Start by marking “An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Life, at Work and at Home” as Want to Read:
An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Life, at Work and at Home

An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Life, at Work and at Home

Declutter every aspect of your life -- from your wardrobe to your phone-- with this realistic guide to getting neat and keeping things that way.
We've all tried to declutter, and given up halfway through, only to be haunted by a half-tidied cupboard for months at a time. Anna Newton knows that feeling too, and what's more, she's found a way to help. Lean how to make that d
Published February 12th 2019 by Quadrille Publishing (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about An Edited Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Edited Life

Lucie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blitzed through this during a bout of tonsillitis! I loved this book - Anna has a writing style that is a pleasure to read, the book is well thought out, jam packed with great ideas without ever feeling ‘preach-y’.

Recently I’ve been feeling quite overwhelmed with life and lost - mid-twenties are a minefield! But there are so many tips I’ve picked up from this book which I can’t wait to put into action to get more control of my life!

If you love this sort of book - or need just a bit of inspiratio
Sandrine Vaillancourt
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was anxiously waiting for this book and was not disappointed!! You recognize the fun tone of voice Anna has in her videos but this book contains a lot more new material that she hasn’t covered in the past. It truly is the perfect bible for organization lovers and anyone with a slight type A personality. I will go back to it again and again (which you can tell by the number of post-its I’ve added to the pages).
Annika
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
3.5

I have been watching Anna Newton on youtube for about 2 years now. She is a lovely, calm and bubbly person. Her book echos this, and as I could find no evidence of a 'fellow writer' or ghost author, we can trust this is very much her. The tone of this book is very much kind and bubbly, no shaming because you have not yet reached an 'edited life' and absolutely no hate. While Anna writes a bit like she talks (very bubbly, might not be for everyone) this just heightens the illusion that you're
Jaya Nagra
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for January. It made me feel inspired to declutter, clean and form smarter habits. Even simple things like creating to do lists to capsule wardrobes fill me with delight, the perfect time to read this and will be using it as a reference to keep me on track! Was a light, fun read and felt like I was taking advice from a friend.
Stacey-Louise
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative, not a stuffy 'throw things away or you won't fulfil a good life' book. Anna knows how to engage with her audience and make references to things we have all thought or do in the past (and present and future!)
Cerys
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved bits, found other parts uninteresting . But I read it in 2 days so maybe I did love it more than I thought?

Just a bit boring at times but I do feel more organised.

Not the kind of book you read again, but will be helpful to have a flick through when I need to organise something in my life.

Love the cover and the layout of the whole thing. Makes a great book for my hallway shelf as it looks pretty.

Laura Scott
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty motivating to make you want to get your shit together but nothing much you don’t know already know. Easy read.
Fran
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent and I highly recommend for anyone who is trying to take steps towards a more organised life and home. The author manages to strike a perfect balance between giving very detailed advice and not coming across as too preachy or unrealistic.

She writes 'I've read enough of these books to know that they can get a little, I wake up in the morning and drink a wheatgrass shot in my white linen loungewear before I meditate for 30 minutes and gaze out into the ocean, but the intentio
what.heather.loves
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"...life organisation...is not just about physical stuff... It's achieved through a combination of decluttering, creating helpful daily habits and shifting your mindset to a more content and purposeful place...Each section features hacks, lists and practical advice to get you started on creating a more organised way of living that's unique to you and your needs as an individual."

A non-fiction guide to editing and streamlining your life by Anna Newton from @theannaedit. Split into three sections,
Irene Scavello
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before starting this review I have to admit that I might be a little biased, Anna is one of my favourite human beings of all time. I love finding time in a day to read her blog posts and watch her content on social media, so it only makes sense that I enjoyed reading her book just as much. Need a guide to not only survive, but nail the whole adulting thing? Look no further. The book is incredibly helpful in all kinds of aspects of life, even the ones I hadn’t considered I needed help with before ...more
Jasmin
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never buy books by youtubers, no matter how much I love them. Not because I think they are all ghost-written but because I've never been interested. But when Anna announced her book I immediately went on amazon, before the video announcement was even finished. AND I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED!! Reading AEL feels like having a chat with Anna, you can really hear her voice come out of the page. Even though I watched most of her videos and not everything was new to me, there were always tipps and ideas ...more
Jo
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a comforting and engaging read - it feels like you're just chatting with a dear friend who is gently inspiring you to improve and organise your life further. So the style is chatty and in no way preachy; Anna Newton explains what works for her whilst helping readers see how they can adapt it for themselves and their own lives.

I agree with the ideas presented, I like the way the three sections - life, work and home - are separate yet interlink and she has many recommendations of strategie
Katharina
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this because I love Anna and have followed her blog and YouTube channel for years. I read this in her tone of voice and, more than anything, was so proud of what she’s accomplished here. Yay Team Internet! I devoured the book within two days - it’s thoroughly entertaining as well - and came away with a to-do list and a feeling of reassurance that I can adjust some things in my life by referring back to An Edited Life.

If you’re looking for a quick read that gives you nothing but the hard
Chanelle
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not at all preachy and doesn’t come across as if you don’t follow all of these things or do what Anna does your life won’t be edited. Anna says herself in the introduction you can read the book in order or read through the chapters randomly to suit you and what you want to take from the book. Anna provides specific examples, how she sets out her budget, how she meal plans and a very manageable cleaning routine of daily, weekly, monthly, bi-yearly and yearly tasks. This book isn’t te ...more
Poppy99
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Abandoned a 1/3 of the way through. This book is not aimed at my demographic, really not sure why I bought it. I am middle aged, and whilst I am all about continuous and lifelong learning, there was nothing for me here. I don’t even know who she is, I just heard her on a radio show (Jo Good’s show AKA Middle Aged Minx on BBC Radio London) and Jo was raving about her and her blog. Seeing as Jo is older than me, I thought I would buy it. (I love a self help book in January!)

The writing is just a
Aliza
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this in 2 days! A well-laid out and thoughtful book. Anna’s book has a personal touch and I loved being able to hear her voice throughout guiding me along. It also genuinely made me laugh out loud on a few occasions!

I particularly liked the section on budgeting and the checklist at the end of each section summarising next steps. Anna’s handy Virgo tips made me feel inspired to sort my life out. First up- my work wardrobe!

The references in the back and downloadable PDFs just add to t
Nicola Bugg
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this (though I imagine some might find her writing style off putting as it is quite informal).

Personally I found the chapter on budget the most useful- I used to carefully keep track of my spending but got out of the habit. The idea of tracking fixed/discretionary/savings categories was useful and I’d not come across it before.

It also reminded me to get off my phone and get back into the meal planning habit.

Some of the chapters, such as those on wardrobe and decluttering, did
Georgina Howard
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’d been looking forward to this one ever since Anna announced she was doing a book and I definitely wasn’t disappointed. I loved how it’s written exactly as Anna speaks so it felt like she was giving me all her best tips for an organised life (which she was!). I’m pretty organised already but feel like this book will help me get to a whole new level. The resources and recommendations are fab and I love how Anna makes clear at the end that she doesn’t always get it right when it comes to all thi ...more
Louise
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this! Been a fan of Anna’s for many a year and have been looking forward to reading this for a while. The fact that I had to put the book down in chapter 2 to overhaul my budgeting spreadsheet (which is now 10 times better) and I started work on my wardrobe before even getting to that chapter, I think shows how much I enjoyed it! If you need to get your shit together then I highly recommend.
Megan
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book over a weekend and devoured it from head to toe! I thought this would be a book to flick through or to read as and when I needed to but I was wrong. From the beginning, I was hooked. The advice and tips in this book will stay with me forever. Anna also has an incredible way of connecting with her audience whilst still being real and educational at the same time. Absolutely loved this from start to finish!
Charlotte Wayne
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfection.

As someone who has suffered anxiety attacks at the thought of organising my home and general life, Anna Newton's writing style and tips have changed my mindset and made the unbearable almost fun.

Anna Newton has given me the motivation I need to make some very positive changes in my life. Her writing is humourous, easy to follow and refteshingly honest.

I cannot recommend this book enough.
Al Olli
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a good read- helpful and highly entertaining. Although my editing skills are far from Anna's, this book was very motivating and it didn't make me feel bad about my hoarder tendencies. It gave me serious Marie Kondo vibes without all the 'saying hello to your house' kind of stuff. Also, who doesn't love a good Ryan Gosling reference here and there? Will absolutely dig into this again while tackeling my life edit 😉
Rose Hudson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A perfect read for January. Information nicely presented and in Anna’s engaging style.

It is more for millennials rather than someone like me in my 40s but there should be useful tips in there to suit a variety of audiences.

There really isn’t much there which is revolutionary or much beyond common sense but if you want a a gentle push in the right direction you could do a lot worse than pick up a copy.
Kate Anthony
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will constantly return to. Newton provides so many wonderful tips for organizing your life. I am marking it read as I have read a majority of the book, but it can never be fully finished!
Emma Popham
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully laid out and practical from start to finish. Nothing feels out of reach or over the top. I have always loved Anna’s writing style as a follower of her blog but her easy to read style made what can be a dry subject a pleasure to read. Anna is my absolute goals!
Donna Louise
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! I’ve already made progress to edit my life and feel so much better for it! I loved the way it’s written too - Anna’s tone is so likeable and it’s like chatting with a good friend over a cuppa! Love that! Would really recommend 😊
Amie Brewer
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you would describe yourself as Monica from Friends then this organisation book is for you!
(As I’m an organisation freak some of the points I do already, so I skipped a few chapters on dairy management etc..)
Oliver Lewis
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
This book helped me sort out my shizz! It was the best £16.00 I have spent so far this year. I found it so, so inspirational and am totally going to throw out my s**t that’s scattered all over my desk!
Here’s to An Edited Life
Sophie Duggan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well to begin, this book is soooo aesthetically pleasing (however the foil lettering is coming away already *sad face*). Jam packed full of helpful tips that I know I’ll be referring back to for years to come.
M Eales
Good book if it is first foray into clutter clearing and simplifying. But I’ve read quite a few books on the subject so not much new for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wicca: A Modern Guide to Witchcraft and Magick
  • "Mums Know Best": The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
  • Faulks on Fiction
  • Ladurée: Sucré
  • The Working Woman's Handbook: Ideas, Insights, and Inspirations for a Successful, Self-Made Career
  • A Novel in a Year
  • I Love Macarons
  • The Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature and Legend
  • The Vintage Tea Party Year
  • Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to make every day special
  • Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets
  • No. More. Plastic.: What you can do to make a difference – the #2minutesolution
  • Fearie Tales: Stories of the Grimm and Gruesome