Start by marking “Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons” as Want to Read:

Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons

you gasp as I roar,
my mane exploding, sizzling--
lion of the sky!

Published April 2nd 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Lion of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion of the Sky

Etienne
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A haiku book organized by season. The illustrations are very good and I love them, but the haikus were a bit «easy» or «light» I would say, probably not the best word, but just not deep enough for my taste even if there weren’t bad.
La Coccinelle
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one. Books of poetry for kids don't always work. But after flipping through the first few poems and pictures, I was sold.

This book is comprised of what the author calls "riddle-ku". Basically, they're haiku that describe something, only it's not explicitly spelled out. The reader then has to figure out what each haiku is referring to. I think it would be great fun for a kid to sit down and try to figure these out. Some are easier than others (but if you
Richard
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love children’s simple story books to push boundaries and present words and ideas in now and challenging ways. To entice and grab the young minds listening or learning to read.
Pitched for 5 - 9 age group, I would read this to a child as soon as they enjoy the book time experience.
Lion of the Sky is a collection Haiku for all seasons. Written by the clever and talented Laura Purdue Salas and wonderfully illustrated by Mercè López.
The colour palate is a delight on the eyes and combined with the
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Since this collection of poems is aimed at children, I rated it as such. I have to admit that I wasn't particularly intrigued by these poems, but they were good. I can imagine kids liking them for themselves, but what made me actually recommend this book to every parent with a toddler/kindergartner was that these poems are all riddles as well - they're so-called Riddle-ku-s. This makes reading this little collection more than a simple literary experience, it's a fun game this way, and it makes i ...more
Paul  Hankins
Just in time for National Poetry Month and for spring to turn toward summer, a presentation of the four seasons in a familiar form.

You gasp as I roar,
my mane EXPLODING, sizzling--
lion of the sky!

It's a perfect riddle in haiku form to share with local readers with Thunder Over Louisville happening today (April 13).

One of Laura Purdie Salas's new poetry collections (she is very busy this year with new releases) has landed in Room 407 and drew high engagement and rave reviews from one group of tee
Suzanne
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, ya-kid-lit
New books to help introduce students to poetry are always a welcome find. This book has the added benefit of excellent artwork to enhance the presentation of the poems. A combination of haiku and mask poems, each one is a riddle told by a nonhuman narrator that the reader can guess from the clues within the lines. As if that were not enough, the poems also move through the seasons with descriptions of things experienced at each time of the year.

The acrylic illustrations capture the beauty of dan
Theediscerning
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this was a lot better than I expected. The poems do all strictly follow the haiku format, and as they're supposed to convey something about the seasons or passing of time/the year, this anthology of brand new haikus certainly fits the bill. It's a pleasant read with or without knowledge of the format's restrictions, though, as you see the world through the point of view of so many unexpected things – a dandelion clock, an early bird's worm, a sand castle – even a snow angel. What's ...more
Fanna
I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley. Thank you, Laura Purdie Salas and Millbrook Press!

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

January 2019 - 30 Books On My TBR For This Month

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest
Kimberlee
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
I was provided a free digital copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lion of the Sky is a really clever and beautiful collection of haiku that all feature different aspects of the seasons. Salas has done a wonderful job of making individual haiku fit into a greater, flowing, thematic story. The art is where this book shines. I read a digital arc, but I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy so I can see all the illustrations in print. They were very vivid and imag
Monique
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
"Lion of the Sky" creatively and poetically reflects how each of Earth's seasons (spring, summer, autumn/fall, and winter) might look, smell, sound, taste, and feel. The text and illustrations in this book are equally lovely and well suited for children ages 5-9.

I received this book from NetGalley and the book's publisher in exchange for my honest review, for which I am very grateful.
Dottie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I read this book as part of a Netgalley request.
A delightful kids book full of haiku and riddles! I wasn't completely sure what this book was when I requested it, but I was in the mood for some poetry. This book not only had some clever riddles, it has absolutely beautiful illustrations. A must for any children's library!
R
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lion of the Sky:Haiku for All Seasons is a fun filled, beautifully illustrated book of Haiku riddles. It’s the perfect book that will charm the 5-9 age group. Teachers can also use this book as a model for their Haiku lessons and the changing seasons. Students will definitely be motivated, not only to create a Haiku, but to solve riddles.
Very Highly Recommended!
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am looking forward to sharing these riddle-ku poems with students.
Heidi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What a FEAST of a book! The artwork was gorgeous and the riddle-kus were so lyrical. I absolutely LOVED fireworks being called Lions of the Skies!
Michele Knott
Love these riddles written in a haiku format! Beautiful illustrations accompany each poem.
Annese
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Riddle-kus!
Melissa
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebooks, children-s
A cute book of illustrated haikus for children. Guessing what the haikus are about might be fun the first time around, but I can't see this holding a child's attention for subsequent readings.
KayCee K
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the last book I read it 2018 and it was a pretty book. I enjoyed the haiku poet and the art, I felt that they fit together, playing well of the words and paintings. Haiku could be my favorite poetry, I think because it's short yet powerful. Plus, it's easy and looked nice in my journals.

This is a poetry book for children which I feel most children would like and enjoy, it's pretty while still having a nice flow from one season to the other season. Overall, this is a good read!

The is a
Rogene Carter
Dec 23, 2018
Finley
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lion of the Sky is a really beautifully illustrated haiku book of poems through the seasons. The book illustrates everything from fireworks, to falling leaves and how a child experiences them. The haiku are beautifully written and descriptive. I really enjoyed this book.

This book was provided to me through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Poongothai
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have the seasons.
We have riddle-ku for each season
That is haiku in the form of riddles.

I'm red, delicious -
with a quick twist of your wrist,
I'm free from the tree

Illustrations are good. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC
Kelly
Apr 02, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, poetry
I love haiku, so this was a great book for me. I also think the title and cover are fantastic. I also didn't realize I was reading riddle-ku, as the author calls them, but my mind was deciphering the clues anyway.
Rani
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book weaving daily life with seasonal changes of nature.in a kid-friendly format. #Poetry #Puzzle and #nature make a heady combination for the kids.The author also introduces a new form of poetry for kids "Riddle-ku!" encouraging young to think and connect with nature and natural phenomenon daily.
Tamara
I received an advance reader copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was adorable. I loved the premise, the execution, the illustrations. This is a book I would want to have for my (hypothetical) child.
Margie
Apr 11, 2019 added it
Although observations of everything about our world through poetry is welcome any month of the year, the annual celebration of National Poetry Month in April is when poets, those who enjoy poetry and those who have yet to discover poetry can come together. The use of various poetic styles is showcased. The interplay of word choices and cadence penned using those various techniques gives the appearance of pure magic.

One poet whose work I've enjoyed for years is Laura Purdie Salas. This spring rea
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Feb 02, 2019
Vidya Tiru
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love haiku, and I love riddles. I also love Laura Purdie Salas. So, of course, I had to check out this book.

What did I (re)discover as/after I read this book:

Riddle-ku are a fun way to introduce the young reader to the haiku!
A fun way to think and try to answer the riddles. Note that you should first read out the riddleku to your young one before they look at the illustrations (at least on the first read) so they can try to answer it without any help from the beautiful helpful illustrations.
Se
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
‘you gasp as I roar,
my mane exploding, sizzling—
lion of the sky!

Haiku meet riddles in this wonderful collection from Laura Purdie Salas. The poems celebrate the seasons and describe everything from an earthworm to a baseball to an apple to snow angels, alongside full-color illustrations.’

Lion of the Sky by Laura Purdie Salas is a charming collection of haiku centered around the seasons, accompanied by gorgeous artwork. The author calls these 'riddle-kus’ because each haiku describes a common obj
Raven Terry
Nov 20, 2018
Jennifer Muller
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I  received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

I'm not a big fan of Haiku but I decided to try this collection anyway. This was a cute collection of children's poems. Loved the illustrations, too.
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 130 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a thinker, a cupcake and brownie addict, and an adve