Start by marking “A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)

A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)

After playing a forbidden spell-song to save a village from rats, 12-year-old piper Patch Brightwater is thrown in jail. But there he meets Wren – a noble girl under a rat-shaped curse – and together they befriend Barver, a fearsome dracogriff, and set off on a grand adventure filled with sorcerers, dragons, bandits…and one very deadly enemy.

From the depths of the Tiviscan
Published September 6th 2018 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darkness of Dragons

Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An ARC was provided via USBorne YA in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

There are times when all you want to do is go back to the uncomplicated reading and stories of our childhood – and I couldn’t believe that I found exactly that and oh so much more in A Darkness of Dragons by S.A. Patrick.

Based on the Pied Piper of Hamelin; this book, the first in a
Kateryna
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a boy who wants to become a magical piper but ends up being put in jail for playing a forbidden spell song. It‘s a great fun and a fast-paced adventure full of magic, sorcerors and dragons. The book is action-packed with some great characters and a really captivating storyline. I truly enjoyed the progression of the story and every part of the journey. Not once does the journey become boring or too long. Though one star off for a story being left on a big cliffhanger. Anyho ...more
Travel.with.a.book
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant fantasy novel, it's astounding and the Author has written very rare aspects of the subjects! It is different and refreshing… excellent and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone. I want to thank @usbourneya for providing me with this stunning copy! I really enjoyed it so much and I can say that fans of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON will love it!
The novel starts with Patch Brightwater which is a very strong and smart boy that wants to be a piper, using the music from his pipe to make magica
Blue
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!
I repeat, I loved this book that much that it was extremely hard to fault anything about it. I finished the book two days ago and over the course of the last two days found nothing I could even nit-pick on. A Darkness of Dragon’s was wonderful! I need more!
Our journey begins with Patch Brightwater, a 12 year old apprentice piper that comes across a village that is over run with rats, and in desperate need of assistance. Eagar to assist, Patch puts his lungs to work and plays a
Danielle Miller
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I've just spent a day reading this from cover to cover. A fabulous tale of magic, sorcerors and dragons, set against a clever re-telling of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Picked this one up at a book signing, and managed to have a chat with both the author and his son Elias (who "helped"). I'd had recommendations about this being really impressive, but I tend to read quite dark, adult fiction. YA tends to be a bit too "safe" and often patronising, and this is set at 10-11year olds. I was half-e ...more
Annette
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the definition of an impulse buy. I don't even really know for sure why I bought it. Maybe it was the word dragons. Maybe it was the colorful cover. Maybe the premise that the Piper of Hamelin had something to do with this. Or maybe it was the sticker that my version is signed by the author. But I bought it and I'm so happy I did!

This was a really cute adventure story with a lot of world building that really surprised me. From the very first page the story is gripping and the mythology
Nikki
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars to this glorious middle grade book. It has magical questing (yes, again, I really do love a quest!), a dracogriff, the pied piper of Hamelyn, a cursed girl, and a misguided but brave boy. I mean what’s not to love?

I love the piper mythology, and think the author did a fantastic job of weaving a known story into something more. Plus I love that it’s one I’ve not seen a retelling of before. 💙

I super loved Wren the rat, she is so cute and smart. I am definitely looking forward to seeing h
Frances
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great new series, looking forward to more. Perfect for top juniors that like magical adventures. Lots of peril and lovely characters. Sorry when it finished as I will now have a wait to see what happens next.
Connie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is magic in music. Listen....

Our November kids book of the month.
Patch Brightwater is a young piper who is thrown into prison for a very very long time, for playing forbidden spells on his pipe, it's the same prison that holds the evil piper of Hamelyn.
When the prison walls are attacked by dragons Patch discovers that the prisoner in the mask is not the piper of Hamelyn and that the real piper is on the loose.
Patch manages to escape the ruins of the prison, and hoping that the custodians b
Holly (bookology)
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new fantasy series, can't wait to see where the adventure goes!
Andrew
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left with many things to ponder

A few words that describe this story are, ‘vibrant’, ‘confused’ and ‘unfinished’. It’s a fun tale, it moves at good pace and the setting of being events the years after the Pied Piper has stolen the children from Hamelyn, is super, but... the title is baffling. If you’re expecting a story about dragons you’ll be sorely disappointed. Apart from a very brief cameo, the only dragon in the story is a dracogriff (half dragon, half griffin) who talks and acts like a huma
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Patch Brightwater, a trainee Piper who has been sent to prison for playing illegal magical songs that put people in danger, as he learns that the evil Piper of Hamelyn has escaped and he teams up with dracogriff Barver and Wren, a girl who has been cursed to live a rat to set off on a journey to stop him, as well as accomplishing other more personal quests along the way. As you will likely have guessed, this book is set in the world of the Pied Piper, but it`s set ten years ...more
LB
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!
Using a familiar character from the fairy tales we had growing up, The Hamelyn Piper, with his magic pipe, we now have a whole world of pipers who can use a variety of songs to do a number of great and terrible things. The Hamelyn Piper is infamous in this world. Caught and locked up for stealing children of both humans and dragons, and Patch ends up in the cell next to him.
Patch Brightwater, a disgraced piper student, was caught after running away from the Pipers a
Katy Noyes
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enthralling spin on the Pied Piper traditional tale, memorable characters.

4.5 stars. I took great delight in this story. A completely fresh look at a story 'around' the Pied Piper legend, it fleshed out a world in which Pipers can use their training and power with music to rid towns of rats, help influence battles by affecting confidence, even heal.

Young Patch Brightwater meets a rat, really an enchanted girl called Wren, when ridding a village of its infestation with his pipe. Ending up in pris
BooksForTopics
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy fans will be blown away by this exciting and original adventure. Imagine a cross between How to Train Your Dragon and The Pied Piper of Hamelin and throw in some musical spells, dracogriffs, spectacular battles and a quest of epic proportions.

Patch Brightwater wants to be a successful piper, using the music from his pipe to make magical spells. But things do not quite go to plan when he tries to help a village with a rat problem and ends up being put in jail for playing a forbidden spel
Fátima
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I last read a middle-grade book. And to be fair this one caught me off guard, because it was so much fun!

In this story you have your usual elements of magic: there are some sorcerers, some dragons, a witch... and pipers. Indeed, pipers can create magic out of songs. That unusual concept is what induced me to read this book in the first place, and I don't regret my choice.

Plus, the plot is quite entertaining once you get use to it and the relationship between the protagon
Book Gannet
This is great fun, a fast-paced adventure that takes the Pied Piper tale and gives it a thorough fantasy shake, with added dragons. And griffins. And dracogriffs. And a lot more Pipers.

Basically, if you know any young readers who enjoy fantasy adventures, they will probably love this. The world is close enough to ours to be familiar, with a nice touch of magic and mythical beasties to keep things interesting. I really liked the Pipers and their magic, and the hint that not all is completely well
Clara Owen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exceptional example of a 9-12 Children's Fantasy-Adventure novel.

The base concept is a re-telling of the Pied Piper myth, expanded and imagined out into something vast and exciting and full of fantastical creatures and magic and adventure for our three intrepid heroes - Patch, the escaped criminal, Wren, a cursed girl changed into a rat, and Barver, the rough-around-the-edges Dracogriff. The three characters form a heartfelt and genuine friendship, which allows for several emotive scenes thr
Catherine
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh this was fantastic! I'm all for reading YA books but I don't generally pick up books that fall into the age group below YA, which this one does, but my brother got it as a freebie from work and gave it to me and I'm so glad I read it!

It was action-packed with some great characters (most notably a girl cursed into being a rat that the protagonist teaches sign language to so that they can communicate - loved that so much and can imagine kids asking to learn sign language because of it, brilli
Joanne
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2018
This book is full of magic, friendship and adventure! It's a brilliant retelling of Hamelin the Pied Piper but with dragons thrown in! This book has it all: a sign language-talking rat, a sorceress that foretells prophecies and some good plot twists to keep you on your toes.

I really enjoyed this book even though it's targeted at children - it's got everything you could want in a story with some awesome characters. What's not to love? And the last few sentences are pure brilliance. Magic runs thr
Angela Groves
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great intro to the fantasy genre for kids. The main characters are original and really suck you in to their journey. The author has done an amazing thing by taking the story if the Pied Piper, running with it and creating a whole world and lore around it, adding in Dragons, (cause let's face it, who doesn't live Dragons?) and making a very unique world and story that at the same time is so familiar. Brilliantly done.
Chloe
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow!!!! Great book, fun characters, good and strong story line.

I would say the middle was a bit boring but overall very well written. This book was also left on a cliff hanger so now I want the next book but I have to wait for next year....

Can’t wait to read the next book!
Bev
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dragons, Pied Piper of Hamelyn and magic - what’s not to like?! Thoroughly enjoyed this first adventure, read it all in one big greedy gulp. Perfect for young (& slightly more mature....ahem) fantasy lovers, fast paced, full of action with a strong theme of friendship running through it.
Vincent Ripley
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My book review will be published on www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com very soon!
Kez
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story and cannot wait for the follow up. Could not put it down, had to know what happened next. This is my favourite new book of the year!
A Severs
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good. The type of thing my dad would have read to me and my siblings. Proper original gritty magical adventure. Loved it.
Abby
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Absolutely adored it and can’t wait for the next one to come out!
Steph
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! I loved the fact it was the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I loved the characters, the world, the messages. I’m very excited for the second instalment!
Nikki Kalani
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fiction, fantasy, y-a
This was my second Arc from usborneya and oh boy... did I love it!!!!
The story captivated me from the first page because it was such unique fantasy story...I took my time completing this book. Now I am sad that it ended. I think this was a good october read.

The concept of pipers was literally so amazing...music wielding magic from pipes (kind of flute). This whole concept was mesmerizing but well any kind magic does have its dark side...
I always fall in love with the mythical creatures and pets
Liz
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary, fittingly dark retelling of the Pied Piper of Hamelyn with added dragons and high fantasy! Whilst it takes a familiar tale as it's starting point, what follows is entirely original and thoroughly entertaining. The three central characters are all ostracized from their immediate peers and find unlikely friendship with one another when they band together with a common purpose. It has a lot to say about the value of friendship, resilience and of not accepting the limitations placed ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
S. A. Patrick is the name that Seth Patrick writes under when he is writing for children. His first book for children is A Darkness of Dragons. His previously published works were horror thrillers for adults
“For there is a truth, one that is all too easy to forget:
There is magic in music.
Listen...”