Start by marking “National Geographic Complete Guide to Pet Health, Behavior, and Happiness: The Veterinarian's Approach to At-Home Animal Care” as Want to Read:

In National Geographic's comprehensive and easy-to-use illustrated pet reference, a renowned veterinarian offers expert advice on common health, behavior, and training for cats, dogs, and other domestic pets.

Combining first aid, medical reference, and tips and tricks of the trade, here is your go-to-guide for at-home animal care, focusing on dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, and
Published April 2nd 2019 by National Geographic Society

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic Complete Guide to Pet Health, Behavior, and Happiness

Start your review of National Geographic Complete Guide to Pet Health, Behavior, and Happiness: The Veterinarian's Approach to At-Home Animal Care
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was approached about reviewing this book, I had recently adopted three cats; one adult and two kittens. I already knew I love National Geographic books for their comprehensiveness and beautiful photographs. It was a win-win!

Complete Guide to Pet Health, Behavior, and Happiness is replete with a veterinarian’s advice on health, behavior, and training for cats, dogs, and other domestic animals. This book is a wonderful reference to have on hand when you have a concern.

Dr. Gary Weizmann, D
Toni
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great compilation of what pet owners need to know about caring for their pets through all stages of their pets’ lives. The book focuses on dogs and cats primarily, since that’s America favorite pet animals. Along with extra sources provided for further info or reading. Highly recommend.
Kitten Kisser
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It's Good & It's Bad

This book is mostly geared towards dogs. Cats seem more like an afterthought & small critters are hardly mentioned at all. Some advice was just plain wrong. For example he states that you shouldn't purchase over the counter dewormers because they don't work. Really. Is that so? Funny, because I've been using them with excellent results for my cats, goats, & rabbits. There are great dewormers available online & some are even available at local stores. You just have to make sur
SundayAtDusk
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I think this is an overall excellent pet reference book, covering so many areas of pet ownership, I am giving it three stars, due to the author's failure to provide any worthwhile suggestions about what to do about vet costs many can no longer afford. Dr. Weitzman even states in the beginning of the book he is aware of the crisis situation involving affordable vet care, but then soon after that states getting a new pet should be seen the same as buying a new car. Well, no, getting a new ...more
Jacki Leach
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This extremely informative book gave me so much help with some various problems I've been experiencing with our three cats; a.k.a. 'The Evil Plan Bureau'. It gives info on health, behavior, and miscellaneous problems a caregiver can encounter with their beloved pets.

And it not only covers cats & dogs, but also provides valuable info regarding rabbits, hamsters, reptiles, etc.

I thought I would only need to borrow it once, but I ended up keeping it for another 3-week stint. And I'll borrow it aga
Diana Toole
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly informative, along with some good, solid advice. But the best part of the book is the reverent humor that Dr. Gary Weitzman has throughout the whole book. I chuckled out loud many times.
However, he is clearly a dog person, and not a cat person. Still plenty of great information for cat owner, just don't expect your pet to be shown in the best possible light.
Jennie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everything you need to know about pets is here; from selection to nutrition and how they should match your lifestyle.

Highly recommended.
Lora
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative. 4 stars because I think it would be more useful to have separate books for dogs, cats and then small “other” pets.
Reeka (BoundbyWords)
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book came to me LITERALLY following an injury my 11-month-old kitten suffered. Poor thing got her paw caught in my bedroom door as I was closing it, and my entire world collapsed. The next day she was distant and ran to hide when I tried to pet her. I thought I had lost her trust forever, or worst yet, she was badly injured. I was able to find the answers I was looking for (and a couple I didn't even know I was looking for) in this informative guide.

I have qualms though, but it's not the ki
Lori
Kathy
Jul 13, 2019
Jacek
Jul 21, 2019

• The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Mama's Last Hug: Animal Emotions and What They Tell Us about Ourselves
  • The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
  • Каникулы строгого режима
  • Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids
  • Портрет мертвой натурщицы
  • Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone
  • The Joy Luck Club (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 6 Reader)
  • Дядя Фёдор, пёс и кот
  • Вредные советы
  • L'Empire des anges
  • Любовь к несовершенству: Счастливо жить, себя и других принимая
  • Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom
  • Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust
  • I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections
  • Brave Enough
  • Скучаю по тебе: Как пережить боль расставания, восстановить отношения или отпустить
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
Dr. Weitzman is president of the San Diego Humane Society and the former CEO of the Washington Animal Rescue League. During Dr. Weitzman's tenure at WARL, it became a recognized leader in physical and behavioral rehabilitation and a national resource for helping animals after natural disasters and puppy mill rescues. Dr. Weitzman is also a veteran of the U.S. Air Force and an expert in non-profit ...more