Start by marking “Yasmin in Charge” as Want to Read:
Yasmin in Charge

Yasmin in Charge

(Yasmin #5-8)

In this collection of four stories, Yasmin takes charge of some sticky situations! At home, at school, or out and about, Yasmin faces challenges head on with creativity and quick thinking. Whether she's creating a new recipe, finding a way to rescue a stuck toy for a little friend, or calming down monkeys (and classmates!), a clever solution to any problem is just around t ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Yasmin in Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yasmin in Charge

Start your review of Yasmin in Charge
DaNae
Another great addition. An irrepressible child.
Umm Afraz
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This combined book has four stories, wherein Yasmin manages tricky situations tactfully:
1. In Yasmin the Teacher, she moderates her noisy class in her teacher’s absence.
2. In Yasmin the Chef, an inspiration from a trinket makes her prepare a wholesome snack.
3. In Yasmin the Zookeeper, she turns a mishap into an opportunity for a gesture of love and care.
4. In Yasmin the Superhero, she learns not all heroes need a villian.

What a vibrant character and colourful illustrations! Yasmin reminds me of
Shaye Miller
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Like other Yasmin books, this 91-paged story follows Yasmin on a few different adventures where her quick thinking saves the day. This time Yasmin is a teacher, then she’s a chef, then a zookeeper, and finally, a superhero. These books provide pages with a large font, many colorful illustrations scattered throughout the text, and very short chapters — perfect for beginning readers who aren’t yet ready for novels or novellas.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literat
Bonnie Grover
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you #BookPosse for the ARC. I have enjoyed reading these early chapter books and I’m sure kids are going to be able to see themselves in the diverse characters. As an intermediate teacher I would use these books to build background knowledge. This one contains Urdu vocabulary. They are engaging and informative. Yasmin is involved in 4 different adventures and has to get herself out of some sticky situations. She is a creative problem-solver and I liked that. I am looking forward to reading ...more
Pam
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lower-elem
Yasmin has four different adventures in this book. She solves problems and helps others.
Information text on Urdu words included at the end.
Other informative text about Pakistan and discussion topics also included.
Nicole
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet collection of stories!! Enjoyed meeting Yasmin and her family. Love how the book incorporates authentic Pakistani culture including foods, clothing, and the Urdu language. Great way for kids to celebrate who they are and learn about others!
Christy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable book for strong, young readers. We really enjoyed it!
Cindy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as darling as the first Yasmin collection. My five year old is getting this one for her birthday next week and she's going to freak out!!! ...more
Maleeha Siddiqui
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable. I like this second bindup even more than the first.
Robin
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of four stories: Yasmin the Teacher, Yasmin the Chef, Yasmin the Zookeeper, and (my personal favorite) Yasmin the Superhero. Grab a lassi and read!
H
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Move over Dick and Jane and Thing 1 and Thing 2, Yasmin Is In Charge! This series of books brings some long-needed diversity to children's easy readers. Well done! ...more
Sobia
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book for the youngsters composed of 4 short stories. Again at the, Faruqi has great discussion questions pertaining to each story that can be used at home or at school. She also has a list of Urdu words used in each story translated, simple fun facts about Pakistan, and an easy project on how to make a paper bag super hero. A great learning tool for the classrooms on diversity, manners, and just being a typical kid.

'the Teacher' - Yasmin must keep her class under control when the t
Ettak
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Early chapter book featuring Yasmin, a sweet, thoughtful and sassy second grader.
There are 4 stories in the collection, with each story having just 3 chapters. Yasmin has a particular problem in each story and it is resolved in a positive way by the end of chapter 3.
Lots of colorful illustrations to go along with the text. Perfect for a beginning chapter book reader.
Yasmin in Charge continues with more stories about Yasmin who was introduced in Meet Yasmin! by Saadia Faruqi. In this collection,
Margaret Boling
4/18/2021 ~ Capstone seems to be releasing the Yasmin books in two formats. They can be purchased as Early Readers, with just one story per volume (at about 30 pages long) OR as an early chapter book, with 4 stories per volume. This is one of the latter. Yasmin is the "teacher" while her teacher steps into the hall to talk to the principal. In the last story, she becomes a super hero, helping neighbors. In my least favorite, her classmates feed parts of their lunches to zoo animals.

Yasmin is pi
Ellon
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I liked these stories better than the ones in Meet Yasmin.(the zoo one keeps me from giving this a five star rating)
I did review them individually. Like with Meet Yasmin, there is a discussion guide in the back along with an Urdu guide, Pakistan facts and a craft idea. I’m a little sad that this book’s back matter didn’t include a recipe like Meet Yasmin did, especially considering the chef story that is included in this collection. (This is another reason I didn’t give it 5 stars). St
Jessica
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I can't think of any early chapter books featuring Pakistani or Muslim characters, and our family doesn't know any Pakistani-American or Muslim people, so I am really thankful for this book series, for normalizing both experiences. Yasmin is a regular girl who is part of a multigenerational Pakistani American family. While I was reading the Urdu glossary at the back, I stopped to describe the hijab, which Yasmin's mother puts on when she leaves the house. I explained to my six year old that hija ...more
Barbara
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
When her teacher steps out of the classroom, Yasmin is put in charge of the class. The students start to get out of control and quick-thinking Yasmin has to come up with a solution to this problem, pronto! Brightly colored illustrations add meaning to each page of the early chapter book Yasmin in Charge, by author Saadia Faruqi and illustrator Hatem Aly. Kids age 6 - 8 will enjoy reading about intrepid Yasmin.
Michele
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary
There might not be enough words to tell you how much I love Yasmin! Her try again attitude, the look into her Pakistani culture, her family life. Warm fuzzies all over! Thank you @saadiafaruqi for this gem!
Heidi
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
A cute series following a spunky main character who goes on four different adventures. Pakistani culture is woven into each story seamlessly and Yasmin is a likeable, relatable character. I definitely want to read more in this series.
Liberty Reads
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse-reads
A fun series of short tales about a plucky girl names Yasmin. It is a great way to talk about Pakistani culture in a way for kids to connect to and shows beautifully that kids are awesome, no matter their culture.

Highly recommended for beginning readers 7-11 years old.
Chrissy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent stepping stone chapter book between easy readers and longer chapters. Good job showing diversity without focusing on differences more than similarities.
N
Another wonderful collection of Yasmin stories. My kids love them!
Timothy
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect little kids book or first independent reader. Brilliantly written and brilliant message.
Using problem-solving skills and kindness, Yasmin meets challenges of four different jobs in these four short chapter books.

Includes: teacher, chef, zookeeper, superhero or everyday hero.
Kathy
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming. Plus I got to learn some new Urdu words.
Eleanor
Read for children's lit class ...more
Jenn
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Love Yasmin so much!
Jillianne Larson
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect collection of stories for new readers. Plenty of opportunity for discussion like zoo animals, what courage means, personal heroes, and family recipes. The illustrations were great too!
Naia Lyn
May 02, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: naia-owns, csm5
This book includes Yasmin the Chef, Yasmin the Teacher, Yasmin the Superhero, Yasmin the Zookeeper

• Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle (The Princess in Black, #7)
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Skunk and Badger (Skunk and Badger, #1)
  • Monsters and Mold (Zoey and Sassafras, #2)
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Eva in the Spotlight: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #13)
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • Ways to Make Sunshine (Ryan Hart, #1)
  • Bips and Roses (Zoey and Sassafras, #8)
  • Accidental Trouble Magnet (Planet Omar, #1)
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Sadiq and the Desert Star
  • Eva's Big Sleepover: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #9)
  • Trip to the Pumpkin Farm: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #11) (Library Edition)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
Saadia Faruqi is a Pakistani American author, essayist and interfaith activist. She writes the children’s early reader series “Yasmin” published by Capstone and other books for children, including middle grade novels “A Place At The Table” (HMH/Clarion 2020) co-written with Laura Shovan, and “A Thousand Questions” (Harper Collins 2020). She has also written “Brick Walls: Tales of Hope & Courage fr ...more

Yasmin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Yasmin the Builder