Start by marking “FTL, Y'all!: Tales From the Age of the $200 Warp Drive” as Want to Read:
FTL, Y'all!: Tales From the Age of the $200 Warp Drive

FTL, Y'all!: Tales From the Age of the $200 Warp Drive

Six months from now, detailed schematics anonymously uploaded to the Internet will describe, with absolute precision, how to build a faster-than-light engine for $200 in easily-available parts. Space travel will be instantly—and chaotically—democratized. The entire cosmos is suddenly within reach of all humankind, without organization, authority, or limitation.

This comics
Paperback, First Printing, 350 pages
Published November 9th 2018 by Iron Circus Comics (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about FTL, Y'all!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FTL, Y'all!

Start your review of FTL, Y'all!: Tales From the Age of the $200 Warp Drive
Rod Brown
It's a little uneven as most graphic anthologies are, especially in the first half, but this tribute to the works of Jerry Oltion won me over with fun stories about what might happen if instantaneous space travel was opened up to the common schmo. I loved the diversity in the cast and creators. Stellar contributors in my opinion were Maia Kobabe, Jonathon Dalton, Ahueonao, and Rachel Ordway.

Several of the stories in here could easily be be spun off into solo volumes.
Maia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I need to say up top that my review of this book is biased, because I am one of the contributors. Regardless- this book is FANTASTIC. Each story plays with the premise of a world in which faster than light speed engines exist, and can be built at a relatively low cost by a layperson. Many of the stories feature queer or POC characters. Some include contact with alien life- others with colonization, scientific exploration, families, separation and reunion, depression, joy- it's a rich feast. I ...more
Jessica Strider
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Pros: wide variety of stories, some excellent artwork, inclusive stories

Cons: often abrupt endings, not hard SF, some artwork I didn’t care for

First off, reviews are subjective. Everyone likes different things. This is even more apparent when it comes to artwork. So while some of the stories and some of the artwork didn’t appeal to me, that won’t be true for everyone. There’s quite a variety of both stories and artwork here, and the ones that didn’t work for me might turn out to be your
Bryan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Day off of school today due to the temperature being-20 (-50 with windchill) here in the Chicago suburbs. I have enjoyably spent my morning reading this anthology.

This book is a perfect example of why I love anthologies especially when the entries are centered around a theme like this one does. The various ways creators deliver a futuristic sci-fi story are so interesting and enjoyable. Also, the amount of creators who contributed to this book that I was previously unaware of is embarrassing on
Thom
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anth-coll
Nineteen stories inspired by the common theme of "detailed schematics for a $200 faster than light engine", leading to the instant and chaotic democratization of the cosmos. I didn't recognize any of the artists here, but many are web comic illustrators and all the credits are included in the back.

I picked this up from the library "new" shelf for Paul Davey's cover illustration. My favorite stories were probably Words From the Dead, The Senior Project, and especially Lia (both story and art
Amanda
Just like with all short story collections, I really loved some of these comics and others were fine. I felt the length for each comic was a little on the short side but maybe that was just me wanted to read more from certain stories.
Overall I loved the connecting conceit through the comics, a $200 warp engine that disrupts life as we know it. The comics offered a unique mix of hard sci-fi, dystopian, and a touch of fantasy.
Super enjoyed this volume for one of my favorite comic publishers,
Paolo
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like with any anthology, the art, narratives and quality of each story varies from chapter to chapter, but goddamn, that's a lot of impressive takes on the main idea of the $200 FTL engine. Highly recommended for those who love speculative fiction and comics.
Kristen
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never met an Iron Circus anthology I didn't like, but FTL, Y'all! is a cut above. I loved every story and wish several of them were ongoing comics.
Tina
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2019
Pretty good comic anthology. A nice variety of art styles and stories. There’s a very good dog, some spot on commentary of social media, and some cute but deadly aliens.
Jenna
I love the wide variety of stories included in this anthology and how many different takes there were on a world with a FTL engine. My favorites tended to be those that revolved around families and people who were affected by space travel and light years of separation. A wonderful imagining of what our near future could be like....
Wayne McCoy
'FTL, Y'all!: Tales from the Age of the $200 Warp Drive' is a collection of stories edited by Amanda Lafrenais. The concept is in the subtitle, but I wish a short introduction had been included on what brought the idea on.

It's the near future (or maybe even now!) and warp drives can be made cheap. This leads to a series of people shooting themselves in to space in buses, cars and washing machines. There are stories about how dreary traveling at warp speed can still be, like modern airports.
Carrie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
FTL, Y’ALL Is The Sci-Fi Trip In Comic Form That We All Need To Take

The premise of this collection is:

Six months from now, detailed schematics anonymously uploaded to the Internet will describe, with absolute precision, how to build a faster-than-light engine for $200 in easily-available parts. Space travel will be instantly—and chaotically—democratized. The entire cosmos is suddenly within reach of all humankind, without organization, authority or limitation.

FTL, Y’ALL is a immerse trip into
evi
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
FTL, Y'all! (FTL standing for "faster-than-light") is an anthology of comics that explore what comes after detailed and simple plans for a $200 faster-than-light engine is anonymously uploaded, becoming "instantly - and chaotically - democratized". Each story took a completely different approach to the idea of "what comes after": some dealing with life on Earth directly after these plans would become available, some skipping years to a future in which FTL travel is a part of life in space. Each ...more
Laura Ess
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought that overall this was a very good effort. The artwork and stories vary a lot, but that's a strength rather than a weakness. In any case the idea of a very cheap space drive isn't new Frederick Brown in "What Mad Universe" (1949) had an alternate universe in which modified sewing machines become jump drives. What is new is the variety of stories in the collection, all based around the simple premise of dirt cheap space travel for the masses. There are few that are hard science, and some ...more
Jim
Fascinating, fascinating! I’m so glad I got in on this Kickstarter! Great stories - stories that really make you think about life. Think about life in this world. Where are we? Where are we going? It reminds you how terrible people are. And how wonderful people are. Or maybe how terrible we can be as a people. And how wonderful we can be as people.

This may seem odd, but this book impacts all the senses! The cover is visually amazing - I love the art, and the luminescent design.

But the cover -
Adam Stone
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good anthology of sci-fi stories involving space travel and lesbianism. It's sometimes tough reviewing an anthology, not only because there are a variety of different art styles and stories, but also because placement is so important.

The first story wasn't for me. The use of Youtube style comments to serve as conversation distracted me from the story, though I enjoyed the premise. This turned up as IMs in another story.

Overall, I liked the stories in this collection, as well as
Andrew Greenlaw-Houldsworth
What a fantastic collection of space age speculative fiction! This anthology of comics takes place in different imagined realities shortly or distantly after the schematics for a super cheap faster-than-light engine are leaked online. Some stories tell brutal futures centered around climate change and martial law. Others tell enthusiastic tales of interstellar exploration and colonization. And in all of the stories, the thread of humans' tendency towards escapism when offered the chance are ...more
Diane Hernandez
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Large mixed bag of comic short stories all with the theme of cheap space travel fill FTL Y’All.

There are 21 stories within this 327-page book. Most have the theme that Earth is a wasteland but outer space isn’t much better. Crowds, bureaucracy, and masses of people have ruined Earth and now are threatening to do the same for outer space. It is interesting to see so many different perspectives on the future. The artwork is also a great look at many different styles in one book.

FTL, Y’All is a
Meagan
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I went into this hoping it would be a graphic novel version of Machine of Death about FTL. Unfortunately, the stories felt shorter and less nuanced than many of the stories in Machine of Death, and almost all of them imagined the Earth as a sad wasteland. There really needed to be a story or two that wasn't amplifying the worst parts of our current society to a galactic level. I wouldn't consider myself an optimist, but it just didn't feel realistic to have almost no good sides to FTL travels. I ...more
Desiree
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic anthology of comics from Iron Circus! Backed this on Kickstarter and let me tell you, it's a gorgeous book. The stories deliver on quality, creativity, and variety. Rating them individually, most were 5/5 stars, the rest 4/5 stars. Nothing disappointed!

My personal favorites of the collection were "Soft Physics," "Words from the Dead," and "Granddad's Second Wife." The last especially charmed me with Cheez Hayama's art--I fawned over the little space grub's adorable face for
Thomas Hale
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I helped kickstart this, and I'm really happy I did: this is a collection of interesting, funny and sometimes heartfelt stories. The artwork and writing vary wildly, as one might expect from an anthology like this, but each story has more than enough personality to make up for any narrative or stylistic missteps. The best entries for me were the smaller-scale ones: the interpersonal conflicts, the existential worry of being a small human with an infinite universe to get lost in. Iron Circus ...more
Brian
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was not at all what I expected. An anthology of short comic stories, this volume contains tons of interesting takes on what might happen if warp drive technology were to become commonplace and affordable. A clear effort was made to include diverse stories and characters, and a lot of the vignettes are very different from most mainstream science fiction. I found that refreshing and fun, but I suppose your mileage may vary.
Kathryn Kania
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I never get as into the Iron Circus anthologies as I feel like I'm going to. The stories are too short, or not right, or something. This is a fine book. It's entertaining. But it's not what I wanted. This is a good book to put in the bathroom and read a story as you poop and put it down and forget about it til you poop again. I wanted meatier sci-fi than that. Ah well.
Michi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I discovered this on a friend's bookshelf and was drawn in by the art style of the cover. As usual with anthologies, I had varying reactions to the actual content ranging from "Wow, this practically made me tear up / laugh out loud" to "I don't get it. What was even the point of that?" I liked pretty much all of the art, though. All in all, it was a fun read.
Gabriel Graña
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tons of fun with a wide range of possibilities. Only problem? I wish there was more!
Sure, a few (a teeny, tiny few) end abruptly, but the messages are clear, the art is memorable and varied, and the voices are resonantly diverse.
Corinne
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A range of comics exploring our world if everyone had easy access to FT build a cheap FTL engine... As any collection goes I enjoyed some more than others. Quite often though I wanted to continue each story! Fun prompt to explore!
Jocilyn
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting but in the end i felt like it was just an odd assortment of zines. Only a few artists really spent time or energy on their stories. Great ideas, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you're trying to encourage a young artist?
Zachariah Carlson
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This collection is like a bag of candy. Every story in it is short enough to be properly punchy, and there's a good variety of directions the themes/plots/characters went in response to the core idea. I didn't hate any of them, and some of them were simply fantastic.
Simon
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recent Reads: FTL Y'all! What if a warp drive was $200 and the plans were online? A comics anthology explores the world that might evolve, with every kind of story, and every kind of protagonist. A diverse and empowering book.
Martin
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this anthology. I didn’t think any of the stories were disappointing, and many were really good! It’s a fun premise and you can tell one that easily inspired a lot of pretty diverse types of story. Definitely worth reading.

• Meal
  • Cautionary Fables and Fairy Tales: Africa Edition
  • Stage Dreams
  • No Ivy League
  • Sex Machine
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Fortunate Beasts (Letters for Lucardo)
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Girl Town
  • Cautionary Fables and Fairy Tales: Asia Edition
  • On a Sunbeam
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3)
  • Marvel Rising
Trotman is also the creator of the webcomics Lucas and Odessa, Sparkneedle, and Blikada, as well as the somewhat less serious Playing With Dolls. She lives in Chicago with her husband.