Start by marking “How to Make Friends with the Dark” as Want to Read:
How to Make Friends with the Dark

How to Make Friends with the Dark

Here is what happens when your mother dies.

It’s the brightest day of summer and it’s dark outside. It’s dark in your house, dark in your room, and dark in your heart. You feel like the darkness is going to split you apart.

Published April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Friends with the Dark, please sign up.
Kat TL;DR: The release date for books is given on the goodreads page, underneath the "get a copy", in small text alongside the description.
In this…more
In this case, it currently says "Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press"

Longer answer:
If you ever look at the reviews and think "There are over a 100 reviews, this book must be out already", remember that there are services such as netgalley that allow people to read pre-release books and ask them to review it. Also, there is a community of book lovers online - on youtube, instagram, twitter, etc - that often recommend such books to each other. Influencers on this platform can request books directly from the publisher, before they are released, in order to recommend them to their followers (if the book is good). In this way books can have many reviews before they are out.(less)
Harinee I think its better."Girl in Pieces" at some points I felt where was the book going but here I wanted to know very much where the story was going.Yes…moreI think its better."Girl in Pieces" at some points I felt where was the book going but here I wanted to know very much where the story was going.Yes its a little sadder at points than GIP but definitely very well written.(less)

Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darkest, full of grief and heartbreaking five stars!
There are too many scary things outside world. You may loose your loved ones, you can hurt yourself in several ways. You can lose your possessions, your social circles, your carrier or your dignity, patience, reputation.
But the scariest thing in life is loosing your inner light , turn it off forever and surrender to the dark!
This book is really pessimistic, depressing, heart wrenching! Too many times I thought to stop reading but I pushed my
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

is for the grievers
is for the left behind
this book
is for every broken heart
searching for a home

Kathleen Glasgow

This book broke my damn heart! That’s all! The end!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG
Tucker

Many thanks to Delacorte Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I got to meet Kathleen at the National Book Festival!!

***********
Oh my god. I don't think I have EVER read a book better than this one. It made me giggle. It made me cry. This is a book that everyone needs to read.
Kathleen Glasgow
Jul 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is now a thing! It's about a girl named Tiger Tolliver who has to learn how to live with loss. It's about learning what family means. What it means to take care of someone and let yourself be cared for. Feel free to ask me questions about it and I'll do my best to answer.
jaime ⭐️
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
times i cried during this book: six
times i texted my mum and my dad to tell them i love them while reading parts of this book: countless
Irena
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Going into How to Make Friends with the Dark I knew I was dealing with heart hitting, emotional prose that will leave me feel low, but nothing prepared me for the amount of emotions I feltl.
This book was heart wrenching in all it means!

I picked this book during a readathon, which was a HUGE mistake. You see, because so many bad things happened to our main character Tiger, it was really hard for me to speed through the story.
So I failed the readathon, but I got so much fro
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from Delacorte Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

You have always been lonely and you have never admitted it.

Obligatory Summary

Tiger Tolliver's mother just died and her whole life has been turned upside down. Traded from foster home to foster home, from strangers to family and back again, she mourns her mother. There is no guide on how t/>/>You
Travel.with.a.book
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another powerful and masterpiece by Glasgow, How To Make Friends With The Dark is a very stunning book, the story will be pinned in my head for a while because it has such an interesting and curated writings!
We all have ups and downs and I would nothing recommend you to read more than this beautiful and powerful book, Kathleen once again teaches us how to save us in our worst moments, she really reminds us that after lots of hurricanes will come a rainbow that can stuck for a while.
Amy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grief is extremely personal. No two people experience and process their grief in the same way. Kathleen Glasgow's novel How to Make Friends with the Dark beautifully explores the complexity, the isolation, the raw pain you feel when someone you love dies.

What's it about?
Tiger's mother may be overprotective, but it has always been Tiger and her mother against the world.

On a day like any other, after harsh words you can't take back are exchanged, Tiger's mother unexpectedly dies. And now Tiger is al/>What's
TL
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tore at my emotions the whole time and broke my heart many times. I can't pick one that stands out more than the others.

It reminded me of when I was grieving for my furbabies Tasha and Lilly, my bird Woody, Grandma, and Pop Pop. I kept thinking I was feeling this.. I experienced that! She gets it!

Not to compare my experiences to anyone else's, just to let you in to my thought process.

Some things in the end chapters had me almost outright bawling in the breakroom and smili
may ❀
i really loved the first half of this book and its portrayal of grief and trauma. tiger's home and school life felt so authentic and made me want to sob 43241 times

but the second half (view spoiler) was,,,,,,,,boring IM SORRY

i was more detached from the characters and found it tiring to keep reading (y'all the book is 400 pages and if i aint entertained for 400 pages, it isnt going to work well) eve
Julie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this raw, powerful and heartbreaking meditation on loss and grief, Glasgow writes with unflinching beauty. We meet Tiger Tolliver at her most broken--at her darkest moment--and yet, somehow, How To Make Friends With the Dark teaches us how to let the light in. Read this book. It's gorgeous.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Every once in a while, I read a book that feels so profound I don’t think I can do it justice in a review. Kathleen Glasgow’s debut GIRL IN PIECES was one of those books. Glasgow’s sophomore efforts HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE DARK is just as special.

Tiger AKA Grace and her mother June live an isolated life. With few friends other than BFF Cake, Tiger lives an isolated life. Then, after an argument, June dies and Tiger must navigate life without her mother and in the foster care sys
Liz Lawson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading How To Make Friends With the Dark over the weekend and you guys - it is STUNNING. It's one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time - it's a book about grief and love and trying to keep yourself together when your whole world is falling apart. This is going to be such an important book to so many people. Kathleen Glasgow is a true treasure. Could not recommended more.
Bridgett
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Tuesdays with Morrie made me sob like a baby...How to Make Friends with the Dark did not. In fact, it left me feeling a smidge ambivalent.

Please don't misunderstand. This was a good story. The writing was fantastic, the characters were insightful and brimming with depth, and the theme was topical and on point. Something about it though, felt plastic? generic?
Out of the Bex
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished this book and it was sad and honest and important and I hope one day you’ll read it or gift it to someone else.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Too often YA of today is sugar-coated. I think that’s a disservice to teens. They’re stronger than we give them credit for and they’re living lives just as complex as an adults. Why should we try to deny them that fact in books?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Tiger Tolliver is a character I’ll never forget. This book deserves to be held in high esteem, share
ellie
Do you only realize how many broken lives are around you when you have a broken life of your own?
Jessie_Book
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I thought it would be. I'm actually little surprised that this it YA. It follows a sixteen year old character named Tiger, but thats the only part that feels YA. Everything else is a harsh gripping look into the life of this young girl who lost her mother. This is a powerful book that will leave you satisfied and thoughtful.

Every time something that seems stereotypical YA would happen I would relax a little and think "oh this is familiar, I'm sure all will be well now". A
Mari Johnston
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Trigger Warnings: death, hospitals, self-harm, suicide, panic attacks, PTSD, underage drinking, drug use, abuse, eating disorders

What. A. Book. Packed with emotion, How to Make Friends with the Dark is a hard to read novel that gives us a raw, messy, and relatable look at grief. When I picked this novel up I thought I knew what I was getting myself into since I had previously read, and loved, Kathleen Glasgow’s
Cory Marie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well-written books about grief always make me feel simultaneously hollow and full. There is just something about stories like How to Make Friends With the Dark that pull on my innermost emotions and cement themselves in my soul. Kathleen Glasgow perfectly captured what it feels like to grieve, while also showing that sparks of hope and love can be found in the most random and unsuspecting places.
Seema Rao
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Glascow's book is one of the best YA books I've read this year (and I've already read plenty.) I am astonished at the way she used language and plotting, masterfully low-key and high-emotional. This book is in the genre of emotional YA books, but it isn't frivolous with emotionalism or trite in the way readers are pulled into the story. I highly recommend this one for all readers for its literary qualities. Terribly well-done and wonderfully hard to read at parts.

Thanks to NetGalley fo
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Note: I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from reviewing this year. I need a bit of a break from the pressures of reviewing, so I'm just going with the flow this year. I'll obviously still be reading, but at my own pace and when I feel like it. Thank you for understanding!
S.M. Parker
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything you'd expect from Kathleen Glasgow. Powerful prose. Impeccable story-telling. A harsh and tender examination of grief and finding one's voice while surviving tragedy. I was fortunate to receive an early read of this book, courtesy of the author. Full review to come. In the meantime, don't hesitate to pre-order this starkly powerful novel.
Rian Henry
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly dark and sad. So good. It's basically about a girl trying to cope with her mother's sudden death.
Natasha
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Things get away from you sometimes, and you can't get them back."

We all go through grief. However, we all go through it in our own ways. The darkness we face after losing the people we love, is our ways of dealing with them.
It gets ugly, tiring and lonely but at some point in time we must find ways to wake up and face the darkness and move on.

Moving on is not easy but it is necessary. Grief will never end but our mind and body will find ways to move on from it.

The stor
Mandi1082
Oh my heart is breaking into a million pieces. This book was filled with so much raw emotions on the subject of dealing with a death of somebody you love so much. I loved the story that was written on what some children have to deal with when somebody that they thought would always be there to take care of them is suddenly not there any more to do that. How children are moved from foster home to foster home on hopes on finding a forever home but some who just stick around until the age out of th ...more
Simone
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book to promote on Instagram, but I was interested in the book before the promotion and so I read it right away. This book didn't disappointment me and made me think about more things than just a young girl who loses her mother.

::TRIGGER WARNING::

This story deals with loss and grief as its main theme. There's also discussion of homelessness, the foster care system, and child/domestic abuse.

How to Make Friends with the Dark was my first novel by Kathleen Gla/>::TRIGGER
Klancy
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
I don't know what it's like to lose someone close to me. I lost my grandma, yes, but I didn't have the close relationship that Tiger had with her mom when she passed. Even so, I could feel Tiger's pain like it was my own. She always described herself as a girl-bug trapped in a jar that people would ogle because they didn't know how to treat her after her mom passed unexpectedly, thrusting her into the foster care system.

My heart hurt for Tiger as she tried to learn how to live without her mom.
Katie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-tbr
“Books are good. I can live life safely and without peril in a fictional universe.”

Here is what happens when your mother dies.

That’s how it feels for Tiger. It’s always been Tiger and her mother against the world. Then, on a day like any other, Tiger’s mother dies. And now it’s Tiger, alone.

/>
Here
Katherine Locke
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I sobbed through all of it but wow what a beautiful book.

• Finding Darcy
  • You Be Mother
  • The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • The Good Daughter
  • Living on Hope Street
  • P is for Pearl
  • Stargazing For Beginners
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Dig
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
Kathleen Glasgow is the author of the New York Times bestseller Girl in Pieces (also a Target Book Club pick--seriously!). Proud faulty robot. Visit her on Twitter (@kathglasgow), Instagram (misskathleenglasgow), or her website (www.kathleenglasgowbooks.com).
“It could be disappointment, too, Tiger, and you need to prepare yourself for that. But if it's disappointing, it doesn't have to be devastating, does that make sense? Life has this, life has that, and then something else comes along again, like a wave. We ride the waves. You go down, you go up, you go down, sometimes you just drift.” 4 likes
“But there isn't a single word in the universe that you can think of that would describe the way you feel right now.” 3 likes