Start by marking “Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis Under the Waves” as Want to Read:
Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis Under the Waves

Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis Under the Waves

Published January 1st 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Little Monsters of the Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Monsters of the Ocean

Start your review of Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis Under the Waves
Steff Pasciuti
Little Monsters of the Ocean by Heather L. Montgomery is a book that I would not be surprised to find in my school. I've encountered a number of very similar books in my time working there and I could definitely see how this might be a fun and informative read for students who enjoy learning about the world of the ocean. Even I, upon noticing this book, grew quite curious due to the rather odd creatures that can be found within the depths of the sea.

Little Monsters of the Ocean takes readers on
Lana
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Monsters of the Ocean is a fascinating book on a few of the animals in the sea that go through metamorphosis, like the blue crab. It’s full of amazing facts and stunning photography. I learned so many facts while reading this children’s book. For example, when a whale dies and sinks to the bottom of the ocean animals can live off that dead whale for 50 years! Wow! Here’s another fun fact, when a blue crab molts he often eats his exoskeleton for the calcium. Ew!
For children wanting to
Julia
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I chose this book I didn't have a clear mind as to what it may be about. There are plenty of "sea monsters" that are commonly suggested such as the pelican eel, various deep sea sharks, giant squids, etc. Instead this book is about "sea monsters" who are the lesser known offspring of other well known marine animals such as lobsters, jellys and sea stars to just name a few.

The book's writing is very informative but put in a nice and easy to read style for younger audiences. There are a few
Suzanne
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Bizarre creatures are floating around in our oceans - squishy, slimy spiky-headed monsters. And they're not even grown up yet!" Once young readers look at the incredible cover image and then read that statement on the back, they will be hooked. The author shares amazing details of how various forms of sea life progress through the stages of metamorphosis until they finally reach their adult forms. Some float along at the whim of the currents, some propel themselves with cilia, others hitch a ...more
Roger
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about the importance of marine invertebrate species
A book with amazing photographs of teeny-tiny creatures, makes me think about how they were taken. The main theme is to explain the metamorphosis as part of the life cycle of some marine species and their importance as part of the plankton. This complex process involves changes in form and behavior. Most of the animals that go through this transformation are invertebrates, the best known are the arthropods to which the insects belong,
Sandy Brehl
Scientist/author Heather l. Montgomery provides complex and intriguing content for older readers. The cover alone guarantees that readers will snatch this one up, and the many astonishing photo images within are fully credited in back pages.
The main text is loaded with readable informative narration, artfully balanced with gorgeous full page and inset photos that include equally fascinating and accessible captions. This layout also allows older readers with challenges to learn from much of the
Children's Literature Centre at FSU
"Gooey or grimy, spindly or spiny, monsters lurk in every ocean on Earth. They have guts to gobble venom, mucus oozing from their rear ends, and a habit of chomping on their brothers and sisters. With all that weirdness, you'd think we'd need to protect ourselves from those creatures."
With an attention-grabbing introduction like that, this book is sure to enthrall readers to learn about what unknowingly lurks in the ocean as they enjoy a summer swim. Packed full of interesting facts, diagrams,
CR
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review: This story takes the reader on a journey of the sea. I even found out some things that I didn't know to start. Our middle grade/children book reviewer Anarece found this one to be very fun and informative. She learned a lot of new things and even decided to donate this title to her school. So other kids could learn some things as well. If you think you know everything about the depths of the ocean think again!!

Even now we are discovering new things.
Rebecca Hill
Interested in sea life? You have to read this book! Full of information and cute images, you can get an in-depth look at life beneath the ocean and the many different creatures that inhabit its spaces.

Great book for kids! My boys and I loved this one! We spent a couple of hours pouring over the images and different facts given!
Sharon Pegram
Mar 27, 2019
Brenda Kahn
Conversational introduction to the many sea creatures, mostly microscopic that undergo metamorphosis and how they fit into the environment. Lots of full-color photos.
Danielle
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9 year old son and I really enjoyed reading Heather L. Montgomery's "Little Monsters of the Ocean". It was incredibly interesting to learn about the metamorphosis of so many ocean creatures. My son was especially intrigued by how vastly different many of the larvae are from their final adult form such as the Atlantic Blue Crab, and the moon jellyfish. The photography is captivating, it's phenomenal how well detailed the images are given that many are of microscopic plankton. My son and I both ...more
Teresa Grabs
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can sum up this book in one word: WOW! I would have loved it as a kid, and I love it as an adult. While it is a nonfiction book, it is definitely one that people will read for the fun of learning. Montgomery includes pictures on every page that help being the ocean and some of its creatures to life for readers who may never have the chance to go under the water. Very informative, in a non-lecturing or instructing way, that will encourage readers to keep asking questions.

Amanda Jones
Nov 17, 2019
Debby
Mar 24, 2019
Sharon Tyler
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Monsters of the Ocean: Metamorphosis under the Waves by Heather L. Montgomery is a children's nonfiction title that is currently scheduled for release on April 1 2019. Everyone knows that butterflies and frogs go through metamorphosis. But a number of sea creatures do too! Experienced science writer Heather L. Montgomery explores wacky details in the life cycles of some of the world's most bizarre and fascinating ocean animals in this fresh spin on a highly curricular topic.

Little
January Gray
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT???? A book that is GREAT for young and old alike! I never knew nor even considered what underwater creatures go through! Incredible!
Danielle
Feb 22, 2019
Jo
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Monsters of the Ocean is a good collection of the mysterious and unknown species from the deep oceans. As a scientist, the author is able to add actual facts and references that use in class. She explains the life cycle of each creature with an educational and creative way. This book can be used with children from 8 to 11 years old.
Jespionage310
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic educational book. Lots of really cool pictures and facts about sea creatures. My boys were very interested in this book. We highly recommend
Virginia McGee Butler
Amery
added it
Jun 08, 2019

• Put on Your Owl Eyes: Learn to Map, Track Animals, and Be a Nature Detective
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • A Guide to Energetic Healing: From clearing trauma/abuse to raising consciousness
  • Secrets of Aromatherapy
  • History Uncovered: Dinosaurs: An Exciting Look at the Age of Dinosaurs
  • Book Love
  • Bugs Don't Hug: Six-Legged Parents and Their Kids
  • Egypt Magnified: With a 3x Magnifying Glass
  • Colorways: Acrylic Animals: Tips, techniques, and step-by-step lessons for learning to paint whimsical artwork in vibrant acrylic
  • The School of Numbers: Learn about Mathematics with 40 Simple Lessons
  • Be Kind: You Can Make the World a Happier Place! 125 Kind Things to Say & Do
  • Making Musical Instruments with Kids: 67 Easy Projects for Adults Working with Children
  • How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps