Start by marking “Karl's New Beak: 3-D Printing Builds a Bird a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Karl's New Beak: 3-D Printing Builds a Bird a Better Life

Karl's New Beak: 3-D Printing Builds a Bird a Better Life

Karl is an Abyssinian ground hornbill with a special challenge. His lower bill had broken off and made eating difficult. Karl did a great job of adapting and finding new ways to eat, but he wasn't getting all the food he needed. His zookeepers at the National Zoo and friends at the Smithsonian Institute wanted to help. Could an old bird skeleton and a 3-D printer give Karl ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Capstone Editions

To ask other readers questions about Karl's New Beak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karl's New Beak

Start your review of Karl's New Beak: 3-D Printing Builds a Bird a Better Life
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karl's New Beak by Lela Margo is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This book is for ages 6-8 but I think kids even older would enjoy this too.
This book explains how Karl has lost half his bottom beak and all the many ways the people that work with him tried helping him by making acrylic fake beaks for him. None of them worked. Then the 3D printers and an old skeleton, that was similar to Karl's, assisted the making of a new beak for him. The book goes the the
Fran
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is something special. More often than not, books that have real animals as main characters go for cuteness instead of substance, but that’s not the case in Karl’s New Beak. Karl is a Abyssinian ground hornbill, which translates to Karl is a large black bird with a red throat. Karl is imposing, majestic, perhaps even a bit scary-looking for very young children, but most important, Karl lost the bottom half of his beak. Because of that, he can only eat a very restricted diet (which is ...more
A good explanation of how 3-d printer was able to help a poor Abyssinian ground hornbill whose beak had broken.

With clear pictures, and great illustrations, the story of Karl and his broken bill is explained and shown, step by step and the scientists try to find the best solution to poor Karl's problem.

Highly recommended for the use of explaining the reasons why the bird would need a bill, as well, as for explanations when they are necessary.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for
Literary Soirée
What a fabulous book about 3-D printing and its role in giving new life to a disabled Abyssinian ground hornbill at the National Zoo! Teaches children science in a magical way. 5 of 5 Stars.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine. Pub Date 01 Mar 2019. #KarlsNewBeak #NetGalley
Marco
"Karl's New Beak" by Lela Nargi is about an Abyssinian ground hornbill who is part of a zoo exhibit and the bottom part of his beak was slowly eroding away.

First fitted with an acrylic prosthesis, 3-D technology made it possible to scan old fossil bones and create a cover that could be glued on to the beak.

The beak is necessary for this animal as it uses it to dig for bugs and throw food into the air to catch and eat. Poor Karl had to put his entire face to the ground to eat by pushing food into
Julia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a book I chose to read after the rescue and rehab of Angel the GOA Fainting Goat.

This story explains a bit about Karl the hornbill and what happened to his beak as well as why it was so important to have it fixed. From there it goes into describing what was needed to be done to fix the beak, the upsides and the downsides of today's technology fixes.

The book uses a combination of mostly real photographs, some colored sketches and the models of the technology to help round out the
MissMcfoxlin
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: give-away
It was my first time with a Smithsonian book and a 4D book... And I wasn't disappointed!

Karl's story is well written. The way it's written is just perfect to entertain adults and children. There are just enough explanations to allow the kids to understand without being overwhelmed by theories.

The illustrations bring dynamism to the story and we see exactly what the author's describing.

I downloaded the app and scanned the page with the star to see an interesting video! I was pretty pleased!

Sandy Brehl
This is an intriguing and empathetic portrayal of ways that (good) zoos are committed to providing the animals in their care with innovative techniques.
The use of 3-D printers, scanning, and collaboration make it a great model text for STEM and maker-based activities.
The multiple attempts and adjustments, as well as the temporary nature of their eventual success, also provide a healthy dose of realism regarding the results of problem solving efforts.
Rochell Segura
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for the curious young minds! Go hands on with the book and enjoy the creativity and educational benefits along with the personal pictures. My Autistic son, who is 15, really enjoyed the story line and to watch from start to finish how a Smithsonian animal was helped was amazing! Great for all ages!!
Great Books
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-8-9
Zookeepers at the National Zoo came up with an ingenious solution for Karl, an Abyssinian ground hornbill with a broken beak. When Karl had trouble eating, zookeepers, vets, and scientists work together using an old skeleton and a 3-D printer to carefully make a new beak for Karl. Reviewer 16.
Amanda
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An engaging look at how science was able to help Karl the Abyssinian ground hornbill live his best life. Recommended to any young engineers and/or animal lovers out there!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Cat
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so impressed by what 3-D printers can do! I enjoyed reading about how it helped Karl the hornbill bird eat. I think this would be a wonderful addition to a wild bird collection for children, Or even inspire older teens or adults to look into and learn about 3-D printing. great story!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 27, 2019
Jackie Lantern
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can they print me a new shoulder? I’m not as adorable as the main character in this story, but I’m just as in need!
Ro Menendez
Crystal
Oct 23, 2019
Jespionage310
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazingly educational and phenomenally illustrated book. My sons and I enjoyed this so very much!! I love how it included illustrations and real pictures and had so much to learn. Perfect book. It held their interest and they wanted to read it again and again. This has made it to our favorites shelf.
Tara

• Stargazing
  • At the Mountain's Base
  • Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • Just Like Rube Goldberg: The Incredible True Story of the Man Behind the Machines
  • The Boy Who Grew a Forest: The True Story of Jadav Payeng
  • Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat #1
  • Torpedoed: The True Story of the World War II Sinking of "The Children's Ship"
  • Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando
  • The Book Hog
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
  • Love the Fur You're in (Sesame Street)
  • Vroom!
I’m a writer of books for adults and children living in a leafy corner of Brooklyn, NY with my daughter, my husband and my dog.