Start by marking “The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species” as Want to Read:
The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species

The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species

In the cloud forests of the Amazon Basin, scientists are installing extraordinary numbers of camera traps in the hopes of learning more about an elusive species--woolly monkeys.

Join scientists on their quest to
Published January 1st 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about The Woolly Monkey Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woolly Monkey Mysteries

Start your review of The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species
Toni
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, children, nature
‘Woolly monkeys’ is a book that will be appreciated by future biologists and explorers of vulnerable species, people who work hard to preserve bio diversity and simply by anybody who cares deeply about the rainforest.
The book is very informative as well as beautifully illustrated. We learn not only about why woolly monkeys are called the rainforest gardeners, but also about the rainforest itself and the equipment and technology that helps scientists observe these mysterious animals. There is
Etienne
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Clearly another book with a very specific subject. It's good, there is a lot of information in it but my problem with it was the targeted audience for it because it look like a children book, but there is so much text, so much information that it's clearly not adapted for young reader. Good but for older reader then the book might make you think at first look! Probably for reader around 9 or 10 I think...
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
The title caught my eye first. I was browsing the nonfiction section of Netgalley, so what was a title like that doing in this section? Then when I saw the fuzzballs masquerading as monkeys, I knew I wanted to give it a look.

The Woolly Monkey Mysteries isn’t so much about the mysteries themselves as it is the way scientists are trying to find out more about the monkeys. It talks about how hard it is to track this particular species and the camera traps that they’ve resorted to in efforts to
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species by Sandra Markle. NONFICTION PICTURE BOOK. Millbrook Press (Lerner), 2019. $24. 9781512458688.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ADVISABLE, MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Woolly monkeys are a keystone species of the South American rain forest that live most of their in the high canopy of the trees. Researchers are now making extraordinary efforts to learn about these monkeys in order to help them--and the rain forests--survive.

This
Paul Franco
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Subtitled “The Quest to Save A Rain Forest Species.”
Through photos, diagrams, and descriptions, the efforts of scientists to protect the animals of the title in the Peruvian part of the Amazon cloud forest are documented.
Never expected to find a lecture on camera traps and nature photography! That alone made this read worth it. In fact, I found it interesting enough that I checked out the links in back to see such photos.
I’m not that familiar with reading ages, but I suspect this skews a little
Heather Johnson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the PERFECT book for any young reader interested in animals, science, and/or ecology. This story answers the question of why scientists often focus on one thing that seems unrelated to the overall problem. In this case, why spend so much time on studying the woolly monkey when deforestation of the rainforest is the real issue? The answer lies in this book and the incredible work several organizations have put in to understanding rainforest growth and the role animals play in regeneration ...more
Steph
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely book on Woolly Monkeys, the photos are brilliant, the writing is wonderful and the book is informative. Once finished me and my daughter decided to look at some more books on this topic, not because we didn't get all the information in this book but because my child became obsessed. Thank you netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for my honest review. Awesome book.
Kimberly
Very cool! I really enjoyed this one. The photos are fantastic, and the book is just right for older children, yet I also enjoyed it as an adult. The QR codes throughout link to some neat videos where you can see and hear woolly monkeys in action.
Jun 09, 2019
Jean
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! I loved the photos as well. I love reading about and watching
documentaries about monkey life. This is a really good one! It's for children
as well as adults!
Cathy
May 19, 2019
Melissa
Mar 29, 2019
Suzanne
Apr 15, 2019
Traci
I learned a lot of interesting facts about the elusive woolly monkeys of the rain forest. Kids might like learning that they are a keystone species due to the fact that they distribute seeds through their poop. I think kids will also enjoy learning about the researchers who brave sweltering heat, army ants and poisonous animals to study them.
Mar 01, 2019
Kathy Rheinhart
Apr 29, 2019
Sharon Tyler
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Woolly Monkey Mysteries: The Quest to Save a Rain Forest Species by Sandra Markle is a nonfiction book for children and adults. In the cloud forests of the Amazon Basin, scientists are installing extraordinary numbers of camera traps in the hopes of learning more about an elusive species—woolly monkeys. No one knows for sure how many woolly monkeys are left in the wild. But they play a key role in their ecosystem, and without them the rain forest is in trouble. Readers can join scientists on ...more
Tracyesine
Jun 14, 2019
Alisha
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything with a monkey on it. It's especially nice when a book seeks to make the reader socially aware. Beautiful cover picture.
Debby
Mar 27, 2019
Tanya
Feb 24, 2019
Mrs. Scott
May 27, 2019
Melissa
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monkeys! This book offers plenty of monkey photos but, even more so, offers some excellent information on woolley monkeys and the scientists who study them. According to the publisher's web site, this book is aimed toward a Grade 4 reading level, which seems appropriate. At the same time, the book doesn't "talk down" to the reading audience at all and even adults can read it without feeling like it's a "kid's book." The book also includes QR codes throughout which can be scanned for audio and ...more
Jennifer Beatson

• The Breakaways
  • Stargazing
  • White Bird
  • The Roots of Rap: 16 Bars on the 4 Pillars of Hip-Hop
  • Undaunted: The Wild Life of Biruté Mary Galdikas and Her Fearless Quest to Save Orangutans
  • Saving the Tasmanian Devil: How Science Is Helping the World’s Largest Marsupial Carnivore Survive
  • Manuelito
  • Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
  • Nature's Ninja: Animals with Spectacular Skills
  • Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)
  • The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues, Muffler Man, and the Perfect Breakfast Burrito: a Graphic Memoir
  • Pay Attention, Carter Jones
  • When Sue Found Sue: Sue Hendrickson Discovers Her T. Rex
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's ...more