Start by marking “The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel

The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel

Everything Handmaids wear is red: the colour of blood, which defines us.

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, where women are prohibited from holding jobs, reading, and forming friendships. She serves in the household of the Commander and his wife, and under the new social order she has only one purpose: once a month, she must lie on her back and pray that the Co
Published March 26th 2019 by Nan A. Talese/Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Handmaid's Tale, please sign up.
Lucy Goodfellow The graphic novel follows Atwood's original novel.
The graphic novel follows Atwood's original novel.
In the book, black people are banished and sent “back” to Africa, while Jews are sent to Israel. The few black people who remain are postmenopausal women, known as Marthas, who perform domestic duties as maids and cooks.
The TV show differs from the book by including women of colour so they can address the complications race in this specific dystopia.

(here's a more in-depth look into race in the book and the show)(less)
Lucy Goodfellow Personally, I think that this is a really good gateway into the story. It hits the same notes as the original novel and the art is as beautifully…morePersonally, I think that this is a really good gateway into the story. It hits the same notes as the original novel and the art is as beautifully unsettling as Atwood's prose.(less)

David Schaafsma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just reviewed Margaret Atwood's original story, so I won't re-discuss plot and themes. I have seen some of the fine Hulu series, so was interested to see that Renée Nault had adapted and illustrated Atwood's story as a graphic novel. The artwork here is gorgeous, creating a somewhat different effect than the film adaptation, emphasizing on almost every page the rich, deep red of the handmaidens, etching that color forever in your mind, and meaning of the red changes over the course of the book ...more
Madison (life uh finds a way)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Praise be.
Jason
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning imagery. It's amazing how her vision matches how I pictured the setting to be in my own mind, almost exactly.
Carol
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of The Handmaid's Tale
Praise be. The classic Margaret Atwood cautionary tale has finally been adapted as a graphic novel, and it is perfection.

The spare art style emphasizes color (especially red and blue) and the facial expressions convey much even when words aren't possible. I really can't say enough about the illustrations: they evoke even more haunting, chilling doom than words alone can achieve.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review consideration.
Susan
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork and colouring in this volume perfectly reflect the misery and horror of this story. I am unable to read The Handmaid's Tale as a book, listen to the audiobook, or watch the TV show without crying. This graphic novel provoked the same reaction of anger and sadness. I think that as a woman I empathize so strongly with the characters and I believe it is truly the scariest story ever written. This graphic novel is the perfect complement to the other formats and would be a great introduct ...more
Nadine
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Handmaid’s Tale is one of my favorite classics of all time. I wrote a quick review for it the last time I read it in 2016 in preparation for the television show, so check that out for a more in-depth review. This review will focus on the adaptation of the story for a graphic novel and its illustrations.

My biggest complaint with the adaptation is that it didn’t include my favorite quotes of the novel.

“You can wet the rim of a glass and run your finger around the rim and it will make a sound.
Kelly
The art here is fabulous and the style certainly fits the tone of the book, but I think anyone without familiarity of the novel would be lost on how the story plays out and even more frustrating is the lack of representation. Atwood and the folks behind the television series have rightly been criticized for how white the book is and even with that knowledge prior to the creation of the graphic novel....there are hardly any faces of color throughout.
HoneyAhmad
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn best! Love the artwork too
Nay Keppler
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first exposure to the story in any form and I was blown away and can't stop thinking about it. Now I am eager to read the original and watch the show!
Jeff Larsen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic graphic adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s classic novel.
Betty
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praise be. This was most excellently done.
Katherine
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
The United States government has been overthrown by a totalitarian religious regime. Women, the LGBTQ community, ethnic minorities, scientists, and many others become extremely oppressed. A woman now known as Offred is a Handmaid, a woman valued only for her fertility. She works for the Commander and his Wife. She does the shopping, some chores, and once a month, she takes place in the Ceremony, where she lies with the Commander in hopes of conceiving a child. But Offred remembers the times befo ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
Holy smokes.

I've never watched the Netflix or read the book so this blew me away.
Melodie Roschman
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The art is gorgeous, but a) I think if you hasn't read the book you'd be totally lost, and b) so much nuance is lost from reducing the amount of text in a book that is all about clinging to words
David Freudenburg
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Beautiful and faithful rendition of the original novel. It was amazing to me that the illustrations showed scenes as I had imagined them in my mind when I read the novel!
Madeline
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think the art is absolutely beautiful, though I do agree with one question posed on the book's page—there is a stunning lack of representation... I think there is one black character throughout the whole graphic novel?
Even so, I still really enjoyed reading this—I think The Handmaid's Tale adapts nicely to the graphic novel format. If you're ever looking for a shorter, quick version of the book, this is definitely a good option.
Ben Ostrowsky
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this ebook quickly! I haven't read the text-only version, so I can't say what is different, what is missing, what is new. But it's damn good.
Crys
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.
Jodie Angold
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful and perfect. I already own two copies of the novel and I was interested when I saw this was coming out but when I came across it in the flesh it wowed me. I practically ran to the till to buy it.

The art and the adaptation are flawless. The illustrations complement the words so perfectly, with clever and creative little flairs that are just like Atwood's writing.

I devoured this in a couple of evenings but I know I'll be enjoying it again and again for years to come. What a beautifu
Helen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read The Handmaids Tale and really enjoyed it. I absolutely love the show, so when I saw that there was a graphic novel I needed to read it. This was a great addition to this universe and I highly recommend it. I will say that I recommend that you read the book first because even though this was a great graphic novel, there was obviously a lot missing.
Books & Booze
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
How do you even rate rage?
Leigh
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book last night - and then read it all in a single sitting. Completely worth it.

I first read the novel in high school back in the 90’s, and I still own that copy. It’s a story that sticks with you - gets its claws into you and doesn’t let go. The graphic novel is a faithful representation of the source material, and it doesn’t pull any punches. Like the show, actually seeing it all laid out makes it sink in more and triggers a powerful emotional response.

Nault’s artwork is stu
Judith Babarsky
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done graphic novel rendering of original book

The drawings evoke a range of emotion, beautifully done. It was shorter than I anticipated - quick read! First graphic novel I've read, so wasn't sure what to expect. Very pleasant surprise.
Whitney Archer
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
100/10
Geoffrey
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note: I received an ARC of this book courtesy of NetGalley)

It's frankly hard to imagine how a better graphic novel adaptation could have possibly been pulled off. The artwork Renee Nault bring this masterwork of dystopian fiction alive in ways that easily rivals anyone's imagination, and now Margaret Atwood's tale is even more accessible than ever in a time where it has become all too relevant.
Whitney
This was a tough one for me. The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books of all time and I am a huge graphic novel reader. However, I didn't feel like the graphic format added anything substantial to Atwood's story.

The majority of The Handmaid's Tale is Offred's inner monologue, which doesn't lend itself well to visual storytelling. The result was Renee Nault inserting larger sections of text at the beginning or ending of chapters, causing some disconnect between art and text. I didn't pers
Maria
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Don't misunderstand the 3 star rating. This was an excellent graphic rendering of Atwood's now classic dystopian tale; it's just horribly frightening and realistic in these contentious times. When I read current news accounts of women's rights being gradually suppressed (or trying to be), I feel great distress. This is an important book but also a scary one.
Kelsey
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art and use of color is gorgeous. I think this works more as a companion than an adaptation, however.
Clementine
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The art is stunning, but so much of the story is lost in translation. Also, white as hell.
Renee Nault is a Canadian artist, illustrator, and graphic novelist.

She is known for her vivid watercolor and ink illustrations.
“There were places you didn’t want to walk, precautions you took that had to do with locks on windows and doors, drawing the curtains, leaving on lights. These things you did were like prayers; you did them and you hoped they would save you.” 0 likes
“Patikėkite, sunku tam atsispirti, bet prisiminkite, kad atleidimas taip pat galia. Maldauti atleidimo yra galia ir neduoti jo ar dovanoti jį yra galia, galbūt visų didžiausia.” 0 likes