Start by marking “The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1” as Want to Read:
The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1

The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1

(The Legacy of King Jasteroth #1)

Princess Ariella lived a secluded life—until the arrival of her new tutor, Austin. With him as her guide, she quickly learns she’s gifted with a power called the Inner Eye, granting her the ability to manifest ice; an ability so rare, there is only one other known to possess it.

When a malevolent force threatens to destroy Ariella’s family, she turns to Austin for help. How
ebook, New cover, updated interior with V2 Prologue.

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1

Start your review of The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.1
Mc Chanster
I really wanted to like this book. I got a copy from Voracious Readers Only and saw that it was very highly reviewed so I was excited to get going.

The beginning I thought was really well done. I liked how the author set up Ariella's world and started establishing relationships and connections between the characters. A few chapters in, though, it seemed as though the care that was taken at the start wasn't so much there anymore. Characters seemed to only run hot or cold with little development -
Ashton Wyllie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer May
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novel for any fans of fantasy novels! The author creates lush scenes and well developed characters. This is a really great debut novel and I’m very much looking forward to future works!
Deanna
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Couldn't wait to read the next chapter.
I think it has something for everyone. Excitement, romance, action.

I highly recommend reading!!!
Kaitlin Carlson
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
The plot and the world were interesting, but I found the characters flat and the execution of the storyline hard to follow.

The character's reactions to things seemed to flip so suddenly from scene to scene, it was hard to get a consistent personality on any of them making it difficult to figure out exactly where everyone stood in relationship to one another. This made the characters hard to like and the romance hard to get in to, for me.

The plot was interesting, and I liked the idea of the world
Jennifer May
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denis Futac
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely faaaantastic!!! the visuals are stunning , the storyline has depth and more importantly attraction !!!
Hayley
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't want to say I hated this book because there were elements that I appreciated, but I will admit I was relieved when I finished it. I liked the brief history of the world and the description of the cities and the world Wyllie created. I loved The Community, but I wish there was more information on Chasterdale because Ariella was so determined to go there at the beginning of the book. I had a lot of other issues with the book as well:
1) The pacing at the beginning of the book. It was fast-p
Tanya
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a good starting point and I did enjoy it but there are some aspects of it that I hope are addressed for the upcoming books. I thought this book lacked character development. Who is Austin and Ariella... what is their backgrounds? Why was he chosen to be her tutor? Why did the King know about magic and yet his children no knew nothing about it? Did the King have any knowledge as to what was happening with the Queen? Why is her brother so mean to her? How did she not know about The C ...more
Bethany
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Spoilers! Beware!

I'm going to be brutally honest, but take it with a grain of salt. I got a free copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only for a review.

I didn't like this book. In fact, I hated it. But take it as constructive criticism. :)

Here are my problems with this book:

Ariella is a wimp. She squeals at the slightest thing, yet we're expected to believe in her because her ancestors were fearless warriors. I was waiting for her to grow more, but after 178 pages she's still a scaredy cat.
Zoe
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Ariella is a princess of the Golden Peaks with a secret magical power she never knew about. She longs to be a warrior, to swing a sword like her father, to fight in battles like her brothers, but she is forced to be a lady. One day, her father brings her a tutor - Austin - but he doesn't teach geography, or history. No, he teaches her how to use her inner eye. Shortly after, mysterious events occur. Her mother falls ill to an incurable sickness, her father is summoned to battle, and her eldest b ...more
Vidhi
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I was generously sent this book through Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review so here are my thoughts on The Legacy of King Jasteroth.

I found this book really easy to read and follow along which is always a positive. The beginning of the book has some really great imagery and descriptions which create a really nice start to the book. I thought that the introductions of all of the characters was done really well, there were no moments where I was confused about who was who and t
Hannah
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where do I even begin?! This book definitely is apart of the fantasy world, however it has some mysterious elements, some action elements, and of course one of those romances that makes you cheer when the two characters finally kiss! Austin was such a kind, emotion filled character which was really nice to see. And his interactions with Ariella were so adorable, the way he cares for Ariella, and vise versa.
The mystery comes in when there seems to be a misunderstanding regarding King Jasteroth a
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kim Hartwell
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S. L. Wyllie’s The legacy of King Jasteroth Is the first book in a series. The beginning felt unusual at first but quickly the story line started to take shape and it became easy to warm to the characters. It’s a lovely story for a varied age depending upon ability but possibly as broad as 9 to young adult. As a mature adult I have enjoyed reviewing the book and I definitely have children who will love this as a gift. There are two main characters the first an older girl Ariella, so appealing to ...more
Elly
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through 'Voracious Readers Only' and wow! The first chapter had me interested but the second chapter had me hooked.

Magic, action, a mysterious bad guy, and a deep rooted plot line - it has everything a good fantasy novel needs. The scene is set, the characters are consistent, and nothing is given away too soon, leaving the reader to piece things together. This book is mostly about Ariella and her personal trials and growth so while good as a stand alone I feel
Christine Jordan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from Voracious Readers for an honest review. This book was an interesting start to this series. It was a little light on character development but otherwise it was ok. It has an interesting concept in that a mistreated princess is actually a powerful magic weilder that is unaware of her own strength. I personally would have liked more development of both Austin and Ariella as well as their relationship. I'm curious as to the direction of the series and what Ariella plans to ...more
Kathy Mayer
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The creative magic & creepy castle were amazing!

Loved how slowly every night the things in the castle got worse. And the things that happened were so creepy. Her father was so harsh & older brother to her. Disrespectful, mean, rude, & downright hateful. How do you talk to someone you claim to love like that? Her tutor Austin couldn't have come at a better time! She needed something to take her mind off being cooped up in the creepy castle. And magic was her new obsession. I do wonder why she nev
Kat
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
The author spends some time creating the fantasy world, a world which most fantasy readers will enjoy. However, I feel the entire action in volume 1 could be reduced to 100 pages. The rising action is almost a plateau due to underdeveloped characters, no real suspense, and lack of information given to the readers (I understand wanting to "string readers along", but some information is key to understanding the world and conflict within the story).
I enjoy the writing style itself as scenes were v
Liza
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I received a free copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only, but that does not influence my review. I truly appreciated the setup of the world building in this book. Some other books I have read recently did not do this early on, so the beginnings of them were often confusing. However, while the world building was good, there was very little background history actually given. Why is magic outlawed, and why is Ariella not allowed to leave the castle? Ariella as a whole did not f ...more
Rachel
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading fantasy novels, but sadly, this one did not resonate with me. The descriptions to help set the scenes were great, but they did become rather repetitive. I had a hard time just believing in and relating to any of the characters. Many elements of the story line didn't make much sense to me, specifically regarding Ariella and Austin. Possibly the author's writing style is just one I personally don't connect with. I am sure other fantasy readers out there would really enjoy this story ...more
Tallie
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book having recieved it through 'Voracious Readers Only' but I really struggled to get through it as it felt rushed and a bit jerky, leaving me wondering if I had missed something.

It was a really interesting premise and I was looking forward to getting to know the characters and watch them develop but every bit of development was rushed or skipped over completely which was a shame as I think it could have been really good had a slower approach been taken and the char
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author via Voracious Readers Only. This sounded like the kind of book I usually enjoy by the description and it had really high ratings, and I really wanted to like it. But the description made it sound like the characters actually knew something, and I didn't get that from the book. I felt lost through the whole thing and no one knew what was going on. The author kept reintroducing characters and I was confused by the relationships - people ...more
Jeannie Lawson
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of "The Legacy of King Jasteroth" via Voracious Readers Only, and I really wanted to like this book. From the description, it sounded like a good sci-fi, action with a little romance sprinkled in here and there, and for me, the less romance, the better. There is lots of magic and some action, however, much more romance than I expected. If you enjoy romance novels with action and sci-fi in the background, then this book is for you!!! Overall, I thought the book was ...more
Shannan Williams
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word this book was intense from the very beginning! I actually forgot that I had this on my kindle. Once I started reading I literally could not stop! The characters were awesome and well developed. I pretty much fell in love with the two main characters, Austin and Ariella. This book is full of magic awesomeness, and the ending!! Oh goodness I cannot wait to read the next book! This book is an intense, heart pounding what is going to happen now type of a book.
Ramona Wilson
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was unsure how I would react to this book when I read the opening line. It reminded me of the beginning of a fairy tale, but the.story line quickly pulled me in, and I found myself completely enjoying it. I liked the fact that there was humor as well as all the elements that create a great book to read. I would very much like to read the second book of this series. .
Lillian Wakulchyk
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received this from Voracious Readers in exchange of an honest review. The characters were interesting , the main character seemed a bit immature but then I realized she is only 18 , and was living with being told girls behaved in certain ways so this was understandable. The detail was intricate and looking forward to what happens next !
Janine  Stevenson
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Author through Voracious Readers Only.

I enjoyed this first book in series and hope to read the next soon.
It contained all the needed adventure for this genre, including lovable characters, magic, good vs evil, engaging quests just to name a few. Easy reading and hooked me from the first page.
Carlisa
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not the normal type of books I read but was sucked in and finished in just a few days. Like it seems with every book I’ve received from Voracious readers now I need to find the rest of the serious so I can finish the full story.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only
Ron Welgush
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a complimentary copy and I am glad I accepted it from Viracious Readers. Characters are interesting and the interaction between them is so real.

Lots of mystery about the main character and her tutor.

Great read . Fi wished the book in 2 days. Cant wait for volume 2

Ron Welgush

• Whom the Gods Love (God & Mortals, #1)
  • Kingdom of Embers (Kingdom Journals #1)
  • The Sparks (Feud, #1)
  • Running With the Wolves (The Chronopoint Chronicles, #1)
  • The Redemption of Erâth: Consolation (The Redemption of Erâth #1)
  • Extinction of All Children
  • Excalibur Rising: An Arthurian Saga, Book One (Excalibur, #1)
  • The 13 (Mission's End #1)
  • Eloy's Discovery (The Eloy Trilogy Book 1)
  • 22 Scars
  • I Can't Sleep
  • Broken Hero
  • Servant of the Crown (Heir to the Crown #1)
  • Magic and Murder Among the Dwarves (Crying Woman Road #1)
  • City of Sound and Light
  • In Other News
  • Sapphire and Steel: The False Princess and the Warrior Jarl (Blood and Ice Book 1)
  • Control Switch
My name is Sara, and I’m an eccentric, sometimes shy, sometimes crazy, animal lover, indie-author, musician, etc. etc. etc. from Toronto, ON. But, I wasn’t always from Toronto, I actually grew up on the West Coast of Canada, on Vancouver Island. I have two wonderful dogs who are my pride and joy (no children yet), and I have no idea what direction my life is taking me anymore.

One day I woke up an

The Legacy of King Jasteroth (2 books)
  • The Journey to Oclesedor (The Legacy of King Jasteroth Vol.2).