Start by marking “How to Make Friends with the Dark” as Want to Read:
How to Make Friends with the Dark

How to Make Friends with the Dark

Here is what happens when your mother dies.

It’s the brightest day of summer and it’s dark outside. It’s dark in your house, dark in your room, and dark in your heart. You feel like the darkness is going to split you apart.

Published April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Friends with the Dark, please sign up.
Kat TL;DR: The release date for books is given on the goodreads page, underneath the "get a copy", in small text alongside the description.
In this case,…more
In this case, it currently says "Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press"

Longer answer:
If you ever look at the reviews and think "There are over a 100 reviews, this book must be out already", remember that there are services such as netgalley that allow people to read pre-release books and ask them to review it. Also, there is a community of book lovers online - on youtube, instagram, twitter, etc - that often recommend such books to each other. Influencers on this platform can request books directly from the publisher, before they are released, in order to recommend them to their followers (if the book is good). In this way books can have many reviews before they are out.(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

is for the grievers
is for the left behind
this book
is for every broken heart
searching for a home

Kathleen Glasgow

This book broke my damn heart! That’s all! The end!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG
Kathleen Glasgow
Jul 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is now a thing! It's about a girl named Tiger Tolliver who has to learn how to live with loss. It's about learning what family means. What it means to take care of someone and let yourself be cared for. Feel free to ask me questions about it and I'll do my best to answer.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darkest, full of grief and heartbreaking five stars!
There are too many scary things outside world. You may loose your loved ones, you can hurt yourself in several ways. You can lose your possessions, your social circles, your carrier or your dignity, patience, reputation.
But the scariest thing in life is loosing your inner light , turn it off forever and surrender to the dark!
This book is really pessimistic, depressing, heart wrenching! Too many times I thought to stop reading but I pushed my
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)

Oh my god. I don't think I have EVER read a book better than this one. It made me giggle. It made me cry. This is a book that everyone needs to read. And then read again. And again.

This book but me with a tsunami of emotions. Stronger than anything a book has ever made me feel in a while.

Grief is a very hard thing to put on to paper. I mean having someone you love die is one of the hardest things any human will ever have to face. I have been fortunate to only face it once. Even so, I know how p
Travel.with.a.book
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another powerful and masterpiece by Glasgow, How To Make Friends With The Dark is a very stunning book, the story will be pinned in my head for a while because it has such an interesting and curated writings!
We all have ups and downs and I would nothing recommend you to read more than this beautiful and powerful book, Kathleen once again teaches us how to save us in our worst moments, she really reminds us that after lots of hurricanes will come a rainbow that can stuck for a while.
After surviv
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from Delacorte Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

You have always been lonely and you have never admitted it.

Obligatory Summary

Tiger Tolliver's mother just died and her whole life has been turned upside down. Traded from foster home to foster home, from strangers to family and back again, she mourns her mother. There is no gu
Amy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grief is extremely personal. No two people experience and process their grief in the same way. Kathleen Glasgow's novel How to Make Friends with the Dark beautifully explores the complexity, the isolation, the raw pain you feel when someone you love dies.

What's it about?
Tiger's mother may be overprotective, but it has always been Tiger and her mother against the world.

On a day like any other, after harsh words you can't take back are exchanged, Tiger's mother unexpectedly dies. And now Tiger is
TL
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tore at my emotions the whole time and broke my heart many times. I can't pick one that stands out more than the others.

It reminded me of when I was grieving for my furbabies Tasha and Lilly, my bird Woody, Grandma, and Pop Pop. I kept thinking I was feeling this.. I experienced that! She gets it!

Not to compare my experiences to anyone else's, just to let you in to my thought process.

Some things in the end chapters had me almost outright bawling in the breakroom and smiling a little
Liz Lawson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading How To Make Friends With the Dark over the weekend and you guys - it is STUNNING. It's one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time - it's a book about grief and love and trying to keep yourself together when your whole world is falling apart. This is going to be such an important book to so many people. Kathleen Glasgow is a true treasure. Could not recommended more.
Julie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this raw, powerful and heartbreaking meditation on loss and grief, Glasgow writes with unflinching beauty. We meet Tiger Tolliver at her most broken--at her darkest moment--and yet, somehow, How To Make Friends With the Dark teaches us how to let the light in. Read this book. It's gorgeous.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Every once in a while, I read a book that feels so profound I don’t think I can do it justice in a review. Kathleen Glasgow’s debut GIRL IN PIECES was one of those books. Glasgow’s sophomore efforts HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE DARK is just as special.

Tiger AKA Grace and her mother June live an isolated life. With few friends other than BFF Cake, Tiger lives an isolated life. Then, after an argument, June dies and Tiger must navigate life without her mother and in the foster care system.

HOW TO M
Jessie_Book
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I thought it would be. I'm actually little surprised that this it YA. It follows a sixteen year old character named Tiger, but thats the only part that feels YA. Everything else is a harsh gripping look into the life of this young girl who lost her mother. This is a powerful book that will leave you satisfied and thoughtful.

Every time something that seems stereotypical YA would happen I would relax a little and think "oh this is familiar, I'm sure all will be well now". A
Mari Johnston
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Trigger Warnings: death, hospitals, self-harm, suicide, panic attacks, PTSD, underage drinking, drug use, abuse, eating disorders

What. A. Book. Packed with emotion, How to Make Friends with the Dark is a hard to read novel that gives us a raw, messy, and relatable look at grief. When I picked this novel up I thought I knew what I was getting myself into since I had previously read, and loved, Kathleen Glasgow’s debut Girl in Pi
Seema Rao
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Glascow's book is one of the best YA books I've read this year (and I've already read plenty.) I am astonished at the way she used language and plotting, masterfully low-key and high-emotional. This book is in the genre of emotional YA books, but it isn't frivolous with emotionalism or trite in the way readers are pulled into the story. I highly recommend this one for all readers for its literary qualities. Terribly well-done and wonderfully hard to read at parts.

Thanks to NetGalley fo
S.M. Parker
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything you'd expect from Kathleen Glasgow. Powerful prose. Impeccable story-telling. A harsh and tender examination of grief and finding one's voice while surviving tragedy. I was fortunate to receive an early read of this book, courtesy of the author. Full review to come. In the meantime, don't hesitate to pre-order this starkly powerful novel.
Simone
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book to promote on Instagram, but I was interested in the book before the promotion and so I read it right away. This book didn't disappointment me and made me think about more things than just a young girl who loses her mother.

::TRIGGER WARNING::

This story deals with loss and grief as its main theme. There's also discussion of homelessness, the foster care system, and child/domestic abuse.

How to Make Friends with the Dark was my first novel by Kathleen Glasgow and I ha
Cory Marie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well-written books about grief always make me feel simultaneously hollow and full. There is just something about stories like How to Make Friends With the Dark that pull on my innermost emotions and cement themselves in my soul. Kathleen Glasgow perfectly captured what it feels like to grieve, while also showing that sparks of hope and love can be found in the most random and unsuspecting places.
Katie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Books are good. I can live life safely and without peril in a fictional universe.”

Here is what happens when your mother dies.

That’s how it feels for Tiger. It’s always been Tiger and her mother against the world. Then, on a day like any other, Tiger’s mother dies. And now it’s Tiger, alone.

Here is how you learn to make
Siobhan Bejr
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"This book
Is for the grievers
This book
Is for the left behind
This book
Is for every broken heart
Searching for a home"

When I first read Kathleen Glasgow's A Girl in Pieces, I had no idea it was a debut novel. That one hit me right in the core and I didn't realise that something could be so true until I read How to Make Friends With the Dark.
This book just broke my heart over and over again and I couldn't imagine that something would get to me as much as this book did.
I couldn't believe some of th
Heather
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely mind blown at how amazing this novel was. From the very first sentence I was ready to not stop and to see where kathleen was going to take us on this journey. I will say, if you need a trigger warning please be warned about sexual abuse and suicide. Those topics were discussed but, it wasn’t as overpowering as I was expecting it to be due to me getting out of a domestic violence situation recently. The storyline was very captivating and I felt apart of the book the entire way thr ...more
ftnrsnn
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I was given an advanced reading copy of this book by Times Reads.
Thank You!

Grief is such a strange thing.
Sometimes it seems to be gone entirely,
but then one smell or sound or memory and it’s as if it was waiting there,
in the shadows, until you noticed it following you.

Grief and what it makes of the people caught up in and spat out of its wake, is the central theme of Kathleen Glasgow’s How to Make Friends With The Dark. It tells the story of a girl who prefers to be called Tiger.

It’s always
Stacy Fetters
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It would be nice if once, someone would just say, Girl, you are in the shit and you will not be getting out soon. So here’s how to make friends with the dark.”

Kathleen Glasgow knows how to reach inside of you and spot your deepest emotions. Ones you have hidden so deep down that you don’t know how she reaches them. She writes with such beauty, that you can’t help but notice. She stands out from the rest.

Sara
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are no words.
KirstyReads
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review also posted https://kirstysbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/29/review-how-to-make-friends-with-the-dark-kathleen-glasgow/

I only just finished this book about half an hour ago (it is currently 3:30am as I write this) and I wanted to do my review as soon as because I have so much to say about this absolutely stunning book. This week marks the 9th anniversary of my Granda dying so it was a very poignant time for me to be reading something that deals so heavily with loss however, in a way it de
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
So far, April has been a month for excellent books. Let's keep that momentum going; this one was an examination of grief and how one girl works through it. More in a review to come tomorrow!
-----
Full review posted on between-the-shelves.com

We received an ARC of this book at work, and first of all, let’s just admire this cover. It’s absolutely beautiful. So far, I’ve thought that of both of Kathleen Glasgow’s books. This is one of the first books I’m checking off my Spring TBR. Yay! Dark and emot
Georgia
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Glasgow once again reaches inside of you and knows how to break your heart with her beautiful damaged characters. She writes with so much heart that you can't help but connect to her books and root for her characters.

Losing someone is never easy. But when it's the only person in your life, it turns your world upside down. Tiger finds herself in this situation when her mother passes away. The last thing that was said between the two wasn't a great way to ends things and after it ruins Ti
Katherine
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-r-c, ya, fiction
This book was a LOT to take. It is exquisitely written, in my opinion, to give a small glimpse into the trials that are faced by youths who are (view spoiler) It is a heartbreaking world that so many of us know nothing about, and I hope this story gives those who are in this situation a sense of being seen and teaches t ...more
Anne Z.
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
am speechless and lost in a tsunami of emotions.
Kathleen Glasgow surprised me and shocked me with Girl in Pieces, and it is no different here.

Grief sucks
Grief stinks
There is no happy ending in grief
So needless to say (and true to what I now consider Kathleen Glasgow's style), there is no happy ending here either...

For full review and more Subscribe/Like/Follow

Blog: http://glimpsesofmybooks.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/glimpses_of...
GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5...
I was given an advanced reading copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Wow! I really enjoyed this book, maybe especially because the young adult market seems to be saturated with one dimensional romances or supposed thriller twists that aren't. Kathleen Glasgow has written well-developed characters and a situation that doesn't stretch the imagination beyond what is believable. I loved Tiger and the fact that her emotions and actions were not stereotypical and the foster-
CompletelyBooked
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book ended up being a lot different than I expected, mainly because it ended up being a lot heavier than I would expect from a YA book.
I enjoyed this book a lot more than Girl In Pieces, and the writing style reminded me vaguely of the Shatter Me series at times, which may have had something to do with it.
Tiger’s story gives a harsh, realistic look of what it’s like to be in foster care, grieving, and trying to figure out how to live after having her world ripped apart. Very interesting bo
  • Finding Darcy
  • You Be Mother
  • The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • The Good Daughter
  • Living on Hope Street
  • P is for Pearl
  • Stargazing For Beginners
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Dig
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled #1)
Kathleen Glasgow is the author of the New York Times bestseller Girl in Pieces (also a Target Book Club pick--seriously!). Proud faulty robot. Visit her on Twitter (@kathglasgow), Instagram (misskathleenglasgow), or her website (www.kathleenglasgowbooks.com).