Start by marking “Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life

Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life

The internationally bestselling self-empowerment book from influencer, rapper, and spoken word artist Humble the Poet, now available in a new edition with a new foreword by the author. Unlearn offers short, accessible, and counterintuitive lessons for reaching our full potential.

Beloved for his sincerity, playfulness, and sage advice, globally famous rapper, spoken word ar
Published April 9th 2019 by HarperOne (first published March 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Unlearn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlearn

Start your review of Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life
Dimitra Tsotso
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read this book the "normal way"; at the bus on your way to work or under the sun at a beach while you can hear little kids screaming in ecstasy like they've never experienced summer before.

You can read it with a pack of post-its in hand to take as many quotes out of it so you can be that person on Instagram [I am that person] or, if you are a monster, you can write on the book.

However, there are really three ways to go through the sayings of this book, and I chose the third one; spend s
Matthew
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. So poorly written, so lacking in editing, so grammatically flawed and full of punctuation errors, it actually hurt my conscience to read. I thought if I started copy editing it myself, pen in hand, it might be a more fun experience, but all it did was make me feel like I'd wasted my money.

I was really excited to hear that Indigo now has their own publication company. I was heartbroken to find out that said company, apparently, does not have an editing staff.
Candie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have to admit that the editing needs a lot of work and it could get very repetitive, but the subject matter was great. There was a lot of useful information and thoughts to ponder and it is one of those books that you need to buy a copy of so that you can randomly read over and over again with a highlighter.

I just really like how I felt after reading this book. I felt so happy, optimistic and inspired. It was very motivational.
Navpreet
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: introspection
I picked this book up a couple of days ago and I'm probably not gonna put it down any time soon. I'm going to use it as something I can turn to whenever necessary (or just when I feel like it) to just get a little knowledge from Humble. Awesome book.
Oviya Balan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
A book that was simple, crisp and on to the point. Couldn't have asked for a better life lesson in words. Please give it a read.
T
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. So much wisdom in this. Great book if you've lost you're path in life. Definitely answers the questions I've always been wondering about life.
Ana
Audio is the way to go with this book and I recommend reading one chapter a day and taking the time to fully grasp its possible application and implication.
Chris Roberts
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am not the only person in the world. I am the only person with the world inside of me.

Poetry is utter trash.

The mind is constantly at work,
in harmony with cognitive core
and what is entrenched in secondary subliminal,
too, deciphering radiation matrix,
but one's studies must be allowed a respite,
a temporary state of grace.

#poem

Chris Roberts, God Yesterday
Andra
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat repetitive, but the author notes at the beginning that all chapters can be taken on their own. I think this is a book you can come back to, pick up, and read again from any point to review and inspire the soul. The writing is strong and promotes non-preachy, to-each-his-own advice.
Ashley Gowens
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
It's a quick read. A lot of the points are common, but it's nice to hear another version of the message. Great book!
Jamie Jagpal
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple and easy to read, straight to the point and filled with countless bite sized life lessons along the way. Great book to pick up day to day. 4/5.
Angela
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to articulate exactly how I feel about this book. I didn't read this book for my own enjoyment; I read it as part of my mission to find short texts that will interest high school students. I think the book succeeds in that regard: the style is informal, easy-to-read, and generally uplifting without being unrealistically optimistic (note: some profanity, but not enough to be a dealbreaker).

However, it's not a very impressive book if you sit down and read it cover to cover. Humble The P
Queen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would read this again and use it as a daily motivational. It is filled with so much about life and how we react to it and the people in it.
Julia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If everyone in this world would read this book what a different world this would be.
Amory
Nov 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Far better to unlearn this pointless nonsense was ever committed to paper. A real bumwipe of a book
M.J. Friday
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have every read and that’s saying a lot! This book simply helps you take a look at your current thought process in new way. For me, it helped me understand that most of the road blocks in my life began in my mind and I manifested them in my life. If one can make road blocks a reality then one can make dreams a reality. Let me be clear, this book does not sell you a pipe dream of everything will be roses, it give you hard truths and new way to look at life.I would ...more
Kate
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is kind of like a self help book. It’s a collection of advice for life. I thought the author made a lot of valid points, and it’s a book I might be interested in owning. It’s the type of book where you could go back and re-read various sections; however, I found some parts a bit repetitive.
Jeremy Cox
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humble offers nuggets of wisdom throughout this entire book. He never explicitly states this, but he does offer a lot of Stoic philosophy and insight gained as an artist and teacher. I will definitely re-read in the future.
Jennifer Parker
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I wouldn't buy this book, but I am happy Iit found at the library. No major revelations for me, but it might be just the book for the next person who picks it up. My favorite piece of wisdom, probably because I agree with it strongly is about expectations. "Expectations are a bigger enemy to our happiness than our circumstances; the fewer expectations you have, the better off you are." Now, not everyone may agree with that, but if you think about the holidays and how even adults find they have h ...more
Solene
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t vouch for people determining truths for others to live by.
That being said, these are HIS truths. A lot of his learnt lessons made sense to me and I value the fact that he’s taking positions.
So I vouch for this book and I invite the reader to make up their own mind on each chapter.
Todd Myers
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read 101 short chapters that can be used randomly as daily inspiration.
Matt Cannon
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book full of simple, yet deep truths. There was repetition throughout, but he explained that was by design. Sometimes you need to hear things multiple times before it sinks in.
Mr. Armstrong
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is really a three, but the fourth star is because I really needed this book this week.
Prachi D
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you keep at your bedside table and read once a year!
Mama Ganja
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So great! Everyone should have a copy of this book to live by!😁✌🏻
Tish
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too repetitive but the overall message is inspiring.
Rebecca Horn
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid, simple wisdom 👍
Catherine
The content and advice in "Unlearn" deserves 3 to 4 stars. The author hits on some important life lessons that I definitely needed a reminder on. Unfortunately, the editing and layout deserve 0 to 1 star (the latter if I'm being nice). How this book got to the publishing stage without anyone picking up on the countless errors and instances of awkward phrasing in each of the 101 mini-essays in the book is a real mystery, and the boring layout and badly chosen (and edited) pull quotes just add ins ...more
Ashley Corbett
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a self-help book that boosts your confidence and works to push you towards your dreams than this is the one. In fact - this is the only self-help book you’ll need. Not only because it IS good, but also because it’s full of all the same things as every other self-help book out there, but with a bit more “realness” and modernity to it. Definitely, if you’re anywhere from 10-40 it’s probably the right one for you. I was a bit disappointed because I found Humble really pushes y ...more
Katie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I tried to like it but I couldn't. To be fair, maybe I'm not the "self help" type of person. It's a lot of oversimplified advice you've been told a million times. While the advice is decent it's way too vague and circular. I found the narrator at times quite annoying, sometimes downright demeaning. (I certainly do not owe you 5 bucks for pointing out a basic flaw in your argument) This is nothing new to anyone who's ever bothered to talk to the perpetually high guy who sat in the back o ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Beauty of Discomfort: How What We Avoid Is What We Need
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • The Assertiveness Guide for Women: How to Communicate Your Needs, Set Healthy Boundaries, and Transform Your Relationships
  • Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime
Humble the Poet (Kanwer Singh) is a Canadian-born rapper, spoken-word artist, poet, internationally bestselling author, and former elementary school teacher with a wildly popular blog with over 100,000 monthly readers. He has more than 930,000 social media followers, and his first edition of Unlearn is a Globe and Mail bestseller. He has performed at concerts and festivals including Lollapalooza a ...more

News & Interviews

“Unhappiness is simply when the picture in your head doesn’t match the picture in front of you.” 9 likes
“Give a damn about yourself first, then those who give a damn about you, and then see if you have any damns left to give.  ” 8 likes