Start by marking “Women Invent the Future: A Science Fiction Anthology” as Want to Read:
Women Invent the Future: A Science Fiction Anthology

Women Invent the Future: A Science Fiction Anthology

“The starting point for building a better future is to imagine that future” Catherine Mayer, author & co-founder of the Women’s Equality Party

Technology is transforming how we live, love, learn and earn but only 19% of the people who create it are women.

From Star Trek to Snow Crash, new technology is deeply influenced by science fiction – and women are often
ebook
Published 2018 by doteveryone

To ask other readers questions about Women Invent the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Invent the Future

Start your review of Women Invent the Future: A Science Fiction Anthology
Sadie Slater
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Women Invent the Future is an anthology of SF by women writers produced by the responsible technology think-tank doteveryone and made available for free, either as an ebook or as a print copy in return for postage. I can't remember exactly when I downloaded my copy, but I decided to give it a go this weekend as it was the first unread book on my Kindle and I thought it might be easier to read short stories than to try to concentrate on the plot of a novel while I was at Eastercon.

There are six
Kam Yung Soh
Sep 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
Free to download (ePUB format) from their website.
Caroline
I loved some of the concepts in this collection - particularly those in 'The Adoption' by Anne Charnock and 'A Darker Wave' by Molly Flatt.

The selected short stories are all very different in topic and tone, and some appealed to me more than others. I think I'm too squeamish for Cassandra Khaw's visceral prose - it was so brilliantly bloody that I almost had to look away at some parts!

I don't read science fiction very often, but a lot of the titles on the 'Suggested reading' list at the end of
Robyn (FailFish)
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall, this was a good anthology but some stories definitely appealed to me more than others. I liked the premise - female science fiction authors exploring their visions of the future - and the breadth of areas within science fiction explored. The stories were arranged in chronological order, from closest to the present day to farthest in the future. The finale was a poem based on 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K Dick.

'The Cure for Jet Lag' by Madeline Ashby focused on
Octavia Cade
Honestly, I was expecting a little more from this. From the most literal perspective, I suppose it does what it says on the tin. This small anthology, consisting of six stories and a poem, is indeed a collection of sci-fi stories set in the future, and they are all written by women. That said, when you have a title like that, you are given to expect, I think, some sort of reason behind it. The introduction is all about encouraging diversity in tech, in getting more women into STEM, so you would ...more
Marie
Free book!

Read for The Literary Life Podcast: 20 for 2020 Reading Challenge.

7. A Collection of Short Stories

The first two stories were good, but not much of it is..... well, not that groundbreaking. Becky Chambers' story was great as well.

I was thinking that Anne Charnock's story is potentially dangerous considering the mainstream "feminist" bent of the collection, given that she presents "bottle" babies, that is, babies developing in artificial wombs through normal, IVF or parthogenesis
Natasha (Diarist) Holme
I loved the idea--that the future is in part shaped by science fiction, and as science fiction writing and characterisation is male-dominated, then we build a better future by encouraging diversity, by getting female sci-fi authors and characters out there.

However, I didn't think this collection lived up to the idea. For example, the first story focused on four characters, three of them male. The female character was the one expected to do the work and ended up being saved by a man.

There were
In the God-Fields by Liz Williams - 4/5
Androids Dream of Electronic Freedom by Walidah Imarisha - 4/5
Richard Parent
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic short collection of science fiction stories (and a poem) by women. Thought-provoking, moving, and seriously kick-ass. Also, the brief list of recommended readings (fiction and non-fiction) is excellent. Do not miss this enjoyable, important, free book!
Thistle & Verse
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I only read Ytasha Womack's short. I'd heard her discussing her motivation for writing it and some of the guiding principles of her work and was intrigued. I ended up liking the concept more than the execution. It was a poem, which isn't really my thing.
sillypunk
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very short but a lovely collection of stories
Kashmira Wagh
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The stories get better and better.. I really enjoyed this anthology.
Erin
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Fresh and new, unexpected themes and glorious imagery.
Suzanne Loving
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The themes linger.
Velma
Review on the way
Nate
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every story in this anthology is an amazing hit, each one deserves a place on my favorites. Just pure, excellent, beautiful scifi.
Glenn
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice idea to bring more female writers to the SF genre. Shame it's almost completely unrelatable to anyone but the most middle-class silicon-valley types. Chuck this out, pick up some Le Guin instead.
Eric Hart

• Cesar Vallejo - Poesia Completa
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • Nightmare Abbey
  • Jesus the Christ
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)
  • Lysistrata
  • Count Zero (Sprawl, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Los f*cking 30
  • Idiotizadas, un cuento de empoderhadas
  • On Michael Jackson
  • Revolverherz (Chas Riley, #1)
  • Rock Steady: Brilliant Advice From My Bipolar Life
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • Logged Out