Start by marking “DeadSteam: A Chilling Collection of Dreadpunk Tales of the Dark and Supernatural” as Want to Read:

Reader beware: to open this tome is to invite dread into your heart. Every page you turn will bring you closer to something wicked. And when the dead begin to rise from the steaming pits of hell, only then will you discover that it is already too late. Your life is forfeit.

Featuring an introduction by Leanna Renee Hieber, author of the Eterna Files and Strangely Beautiful
Published October 1st 2018 by Bryce Raffle

To ask other readers questions about DeadSteam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DeadSteam

Start your review of DeadSteam: A Chilling Collection of Dreadpunk Tales of the Dark and Supernatural
✨Sumi's Books✨
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected more.
A collection of dark/horror stories in steampunk fashion. This collection is brought together for the first time in one volume.
Okay I apologize for sounding like a dinosaur but I really don't know who this book is aimed at. Who exactly is the target audience? If it's adults then I have to say it failed miserably. However if it's pre teens and young adults, it's pretty good. I'm assuming that's where this book was supposed to be heading.
Some of the stories are cute. None of them a
Bedelya (clockwork.bookdragon) Moreno-Roth
What a reading delight!! This dreadpunk (steampunk horror) anthology is a perfect way to get in the Halloween mood. These story’s are reminiscent of classic penny dreadfuls and gothic horror.

I especially loved the tales where vampires were the focus. Like Anthony in Red by Jen Ponce and The Case of the Murderous Migraine by Karen J. Carlisle. I haven’t read gothic vampire tales in a while and forgot how much I enjoy those tales.

Additionally, I absolutely was spooked by Harvesters by E. Seneca.
Jessica Belmont
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve never read dreadpunk, and I was immediately intrigued when the opportunity to read DeadSteamcame up. I’m glad I did! It put me right back into the Halloween mood.

I’m having trouble picking a favorite short story, they were all great in their own right. I think some of these stories even deserve their own film novels.

I definitely recommend checking these short stories out. They are chilling and an interesting blend of horror and steampunk.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my ho
Noelle Kelly
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was on the book cover reveal and trailer for Dead Steam, the trailer was unbelievable so I jumped at the chance to review it.
Best Read
When you want to get lost in a bygone era of steam trains, betrayal and horror.

My Thoughts on the Book
I must confess that I know very little about steampunk as a genre but I absolutely loved this book. The quirky takes are set in a Victorian time of séances, resuscitation of the dead, scientific discoveries, mayhem and murder.

Each story is original and quirky an
Jessica Bronder
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful collection of seventeen dreadpunk horror stories, think Penny Dreadfuls. I have never heard of dreadpunk but I have to say I have fallen in love with these stories. They include several stories full of vampires, zombies, witches and so much more. There is a story or to that will delight anyone that enjoys the horrors of the world.

I know I missed Halloween and this book would have been perfect. But I still got the chance to dance in its pages amount the death, blood, and gore
Kay
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
DeadSteam: A Chilling Collection of Dreadpunk Tales of the Dark and Supernatural is a great book for a newbie to dreadpunk like me. Filled with stories that excite and tantalize the mind, I was on the edge of my seat for many of these short stories. A great book to light some candles to, turn on the fire place and read in the chilly coldness this winter season.
Melanie
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
For fans of gothic horror, this anthology does not disappoint. London Fog, the undead, crumbling manors, and lots of rot, this anthology has everything you have come to love and expect from the gothic horror genre. A nice variety of stories that are well-written and well-imagined. A definite must for the upcoming "spooky season." A perfect read for a chilly, cloudy day. I recommend it!
Alex (Briennai)
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dead Steam is a dreadpunk short story collection. What is dreadpunk? Dreadpunk is Gothic-inspired horror and dark fantasy. It is not the same as steampunk, which is usually a reimagining of history with fantastical machines that run on steam. Dreadpunk is a reimagining of history with a horrifying collection of terrible monsters and gory deaths. It is not too far off from actual history to be honest, but instead of the monsters being crazily powerful men with tools of war, the monsters are vampi ...more
Lori Tiron-Pandit
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lawrence Salani
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
E Seneca
Oct 08, 2018
Darcy
Jul 16, 2018
Bryce Raffle
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
David
Aug 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Joy
Mar 20, 2020
Darcy
Aug 05, 2018
Bryce Raffle
Aug 29, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Joy
Sep 03, 2018
James Dorr
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Efreak
Feb 03, 2019

• Fountain Dead
  • Kill or Cure: Bloodlust
  • 球状闪电
  • A Choir of Lies (A Conspiracy of Truths, #2)
  • Terra Incognita: Three Novellas
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1)
  • Made Things
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution
  • We Are the Ants
  • The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind (The Frost Files, #1)
  • The Four Thousand, the Eight Hundred
  • Colonel Brandon's Widow and Willoughby: A 'Sense and Sensibility' Variation Sequel
  • Misreading Judas: How Biblical Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time
  • Ice Cream Castles
  • Luminous Spirits (Shadow Eyes, #2)
  • The Strongest Vow: In the way of love, we never win or lose completely; a throbbing share always remains.
Bryce Raffle is a Canadian fiction writer living in beautiful British Columbia. He studied English at the University of Manitoba, where he received a bachelor's degree in English with a minor in History. He also received the Dallas Taylor Memorial Prize for academic excellence in Creative Writing. He later studied Sound Design for Visual Media at Vancouver Film School, and worked on a number of fi ...more

News & Interviews