Start by marking “The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel

The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel

Everything Handmaids wear is red: the colour of blood, which defines us.

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, where women are prohibited from holding jobs, reading, and forming friendships. She serves in the household of the Commander and his wife, and under the new social order she has only one purpose: once a month, she must lie on her back and pray that the Co
Published March 26th 2019 by Nan A. Talese/Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Handmaid's Tale, please sign up.
Lucy Goodfellow The graphic novel follows Atwood's original novel.
The graphic novel follows Atwood's original novel.
In the book, black people are banished and sent “back” to Africa, while Jews are sent to Israel. The few black people who remain are postmenopausal women, known as Marthas, who perform domestic duties as maids and cooks.
The TV show differs from the book by including women of colour so they can address the complications race in this specific dystopia.

(here's a more in-depth look into race in the book and the show)(less)
Lucy Goodfellow Personally, I think that this is a really good gateway into the story. It hits the same notes as the original novel and the art is as beautifully…morePersonally, I think that this is a really good gateway into the story. It hits the same notes as the original novel and the art is as beautifully unsettling as Atwood's prose.(less)

David Schaafsma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just reviewed Margaret Atwood's original story, so I won't re-discuss plot and themes. I have seen some of the fine Hulu series, so was interested to see that Renée Nault had adapted and illustrated Atwood's story as a graphic novel. The artwork here is gorgeous, creating a somewhat different effect than the film adaptation, emphasizing on almost every page the rich, deep red of the handmaidens, etching that color forever in your mind, and meaning of the red changes over the course of the book ...more
Julie Ehlers
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because this is a graphic-novel adaptation of a very well-known and widely read book, I feel like this review shouldn't focus on the plot or characters or the world that's been built; it should instead focus on whether Renee Nault has done an effective job of adapting it all into comic form. In my estimation, she has: the art is wonderful, very appropriate and affecting, and while it couldn't have been easy to cut this story down in a way that makes sense, she's done it. It's been a long time si ...more
Carol
While in Barnes Noble recently picking up a couple classic graphic novels on my to own list, the bookseller says, up front we also have THE HANDMAIDS TALE graphic novel. I said thanks, but the novel wasn't a favorite of mine. She said hers either, she doesn't like dystopian stories, and, of course, I said I loved them, but not that particular one. She said, the book is beautifully done though....and that it is. I walked out with it!

So here I am done reading the story for a second time and lovin

Madison (life uh finds a way)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Praise be.
Alice Lippart
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Loved it!
Jason
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning imagery. It's amazing how her vision matches how I pictured the setting to be in my own mind, almost exactly.
Carol
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of The Handmaid's Tale
Praise be. The classic Margaret Atwood cautionary tale has finally been adapted as a graphic novel, and it is perfection.

The spare art style emphasizes color (especially red and blue) and the facial expressions convey much even when words aren't possible. I really can't say enough about the illustrations: they evoke even more haunting, chilling doom than words alone can achieve.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review consideration.
Alex
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The content of the novel obviously stood up, and the drawing is appropriately haunting. That said the kinds of advances the TV show brought in terms of reflecting the diversity of women regresses here. Everyone is white and I find that unfortunate, since that was a weakness in the 1987 novel Atwood herself had acknowledged.
Shreya
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Terrific in so many ways - but only if one already knows the story inside out.
Lauren
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it

I know this is a classic but since I haven’t read the original novel, I feel like I didn’t appreciate this as much as I could have. The artwork was bright and bold and brutal in places but overall the frustration and anger I felt toward such a system was just too much and I couldn’t rate it any higher. Plus, I felt pretty depressed throughout the entirety of reading it :/
Susan
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork and colouring in this volume perfectly reflect the misery and horror of this story. I am unable to read The Handmaid's Tale as a book, listen to the audiobook, or watch the TV show without crying. This graphic novel provoked the same reaction of anger and sadness. I think that as a woman I empathize so strongly with the characters and I believe it is truly the scariest story ever written. This graphic novel is the perfect complement to the other formats and would be a great introduct ...more
Kelly
The art here is fabulous and the style certainly fits the tone of the book, but I think anyone without familiarity of the novel would be lost on how the story plays out and even more frustrating is the lack of representation. Atwood and the folks behind the television series have rightly been criticized for how white the book is and even with that knowledge prior to the creation of the graphic novel....there are hardly any faces of color throughout.
Nicky
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Renee Nault has done a fantastic job of bringing the stark brutal reality of Gilead to life while keeping the essence of the story unchanged.

I do wonder if not having prior knowledge of the story will affect readers views and understanding though, personally I enjoyed this more than the novel.
Nadine
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Handmaid’s Tale is one of my favorite classics of all time. I wrote a quick review for it the last time I read it in 2016 in preparation for the television show, so check that out for a more in-depth review. This review will focus on the adaptation of the story for a graphic novel and its illustrations.

My biggest complaint with the adaptation is that it didn’t include my favorite quotes of the novel.

“You can wet the rim of a glass and run your finger around the rim and it will make a sound.
HoneyAhmad
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn best! Love the artwork too
Rick
Several decades ago I had started the novel from which this graphic adaptation is derived. I had trouble getting into the writing style. But it was always in the back of my mind that I would get back to it one of these days. Then recently I saw that there was a graphic novel adaptation newly available. Clearly, this was my access point. It was wonderful. Everything that I was hoping for when I first tried to read it... it's in there. I do love dystopian stories and this certainly a classic - and ...more
Jessica Tobin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the artwork. It was very well done. This was my first graphic novel I’ve ever read.
Rosa
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent adaptation, but the story was so upsetting. In more ways than one.
Nay Keppler
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first exposure to the story in any form and I was blown away and can't stop thinking about it. Now I am eager to read the original and watch the show!
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
Holy smokes.

I've never watched the Netflix or read the book so this blew me away.
Betty
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praise be. This was most excellently done.
Jeff Larsen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic graphic adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s classic novel.
Helen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read The Handmaids Tale and really enjoyed it. I absolutely love the show, so when I saw that there was a graphic novel I needed to read it. This was a great addition to this universe and I highly recommend it. I will say that I recommend that you read the book first because even though this was a great graphic novel, there was obviously a lot missing.
Melodie Roschman
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The art is gorgeous, but a) I think if you hasn't read the book you'd be totally lost, and b) so much nuance is lost from reducing the amount of text in a book that is all about clinging to words
Katherine
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
The United States government has been overthrown by a totalitarian religious regime. Women, the LGBTQ community, ethnic minorities, scientists, and many others become extremely oppressed. A woman now known as Offred is a Handmaid, a woman valued only for her fertility. She works for the Commander and his Wife. She does the shopping, some chores, and once a month, she takes place in the Ceremony, where she lies with the Commander in hopes of conceiving a child. But Offred remembers the times befo ...more
Kimberly
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such beautiful artistry! Must own a copy.
Stephanie (aka WW)
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent graphic re-telling of The Handmaid’s Tale. The illustrations really fit the book, with the art varying in style for the different time periods. All are inked in wonderful watercolor. It’s a timely tale rendered beautifully.
David Freudenburg
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Beautiful and faithful rendition of the original novel. It was amazing to me that the illustrations showed scenes as I had imagined them in my mind when I read the novel!
Madeline
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think the art is absolutely beautiful, though I do agree with one question posed on the book's page—there is a stunning lack of representation... I think there is one black character throughout the whole graphic novel?
Even so, I still really enjoyed reading this—I think The Handmaid's Tale adapts nicely to the graphic novel format. If you're ever looking for a shorter, quick version of the book, this is definitely a good option.
Ben Ostrowsky
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this ebook quickly! I haven't read the text-only version, so I can't say what is different, what is missing, what is new. But it's damn good.
Play Book Tag: The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel - 4 stars 6 13 Jul 03, 2019 04:50PM
Renee Nault is a Canadian artist, illustrator, and graphic novelist.

She is known for her vivid watercolor and ink illustrations.
“There were places you didn’t want to walk, precautions you took that had to do with locks on windows and doors, drawing the curtains, leaving on lights. These things you did were like prayers; you did them and you hoped they would save you.” 0 likes
“Patikėkite, sunku tam atsispirti, bet prisiminkite, kad atleidimas taip pat galia. Maldauti atleidimo yra galia ir neduoti jo ar dovanoti jį yra galia, galbūt visų didžiausia.” 0 likes