Start by marking “Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One” as Want to Read:
Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One

Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One

(Serenity #1-3)

For the first time, the official sequels to the critically acclaimed show Firefly are collected under one cover!

The Serenity rides again, in these official sequels to the critically acclaimed show Firefly, collected for the first time under one cover! Buried histories and secret identities are revealed, along with all the heist-takin, authority-dodgin, death-defyin
Published November 20th 2018 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly

Start your review of Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One
Crystal
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn it. Now I want to rewatch Firefly. And I'm mad, again, that the show was cancelled so early to begin with.

But the graphic novel! I'd say it's probably a better graphic novel continuation than both the Buffy and Angel versions and I'm hoping the quality continues.
Dave Packard
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dead-tree
Yep I cracked open an actual dead tree edition to read this one, and I was not disappointed! New stories that are sequels of the show and movie, along with one killer back story. Loved it all the way through!
Alicia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dang but, this really made me miss the show.
Scott Firestone
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Firefly as much as most geeks, but we can't be blinded by our love of the source material, and objectively this was just kind of...fine. I will say that "The Shepherd's Tale" is pretty good, and gives us a new perspective on this excellent character.
Eden
2019 bk 327. A compilation of stories built around the crew of the Serenity and providing some backstory for the tv show Serenity. The stories are beautifully drawn and many of them do provide new tidbits of information. I had been hoping for one continuous graphic novel, this wasn't it. While I enjoyed the chance to visit some of my favorite television characters, the majority of the short stories left me wondering "what in the heck just happened and how did that fit into the universe of the ...more
orangerful
Embarrassing fact - I think I owned all of these comics in single issue format and I had not read them until now. In the collected library edition.

Fun collection of the Firefly/Serenity tie-in graphics. Most are taking place leading up to the movie, with references to the movie.

Fun read for fans.
Jenna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
And now I want to rewatch the show again. Shepherd Books backstory was probably the most intriguing but Id love to have a similar tale written for each of our crew!

Each issue cover was also beautiful. Posters, please?
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would recommend reading this book for "The Shepherd's Tale" only, if you haven't read it. Knowing Book's backstory is going to make every re-watching of Firefly an entirely new experience.
Jeremy
I typically have a bit of disdain for comic books or novels that continue a show/film series (does a 15-season show like Supernatural really requires novels?). However, since future seasons of Firefly were from Whedon's womb untimely ripped, I had a lot of remaining questions.

That's not to say that I want creators to over-explain their world (midichlorians, anyone?), but based on the way "Firefly" had skilfully foreshadowed and hinted at certain things, I figured Whedon probably had satisfactory
Kay
4.5 Firefly awesomeness.

For fans of Firefly & Serenity; this brought all the good Firefly nostalgia feels with new (and heartbreaking) content.

The writing was hilarious & on point for each character.
My favorite stories were Better Days by Joss (Whedon) and Brett Matthews, and The Shepherd's Tale by Joss & Zack Whedon.
I adored the "rich man" fantasies of everyone in Better Days, which made the ending so much more heartbreakingly sweet (good story-telling & great Mal writing).
Brad J
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Made me miss the show and I want to, of course, go watch it again.

Might be a bit hard to get into for anyone who hasn't experienced the Firefly universe before (and the movie Serenity) so diving into that first (totally worth it) is highly recommended.

The stories in this anthology starts off shortly after the TV show completes. These chapters are fun but not the bread and butter of what makes this Legacy Edition so worthwhile (mind you any Firefly is good Firefly so, Shiny.) The
Roy
Really impressive graphic continuation of the story of Firefly/Serenity, as plotted by Joss Whedon. A very credible continuation of the story, if you thought the TV series was fun and interesting. Several stories suggest how the people and story could have continued, mainly set after the movie version. The best experience is "The Shepard's Tale" in which we get a definitive answer to Shepard Book's mysterious past. It's satisfying, if not completely living up to the level of mystery developed in ...more
Zoe's Human
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lt
For fans of Firefly, this is a fun read with a few lapses in storytelling that are forgivable for the sake of being immersed in the universe again. For those who haven't seen the show, it's a confusing and at times incoherent collection of short stories that gives you zero opportunity to invest in the characters. Though, for existing fans who've already explored the graphic novel works based on the show, this contains nothing new and is a repackaging of previously released materials.

The one
Alana
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
firefly love!!
Nedislav
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have obviously been obsessed with the franchise ever since my cousin introduced me to it. I was reluctant to watch any other episode after the first... But when I picked it up again, oh my, it went quickly. Rather early I realised that there was only one season of Firefly, so I had to find out why.

I am so glad they tried to give a farewell to a great show with a film and a few beautifully engaging comic books. This book is a collection of a few stories which expand the world of the annoying
Lafourche Parish Library
Dont you just hate when your favorite TV program gets cancelled? After one glorious season, Fox Network canned Joss Whedons Firefly, much to the dismay of fans around the globe. To placate the masses, Joss Whedon wrote and directed Serenity, a film continuation of the television series. Although the film had generally positive reviews and several accolades, fans were not satisfied. Throughout the years, there have been rumors of Joss Whedon rebooting the beloved TV series. Unfortunately, there ...more
James Bylett
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
I'm a huge fan of Firefly so this would have had to be pretty terrible for me not to enjoy it, and I'm pleased to report that I did indeed enjoy it. Do I think it's essential reading? Not unless you're already a fan like me, this will probably neither make a lot of sense to, not convert anyone, who isn't already a fan of the franchise. I wouldn't say any of the stories blew my mind, but a couple attempt to fill in story gaps left by the premature cancellation of the series, with some success, ...more
Calvin Daniels
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love Firefly,and who doesn't, this is a super read. Really feels true to source material.
Todd Landrum
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found the art really poor. Frequently I had no idea if Kayleee/Inara/River were talking to Mal/Wash. The all kind of look the same.

The worst though was the story. We have the very tired misogyny of Mal/Inara "whore" dialogues and Kaylee runs off pouting a half dozen times because Simon says something bad about the Rim. The first story about Dobson and Book's history were good but the other stories were just really lame:

(view spoiler)
Shawn
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of graphic novels set in the Firefly Universe. "Those Left Behind," Better Days", "The Other Half", and "Downtime" were all set between the Firefly series and the movie Serenity. "The Shepard's Tale" is the story of Shepard Book and tells his life in excerpts. "Float Out" and "It's Never Easy" are set after Serenity. Except for "It's never easy" the art on these was amazing. Very much complimenting the story and enhacing it.
Of the novels, my favorite was "Better Days". It was, in my
Cale
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Most of these were re-reads for me, but a couple of the shorts were new. In general, the Firefly graphic novels have been pretty good at getting the character and the art down, but the stories tend to the convoluted, or poorly contrived. Better Days especially falls prey to "too many sides" and its resolution annoyed me even more this time than the first time. The Shepherd's Tale has grown on me though; I appreciated it much more, though the revelations of Book's backstory doesn't feel like it ...more
Kathryn Halbert
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I almost skipped this edition because of the poor likenesses on the cover art, but the convenience of getting this much content in one volume overruled the impulse to collect the stories separately. The best thing about this book is that it answers some questions that were never resolved in the show or movie, like whatever happened to the blue hand guys and what's Book's backstory? It's also nice that the collection contains some short standalone material for the complete collector that could ...more
Jack Reickel
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-and-comics
Only okay. One of the beefiest sections: (view spoiler)

Shepherd's tale is solid, Wash's stories are strong, and Moon's art for the little story at the end with Mal and River makes me
Brandon Nichols
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great collection of Firefly stories. My one annoyance was that, while the stories are presented in order of publication, they aren't presented in chronological order by the Firefly timeline.

You see Inara depart in one, just to have her there again in the next. This is a minor problem, but one that casual readers may note. At any rate, it's wonderful to have a collected volume of these stories. The artwork is varied, but always impressive, and the stories themselves put you right back to that
Natalie
I really enjoyed these stories. It was fun to step back into the Firefly 'verse, and the writing was well done. I give it four and not five stars because of the art. Sometimes it was fine and sometimes it was really off. There was almost a haphazard quality to the story "It's Never Easy," and I was a little sad that the reminiscenses about Wash in "Float Out" were by some random past acquaintances and not the crew, although their stories were fun enough. Overall though, I loved the unsuccessful ...more
Katie
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read most of the included stories individually, but it's nice to have them all in one place, and to have access to those extras that I missed the first time around. I just can't let go of the 'verse Whedon created, so these are wonderful to keep the dream alive, by adding stories in between the episodes, and continuing the story of what happened after cancellation and after the events of the movie.
Lewis Szymanski
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Not bad but disappointing. Too much fighting, not enough cow smuggling. The stories are in order of original publication which doesn't seem to be chronological. I guess that's fitting, considering the history of the TV show.

The high points are Shepard Book's life story and the free comic book day story at the end of the book.
Mhorg
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not...

A fan of the t.v. Show firefly. I do, however love serenity and the comics. Shoes what the show, which has an inflated reputation, could have been. The stories are more enjoyable than the art that accompanies them, since the art varies from story to story. Well worth reading.
John
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Better Days, Downtime, and The Shepherd's Tale were all great. The rest (mostly one-offs) were fairly meh. Felt like dashed-off deleted scenes. The dialogue really rang true, but a lot of the action sequences were visually nonsensical. Really hard to follow. Still, makes me want to revisit the show/movie soon!
Shane
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'd read most of these in prior, separate releases. Shepherd's story is still my totally standout favorite. The writing is spot-on for capturing the spirit of the show, and mostly the art dances across the border of the uncanny valley and back.

I long for more of The Real Thing, and all of the novel series trying to inhabit this 'verse just don't do it for me.

• Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2
  • Firefly: The Ghost Machine
  • Firefly: Big Damn Hero
  • Firefly: Generations
  • Angel Vol. 1: Being Human
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Firefly: Bad Company
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 2: Once Bitten
  • A Boldly Daring Scheme (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #7)
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: Copycats
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 3: From Beneath You
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: High School Is Hell
  • Firefly #1
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Canon Fodder
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (19972003)', 'Angel (19992004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Serenity (5 books)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse