Start by marking “How to Make Friends with the Dark” as Want to Read:
How to Make Friends with the Dark

How to Make Friends with the Dark

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  4,646 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews
Here is what happens when your mother dies.

It’s the brightest day of summer and it’s dark outside. It’s dark in your house, dark in your room, and dark in your heart. You feel like the darkness is going to split you apart.

That’s how it feels for Tiger. It’s always been Tiger and her mother against the world. Then, on a day like any other, Tiger’s mother dies. And now it’s
Published April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Friends with the Dark, please sign up.
Kat TL;DR: The release date for books is given on the goodreads page, underneath the "get a copy", in small text alongside the description.
In this case, i…more
In this case, it currently says "Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press"

Longer answer:
If you ever look at the reviews and think "There are over a 100 reviews, this book must be out already", remember that there are services such as netgalley that allow people to read pre-release books and ask them to review it. Also, there is a community of book lovers online - on youtube, instagram, twitter, etc - that often recommend such books to each other. Influencers on this platform can request books directly from the publisher, before they are released, in order to recommend them to their followers (if the book is good). In this way books can have many reviews before they are out.(less)
Harinee I think its better."Girl in Pieces" at some points I felt where was the book going but here I wanted to know very much where the story was going.Yes i…moreI think its better."Girl in Pieces" at some points I felt where was the book going but here I wanted to know very much where the story was going.Yes its a little sadder at points than GIP but definitely very well written.(less)

·  4,646 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews

Start your review of How to Make Friends with the Dark
Kat
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
i cried. this was beautiful. one of the best books about grief i’ve ever read. highly recommend.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darkest, full of grief and heartbreaking five stars!
There are too many scary things outside world. You may loose your loved ones, you can hurt yourself in several ways. You can lose your possessions, your social circles, your carrier or your dignity, patience, reputation.
But the scariest thing in life is loosing your inner light , turn it off forever and surrender to the dark!
This book is really pessimistic, depressing, heart wrenching! Too many times I thought to stop reading but I pushed my
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

is for the grievers
is for the left behind
this book
is for every broken heart
searching for a home

Kathleen Glasgow

This book broke my damn heart! That’s all! The end!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Delacorte Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I got to meet Kathleen at the National Book Festival!!

***********
Oh my god. I don't think I have EVER read a book better than this one. It made me giggle. It made me cry. This is a book that everyone needs to read. And then read again. And again.

This book but me with a tsunami of emotions. Stronger than anything a book has ever made me feel in a while.

Grief is a very hard thing to put on to paper. I mean having
Kathleen Glasgow
Jul 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is now a thing! It's about a girl named Tiger Tolliver who has to learn how to live with loss. It's about learning what family means. What it means to take care of someone and let yourself be cared for. Feel free to ask me questions about it and I'll do my best to answer.
jaime ⭐️
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
times i cried during this book: six
times i texted my mum and my dad to tell them i love them while reading parts of this book: countless
Irena BookDustMagic
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Going into How to Make Friends with the Dark I knew I was dealing with heart hitting, emotional prose that will leave me feel low, but nothing prepared me for the amount of emotions I feltl.
This book was heart wrenching in all it means!

I picked this book during a readathon, which was a HUGE mistake. You see, because so many bad things happened to our main character Tiger, it was really hard for me to speed through the story.
So I failed the readathon, but I got so much from this novel, that I’m n
Jenny Jo Weir
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one was difficult. It's sad, and real, and a bit tragic. I liked the unexpected events of the after effects and the unraveling of life in this novel. It's not one I'll be forgetting any time soon.
Julie Zantopoulos
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come but Trigger Warnings for self harm, alcohol abuse, grief, loss of a parent, loss of a sibling, loss of a loved on by suicide, loss of a loved one via health (cancer etc), loss of a loved one via accident (car), driving under the influence, discussion of extreme domestic violence (parent on child and boyfriend on girlfriend), emotional abuse, alcoholism, imprisonment of a parent, child neglect, eating disorder rep (is not eating to the point of self harm due to grief)... it’s a dif ...more
Faith M ✨
I received this eARC from Delacorte Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

You have always been lonely and you have never admitted it.

Obligatory Summary

Tiger Tolliver's mother just died and her whole life has been turned upside down. Traded from foster home to foster home, from strangers to family and back again, she mourns her mother. There is no
may ❀
i really loved the first half of this book and its portrayal of grief and trauma. tiger's home and school life felt so authentic and made me want to sob 43241 times

but the second half (view spoiler) was,,,,,,,,boring IM SORRY

i was more detached from the characters and found it tiring to keep reading (y'all the book is 400 pages and if i aint entertained for 400 pages, it isnt going to work well) everything felt very repetitive and the charac
Travel.with.a.book
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another powerful and masterpiece by Glasgow, How To Make Friends With The Dark is a very stunning book, the story will be pinned in my head for a while because it has such an interesting and curated writings!
We all have ups and downs and I would nothing recommend you to read more than this beautiful and powerful book, Kathleen once again teaches us how to save us in our worst moments, she really reminds us that after lots of hurricanes will come a rainbow that can stuck for a while.
After surviv
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
“you are carrying so many heavy feelings. there just isn’t enough room for them all.”

going into this book, i had absolutely no idea what it was about. the only thing i knew was that it was going to be a sad contemporary, and that it was indeed. since i barely heard anyone talk about the novel either, i also pretty much had no expectations and that was ideal, to be quite honest. i feel like if how to make friends with the dark had been praised by everyone i watch on booktube and everyone whose
Amy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grief is extremely personal. No two people experience and process their grief in the same way. Kathleen Glasgow's novel How to Make Friends with the Dark beautifully explores the complexity, the isolation, the raw pain you feel when someone you love dies.

What's it about?
Tiger's mother may be overprotective, but it has always been Tiger and her mother against the world.

On a day like any other, after harsh words you can't take back are exchanged, Tiger's mother unexpectedly dies. And now Tiger is
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
2005 emo me is sCREAMING at that title

I need this
TL
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tore at my emotions the whole time and broke my heart many times. I can't pick one that stands out more than the others.

It reminded me of when I was grieving for my furbabies Tasha and Lilly, my bird Woody, Grandma, and Pop Pop. I kept thinking I was feeling this.. I experienced that! She gets it!

Not to compare my experiences to anyone else's, just to let you in to my thought process.

Some things in the end chapters had me almost outright bawling in the breakroom and smiling a little
Bridgett
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Tuesdays with Morrie made me sob like a baby...How to Make Friends with the Dark did not. In fact, it left me feeling a smidge ambivalent.

Please don't misunderstand. This was a good story. The writing was fantastic, the characters were insightful and brimming with depth, and the theme was topical and on point. Something about it though, felt plastic? generic? empty? I'm not entirely sure I can pinpoint why I felt this way, I just did. I realize every person experiences grief differently, but
Julie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this raw, powerful and heartbreaking meditation on loss and grief, Glasgow writes with unflinching beauty. We meet Tiger Tolliver at her most broken--at her darkest moment--and yet, somehow, How To Make Friends With the Dark teaches us how to let the light in. Read this book. It's gorgeous.
Obelina Wang
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
“I’ll never see her crescent moon superhero mark again. It seems wrong to put her in a box and shove her underground and walk away. She made jams and jellies and grew irises and sunflowers and told me about periods and breasts and bras and how to properly wash my face and she brushed my hair…”

My grandmother had a garden full of plants, a house filled with fishes and turtles and she loved hosting. She had a life filled with adventures and plenty of people who adored her. She cooked all types of f
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Every once in a while, I read a book that feels so profound I don’t think I can do it justice in a review. Kathleen Glasgow’s debut GIRL IN PIECES was one of those books. Glasgow’s sophomore efforts HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE DARK is just as special.

Tiger AKA Grace and her mother June live an isolated life. With few friends other than BFF Cake, Tiger lives an isolated life. Then, after an argument, June dies and Tiger must navigate life without her mother and in the foster care system.

HOW TO M
Liz Lawson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading How To Make Friends With the Dark over the weekend and you guys - it is STUNNING. It's one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time - it's a book about grief and love and trying to keep yourself together when your whole world is falling apart. This is going to be such an important book to so many people. Kathleen Glasgow is a true treasure. Could not recommended more.
ellie
Do you only realize how many broken lives are around you when you have a broken life of your own?
Ingrid
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I’m not crying, my eyes are just sweating ;-;
Out of the Bex
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished this book and it was sad and honest and important and I hope one day you’ll read it or gift it to someone else.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Too often YA of today is sugar-coated. I think that’s a disservice to teens. They’re stronger than we give them credit for and they’re living lives just as complex as an adults. Why should we try to deny them that fact in books?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Tiger Tolliver is a character I’ll never forget. This book deserves to be held in high esteem, shared among teens and adults
Jessica C Writes
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend the audiobook.

This was a beautiful book and I’m so happy I read it!! It made me cry, it made me laugh, Tiger is an amazing character with so much depth. Ugh, so good.
Jessie_Book
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I thought it would be. I'm actually little surprised that this it YA. It follows a sixteen year old character named Tiger, but thats the only part that feels YA. Everything else is a harsh gripping look into the life of this young girl who lost her mother. This is a powerful book that will leave you satisfied and thoughtful.

Every time something that seems stereotypical YA would happen I would relax a little and think "oh this is familiar, I'm sure all will be well now". A
Ann Withers [jo]
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
~Personal review~
Ok, wow, um, my heart has literally been ripped to shreds by this book. It was really, really, really good. And so powerful. But it was also a hard book to read. Especially for anyone who is/has dealt with grief in the past.
Here’s why I dropped it two stars:
One of the characters talked about getting an abortion and how that was a good thing. I am unashamedly pro-life. Life isn’t perfect. Life can be complete garbage a lot of times. But that doesn’t give you the right to murder s
Hadewych thereaderinpink
I do not cry quickly while reading books, but this book made me cry three times.
This was such a beautiful and heartbreaking story.

I was really scared to start 'How to Make Friends with the Dark', because I thought it would be a slow read and it was definitely not. Kathleen Glasgow has a beautiful and smooth writing style and I literally flew trough the book. I think I would even finished it in one day if it wasn't a buddy read, because it was so beautiful.

Also, I really loved the movie reference
Katie.dorny
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
A heartbreakingly dark book that selves into grief and the life we choose to live after losing a loved one.

This wrote about grief to poignantly and on the nose, I loved it. The normalcy of life juxtaposed with our protagonists thoughts and feelings felt like grief in real life when your world stops but the world around you continues you as normal.

A book that is heavy and will weigh on your heart long after, I don’t know why I held off this book for so long.
Mari Johnston
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Trigger Warnings: death, hospitals, self-harm, suicide, panic attacks, PTSD, underage drinking, drug use, abuse, eating disorders

What. A. Book. Packed with emotion, How to Make Friends with the Dark is a hard to read novel that gives us a raw, messy, and relatable look at grief. When I picked this novel up I thought I knew what I was getting myself into since I had previously read, and loved, Kathleen Glasgow’s debut Girl in Pi

• How It Feels to Float
  • Heroine
  • Wilder Girls
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • With the Fire on High
  • The How and the Why
  • A Danger to Herself and Others
  • What Kind of Girl
  • Clap When You Land
  • The Art of Breaking Things
  • All Our Broken Pieces
  • Radio Silence
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Be Not Far from Me
  • Dig.
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Opposite of Always
Kathleen Glasgow is the author of the New York Times bestseller Girl in Pieces (also a Target Book Club pick--seriously!) and How to Make Friends With the Dark. Proud faulty robot. Visit her on Twitter (@kathglasgow), Instagram (misskathleenglasgow), or her website (www.kathleenglasgowbooks.com). ...more