Start by marking “Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl” as Want to Read:
Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl

Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl

SHE WROTE THE POEM ABOUT HER FEELINGS FOR BRETT, BUT CARTER SEEMS TO FIT THE DESCRIPTION BETTER.

One poem caused all this? High school freshman Riley Houston soon discovers she should have kept her personal poetry to herself instead of reading it aloud for her English assignment.

Former ugly duckling Riley has had a crush on her neighbor Brett Harvey for as long as she can
Paperback, Cover Change, 212 pages
Published February 22nd 2017 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl

Start your review of Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl
Jes Drew
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast, sweet romance with a decidedly Carolina flavor that left me craving barbecue without even mentioning it. The characters were very realistic, and both Trent and Taylor were my favorites. There were some euphonistic explatives- much more innocent then kids use now a days- but other than that, it was clean. The theme and romance are timely- especially for young high schoolers the same ages as the characters and the perfect alternative to today's YA.

I received a copy fromance the
Allyson
Updated Content Review: 7/8/2018

Language: With the release of the new cover edition in July 2018, the former instances of the Lord's name used in vain have been removed. None of the words that are bleeped out in mainstream media are included in this novel. However, it does contain the words “crap”, “fart”, “heck”, "darn", and "dang".

Romance: There is kissing, hand holding, etc. There is nothing sexual in the novel.

Disclaimer: My intent in writing Christian fiction is to write in a way that’ll
R.A.
Well, I definitely have mixed feelings for this book, but more about that later!

The Characters:
Riley - she was nice and I'm glad she became not-so-shy! :)
Carter - yes, I loved him!! Countryish and all that! I'll agree with Riley about liking the plaid shirt over t-shirt combo!
Brett - *shakes head*
Trent - ha, every book needs to have a nerd!

The Story-line:
It was okay, but I didn't exactly really, really like it!

Content:
Where should I start?
1. I didn't like the dream Riley had - definitely a bit
Ivie
I read this book in one day, something that I haven't done with a book in AGES. Y'all, I was invested.

So, this book isn't typically what I enjoy. I enjoy contemporary, but usually the darker stuff. This, however, was a big ball of fluff that melted my heart.

What I Liked

-Carter and Riley's relationship.
- Lexie
-Taylor
-Trent
- Pretty much everyone except Hailey, Nichole, and Tiffany, and even then, they played a great role in the mean girls. Honestly, their part in the story was important,
Lydia Therese
Can't Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl is by Allyson Kennedy.

This was a fun book, however, going into it I wasn't aware that it was going to be a book completely and totally centered on romance. I am not a huge romance person, although I do ship book characters pretty hard if they are cute enough. Just romance completely on its own as a genre, though, is not necessarily my thing.

Riley was likeable. I enjoyed reading from her POV. However, the rest of the book characters felt pretty generic to
Gracelyn Buckner
4 Stars

This was really sweet! I was excited to read it, especially since its set in my home state. (view spoiler) I'm taking one star off for how young Riley and Carter were (not that a relationship started at a young age can't work out), but it was still very sweet. I can't wait to read more of Miss Kennedy's books.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Olivia Jarmusch
WRITING STYLE: 5 STARS

Allyson Kennedy is a very talented writer! I have to admit, I was totally hooked from the first line! Her writing style is adorable, and it's nice to read something so spunky and upbeat. I definitely felt like I was reading the diary of her main character, Riley, a High School freshmen. So much YA fiction has a fascinating story-line, yet falls short when it comes to their writing style. Not many authors can write YA realistically and joyfully while capturing true teen and
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
I feel like another reviewer stole the words right out of my mouth when she said, “I went into [this book] with zero expectations and came away with a goofy smile and a bucket load of respect for the author's ability.” Can’t Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl broke every mold it could for me. I don’t usually like reading romances, but I enjoyed this novel; I don’t usually care for first-person, present-tense narration, but I loved the author’s use of it in this book; I usually can’t stand love ...more
Serenna
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! I loved it so much! It was clean book. I really loved the authors writing style. And I really related to the characters. I do wish the they were a little older. Can't wait to read another book of yours! Can't wait to see where God takes the author with her writing.
M. Boyle
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Allyson Kennedy’s Christian YA novel Can’t Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl follows Riley Houston through the ups and downs of her freshman year of high school.
Riley exited middle school as an awkward loner, and she is determined to have a better high school career. Thanks to her cousin Trent, two true friends, and catching the attention of her long-time crush, she’s off to a good start – that is, until her first love threatens to become her first heartbreak. Maybe the cute guy Trent introduced
Lynn Rogers
May 31, 2018

• Kiera
  • Enjoy the Poodle Skirt
  • Love Needs No Words
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Counted Worthy
  • Guitar Notes
  • The Night Archers (The Twin Arrows, #2)
  • The Twin Arrows (The Twin Arrows, #1)
  • Restart
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Eventown
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • In His Steps
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
  • The Scarecrow and His Servant
Allyson Kennedy’s goal as an author is to write realistic, thought-provoking fiction that honors God while not sugarcoating the realities of the world. She started pursuing indie publishing in 2017, and has since released the young adult romance, Can’t Beat the Heart of a Carolina Girl and middle grade novel, Speak Your Mind. When she’s not writing, she can often be found with her nose in a book ...more