Start by marking “Sincerely, Harriet” as Want to Read:
Sincerely, Harriet

Sincerely, Harriet

Harriet Flores struggles with boredom and an unrequited crush while learning to manage her chronic illness through a long, hot, 1990s summer in Chicago. She uses her imagination to cope, which sometimes gets her into trouble, as she makes up fantastical fibs and wonders if there are ghosts upstairs. One neighbor, Pearl, encourages Harriet to read and write, leading Harriet ...more
Published January 1st 2019 by Graphic Universe (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Sincerely, Harriet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sincerely, Harriet

Fafa's Book Corner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badass-broads
Mini review:

Trigger warning: None that I can think off. If any come to mind please leave it in the comments.

This was read for The Dream Thieves: Badass Broads.

I received this E-ARC via Lerner Publishing Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Sincerely Harriet was recommended to me on Netgalley based on my previous requests. I didn't know much about it. It looked nice so I requested it. I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sincerely Harriet addresses MS and polio while tak
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

Sincerely, Harriet follows Harriet, a young Latinx girl who has found herself bored and lonely after moving to a new place. Not only does she not know anyone in her new town, but her parents both have to work overtime or multiple jobs, and her friends from summer camp aren't even taking the time to write her back.

We quickly learn that her loneliness has caused her to become this habitual liar with a poor attitude, so she isn't the most likable protagonist, but there's definitely some gr
Emma
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review.

Sincerely, Harriet is the sweet story of a girl who moves to Chicago with her family. I loved how curious and creative Harriet was. The representation in this book was great, Harriet has MS and I think it was well portrayed in the story. I also appreciated the teenage struggles the author decided to include in the book, like for example Harriet having difficulties making friends.
Pearl
Dana Cristiana
I'd love to thank NetGalley and Graphic Universe for this book.

This book was cute, but I hardly understood at first what was going on. The plot wasn't clear. It skipped at times, and when Harriet went to the doctor, the dialogue bubbles were empty, and I didn't knew what she had.
In the end, the author explained some things and then I really understood.

I didn't really liked Harriet. She was so grumpy at times (most of the times, actually). But I know that I sometimes had the same moody attitude a
Helly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 2nd read of 2019 was this short and simple graphic novel which I immediately fell in love with. A strange protagonist, Harriet has been writing letters to her friends and the camp and wonders why they haven't replied. Her mind is full of strange ideas, of the house being haunted and the lady downstairs being a murderer. When she befriends Pearl (the old lady she presumed to be a murderer) her life begins achieving some clarity, she begins finding happiness in her isolation - and the book ends ...more
La Coccinelle
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
If this book had actually been about what the synopsis said it was about, I might've liked it more. Unfortunately, the chronic illness angle was overshadowed by the rather glaring personality disorder of the main character that was never addressed.

To begin with, I'm confused as to why the author chose to use such an obscure disease for her protagonist. So that we could have something dramatic like a brain biopsy? I don't know. The average person in the US has a 0.1% chance of developing MS. Only
Alexa
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Harriet just moved to a new place with her parents, and she doesn’t have any friends yet. Her parents work a lot, so she spends most of her time at home trying to amuse herself, or talking to her old neighbour downstairs, Pearl. She makes up stories and pretends that she has more friends than she does. She wonders if the floor upstairs is haunted by a ghost, and writes letters to it just in case it exists. Also, she has multipl
Jen Solak
The idea behind this graphic novel, to highlight life as a teen with a chronic illness, is a noble one. However, the format is odd, the main character doesn’t get to explain her feelings enough, and the cliches are heavy. Furthermore, the books given to the main character to read each hint at what she might be going through, but she never reads most of them and as the graphic novel is written for teens if they haven’t read these classics they won’t understand the connections. If the characters w ...more
Hristina
Sincerely, Harriet is a heartwarming graphic novel about a girl suffering from a chronic illness, and the boredom she experiences as she's stuck in the apartment all summer.
I enjoyed the story a great deal. Harriet is a compelling protagonist, acting as normally as she can at her age, and the situations she gets herself into seem familiarly realistic. The story is presented well, with an art style and color scheme that beautifully captures both the melancholy of a bored teen, and the time period
Kiera
**I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**
Sincerely, Harriet was a book that was recommended to me based off of my previous reviews.
I love the pictures they are beautifully drawn. I really enjoyed the story and loved how it ended. I like how this book is about a girl suffering from MS but it isn't depressing or sad but it's about how she's living with it.
I like how it talked about friendship since Harriet had just moved, which is something a lot of kids could relate
vostendrasamigos yotengolibros
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really enjoy the book, it's very sensitive, I don't know why some people found it incomplete or it could connect, I cried a lot with the book, it's really nice.
michelle
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for providing me with a digital ARC in return for an honest review.

Sincerely, Harriet is the story of a young girl in the 1990s who has just moved to Chicago in the heat of the summer, but is stuck at home while her parents work not knowing anyone. She is incredibly lonely and the two friends she is writing from her summer camp are not responding to any of her postcards. She also has an active imagination creating stories for the world around he
Harker
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moving away from home and starting a new school are big enough events, but Harriet also has something else to contend with: a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Dealing with her chronic illness, a scorching hot summer in Chicago, and longing for her friends from summer camp, there's a lot to discover for the titular character of Sincerely, Harriet.

Harriet's summer has been trying, what with moving to a new state, figuring out her feelings regarding her M.S. diagnosis and the symptoms, plus being m
Fanna
Sincerely, Harriet is a story about a young teenage girl who is diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and recently shifts to a new city so her parents can get help from better doctors. The primary plot focuses on the loneliness that Harriet deals with as she leaves behind her friends (who don’t reply to her postcards) and due to her parents usually working overtime.

The instant pull for me was definitely the art--it has a different style from the mainstream comic artworks and the color scene re
Nik
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, yet thought provoking story of a young girl struggling between school, chronic illness, and making friends in a new city. The portrayal of MS came across positively, at least in the eyes of someone who doesn't suffer from it, and I loved the friendship between Harriet and Pearl, the old lady who lives downstairs. This was a very important, touching story.

Thank you, NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of this story to review
Melanie Gillman
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read with lovely illustrations!
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Harriet is a girl who move to Chicago with her family. Harriet has MS. I liked how the author included teenage struggles like making friends and people not liking the same things as her. I liked how Harriet is creative. I liked Pearl and her relationship with Harriet.

I gave this a three out of five stars. I enjoyed this but the plot didn't offer a lot but I think a younger audience might enjoy it more than I
Crimson
I received an e-copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I ended up downloading this title because I really liked the softness of the cover and the style of the character. I didn’t really look at what the book would be about so I was really confused once I started reading. I wasn’t really sure why Harriet was so suspicious of the people around her (and her surroundings), why she kept slipping (I figured it was important once her father asked if she was being clumsy), and what the purpo
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sincerely, Harriet is the sort of book I would have loved to read as a teen. The story follows Harriet Flores, a thirteen year old white Latinx girl who begins the book by writing postcards to her friends at camp. She isn't at camp, for reasons that become clear as the story progresses. Instead, she's essentially trapped in the two-family home her family shares with an older Black woman, who lives on the first floor. Harriet's journey is subtle but nuanced, and I adored this book. (Even though i ...more
This is one of those slow burn sort of graphic novels, where you don't know why the main character is behaving the way she is.

We only know that she keeps trying to read classics that don't speak to her, that her parents have had to leave her alone at home, while the¥ work, and that the only person she has to talk to is her landlord/downstairs neighbor, an elderly black woman Pearl.

Pearl tries to find her books that she can relate to, as she certainly doesn't relate to The Great Gatsby. She is l
Merel
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a digital copy of this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review

A middle grade graphic novel that looks into the life of a young girl who has recently moved, is often alone as her parents have very demanding jobs, has a very big imagination that doesn't always make her see things positively and is coping with MS at the same time.
What I find very good about this novel, is that it shows (young and older) readers that not everything can be seen from the outside and that sometim
Des
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Moving to the new place is not always so easy especially when one has to deal with new environment, make new friends at school and the loneliness one may feel. Harriet also feels those things especially when she has to deal with her chronic illness: a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, longing for the friends she met in the summer camp, and plenty of things.

Those conditions later led her to be a pathological liar. She made up stories about the mailman, the neighbours downstairs and the haunted pl
Alicia
I wanted more! I think the graphic novel was too short and painted a bit of a shallow picture of Harriet-- so I wanted to know a little more about her, her family, the neighbor!

Harriet has just moved to another city, Chicago in the summer where it's hot and lonely because she doesn't know anyone and thinks she made friends a camp beforehand, but apparently not. So, her summer is spent befriending an elderly former-librarian neighbor who has a son who had polio while Harriet, we find out has mul
Radwa
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, e-books, netgalley
I wish this was a bit longer!
It's a story of a chronically ill child who has difficulty making friends and how she overcomes that. I think this story is really important for kids with invisible chronic diseases, for them to relate to a character like this and see themselves represented. This struck a cord with me, because I lost a friend this year to a similar disease, and it made remember the pain he had to endure by himself. I recommend for readers of all ages.
I thank netgalley for the book!
Leah Rose Kessler
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm disappointed to find myself only able to give this book two stars. I was very excited to read it because there are not many books for kids out there dealing with the subject of living with an "invisible illness" (In this case MS) and because I love graphic novels and the nuanced storytelling that can happen with the combination of text and images.

Sadly, I didn't feel this story had any nuance at all. It wasn't just a book featuring a character with an illness, that was the entire plot, as f
Shelby
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and was able to get through it quickly. I really liked the idea of having a character with an illness, especially since you didn't address it right at the beginning. I think MS should've been explained a little bit more for the audience, but other than that it overall was really well done!
Children's Literature Centre at FSU
This graphic novel was an easy read about a girl who has a chronic illness. She doesn't have many friends and she can't go to summer camp this year. She wants to make friends, but she finds friendship in her neighbor downstairs. Her parents are busy working and trying to take care of her, but she doesn't want her illness to hold them back from schooling or work.
This is a book for an older elementary and middle school grades. A fantastic read, though.
Simant ♥ Flipping Through the Pages
Full review on: Flipping Through the Pages

I had some high expectations from Sincerely, Harriet considering the synopsis. But unfortunately, the actual book is quite different from what the synopsis talks about. The chronic illness angle was overshadowed by the personality disorder of the main character and that too was never addressed properly.

Sincerely, Harriet is the story of Harriet, a young Latinx girl who has recently shifted to a new city and found herself bored and lonely there. She does
Whitley Abell
I received this E-ARC via Lerner Publishing Group and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I’ve seen so many great reviews for this graphic novel, but honestly, I was rather underwhelmed and found myself at the end wondering if I’d only read a partial manuscript (I hadn’t). I appreciated the author’s intent to honor the librarians who impacted her life, but the amount of page space given to discussing classic book recommendations left the already clunky plot lines with no room to breathe.
Becky B
Harriet, who goes by Harry, is having a miserable summer. Her family just moved. Her parents are both working all day, and she has nothing to do but catch up on the dry summer reading for her new school. She’s very lonely, and she’s not being completely honest with herself. The only person who is around is the older lady downstairs, Pearl. At first, Harriet just thinks Pearl is weird but Pearl is patient and stories about her kids and the books the elderly lady shares with Harry may be just the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sarah hails from spooky New England but has since moved to sunny Perth, Australia. She writes and draws comics inspired by history, feelings, and intimacy of all sorts.