Start by marking “When All Is Said” as Want to Read:
When All Is Said

When All Is Said

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  19,605 ratings  ·  2,573 reviews

A tale of a single night. The story of a lifetime.

If you had to pick five people to sum up your life, who would they be? If you were to raise a glass to each of them, what would you say? And what would you learn about yourself, when all is said and done?

This is the story of Maurice Hannigan, who, over the course of a Saturday night in June, orders five different drinks

Published March 5th 2019 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about When All Is Said, please sign up.
St. Martin's Press Hi Victoria,

We would be happy to look into this.

Please check your messages.

- SMP Marketing
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nancy The Irene refers to a well known song to dance to "Good Night, Irene."

The Irene refers to a well known song to dance to "Good Night, Irene."

I think he was suffering from loneliness not dementia. Like any 84 year old he had memory issues but I didn't get the feeling that it was severe.
(less)

·  19,605 ratings  ·  2,573 reviews

Start your review of When All Is Said
Emily May
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, modern-lit, 2019
"I'm here to remember - all that I have been and all that I will never be again."

When All Is Said tells the life story of Maurice Hannigan. Now an elderly man, he sits alone in the bar of the Rainford House Hotel. Over the course of one evening, he raises toasts to five different people as he recounts the story of his life up until that moment. Like all lives, Maurice's has moments of pure happiness, moments of darkness and misery, mistakes made and things left unsaid. I think perhaps the
Angela M
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are 5 star books and then there are five star books with a story that make me wish I could give more stars. This is one of them. There are debut novels and then there are debut novels which after Ive finished reading, have me thinking, wow what a debut and hoping that the author is working on her next book. This is one of them.

I dont drink much beer, let alone one not from the fridge and certainly not stout. I dont like whiskey at all, but I wanted to be sitting at this bar in Ireland,
Paromjit
This is an exceptional, undeniably Irish, debut from Anne Griffin, the prose is effortlessly engaging and it is simultaneously heartbreaking and life affirming as we get intimately acquainted with the life and times of 84 year old Maurice Hannigan. Hannigan has packed up his life, leaving no loose threads prior to booking the most exclusive suite at the Rainsford House Hotel. Early on, we cotton on to how the night will end, but before that, Maurice settles in for an evening at the hotel bar to ...more
Meredith
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A subtly beautiful story that celebrates life, loss, and, most significantly, love.

Im here to remember -- all that I have been and all that I will never be again.

One night in Meath, Ireland at a hotel 84-year-old Maurice Hannigan makes five toasts to five people. In doing so, he recounts those who have shaped his life in the most important ways. His tribute to these five individuals reveals his accomplishments, regrets, and unwavering love for his friends, family, and his wife, Sadie.

This is a
Katie B
This is a perfect example of a book I didn't want to end. I just fell in love with the main character to the point that by the end of the story I felt like he was an old friend. Maybe this book isn't going to be special for everyone, but I found it to be incredibly touching and brilliant.

84-year-old Maurice Hannigan takes a seat at a hotel bar in a small Irish town. Before the night is over, he will toast 5 people who made an impact in his life.

The thing I kept thinking about while reading is
Diane S ☔
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unforgettable first novel. A quissessentially Irish novel, filled with melancholy and angst, with some great storytelling. Maurice is 84, his beloved wife Sadie gone now for two years. His only child, a son lives in America with his family. He now sits at a bar in a restaurant, intending to toast the five individuals who had the greatest impact on his life. He has reserved the VIP suite for the night. The bar where he sits, the hotel he is in, had once been the house of the wealthiest family ...more
Dem
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Delighted to see this novel nominated in the 11th Annual Goodreadss choice awards as When All Is Said is a terrific debut novel that really deserves all the attention its getting. I am lucky to be attending A reading by Anne Griffin today and am looking forward to meeting this wonderful author.

This is my second reading of this novel in a few months as it was chosen as our April sit in book club read and what a lovely re-read this book was. I started out listening to this one on Audio but the
Christine
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Diane review 5
4.5 rounded to 5 stars

Gosh, I must have been under a rock for years ignorant of the high quality Irish fiction that I am gradually discovering. Maeve Binchy, Patricia Gibney, Tana French, John Boyne, and now newcomer Anne Griffin are some of the wonderful Irish authors I have been delighted to come across since joining Goodreads five years ago.

This book is shockingly a debut as a honey of a gem it is! It features Maurice, an 84-year-old Irish farmer, who has lost nearly everything and everyone
jessica
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
there was a love, but of the irish kind, reserved and embarrassed by its own humanity.

this tenderly told and humbly crafted story has me falling in love with the irish culture and people all over again.

this is a story of love and loss, of beginnings and endings, of happiness and grief, of remembering and forgetting. it is a story of life and how beautifully painful it can be.

my heart is so full.

Karen
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am becoming a huge fan of Irish stories and authors!

I loved 84 year old Maurice, who has lost his beloved wife 2 yrs ago, and isnt doing well without her.
He plans a memorable night at a hotel bar that holds a personal history...and through the course of the night makes narrative toasts with a fine whiskey to five people, this followed by a stay in the honeymoon suite at the same hotel.
At each toast during this night, we find out the history of Maurice and the significance of each of these five
Carol
What a grand Irish tale and well done debut! I truly wanted to start at the beginning and read it again!

Encouraged....Supported....and I'm guessing Inspired by John Boyne, Anne Griffin has given me my first SUPER FAVORITE of 2019.

Let's start with.....the home, nursing home, that is...."What poor widow or widower living alone out there hasn't dreaded its arrival."

Next.....meet Mr. Maurice Hannigan nicknamed 'Big Man' by his beloved older brother, and get ready to travel through his tumultuous

marilyn
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Eighty four year old Maurice Hannigan is ready to say goodbye. All his affairs are in order, property sold, dog given to new owners, money in various accounts for various people, things given away, boxes packed with names of who gets the contents, everything done and sorted so he can enter a nursing home the next day. At least that is where he tells those in the know, that he is going.

There are five people whose memories he want to toast first though. One of the most poignant is the toast to
Beata
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read several emotional reviews of When All Is Said, and now I can say that 'Yes, you were all right.' A most moving tale by an elderly man who recalls precious moments of his life. The first person narration sounds like nothing extraordinary, however, oh boy, Maurice knows how to tell a story. The more time we spend with him at the bar, having five drinks, the more is masterfully unravelled. A powerful novel that did not leave me indifferent.
Jen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old man walks into a bar and sits down for the last time. Hes come to toast 5 people who have had the most impact on his life.
Tony, his beloved uncle, always supportive and giving him courage.
Molly, the ghost of a daughter, who becomes his voice and conscience* for what is right and wrong.
Doreen the beloved sister in law whose acceptance won him a place with his in-laws.
Kevin, the journalist and son, who he was very proud of but couldnt express it.
And Sadie, the love of his life.
A
Larry H
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up.

Imagine you're on travel by yourself and you decide to spend an evening at a local pub. You're seated at the bar and one of the bar's patrons starts speakingpartially to you and partially to himself.

With nothing else to do, you listen to the man tell his stories. At first you're not sure what to make of it all, but little by little, you find yourself fairly engrossed in what he has to say. Sometimes his conversation is entertaining, sometimes it meanders a little too much,
Elyse  Walters
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five toasts, five people, five memories.

Maurice Hannigan is 84 years old... sitting in the bar of the Rainsford Hotel in Ireland on a Saturday night in June. The hotel is part of Maurices history and his memories.
He planned his Saturday night.....had a clear purpose.....
a toast to his brother, daughter, son, sister-in-law, and wife ( who died two years ago).

I love the idea and significance of this book.
Maurice may have picked only 5 people to toast who have shaped his life but he also
Charlotte May
All of the feels 😭😭

Well, this book came for my heart and honestly I was not expecting it!

Maurice Hannigan has lived a long life, he now sits in the bar of the only hotel in town to raise 5 toasts to 5 people who have impacted his life in some way.
I expected this to be slightly reminiscent of The Five People You Meet in Heaven but it had its differences and honestly I'm glad. I love The Five People You Meet in
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I loved everything about Maurices story, and reading it was a personally resonant experience. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Before I even knew exactly what I was reading, who Maurice was, and what type of story he was telling me, he felt familiar. I connected instantly to him on a deeply resonant level, and that made the book for me.

I had to read When All Is Said in bits and chunks because it felt so personal. I thought of my grandparents and how they must have reflected on their lives. I thought of my late
Brandice
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When All Is Said is the story of 84 year old Maurice, who, one night in a hotel bar, makes a toast to five people who had an immeasurable impact on his life. The five people include: his brother, his sister-in-law, his daughter, his son, and his wife.

Maurice is stubborn man, though he is aware of his behavior and often acknowledges it. He has some regrets and is apologetic about them. In addition, he has endured his fair share of tragedy. As the story progresses, it becomes clear Maurice loves
Candi
"Im here to remember all that I have been and all that I will ever be again."

Theres something about reading an Irish novel that always feels a bit sad to me. Irish novelists really understand love and loss, or perhaps they are just super skillful about expressing it in words. Another thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of books out there right now that seem to focus on the condition of loneliness. It seems to be quite pervasive in the current world of disconnection with other
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-read-list
One Saturday night on June, 2014, a 84 year old charming Irish man named Maurice Hannigan takes his spot in the bar and starting from 6 pm to midnight, he meets with five different people who means a lot to him to express his feelings to them how they changed him and his life and how he truly loves them.

As a grumpy, reserved old man who has his quirks, absurd antics reminded me of Frederick Bachmans Ove and my own father (thats why a several times I had some cry breaks because I felt like he
Esil
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First 5 star novel of 2019!

Anne Griffin is amazingly talented. She had me sitting in the bar with Maurice, listening to him make a toast at 84 years old to each of his five favourite people. Maurice had me laughing, crying, getting angry including at him more than a few times and shaking my head. Maurice grew up in a village near Dublin, and he never left. But he managed to get out of the poverty of his childhood, marry Sadie, have his son Kevin, and amass more than a few grudges and regrets.
Phrynne
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
First I saw that John Boyne recommended this book and then I saw five star reviews from several Goodreads members whose opinions I respect so of course I had to read it. And what a beautiful book it turned out to be!

I guess I am a total sucker for books about charming Irish men and 84 year old Maurice Hannigan is certainly charming. The whole book takes place between 6.25 pm and midnight on Saturday 7th June 2014, the second anniversary of the death of Maurice's much loved wife Sadie. He drinks
Debbie
3.5 stars in my sky

Here we go again. While everyone else is sparkly happy because theyre seeing a zillion stars, Im sort of grumpy, because all I can see in my sky are 3 stars, no matter how much I squint. Well, three-and-a-half stars, if Im being fair. Sigh. Funny, the blurb and the glowing reviews are so good, they almost convince me that I loved the book. But then I get realit wasnt a wow for me, it just wasnt.

This is the story of an old man named Maurice, who, while sitting on a barstool,
Felicia
3.5 Stars 🌟

I'll begin this review by explaining why I chose this book in the first place. To put it simply, the author is Irish. I have become an avid fan of the modern Irish authors of late, John Boyne (who endorsed this book), Liz Nugent and Tana French just to name a few, and this debut by Anne Griffin definitely shows promise. I don't know what they are putting in the stout over there but it's working.

This story involves a night at a bar with 80+ year old Maurice as he makes a toast to the
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

A room is a still a room, even when there's nothin' there but gloom
But a room is not a house and a house is not a home
When the two of us are far apart
And one of us has a broken heart

--A House is Not a Home, Luther Vandross, Songwriters: Burt Bacharach / Hal David

Maurice Hannigan has lived eighty-four years as this story begins, sitting at the bar of the Rainsford House Hotel, Co. Meath, Ireland. Hes there to raise a toast to five people, all members of his family, in this
Louise Wilson
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the bar in a grand hotel in a small Irish town sits 84 year old Maurice Hannigan. He's alone as usual. So pull up a chair and charge your glass, because Maurice is finally ready to tell his story. He will raise 5 toasts to the five people who have meant the most to him. Stories of joy, regret, a secret tragedy kept hidden and a fierce love that never found its voice.

What a heartwarming but also a heartbreaking story this is. A beautifully written story. An old man sits at the bar and toast
Zoeytron
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
This quiet novel almost had a Kent Haruf feel to it, but told with an Irish lilt in the written words.  The ones we have loved and lost stay with us for a lifetime.  They live on in our memories and in the memories of others who knew them. An old man reflects upon his life.  Sad and touching without being cloying.
Rachel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish, netgalley, 2019
Oh man, this is a tough one. It is not often the case that I look at glowing reviews and think 'did we read the same book?!' but here we are... I was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was going to love this, too! When All Is Said is a contemporary Irish novel about an old man named Maurice who's looking back at his life and giving a toast to the five people who had the greatest influence on him, most of whom are already dead. So it's a premise that promises nostalgia and regret and ...more
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher St. Martin's Press / Thomas Dunne Books who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.

This was a moving and very quick read about a widower of two years who desperately misses his wife Sadie. The story takes place in Dublin, Ireland. Maurice Hannigan is 84 years old. As he sits at the bar of a local hotel nursing one of many whiskeys, he's toasting, reminiscing, and sometimes making amends with important people in his life. It's as if he's narrating his whole life
The Nomad Pad: Fiction - "When All Is Said" Anne Griffin 1 12 Dec 29, 2019 07:09AM
Play Book Tag: When all is Said, by Anne Griffin, 5 stars +❤❤❤ 4 27 Aug 15, 2019 04:14PM

• Ask Again, Yes
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • This Tender Land
  • Mrs. Everything
  • City of Girls
Anne Griffin is an Irish novelist. She was educated at University College Dublin where she received her MA in Creative Writing

Anne was awarded the John McGahern Award for Literature, recognising previous and current works. Amongst others, she has been shortlisted for the Hennessy New Irish Writing Award and the Sunday Business Post Short Story Award.

Anne's debut novel When All Is Said will be

Articles featuring this book

This year is proving to be an amazing time to discover debut authors. Across genres, readers have found and championed work by talent...
“No one, no one really knows loss until it’s someone you love. The deep-down kind of love that holds on to your bones and digs itself right in under your fingernails, as hard to budge as the years of compacted earth. And when it’s gone … it’s as if it’s been ripped from you. Raw and exposed, you stand dripping blood all over the good feckin’ carpet. Half-human, half-dead, one foot already in the grave.” 14 likes
“I only ever wanted to belong to one person and she wasn’t in that room. And in my heart I knew that even if I was a man comfortable with all the small talk it would take to break into that new life, I didn’t want it. I simply did not want it.” 7 likes