Start by marking “Ann Fights for Freedom: An Underground Railroad Survival Story” as Want to Read:
Ann Fights for Freedom: An Underground Railroad Survival Story

Ann Fights for Freedom: An Underground Railroad Survival Story

(Girls Survive)

Twelve-year-old Ann understands there is only one thing to be grateful for as a slave: having her family together. But when the master falls into debt, he plans to sell both Ann and her younger brother to two different owners. Ann is convinced her family must run away on the Underground Railroad. Will Ann's family survive the dangerous trip to their freedom in the North ? ...more
Published February 1st 2019 by Stone Arch Books

Start your review of Ann Fights for Freedom: An Underground Railroad Survival Story
Susanne Aspley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Reviewed for Multicultural Children's Book Day)
Ann Fights for Freedom is part historical fiction, part adventure story. According to Smith in the back of the book, “When I wrote this story… I wanted to tell a realistic and accurate story, yet still write a book that children could enjoy. I also wanted to show many different kinds of people working together to lead enslaved people to freedom and to fight for equality.”
Multicultural books such as this is an important way to help students to gain
Daniel Hojan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: Ann Fights for Freedom
Author: Nikki Shannon Smith

Reading Level: 4
Book Level: 4

Summary: Ann is a slave girl growing up on a plantation, with the only remotely positive aspect of her life being her connection to family. Unfortunately, after her master needs to find some money, he decides to sell Ann and her brother to two different owners. Ann knows that this means that it is time for her and her family to escape and travel north to freedom.

Genre: Historical Fiction

Mentor Writing Trait:
Ide
Benjamin Ellefson
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Growing up in the south before the Civil War as a slave is an unbearable life. But luckily, Ann is at least able to still live with both her mother, father, brother, and baby sisters. That all changes when they discover their master is planning on selling Ann and her little brother. So they decide to flee into the Underground Railroad in order to keep their family together.

Ann Fights for Freedom is a heart wrenching, exciting story that delves into an key part of American History. It's a must re
Jessica F
A suspenseful historical story of persistence for young readers! LOVE the illustrations. Like the additional facts and suggested activities in the back matter, too. This whole book is really well done. Nikki Shannon Smith gives an authentic but still age-appropriate and accessible portrayal of slavery for young readers.

When Ann finds out her family is about to be torn apart, she convinces her parents to run away, even though they don't have a conductor and no one can tell them where the first st
Jennybeast
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A solid, well told story for early chapter book readers. Ann's a strong character, with a variety of complex emotions throughout the book, and I think the author does an excellent job telling the story from her point of view. Lets kids her age understand the time period (pre-Civil War) and the subject matter (slavery, the Underground Railroad) without getting bogged down in a larger overview. The images are a bit cartoony, but that I think that adds to the kid-appeal. Great read, #ownvoices ...more
Angelica Jackson
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Angelica by: Local indie bookstore
Shelves: owned-books
I've read both of the Girls Survive books by Nikki Shannon Smith and loved both titles. This is a great historical series for girls and boys to read, featuring girls who use their wits in perilous situations. Even if they're scared, even if they feel alone, even if they don't always get things right the first time. I would have devoured these when I was a girl, and younger me had great taste in books too! ...more
Beth
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this Girls Survive series, will definitely read more of them. Main character is 12 year old girl who is brave, determined and a true leader. Lots of situational tension, just the right amount to walk the line between scary and exciting for the tween crowd. Amazing job of bringing this bit of history alive for this age group.
Shannon
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All three kids were engrossed in this book during our bedtime read aloud. They were surprised to learn that Pennsylvania was the dividing line for freedom. Realistic, factual, and, “A great ending!” according to my 7 year old daughter.
Sandybear76
Ann and her family finds out that the master of the plantation is short money and will be selling Ann and her little brother soon. The family decides that they have to runaway and head north at night.
Kaitlyn Ballenger
This was a really great book, I love the character Ann. She's really brave in her fight to get her family safely to freedom!! ...more
Cali Lorden
hgfluyg
Amelia
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
when i was reading this book i kept looking at the cover. i liked how anne took charge and i just loved this book.
Denise
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girls Survive series is perfect for young readers who want to read about history in a diary format. These books remind me of the Dear America series and offer a nice alternative with a newer look.
Reecie Styers
I thought this was an amazing book. It shows what other people had to go through to be free.
Barbara
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this quick read. Very fast paced and action packed. Perfect for a reluctant reader. Suggested for all students. Strong female character.

Mal

• Antiracist Baby
  • The Grace Year
  • Carrie and the Great Storm: A Galveston Hurricane Survival Story
  • Autumn: Signs of the Season Around North America
  • Easter Eggs Everywhere!
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Wishing Well
  • Down the River Road (Classic Reprint)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Wendy Watson's Mother Goose
  • Spooky Bunny Tales
I was born and raised in Oakland, CA and now live in Davis, CA with my husband and two children. I love to read, write, listen to music, dance, act silly, and visit the coast. I've worked at elementary schools for over 25 years, and love spending my days with children. My books include: The Little Christmas Elf (2011), Treasure Hunt (2019), Ann Fights for Freedom: An Underground Railroad Survival ...more

Girls Survive (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Emmi in the City: A Great Chicago Fire Survival Story