Start by marking “Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One” as Want to Read:
Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One

Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One

For the first time, the official sequels to the critically acclaimed show Firefly are collected under one cover!

The Serenity rides again, in these official sequels to the critically acclaimed show Firefly, collected for the first time under one cover! Buried histories and secret identities are revealed, along with all the heist-takin’, authority-dodgin’, death-defyin’
Published November 20th 2018 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly

Start your review of Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One
Crystal
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn it. Now I want to rewatch Firefly. And I'm mad, again, that the show was cancelled so early to begin with.

But the graphic novel! I'd say it's probably a better graphic novel continuation than both the Buffy and Angel versions and I'm hoping the quality continues.
Dave Packard
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dead-tree
Yep I cracked open an actual dead tree edition to read this one, and I was not disappointed! New stories that are sequels of the show and movie, along with one killer back story. Loved it all the way through!
Alicia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dang but, this really made me miss the show.
Scott Firestone
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Firefly as much as most geeks, but we can't be blinded by our love of the source material, and objectively this was just kind of...fine. I will say that "The Shepherd's Tale" is pretty good, and gives us a new perspective on this excellent character.
Eden
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
2019 bk 327. A compilation of stories built around the crew of the Serenity and providing some backstory for the tv show Serenity. The stories are beautifully drawn and many of them do provide new tidbits of information. I had been hoping for one continuous graphic novel, this wasn't it. While I enjoyed the chance to visit some of my favorite television characters, the majority of the short stories left me wondering "what in the heck just happened and how did that fit into the universe of the ...more
orangerful
Embarrassing fact - I think I owned all of these comics in single issue format and I had not read them until now. In the collected library edition.

Fun collection of the Firefly/Serenity tie-in graphics. Most are taking place leading up to the movie, with references to the movie.

Fun read for fans.
Jenna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
And now I want to rewatch the show again. Shepherd Book’s backstory was probably the most intriguing but I’d love to have a similar tale written for each of our crew!

Each issue cover was also beautiful. Posters, please?
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would recommend reading this book for "The Shepherd's Tale" only, if you haven't read it. Knowing Book's backstory is going to make every re-watching of Firefly an entirely new experience.
Zoe's Human
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lt
For fans of Firefly, this is a fun read with a few lapses in storytelling that are forgivable for the sake of being immersed in the universe again. For those who haven't seen the show, it's a confusing and at times incoherent collection of short stories that gives you zero opportunity to invest in the characters. Though, for existing fans who've already explored the graphic novel works based on the show, this contains nothing new and is a repackaging of previously released materials.

The one
Alana
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
firefly love!!
Lafourche Parish Library
Don’t you just hate when your favorite TV program gets cancelled? After one glorious season, Fox Network canned Joss Whedon’s Firefly, much to the dismay of fans around the globe. To placate the masses, Joss Whedon wrote and directed Serenity, a film continuation of the television series. Although the film had generally positive reviews and several accolades, fans were not satisfied. Throughout the years, there have been rumors of Joss Whedon rebooting the beloved TV series. Unfortunately, there ...more
James Bylett
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm a huge fan of Firefly so this would have had to be pretty terrible for me not to enjoy it, and I'm pleased to report that I did indeed enjoy it. Do I think it's essential reading? Not unless you're already a fan like me, this will probably neither make a lot of sense to, not convert anyone, who isn't already a fan of the franchise. I wouldn't say any of the stories blew my mind, but a couple attempt to fill in story gaps left by the premature cancellation of the series, with some success, ...more
Calvin Daniels
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love Firefly,and who doesn't, this is a super read. Really feels true to source material.
Roy
Really impressive graphic continuation of the story of Firefly/Serenity, as plotted by Joss Whedon. A very credible continuation of the story, if you thought the TV series was fun and interesting. Several stories suggest how the people and story could have continued, mainly set after the movie version. The best experience is "The Shepard's Tale" in which we get a definitive answer to Shepard Book's mysterious past. It's satisfying, if not completely living up to the level of mystery developed in ...more
Kathryn Halbert
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I almost skipped this edition because of the poor likenesses on the cover art, but the convenience of getting this much content in one volume overruled the impulse to collect the stories separately. The best thing about this book is that it answers some questions that were never resolved in the show or movie, like whatever happened to the blue hand guys and what's Book's backstory? It's also nice that the collection contains some short standalone material for the complete collector that could ...more
Jack Reickel
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-and-comics
Only okay. One of the beefiest sections: (view spoiler)

Shepherd's tale is solid, Wash's stories are strong, and Moon's art for the little story at the end with Mal and River makes me
Natalie
I really enjoyed these stories. It was fun to step back into the Firefly 'verse, and the writing was well done. I give it four and not five stars because of the art. Sometimes it was fine and sometimes it was really off. There was almost a haphazard quality to the story "It's Never Easy," and I was a little sad that the reminiscenses about Wash in "Float Out" were by some random past acquaintances and not the crew, although their stories were fun enough. Overall though, I loved the unsuccessful ...more
Brandon Nichols
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great collection of Firefly stories. My one annoyance was that, while the stories are presented in order of publication, they aren't presented in chronological order by the Firefly timeline.

You see Inara depart in one, just to have her there again in the next. This is a minor problem, but one that casual readers may note. At any rate, it's wonderful to have a collected volume of these stories. The artwork is varied, but always impressive, and the stories themselves put you right back to that
John
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Better Days, Downtime, and The Shepherd's Tale were all great. The rest (mostly one-offs) were fairly meh. Felt like dashed-off deleted scenes. The dialogue really rang true, but a lot of the action sequences were visually nonsensical. Really hard to follow. Still, makes me want to revisit the show/movie soon!
Lewis Szymanski
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Not bad but disappointing. Too much fighting, not enough cow smuggling. The stories are in order of original publication which doesn't seem to be chronological. I guess that's fitting, considering the history of the TV show.

The high points are Shepard Book's life story and the free comic book day story at the end of the book.
Mhorg
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not...

A fan of the t.v. Show firefly. I do, however love serenity and the comics. Shoes what the show, which has an inflated reputation, could have been. The stories are more enjoyable than the art that accompanies them, since the art varies from story to story. Well worth reading.
Jolene
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is no way to remove the nostolgia feels from reading this. You will have the voices of the characters in your head while reading and oh it feels just right. It's great getting some backstory to some characters and to morn others more fully. Highly recommend for any Firefly fan.
Katie Whitt
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was kind of hit or miss but I just really wanted to read the Shepherds Tale since he’s one of my fave characters and I was always bummed they didn’t delve into his backstory for the series. Worth it for that alone
Andrea
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Browncoat required reading, and well worth it.
Especially Book's backstory - WOW
Take your time and savor it, or binge and devour in one sitting, but read it you must!

'nuff said
pianogal
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had some of these books sitting on my shelf for years without reading them. It's about time I finally got around to it. It was nice that they were all bound together. Can't wait for the next book, so I can get caught up.
Becky
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the Firefly series, but I found this graphic novel hard to follow. The illustrations were dark and details were often murky, and some of the characters looked so similar I had trouble telling them apart. I guess this is not the format for me.
John
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of comic books / graphic novels, so this was just a fun read from the fantastic universe that Joss Whedon created for TV. The backstory of Shepherd Derrial Book was unexpected, but revealing.
Rob
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had know Idea when I got this book that it wasn't just rehashed stories from the first season, This is like the missing Second season that never was. I loved that series on T.V. and was sad when it came to the end. I enjoyed this graphic novel for the art and the story, This was a Good Read.
Caitlin
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love Firefly, you wish there was more--well, here's more. A collection of stories, heists and background, jokes and loss. A great read for a fan, though not a good introduction to the story, as it assumes knowledge of characters and world.
Rachelle
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, comics
3.5 stars, I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection but it really just made me miss the show. I think they did a decent job capturing the spirit of the characters. Maybe it was something about the format, I can't quite or my finger on it, but this was only so so for me.

• Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Firefly: Big Damn Hero
  • Firefly: Bad Company
  • Stranger Things: The Other Side (Graphic Novel)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: High School Is Hell
  • It's Never Easy (Serenity #3.6)
  • Firefly #1
  • Firefly #2
  • Coda, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Star Wars: Vader - Dark Visions
  • Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men
  • John Wick, Vol. 1
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'