Start by marking “When Plants Attack: Strange and Terrifying Plants” as Want to Read:
When Plants Attack: Strange and Terrifying Plants

When Plants Attack: Strange and Terrifying Plants

Science writer and plant expert Rebecca E. Hirsch presents fun and gross facts about a variety of plants along with explaining the science behind why they do what they do. Featured plants include the Venus Flytrap, an African tree that houses stinging ants to protect itself from hungry animals, a "vampire vine" that sucks nutrients from other plants, and fiendishly invasiv ...more
Published January 1st 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about When Plants Attack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Plants Attack

Start your review of When Plants Attack: Strange and Terrifying Plants
Montzalee Wittmann
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Plants Attack
Strange and Terrifying Plants
by Rebecca E. Hirsch
This was a fiendishly good listen that will keep anyone entertained, especially kids! I liked the stinging tree that is so powerful in its punch that it made a soldier shoot himself after he wiped his bottom with the stinging leaves! Ouch! That had to be painful! Nature is tough! She doesn't mess around! I thank NetGalley for the chance to gain insights into Mother Nature's creepy plants! Very interesting!
Great narration!
Juli
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
What a fun (and informative) listen! From plants with poisonous defenses to those that trap & eat unsuspecting animals, this book delves into plants that aren't your grandma's petunias! And the best part -- this isn't an M. Night Shyamalan movie. It's real! These plants really exist! Just don't get too close.... :)

Rebecca Hirsch presents facts on these strange plants in an interesting manner, using true stories, humor and cool facts. This book would be an awesome addition to a science classroom
Lyndie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
When plants attack focuses heavily on the many different ways plants adapt in order to guarantee their survival.

Full of fun and gross facts about plants that kept myself and my son intrigued from start to finish. Who knew plants could be so terrifying!

The narration of this book was perfect but I wish this audiobook had photo accompaniment, it would definitely enhance the experience especially for younger readers/listeners.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley
Elizabeth
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Plants get a rep for being pretty and docile, this book challenges that by introducing you to some fascinating and deadly plants. This book gives you in depth information that is not over technical so it keeps readers of all ages engaged and is easy to understand/read but full of cool facts. It also as quick facts and fascinating captioned photos showing plants as seemly innocent and then deadly.

As a mom of a boy and the den leader for cub scouts of other boys, I am always on the look out for e
Mayu
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first audiobook review!!!! So, if I make any mistakes or forget to mention some sections that are required for a audio review, please forgive me. Anyway, now let's begin.

I really really enjoyed this book. Except for 2 plants, all the other plants were completely new to me, that is why I enjoyed this book even more. This book was informative but at the same time also concise so as to keep the length of this book short, while accommodating as many plants as possible. For each plant ther
Books, Brews & Booze
Well, this was just freakin' fascinating. But don't read it or listen to the audio when you're eating or if you're feeling squeamish, because some of this plants are downright vichyssoisse! (What I call vicious.)

The most fascinating to me is kudzu, which I didn't know much about before this book. I only knew it was invasive but I had no idea it could grow so fast, overtake cars or be made into a delicious jelly! Who knew?!

This book is suitable for adults and young scientists looking to learn mo
Greg
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, science
This is a great presentation of dangerous plants in the world. The description is vivid and clear, making the book apt for listening.
Kysha
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to this thru netgalley I liked the book and felt it was appropriate for middle grade readers. I do however think the audiobook is better as a companion to the physical book. I know what all the plants mentioned look like but pictures would be nice. I think the audiobook would be great for less experienced readers to still be able to enjoy the book.
Katie
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Lerner Audiobooks and NetGalley for the advanced audio copy of this book!

When Plants Attack by Rebecca E. Hirsch was an interesting and informative audiobook that presented plants in a whole new light! Focused on the ways that plants adapt to their habitat, we learned about plants that trap, smother, and kill in order to stay alive.

The narration on this was awesome! The delivery speed was great and the tone was instructional yet remained interesting throughout.

The plants were descri
Kranna
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been fascinated by the carnivorous plants I think this would be a wonderful audiobook to go along with a physical copy and or get children interested in doing more research on their own. The narrator's voice is very calming. Also enjoy the little stories on how the plants devour or destroy it made great examples.
Lisa
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Plants have way of surviving. Whether they live in inhospitable soil and have to catch their own food, like the venus fly trap, or they need to protect themselves from being eaten like the stinging tree, these plants have developed traits

Kinda gross, and very interesting, the full color captioned photographs show the plants up close and personal. We see the scientific process in action as specialists test why the plants do what they do. The text is accessible and short - about 3 pages per plant
Sue
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway; thank you!

I enjoyed this book, as did my 11-year-old son. It is full of information, but it's not a pretentious or overly technical presentation. It reads like scary short-stories, as though it were fiction. There are so many ways this book could be used for story-times, introductions to botany, or just introducing a reluctant reader to non-fiction.

Thank you again for offering this read.
CR
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review: This book was a great educational tool for kids. Although it does give good overviews as well as in-depth explanations for certain things. I do wished it would have been just a little longer. I could see this used as a stepping stone to get kids both boys and girls interested in plants. Where they will want to go out and learn even more.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
When Plants Attack : Strange and Terrifying Plants by Rebecca E. Hirsch NON FICTION Millbrook Press ( Lerner Imprints,, ) 2019 $31.99. 9781541526709

Violence: PG (Descriptions of the demise of bugs and animals)

BUYING ADVISORY EL, MS - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH
Jespionage310
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic educational book, full of cool facts and awesome pictures. Very interesting for all ages. My boys were excited to read this.
Kelsey
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
a fun, educational book that shows you the darker side of plants
Nikki
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, nonfiction
Loved all the information in this book. I knew plants could be vicious, but I didn't realize how vicious.
But as a Georgia native, I don't recommend eating kudzoo. Lol

• Breakfast at Bronzefield
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Lottie & Walter
  • Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
  • Economics in the Age of COVID-19 (MIT Press First Reads)
  • Writing to Be Understood: What Works and Why
  • Leaning Out: An Alternative Perspective for the Modern Corporate Woman
  • What I Know
  • When Lunch Fights Back
  • A Face Without a Heart
  • Wait, Rest, Pause
Rebecca is a scientist-turned-writer whose books for young readers have won the Green Prize for Sustainable Literature, the Riverby Award, and the Blue Crab Young Reader Award. You can learn more by visiting her website (www.rebeccahirsch.com) or by following her blog (www.rebeccahirsch.com/blog). ...more