Start by marking “The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation” as Want to Read:
The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation

The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation

Have you ever gotten into your car after a long day at work, and even though you promised yourself you'd hit the gym, you head straight home for the couch instead? Have you ever been unable to stop hitting the Snooze button every morning (instead of the gym)? Have you ever been secretly afraid that you just don't have what it takes to really change your body and life? Have ...more
Published August 30th 2018 by Oculus Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation

Start your review of The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation
Twila
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in self-growth and improvement
Not your typical motivation book! It's not even about exercise, really. It’s about much more.

…this book is going to ask you to do more than just read and think. Although it has “motivation” in its title, it’s meant to do more than make you feel something, because that’s never enough.

I bought this book purely on a whim as an add-on to a supplement order from Mike’s company, Legion Athletics (there’s your free plug, buddy). I’m an occasional listener to his fitness podcast and didn’t think it woul
Whiskey Tango
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Matthews is the real deal

Back in 2012 I purchased a fitness book with only a few reviews on Amazon. A year previously I had started working out again and had made some good gains initially but had hit a major plateau. That book was Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews and by following it’s workout and diet program to the letter I gained 30lbs of lean muscle bringing my body weight up from 165lbs to 195lbs. In doing so I became a fan of Mike and started reading his website religio
William T. Roberts
Great source of motivation and how to get and stay motivated and achieve results - with your body and your life.

Great read and now a great reference on the art and science of motivation and how to apply it and keep in your life.

Using long standing wisdom and recent science, Mike Matthews lays out a clear strategy, action plan and source of strength to get and stay motivated - in life and with health and working out.

A true gift I’ll treasure and use as a reference for a life time.
Nahid
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have known Mike since July 2012. His first book, "Bigger Leaner Stronger" just came out and was getting praise from readers who used his methods to get their dream physique. Fast forward to today, Mike has become the bestselling author of three books and has co-founded three multimillion-dollar business. He is not a celebrity of any kind. A self-educated guy who put knowledge into practice and has changed millions of people's lives (he is still on his journey). When his latest book, "The Littl ...more
Simone Bocedi
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After enjoying Mike’s gym and workout books and following his fitness program and meal plan every week I thought I’d buy this book as well, even if I don’t need motivation to wake up and go to the gym. I meant it a gesture, to support the author who’s given me so much* on the health side of my life.

And then I read the book and realized is not AT ALL about workout. It’s about life in general and how you can and should get the best out of it. Surely one big part is being healthy and workout, but t
Ian Gagorik
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation and loved it! I thought it was going to be some puff piece of self-help bs, and instead found it to be a concise guide to living a successful life. I actually think its the best book Michael Matthew has written to date.
Manuel Cortez
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Mike Matthews since high school and he has taught me a lot. In addition, I have read a number of his books, read his articles, and listened to numerous podcasts. Nonetheless, I still found encouragement and learned practical information in this book. In fact, it was exactly what I needed during this season of my life. In the book, you will find motivation, not only in fitness, but in life as a whole. Anyone can pick this book up and learn something from it. Above all, anyone c ...more
Nathaniel Brown
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Book was very informational and researched facts. It inspired me to be a better coach and I am using the workouts personally
Mason Frierson
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than a workout motivational book

This is a no-bs, get to work, action oriented manual for success in fitness and in life. Mike Matthews surpasses expectations again with another timeless title full of best practices, insights and tools. Unlike many gurus in the fitness industry, Mike is a genuine guy who cares about helping people with their fitness, health and lives.

In this book Mike explains that if you can change your body, you can change your life. Because the tools you learn in the kitc
Will
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been following Michael Matthews' work ever since he first got his start almost a decade ago now, across both of his websites and all of his books, including the smaller books of "miscellaneous" fitness information. This book in particular gets high marks, even among his work, for going beyond just fitness motivation; the book works to inspire the reader to change and improve their general lifestyle in a way that is different than the usual methods.

I highly recommend this book to anyone loo
Chukwudike C-Madù
Awesome book that thought principles that not only will help in the gym...but your whole life! Mike preaches taking accountability in this book and not complaining what you do not have but rather focusing on the resources you can work with. I suggest this book to anyone looking to build a strong foundation in the gym and transfer it over to their life. "If you can change your body, you can change your life."
Ash White
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was just the kick in the pants I needed to get my life back on track and actually make some real progress towards my goals. If you find yourself just spinning the wheels or not even spinning at all, definitely check this one out. Lots of activities, bonus content, etc. Also available as an audiobook read by the author.
Charles
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Gonna read it again.

I like that the author is widely read and his content is well researched but presented in his own practical voice. Only thing I didn’t like was too much sales hype to start. Past that, it got good. I’d recommend this book to anyone interested in personal growth and overall self improvement, not just body improvement.
Melissa
This book is more than just workout motivation. Matthews does a great job at motivating you in LIFE!! This was such an enjoyable read and I would highly recommend it if you need a little encouragement.
Daniel Gulyas
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a cool book, it contains important bits of practical psychology distilled from a lot of raw material, selected for the general problems that come up when you try to do hard things.

Good ideas on the last chapter, Michael!
Terry Croyle
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solzhenitsyn? Referenced in a work-up motivation book? It's here, as well as other enlightened citations. I learned a good deal and will keep this on my shelf for further inspiration.
Nsubuga Lule
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mind opener
TPLL
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read/listen if you need a kick in the pants. My favorite chapter is shut up and train. I listened and enjoyed it very much. Definitely take advantage of the bonus materials!
Dennis Ray
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly fun read.
Arlon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprised at how great this was.
Nina
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Throughly enjoyed this. Great for someone looking to know what to do in life to keep moving forward. It should light a fire under you.
J
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stefan Papp
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book after I realized that I started to delay and postpone my workouts too often. This is exactly the kind of book, I wished I had read in my youth when I started to work out.

What makes the book compelling is that it offers quite a lot of substantial advice on how to address motivation. It starts with why and your core motivation. I learned that not just in my professional career I need a vision, but also in my body development.

Ok, some people might say. Self-Motivation? I
John Opinaldo
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I restarted my fitness journey last year August after having read a few other books to jumpstart so I’ve been fortunate enough to have a very good basis for the new year.

This book isn’t even necessarily a fitness book per say. It can honestly be used in all aspects of your life. I look at my business differently and my personal life as well. Since then I’ve seen huge improvements. Most importantly its really pushed me to create a habit of counting my calories and jotting down my progress at the
Phillip Podret
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audible & Kindle - great book on both

I used both platforms to get through this book. Solid listen and read for learning and inspiring motivational behaviors and habits. If you’re busy like I am, but the book on both kindle and audible. Best way to get through a book like this efficiently.
Trey M
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a good book for those who lack the motivation/inspiration to get their fitness journey started, or who suffer from making excuses. Well-written for the most part, however it could get a little repetitive or long-winded at times.
Anthony Ginepro
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
A very good book summarizing many resources dealing with motivation, willpower, plan for action in a non-bullshit way. Michael writes straight to the point regarding fitness journey and doesn't just rely on a unique method but on the best techniques. This book will both help with workout motivation and save you a lot of time reading all the resource materials and references that he stand upon.
Christina Feeney
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I really enjoyed this book. It's full of practical ideas to get you started on and to continue your fitness journey.
Dan Dawson
Not very good.
Sana Shaikh
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing and brief compilation of a lot of good ideas from multiple renowned self help books. Misleading title though.

• Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body
  • Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Advanced Guide to Building Muscle, Staying Lean, and Getting Strong
  • Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body
  • Muscle Myths: 50 Health & Fitness Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series Book 3)
  • The Shredded Chef: 120 Recipes for Building Muscle, Getting Lean, and Staying Healthy (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
  • The Motivation Myth: How High Achievers Really Set Themselves Up to Win
  • The Year One Challenge for Men: Bigger, Leaner, and Stronger Than Ever in 12 Months (Muscle for Life Series)
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step StoryBrand Guide for Any Business
  • The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Astonishing Dialogue Taking Place in Our Bodies Impacts Health, Weight, and Mood
  • #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur's Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • The World's Fittest Book: How to train for anything and everything, anywhere and everywhere
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks on Me
  • Hjärnstark
  • The Blue Zones of Happiness: A Blueprint for a Better Life

News & Interviews

“Maturity is the ability to reject good alternatives in order to pursue even better ones.” 1 likes
“You have to hustle just to pass muster, and work twice as hard as that to gain ground.” 0 likes