Start by marking “Seal Mother - A Selkie Tale in Verse” as Want to Read:

A Selkie Tale in Verse

One lonely seal
in the midst of the ocean
rolls on the waves
to the rhythmical motion.
The seal watches over
the child on the sand.
Her lovely young daughter
born of the land.

On Midsummer’s Eve seals swim up onto the sand, shed their skin and transform into beautiful young women to give thanks to the mysterious Moon Goddess.

Lost in dance, no one notices a sh
Published July 5th 2018 by Gillari Books

To ask other readers questions about Seal Mother - A Selkie Tale in Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seal Mother - A Selkie Tale in Verse

Start your review of Seal Mother - A Selkie Tale in Verse
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'One lonely seal
in the midst of the ocean
rolls on the waves
to the rhythmical motion.
The seal watches over
the child on the sand.
Her lovely young daughter
born of the land.'

A haunting little tale of love, loss and deceit, told in verse.
Heartbreaking and absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
And don't even get me started on the illustrations. They are GORGEOUS!

One Selkie's sealskin is stolen by a fisherman who longs for a beautiful wife. He hides the skin and makes the lovely Selkie his wife. But a seal is not
Lorraine
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, fantasy
I loved this wonderful rhyming interpretation of the Selkie folklore.

The story tells the tale of a seal, trapped on land when a fisherman steals her pelt on midsummer's eve. She marries and has a family but always misses her old way of life, until one day she finds her seal skin and returns to the sea.

The beautiful illustrations add to this entertaining and poignant story.
Christine
This take on the selfie legend is pretty good, if not the smoothest told. I love the focus on the after, the connection with the children and it reframed the story quite well.
booklover BEV
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

I loved this so much I wish it had lasted long. Every poem of the story was so clever about seal mother,it really is recommended for all ages to read,enchanting story right through.
Deb McEwan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tale of a beautiful Selkie cleverly told in verse. With twists and turns to keep you guessing and moments of both sadness and hope, this marvellous story will appeal to both youngsters and adults alike. The illustrations are fabulous too and a perfect match for the story.
Highly recommended. I loved it!
J.S. Burke
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Seal Mother” by Rose English is a beautiful, poignant story told in rhyme. I love the fairy-tale feeling of the helpful mouse and the way a shell is used to communicate. Illustrations further bring this tale to life. The dance of the Selkies is one of my favorite pictures; it perfectly captures the moment.

Trapped on land, the Selkie has an overpowering need to reclaim her life in the sea, to be free, to be herself. The ending is powerful. This story spoke to me of our own need to be true to our
Diana Jackson
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seal Mother ~ A Selkie Tale in Verse is a delightful book telling a familiar story in a unique way. The illustrated poetry is a pleasure to read and reread.

The legends about seals coming to life in human form have inspired and seduced me ever since we moved to Scotland and Seal Mother is so beautiful.

This paperback would be perfect as a gift for a young adult or teenager who appreciates literature, folk tales and poetry but it also appeals to oldies like myself. Just beautiful!
Ally Aldridge
May 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This children's book tells the famous folk tale in verse. It's a quick easy read and beautifully retold. The pictures and formatting are a stunning addition to the pages. ...more
Maria
Jul 23, 2018
Michele
Jul 09, 2018
Rose English
Jul 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
Jan 14, 2021
Tirza Schaefer
Jan 21, 2021
Rose English
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-by-me

• The Beekeeper
  • The Searchers
  • Fantastic Voyage
  • A Boy from the Streets
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • First In, Last Out: Memoirs of an Expressman
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sewing Machine
  • The Salt Path
  • Interrogating Ellie
  • Katherine - Tudor Duchess (The Brandon Trilogy Book 3)
  • The Ears of a Cat
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Second Wind (Cypress Coast, #1)
  • The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
  • Forged from the Ashes (Wings of War Book 1)
  • A Prison in the Sun (Canary Islands Mysteries #3)
  • Unlikely Hero (A Spacehiker Adventure, #1)
Living on 'England's Green & Pleasant Land', amongst the gentle rolling hills of the Herefordshire Countryside, Rose's house is wall to wall books. She even has a 'leaning tower of paperbacks'.

Rose is a dreamer, preferring a simple & quiet life. Often spending time lone, although never lonely, being ever surrounded by great characters when lost in a good book. She loves theatre and the arts, adori

News & Interviews