Start by marking “Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons” as Want to Read:

Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons

you gasp as I roar,
my mane exploding, sizzling--
lion of the sky!

Haiku meet riddles in this wonderful collection from Laura Purdie Salas. The poems celebrate the seasons and describe everything from an earthworm to a baseball to an apple to snow angels, alongside full-color illustrations.
Published April 2nd 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Lion of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion of the Sky

Start your review of Lion of the Sky: Haiku for All Seasons
Etienne
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A haiku book organized by season. The illustrations are very good and I love them, but the haikus were a bit «easy» or «light» I would say, probably not the best word, but just not deep enough for my taste even if there weren’t bad.
La Coccinelle
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one. Books of poetry for kids don't always work. But after flipping through the first few poems and pictures, I was sold.

This book is comprised of what the author calls "riddle-ku". Basically, they're haiku that describe something, only it's not explicitly spelled out. The reader then has to figure out what each haiku is referring to. I think it would be great fun for a kid to sit down and try to figure these out. Some are easier than others (but if you
Laura Harrison
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A splendid and inspired collection of seasonal poems children will love. Paired with out of this world amazing illustrations. It took me all of 5 seconds to decide to buy Lion of the Sky. It is that good.
Richard
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love children’s simple story books to push boundaries and present words and ideas in now and challenging ways. To entice and grab the young minds listening or learning to read.
Pitched for 5 - 9 age group, I would read this to a child as soon as they enjoy the book time experience.
Lion of the Sky is a collection Haiku for all seasons. Written by the clever and talented Laura Purdue Salas and wonderfully illustrated by Mercè López.
The colour palate is a delight on the eyes and combined with the
Sue Read
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I have always been a big fan of books that take us through the seasons. Their very content invites us to pick them up time and time again, ensuring their familiarity and place in our hearts as they accompany us through the school year.

I also love poetry, especially haiku, because it is achievable for children; fun and satisfyingly short. Carefully chosen words can soon sound beautiful and powerful.

'Lion in the sky' is an outstanding example of haiku poetry, given just a little twist, with illust
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Since this collection of poems is aimed at children, I rated it as such. I have to admit that I wasn't particularly intrigued by these poems, but they were good. I can imagine kids liking them for themselves, but what made me actually recommend this book to every parent with a toddler/kindergartner was that these poems are all riddles as well - they're so-called Riddle-ku-s. This makes reading this little collection more than a simple literary experience, it's a fun game this way, and it makes i ...more
Beverly
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbnf-800-poetry
The author called these "riddle-kus"--each haiku was a riddle and the reader guesses what object the haiku is describing. The book is divided into four sections, one for each season. The haiku are clever and the acrylic illustrations were lovely. Here is a sample haiku from the book:
colorful flowers--
we sprout on stems of people
bloom only in rain
There is a short bibliography and an answer key in the back. Kids should get a kick out of this book.
Linda
I've followed Laura's blog for a long time and have enjoyed her books and ideas for teaching poetry, too. Back in 2014, she wrote a poem a day for Poetry Month, I followed along and made a file of each, what she called, 'riddle-ku'. And I used them with students who loved writing their own. Now Laura has created a book of the seasons, just perfect for NOW because it starts with spring. Six riddles are included in each of the four seasons, beautifully clever new ways to see each part of our year ...more
Nedra Isenberg
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
I enjoy reading and writing haikus. If I was still teaching I’d buy this book for my classroom. My younger students would enjoyed guessing the answers and it would have been fun to have the older students write their own. The illustrations are delightful. Maybe some day if I’m blessed with grandkids I’ll buy this book then.
Viviane Elbee
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book of haikus that focus on aspects of each season, like dandelion seeds in the wind, the first day of school, fall leaves, etc...

Pretty illustrations!

Kids enjoyed this book.

It would be a good example book for kids studying haikus, and is also good for story time with a seasons theme.
Angela
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
Beautiful, brilliant, and fun. Season themed haiku riddles. A classroom library essential but also a lovely gift item for kids and adults. Definitely a National Poetry Month pick.
Definitely want to read Snowman - Cold = Puddle: Spring Equations
Becky Loader
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like riddles? Like poetry? Like stunning illustrations? This book is for you!

BrookesEducationLibrary
This is a really beautiful book that covers the seasons of the year with haiku's that are also little riddles. Entertaining for young and older readers to guess what the poems are referring to :)
Kimberly
This is a super fun book of "riddle-ku," puzzles written in haiku form accompanied by beautiful illustrations. Some are quite clever! This would be really fun to do with a classroom, as long as you obscured the illustrations until after they guessed.
Margie
Apr 11, 2019 added it
Although observations of everything about our world through poetry is welcome any month of the year, the annual celebration of National Poetry Month in April is when poets, those who enjoy poetry and those who have yet to discover poetry can come together. The use of various poetic styles is showcased. The interplay of word choices and cadence penned using those various techniques gives the appearance of pure magic.

One poet whose work I've enjoyed for years is Laura Purdie Salas. This spring rea
Mike
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2019
The art is absolutely gorgeous!
Natasha Brown
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lion of the Sky Haiku for All Seasons by Laura Purdie Salas features a beautiful collection of haikus that are easy to read and understand for its target audience.

Lion of the Sky is broken down into the four seasons, which is perfect for teachers looking to carry something throughout the school year.

"I love summer fields-

left field, right field, center field

I fly to them all!"

The above is my son's favorite haiku in the book. He loves baseball, so when he read this he immediately said "YES!"

Chi
Andreia Rosa
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents, children
Shelves: 2019, poesia
I was expecting deep poetry but then I found out it what it really was. This was my first haiku book.
It’s basically short poems that describe something, only it’s not explicitly spelled out, thus becoming riddles for the reader to figure it out.
This collection of poems/riddles celebrates the different aspects of the seasons alongside the beautiful illustrations.
Short poetry that didn’t really intrigued me, it wasn’t deep enough for my taste. But it’s a great collection to encourage little reader
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
"Lion of the Sky" creatively and poetically reflects how each of Earth's seasons (spring, summer, autumn/fall, and winter) might look, smell, sound, taste, and feel. The text and illustrations in this book are equally lovely and well suited for children ages 5-9.

I received this book from NetGalley and the book's publisher in exchange for my honest review, for which I am very grateful.
Heidi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What a FEAST of a book! The artwork was gorgeous and the riddle-kus were so lyrical. I absolutely LOVED fireworks being called Lions of the Skies!
Deborah
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
Well written and beautifully drawn riddles for the seasons.
Paul  Hankins
Just in time for National Poetry Month and for spring to turn toward summer, a presentation of the four seasons in a familiar form.

You gasp as I roar,
my mane EXPLODING, sizzling--
lion of the sky!

It's a perfect riddle in haiku form to share with local readers with Thunder Over Louisville happening today (April 13).

One of Laura Purdie Salas's new poetry collections (she is very busy this year with new releases) has landed in Room 407 and drew high engagement and rave reviews from one group of tee
Suzanne
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, poetry
New books to help introduce students to poetry are always a welcome find. This book has the added benefit of excellent artwork to enhance the presentation of the poems. A combination of haiku and mask poems, each one is a riddle told by a nonhuman narrator that the reader can guess from the clues within the lines. As if that were not enough, the poems also move through the seasons with descriptions of things experienced at each time of the year.

The acrylic illustrations capture the beauty of dan
Theediscerning
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this was a lot better than I expected. The poems do all strictly follow the haiku format, and as they're supposed to convey something about the seasons or passing of time/the year, this anthology of brand new haikus certainly fits the bill. It's a pleasant read with or without knowledge of the format's restrictions, though, as you see the world through the point of view of so many unexpected things – a dandelion clock, an early bird's worm, a sand castle – even a snow angel. What's ...more
Alana Young
This book takes readers through the seasons, describing, through haiku's, experiences or things associated with the season but not directly saying what those experiences or things are. These riddles are straight forward and the illustrations often give away the answer. This book could be used in a season unit for younger elementary school students. For younger students, during carpet time, the teacher should read out the poem and show the illustrations. The students can then use their knowledge ...more
Stephanie Bange
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun way to look at poetry - as a riddle!

Salas has written 24 playful American haiku poems (5-7-5 syllables) in a riddle format, each with a seasonal theme. The book is grouped by seasons, spring through winter. The subjects selected should be very well known to most preschool aged children; having them be a riddle will make these appeal to older readers. Charming illustrations rendered with acrylic on paper and finished digitally by Merce Lopez give visual clues - often with the solution
Jana
This awesome poetry picture book is more than just simple haiku, the author describes it as Riddle-Ku. In a note at the back of the book Salas says: "In April 2014, during National Poetry Month, I combined riddles with haiku and mask poems. The result is what I call the riddle-ku. Its three lines contain five syllables, seven syllables, and five syllables, like an American haiku. Something nonhuman narrates or speaks the poem, making it a mask poem. And the reader tries to guess what the narrato ...more
Fanna
I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley. Thank you, Laura Purdie Salas and Millbrook Press!

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

January 2019 - 30 Books On My TBR For This Month

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest
Gretchen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this book wonderful to look at the structure of haiku and its wonderful sparse word combinations, in this book the author has made each haiku a riddle. It makes you stop and think about what the object is on a sensory level so that you can translate that into a poem and have others guess what you describing. What a wonderful way to work with "show-don't-tell" in a mini-lesson for writing. The book breaks the riddles down into seasons so that it gives you a little extra hint with each ...more
Kimberlee
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
I was provided a free digital copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lion of the Sky is a really clever and beautiful collection of haiku that all feature different aspects of the seasons. Salas has done a wonderful job of making individual haiku fit into a greater, flowing, thematic story. The art is where this book shines. I read a digital arc, but I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy so I can see all the illustrations in print. They were very vivid and imag
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Scarecrow
  • M Is for Melanin: A Celebration of the Black Child
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Spencer's New Pet
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 130 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a thinker, a cupcake and brownie addict, and an adve

News & Interviews