Start by marking “Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]” as Want to Read:
Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]

Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]

From Maui native and popular food blogger Alana Kysar, this gorgeous cookbook of 85 fresh and sunny recipes reflects the major cultures that have influenced local Hawaiʻi food over time: Native Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, Filipino, and Western.

In Aloha Kitchen, Alana Kysar takes you into the homes, restaurants, and farms of Hawaiʻi, exploring the
Published March 26th 2019 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Aloha Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aloha Kitchen

Start your review of Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]
Velma  Hayes
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up in Hawaii, I had forgotten a lot of the recipes I once ate with relish! I miss my home so much and am happy to get a little back in the form of food. Thank you for helping me bring my old home into my new one.
Amy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-recipes, culture
There is a lot of good solid information in here, not only with regards to the recipes, but for the Hawaiian food culture, as well.

I will be traveling to Hawaii in the near future and wanted to learn more about what types of food I might experience - even though Hawaii is part of the United States, by being [literally] a group of islands unto itself, it has been given the opportunity to really maintain a totally separate culture from the rest of the country. Also, a bit of trivia, but Hawaii is
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kitchen, my-books
I loved this book. The photography is beautiful, the history behind the food and the people who brought it to the islands and beyond is a thoughtful introduction to the subject. While some ingredients may be challenging for me to find in the Midwest, I look forward to exploring a new grocery store to do my best to find them. I appreciate that Kysar gave the original ingredients as well as acceptable substitutions where she could. I cannot wait to try and recreate some of my favorite dishes from ...more
Meg
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink, non-fic
I'm instantly back to Kaua'i. (sigh). I wanted to eat everything in this book, cook everything, and take a nap on the beach. This book may not be other's jam, but it was mine.
Kelly
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
"Hawaii is always a good idea"
Cynthia D
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, must-read
My rating: 5/5

Straight up my favorite cookbook so far ever. I have a really hard time finding cookbooks that really encompass what I'm looking for: a good multicultural book of recipes that mainly have an Asian background. If you look at my hardcopy of this cookbook, you'll find that I have more than HALF of the recipes tabbed to try out, and I'm seriously excited to give these a go! I already cooked the shoyu chicken and got the request to add this to our regular recipe rotation (which is
Kate
Aug 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, cookbooks
Made the shoyu chicken--the sauce is really good especially!

However, the real strength of this book is in its headnotes, and honestly I found it to be a better resource for info on Hawaiian history and culture than many of the other books I picked up before I went to Oahu earlier this month. Although the editor in me was like, "How is she relating this whole detailed food history with NO ENDNOTES ARGH CITE SOURCE." And then, you know, I felt super ashamed of feeling like that. In any case,
Kurt Fox
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I especially liked the introduction and the history (albeit short on the global scale of history) of the Hawaiian (food) culture. It really puts things in perspective given the history and dates and introductions and the cuisine in the book. The overall feel of the book is ohana, even in each recipe in the intro gives the feeling of oneness in the community, and kudos and callouts to friends, family, local restaurants, bars, where the entire island feels like a local neighborhood.

While you may
Kathy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband's family is from Maui, and I lived on Oahu when my daughter was little, so Hawaii is one of my favorite places in the world. The author's descriptions of sight, smell and sounds took me there in 5 seconds-- it sounds weird, but reading it is like a mini trip to the islands. So beautifully designed and well-written. I have tried many recipes from the author's FixFeastFlair blog and they are amazing, so I know I can trust that the recipes in the book will be just how I remember the ...more
Spindrift
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous Resource for Hawaiian Favorites

I love this book! It has all the recipes for home-cooked Hawaiian staples, treats, and special-occasion foods. It includes a nice summary of the historical influence of immigration an incorporation on Hawaiian cuisine, and provides a good discussion and description of classic ingredients, including where to look for those that can be difficult to find on the mainland. I can’t wait to try the manapua and mochi butter cake!
Jen
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
As of 10/19 I have not actually made any of these, I will update my review if I get to them. I for sure want to get the mac salad made this weekend! It sounds like one of the simplest items.

It seems like a good variety, including in terms of cooking-ability the reader should have.

I'm pretty low on the good cook scale, so . . . fingers crossed.
Jacabaeus
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Pictures are phenomenal, excellent mini dive in to Hawai'ian culture and history, and the recipes actually work! Except for the manapua buns, but I think that was user error. For the char siu pork I highly recommend smoking them instead of cooking in the oven - ended up absolutely stellar with the dry mein.
Amanda Judd
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read for the history of migration to Hawai'i and any recipes that you can find the ingredients for are just a bonus. Recipes are well-written and very clear. I tried the Butter Mochi and Sweet Bread Rolls - both were delicious and came out great just by following the instructions.
Lissa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve purchased many cookbooks in my day and this is the first one where I would give every recipe I’ve tried so far five out of five stars. Some of the flavors take me right back to Hawaii and it’s also a beautiful book as well. It my favorite cookbook I’ve ever purchased.
TCampbell
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brings me back to the islands

I enjoyed reading through this cookbook. The anecdotes were engaging and made me nostalgic for Hawaii. I tried the Beef Jan recipe and it was delicious, relatively easy to follow. I am excited to try some of the others!
Delie Dell Chua
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how ms kysar explained and gave an overview of hawaii, why there is such diversity on its dishes. She described the background and origin of each dish and each dish looks simple and easy to make. Cant wait to try them!
Kerry Pickens
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
My first book for 2020! I wanted to learn to make moco loco, but this cuisine has so many different influences. I know I will be making lumpia and Chicken Adobe soon. The Kindle version is available today on Amazon for 1.99.
Anne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The perfect cookbook. Beautiful photography, interesting graphics, just enough food history, engaging personal stories and introductions to each recipe...and recipes for foods I ate and/or saw on menus while in Hawaii!
Kate Guinan
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's a lovely book. While I'm a fairly adventurous cook, so much of these recipes seem inaccessible to me. Perhaps, if I'd ever traveled to Hawai'i, I would be more familiar with some of the ingredients. I do know Spam though!
Robin Case
Good introduction to the food and culture of the Hawaiian Island.
Emily Joyce
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s not a cookbook I would cook from regularly, but it what I did cook was delicious and the book is beautiful.
Scott
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun read, a few ingredients will be challenging to find for those outside of the West Coast but a great way to remember our visit to the islands!
Katy
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, food
Made the local chicken, saving loco moco for a special occasion. So many delicious looking recipes but some harder to find ingredients.
Jade Geary
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this book beautiful (from the pictures to the design) but it is full of delicious recipes that took me right back to Hawaii. I can’t wait to make some yummy good from this book.
Loren
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the cultural and historical context in this book. Can't wait to dive into some of the recipes this winter.
Viriam
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only Hawaiian cookbook i have read, I learned a lot from it. i was not aware of the waves of influence on the islands. There's a lot to like.
Dec 31, 2019
Rena
Aug 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook: A Cookbook
  • Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake
  • Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook
  • Simple Cake: All You Need to Keep Your Friends and Family in Cake [a Baking Book]
  • The Gaijin Cookbook: Japanese Recipes from a Chef, Father, Eater, and Lifelong Outsider
  • Damn Delicious Meal Prep: 115 Easy Recipes for Low-Calorie, High-Energy Living
  • Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Heritage Cooking in Any Kitchen
  • No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous
  • Vietnamese Food Any Day: Simple Recipes for True, Fresh Flavors [a Cookbook]
  • From Crook to Cook: Platinum Recipes from Tha Boss Dogg's Kitchen
  • The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook: Fresh and Foolproof Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker