Start by marking “Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life

Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life

The internationally bestselling self-empowerment book from influencer, rapper, and spoken word artist Humble the Poet, now available in a new edition with a new foreword by the author. Unlearn offers short, accessible, and counterintuitive lessons for reaching our full potential.

Beloved for his sincerity, playfulness, and sage advice, globally famous rapper, spoken word ar
Published April 9th 2019 by HarperOne (first published March 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Unlearn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlearn

Dimitra Tsotso
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read this book the "normal way"; at the bus on your way to work or under the sun at a beach while you can hear little kids screaming in ecstasy like they've never experienced summer before.

You can read it with a pack of post-its in hand to take as many quotes out of it so you can be that person on Instagram [I am that person] or, if you are a monster, you can write on the book.

However, there are really three ways to go through the sayings of this book, and I chose the third one; spend s
Navpreet
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: introspection
I picked this book up a couple of days ago and I'm probably not gonna put it down any time soon. I'm going to use it as something I can turn to whenever necessary (or just when I feel like it) to just get a little knowledge from Humble. Awesome book.
Matthew
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. So poorly written, so lacking in editing, so grammatically flawed and full of punctuation errors, it actually hurt my conscience to read. I thought if I started copy editing it myself, pen in hand, it might be a more fun experience, but all it did was make me feel like I'd wasted my money.

I was really excited to hear that Indigo now has their own publication company. I was heartbroken to find out that said company, apparently, does not have an editing staff.
Oviya Balan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
A book that was simple, crisp and on to the point. Couldn't have asked for a better life lesson in words. Please give it a read.
T
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. So much wisdom in this. Great book if you've lost you're path in life. Definitely answers the questions I've always been wondering about life.
Ashley Gowens
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
It's a quick read. A lot of the points are common, but it's nice to hear another version of the message. Great book!
R.E. B.
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book.

To be completely honest; I had never even heard of Humble the Poet until I came across this book in a Chapters. I had read a few other books similar to this(Subtle Art and Fuck It) so I thought why the hell not read This one as well.

Humble made a lot of of really good points as did the other books, that I plan on using to my full potential. He talks a lot about cutting off toxic people and to not hold on to the past and to forgive those who have done wrong to you, which are all t
Angela
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to articulate exactly how I feel about this book. I didn't read this book for my own enjoyment; I read it as part of my mission to find short texts that will interest high school students. I think the book succeeds in that regard: the style is informal, easy-to-read, and generally uplifting without being unrealistically optimistic (note: some profanity, but not enough to be a dealbreaker).

However, it's not a very impressive book if you sit down and read it cover to cover. Humble The P
Andra
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat repetitive, but the author notes at the beginning that all chapters can be taken on their own. I think this is a book you can come back to, pick up, and read again from any point to review and inspire the soul. The writing is strong and promotes non-preachy, to-each-his-own advice.
Chris Roberts
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am not the only person in the world. I am the only person with the world inside of me.

Poetry is utter trash.

The mind is constantly at work,
in harmony with cognitive core
and what is entrenched in secondary subliminal,
too, deciphering radiation matrix,
but one's studies must be allowed a respite,
a temporary state of grace.

#poem

Chris Roberts, God Yesterday
Kate
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is kind of like a self help book. It’s a collection of advice for life. I thought the author made a lot of valid points, and it’s a book I might be interested in owning. It’s the type of book where you could go back and re-read various sections; however, I found some parts a bit repetitive.
Jeremy Cox
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humble offers nuggets of wisdom throughout this entire book. He never explicitly states this, but he does offer a lot of Stoic philosophy and insight gained as an artist and teacher. I will definitely re-read in the future.
Queen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I would read this again and use it as a daily motivational. It is filled with so much about life and how we react to it and the people in it.
Julia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If everyone in this world would read this book what a different world this would be.
Prachi D
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you keep at your bedside table and read once a year!
Parul
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read.
You wilI find yourself nodding through out the book because it is filled with facts and the things we don't accept consciously.
Awesome writing with simple words .You may feel like this book is talking to you just like a friend.
Tish
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too repetitive but the overall message is inspiring.
Catherine
The content and advice in "Unlearn" deserves 3 to 4 stars. The author hits on some important life lessons that I definitely needed a reminder on. Unfortunately, the editing and layout deserve 0 to 1 star (the latter if I'm being nice). How this book got to the publishing stage without anyone picking up on the countless errors and instances of awkward phrasing in each of the 101 mini-essays in the book is a real mystery, and the boring layout and badly chosen (and edited) pull quotes just add ins ...more
Ashley Corbett
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a self-help book that boosts your confidence and works to push you towards your dreams than this is the one. In fact - this is the only self-help book you’ll need. Not only because it IS good, but also because it’s full of all the same things as every other self-help book out there, but with a bit more “realness” and modernity to it. Definitely, if you’re anywhere from 10-40 it’s probably the right one for you. I was a bit disappointed because I found Humble really pushes y ...more
GONZA
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not know the author of this book of well know basic psychological truths, but if he is famous and somebody will learn some new stuff from this volume, than ok. As far as I am concerned these truths were already known and used by me, but it is easier when you studied to become a psychotherapist.

Non conosco l'autore di questo libro su alcune ben note "veritá psicologiche", ma se attraverso il suo essere famoso, qualcuno che ignora imparerá qualcosa da questo volume buon per lui. Per quanto m
Ishque Nanni
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book to uncondition all the self limiting thoughts, and have a new way to introspect
JennieWithTheBooks☮️(◕‿◕✿)
A very simple and unpretentious delivery of ideas on how one can achieve a fulfilling life. Everyone will face most of these challenges, “simple truths”, in their life at one point or another, depending how far along the journey you are already, you may be all too familiar with most of them.

I didn’t find that Humble came across as preachy at all while explaining all these “simple truths”. YES, there are actually 101 of them, however some of them are the same, just re-worded a little differently.
Soukyan Blackwood
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: Nobody can give us happiness. Not only they can’t, even if they could, they don’t have to. Nobody owes you happiness, no matter what you gave them. Happiness has to be made, for you, by you. Not so easy, you say? Well, if it was, we’d not need books like this, right? Instead Humble teaches us to be more conscious about our lives. It’s hard to do, because we’re often blinded by emotional strain, stress, pain, b
Nathan Mayer
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have this knack for spotting a new self-help book at work and deciding "Oh this sounds good" and then I ultimately learn nothing from it because it is filled with nonsensical cookie-cutter advice that doesn't connect. That was not the case with this book. I adored this book from cover to cover. I'd never heard of this guy before and I really enjoyed the way he wrote and said things and the way every entry had a "power quote" as I like to call it at the end of it. 101 entries of what are basica ...more
Carey Calvert
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
... Kanwer Singh, aka Humble the Poet's goal is to shake your butt, shake your heart and shake your mind. The former elementary school teacher turned rapper and spoken word poet has written a wondrously torrid delight that neither begs nor implores you ... to do anything.

To the contrary, he's appreciative that you've even offered him a chance to have this conversation with you hidden in a book. Written in an unabashedly communicative tone, Unlearn, 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life, doesn't s
Lauren Van Keulen
This book is filled with good advice. Humble expands upon many ideas we already know very well (don't sweat the small stuff, the only constant is change, we all die in the end, etc.) but may often forget. Sometimes it's nice to have a reminder of all of these life outlooks.

I had two main reasons for not giving it more stars. Firstly, it is incredibly repetitive (which the author mentions) - the 101 'lessons' could have easily been condensed into about 25 due to how much overlap they all shared.
Shaula Antares
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Overall a nice/entertaining read if you're just starting to explore the realms of your inner self and how it relates to the world around you.

I'm pretty certain that I would have appreciated this book on a different level back when I was 18. Fast forward 12 years (more than enough time to read some well articulated books on resilience, psychoanalysis, power of will, etc.) I am hesitating between rating this book 2 or 3 stars.

But then again, I am thinking: "The author (to my knowledge, at least)
Alexander Rivas
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
I listened to this author interviewed on the School of Greatness Podcast and that led me to read this book. I felt like the podcast would have been enough but there is a lot of wisdom in this book that I need to repeatedly read because it is that important. One thing I can say about the author is that his mindset is amazing and I can only hope to one-day articulate such wisdom in the same manner as this author.

The theme of "unlearn" is important in my opinion because most of what holds us back
Erin
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I slowly picked away at this throughout the year, as you can see. It was great to pick up and read one "truth" now and again so that it could be processed on its own. Most of this book is simple, straight forward ideas/thoughts/suggestions that most of us already know, just ones that we have forgotten. Dealing with a lot of life's intricacies is something that we tend to over-complicate or over-analyze. The words in this book brings us back to basics, "no you don't have to worry about what other ...more
Melissa
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some wonderful insights and is likely a book I will refer back to again and again for inspiration. This is a particularly good read for someone hoping to make a change in their life, or someone who is questioning themselves. This book isn't exactly classic literature, nor is it a typical "self-help" book, but it is a great quick and easy to digest "self care" book that isn't preachy or full of psychological jargon. The only reasons I didn't give it 5 stars are because I found the e ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Attic Clowns
  • Saving Georgia
  • Strings
  • The Mindful Writer
  • Vento scomposto
  • Chance Fortune and the Outlaws
  • Betty & Veronica (2016-) #1 (Betty & Veronica (2016-2017))
  • The Better Life: Small Things You Can Do Right Where You Are
  • How to Make a Zombie: The Real Life (and Death) Science of Reanimation and Mind Control
  • What the Fork Are You Eating?: An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate
  • Afterlife with Archie #5: Escape From Riverdale
  • Gun Baby Gun: A Bloody Journey into the World of the Gun
  • Sleeping Giant: How the New Working Class Will Transform America
  • The Red Hand (Tribe, #1)
  • Why We Hate Us: American Discontent in the New Millennium
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • Invader Zim #1
  • Hiding from the Reaper and Other Horror Poems
Humble the Poet (Kanwer Singh) is a Canadian-born rapper, spoken-word artist, poet, internationally bestselling author, and former elementary school teacher with a wildly popular blog with over 100,000 monthly readers. He has more than 930,000 social media followers, and his first edition of Unlearn is a Globe and Mail bestseller. He has performed at concerts and festivals including Lollapalooza a ...more
“Comfort zones, after all, are the enemy of growth” 4 likes
“When someone let’s us down, we can take the time to figure out if we want to allow that to happen again. After all, the past is just that, the past. We can only focus on improving the choices of our present to hopefully have a better future.” 4 likes