Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Edited Life

Start your review of An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
Annika
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
3.5

I have been watching Anna Newton on youtube for about 2 years now. She is a lovely, calm and bubbly person. Her book echos this, and as I could find no evidence of a 'fellow writer' or ghost author, we can trust this is very much her. The tone of this book is very much kind and bubbly, no shaming because you have not yet reached an 'edited life' and absolutely no hate. While Anna writes a bit like she talks (very bubbly, might not be for everyone) this just heightens the illusion that you're
Lucie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blitzed through this during a bout of tonsillitis! I loved this book - Anna has a writing style that is a pleasure to read, the book is well thought out, jam packed with great ideas without ever feeling ‘preach-y’.

Recently I’ve been feeling quite overwhelmed with life and lost - mid-twenties are a minefield! But there are so many tips I’ve picked up from this book which I can’t wait to put into action to get more control of my life!

If you love this sort of book - or need just a bit of inspiratio
Cynthia
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I could not finish this book. I was really excited about the content as it encompassed all the topics that I seem to be reading about lately (productivity, minimalism, self-care, etc.). I got about halfway through and then skimmed the rest. Frankly, the writing style was just too casual for me. For fans of the author’s blog, it’s probably just fine, but I found the excessive use of caps and the conversational tone a bit grating. There were some good ideas in here and I fully support the messages ...more
Courtney (bookplaces)
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Absolutely loved this life organization how-to book! I am a big fan of Anna Newton's YouTube and Blog and found this to be the ultimate resource for how to achieve Newton levels of life organization. I enjoyed the casual tone that felt more like a conversation with a friend or sister than a formal teacher/authority. I was taken by surprise as the topics covered were meatier and more varied than I expected. This is a step beyond your average 'Minimalism' book and switches up the traditional order ...more
Sandrine Vaillancourt
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was anxiously waiting for this book and was not disappointed!! You recognize the fun tone of voice Anna has in her videos but this book contains a lot more new material that she hasn’t covered in the past. It truly is the perfect bible for organization lovers and anyone with a slight type A personality. I will go back to it again and again (which you can tell by the number of post-its I’ve added to the pages).
Katie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is entirely lovely. Less strict than other lifestyle books, instead purely suggestions, guidance, and a chance to self-reflect. Written in a style that feels well-researched and thoughtful but like a conversation with your best friend! I already do quite a few things in this book, but I now have a framework for success, and an overall editing strategy to apply to my WHOLE life, not just my closet. Going to make everyone in my life read this.
Em
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful tips if you're new to the genre.

Why do all these types of books always assume the reader is a woman? I mean, I am, but the constant assumption is annoying.
Romany
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s my favorite genre, but this one didn’t do it for me. Yes it was about minimizing and streamlining, but there didn’t seem to be any stuff about being poor, or about being environmentally conscious. I wasn’t a fan of the colour of the some of the print (a pale green that was hard to read). It also seemed to have a lot of filler pitched at 90s kids. Why? Surely this is something we actually can take seriously and be mindful about? In general, it lacked critical analysis.
Amy
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall this was a fun read, but it didn't have much in it I haven't encountered in other books. I do enjoy Anna Newton's writing style. Although some of the references and comments will date the book pretty fast. This would be a great book to give someone graduating college.
Laura Scott
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty motivating to make you want to get your shit together but nothing much you don’t know already know. Easy read.
Jaya Rehan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for January. It made me feel inspired to declutter, clean and form smarter habits. Even simple things like creating to do lists to capsule wardrobes fill me with delight, the perfect time to read this and will be using it as a reference to keep me on track! Was a light, fun read and felt like I was taking advice from a friend.
Emily
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple, clean life advice that is well organized and easy to digest. However, her writing style seems more appropriate for spoken word rather than written, and may be a bit distracting for someone who is unfamiliar with her YouTube career. Still, she's a cool gal and the book was an enjoyable read.
Victoria
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Another casual chat with an observant, non-judgmental friend about clutter and what to do about it. The chaos involved in a remodel disrupts one’s things, and this book helped us edit out what no longer works in a redone space. Useful, but not necessarily new, info. Many references are UK centered.
Stacey-Louise
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative, not a stuffy 'throw things away or you won't fulfil a good life' book. Anna knows how to engage with her audience and make references to things we have all thought or do in the past (and present and future!)
Cerys
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved bits, found other parts uninteresting . But I read it in 2 days so maybe I did love it more than I thought?

Just a bit boring at times but I do feel more organised.

Not the kind of book you read again, but will be helpful to have a flick through when I need to organise something in my life.

Love the cover and the layout of the whole thing. Makes a great book for my hallway shelf as it looks pretty.

Paulina Przyborowska
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a fun read. Some motivational points to get my ass moving and to stay organized. A few affirmations to continue doing what I'm doing. Very aesthetically pleasing and visually appealing. Written with humor, insight, light-heartedness, and with no pressure to follow her suggestions, albite having many good ones to help streamline ones life.
Laura Holdstock
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but didn’t rush through it. Has some good ideas and will be good to come back go when I wang to organise a particular area of my life. Sometimes it seemed to complicate very simple ideas though.
Ali Rachelle
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love Anna. Love the simplicity of this book. Love the real kick up my butt it gave me to get my life in order. Thank you!
Kari Bennett
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Some of the things in in this book are probably common sense for most of us who are post-uni. However, there are quite a few things I have found helpful and have been able to implement: I deleted about 10 years worth of emails and now keep on top of my inbox, I downloaded a free budget tracking app which has been a huge help in terms of understanding where my money is going and who doesn't like digital detoxes and self-care. I also think this is the type of book that everyone takes away somethin ...more
Dani Libo
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for Millennials trying to get their shit together (#adulting)
Super funny and easy to read and full of great tips.
Some chapters are more useful than others but you can read in any order and take what you want from it.
I’m at the end of my 20’s and it’s helped me a lot, I only wish I’d have read it in my early 20’s! Would’ve made my life a lot easier.
Alexandra Plesa
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This doesn't say anything revolutionary, but it's comprehensive, which makes it a great choice if you're just starting to figure out how to organize your life. I listened to it on audio and thought the narrator was great.
Hay
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it 3 stars because I truly do like Anna as an "influencer". She's incredibly refreshing and relatable and funny, which truly is shown here in this book. Thankful for no ghostwriters!

I found the first section on 'Life' to be pretty insightful. I did actually sit down and really try to organize and utilize my Google Calendar to have my shit together after many failed attempts at having a fancy planner or bullet journal. I appreciated some of the insights from her perspective about thing
Fran
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent and I highly recommend for anyone who is trying to take steps towards a more organised life and home. The author manages to strike a perfect balance between giving very detailed advice and not coming across as too preachy or unrealistic.

She writes 'I've read enough of these books to know that they can get a little, I wake up in the morning and drink a wheatgrass shot in my white linen loungewear before I meditate for 30 minutes and gaze out into the ocean, but the intentio
Courtney
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were some interesting ideas, but the book is riddled with grammar and spelling errors. Ironically in need of an editor.
Alexa
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching the Anna Edit on YouTube. She’s a fun personality and has some great ideas. But for a book on an edited life, the ideas and wording needed to be edited down more (I eventually skimmed most of it). The tone could be a bit informal with too many references to pop culture. The font colors could be difficult to read. Also (this is an English teacher thing), I felt that she might have referred to some others’ ideas in her book but didn’t seem to give credit in ter ...more
Georgie Minter-Brown
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you need to get your butt into gear to sort out your life, this is the book for you.

I’ve already started to apply some of the strategies to my work, life and home and I already feel a lot more organised! I feel with some books by bloggers they can be hit or miss, but I think Anna was born to write!

This will be on my bookshelf for years to come as I’ll know I’ll be referring back to it a lot.
Ayunda
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I have been a fan of Anna's Youtube and blog because of her laid-back style, great fashion style and super adult-put-together-fancy home. She was the one who first introduced me to capsule wardrobes and editing your life, and so I was eager to get this book and learn more about making my life more "streamlined".

First of all, I would like to note that this book has a very specific audience. I think for this book to be truly enjoyed, you have to be at least two/three of the following: 1) a woman,
what.heather.loves
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"...life organisation...is not just about physical stuff... It's achieved through a combination of decluttering, creating helpful daily habits and shifting your mindset to a more content and purposeful place...Each section features hacks, lists and practical advice to get you started on creating a more organised way of living that's unique to you and your needs as an individual."

A non-fiction guide to editing and streamlining your life by Anna Newton from @theannaedit. Split into three sections,
Ashley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Best for:
People looking for another guide to organizing their lives.

In a nutshell:
Author Newton offers detailed suggestions for organizing one’s life.

Worth quoting:
Not quotes per se, but there are definition a bunch of suggestions that I’ve underlined and will be incorporating into my life.

Why I chose it:
I’m a sucker for a organizational book, especially one that’s visually attractive.

Review:
I do love me a good home and life organizing book. As I’ve probably said before, at this point its usuall
Merina
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I bought this book last year. Beautiful cover. Was excited to read it as a follower of Anna's YT channel. I hadn't read it until now as the small print and narrow line spacing is enough to make me think twice about any book, simply because it makes it feel like hard work.

Having dived right in last week, I've managed to read this in less than a week. I quickly found that much of what was said was familiar to me having followed Anna for a few years now. On the plus side this made it super quick t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The F Word
  • Skincare: the Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide
  • The New Fashion Rules
  • Everything I Know About Love
  • Minimal: A guide to living simply and sustainably
  • A Half Baked Idea: How grief, love and cake took me from the courtroom to Le Cordon Bleu
  • Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
  • Bloom: navigating life and style
  • The Working Woman's Handbook: Ideas, Insights, and Inspirations for a Successful, Self-Made Career
  • Hashtag Authentic: Be your best creative self via your Instagram online presence
  • Expectation
  • How Do You Like Me Now?
  • Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women
  • How Do We Know We're Doing It Right: & Other Essays on Modern Life
  • Simple Matters: A Scandinavian's Approach to Work, Home, and Style
  • The Skincare Bible: Your No-Nonsense Guide to Great Skin
  • The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong