Start by marking “The Wicked and the Damned (Warhammer Horror)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked and the Damned (Warhammer Horror)

The Wicked and the Damned

(Warhammer Horror)

A chilling mosaic novel by masters of their craft.

On a misty cemetery world, three strangers are drawn together through mysterious circumstances. Each of them has a tale to tell of a narrow escape from death. Amid the toll of funerary bells and the creep and click of mortuary-servitors, the truth is confessed. But whose story can be trusted? Whose recollection is warped,
Published April 2nd 2019 by Warhammer Horror (first published March 30th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked and the Damned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked and the Damned

Start your review of The Wicked and the Damned (Warhammer Horror)
Amber
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stories, interconnected briefly - the first had a nice style akin to Poe's telltale heart, but the ruthlessness of the character felt gratuitous, same with the violence of the second story, though it did set it up for a chilling haunting-type tale. But it was edge third that really caught me, an everyman in the grimdark world of 40k, swept up in a profession he does not feel fit for and a duty so distant from him that still again and again imposes its destiny... This was the most real and ...more
Tepintzin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, warhammer-40k
What a disappointment! I was looking forward to the Warhammer Horror line, but wondered how it could be any more horror-esque than the normal 40k. In 40k I've encountered weird stories (The Strange Demise of Titus Endor) ghost stories (The Killing Ground) and zombies (anything with Papa Nurgle and his crew).

The stories are decent, particularly "The Beast in the Trenches" but it was ....nothing special. They were all very average 40k tales.

Nicole
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this but unfortunately like the Maledictions short story collection, it linked a lot to 4k warhammer universe, which I haven't read. So I think it would have enjoyed it more if I had read some of those books first.

However, fantasy and war isn't my thing. I much prefer classic horror but this wasn't that at all. It was nice to branch out into something different but ultimately it wasn't my cup of tea.

I liked how this book was set out, three separate stories which kind of linked
Michael Dodd
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the first batch of releases published by Black Library under the Warhammer Horror label, the Wicked and the Damned is a portmanteau story – a collection of three loosely linked novellas, by David Annandale, Phil Kelly and Josh Reynolds. On the mist-shrouded cemetery world of Silence, three strangers – a commissar, an officer and a priest – are brought together seemingly by random, surrounded by the dead with only each other and the sinister mortuary-servitors for company. Confused and ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Matt Midlock
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a terrible book. The stories are interesting and curious, but I felt little connection to the characters which is important in a horror story.

In general, there's something about the style of writing in the Warhamner novels that make it difficult for me to get into. The authors try to write in an epic, grandiose style that feels thick and dense but isn't pleasurable to read. As neat as the stories are and how rich and deep the lore of the Warhammer world is, they end up feeling like a
Dave Kirlin
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't feel frightened by the stories in the book. However that may be because I've experienced a lot of horror stories/movies. Overall, the stories felt very formulaic.
Darkcharade
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: warhammer and horror fans
nick
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
As stories set in the warhammer 40k universe they work well enough. Interesting settings, little snips and bits of the lives of everyday people in the 40k universe. as horror stories tough....

The problem I have with them is that I don't really feel that much difference with other supposedly non horror warhammer 40k stories. That is because warhammer 40k is an inherently horrific universe with chaos as a lovecraftian cosmic terror looming over all humans in the uncaring universe but that is not
Goran Ozanic
I must admit that I struggled through the first half of the book. Overall I'd give it a 2.5, but since there is no that option I rounded it up to 3.

First story almost made me give up on the book. First one is definitively the worst one of the three offered in this collection. Second one is not much better but at least it felt more readable and it did at least feel scary and had some of horror elements. My biggest gripe with those first two stories that I didn't feel at all that they were
James Rodrigues
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A portmanteau composed of three separate tales of space horror, each making their horrific locations feel vividly real, as the writers take on a different subgenre with intriguing elements and genuinely chilling segments.
The Beast in The Trenches, by Josh Reynolds, is a descent into madness excused by this lead as blind loyalty, expressed in the most extreme of fashions. It feels overlong, dragging throughout, but was a very intriguing tale which gripped me more than it didn't.
Next was The Woman
Jason Caldon
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The overall story starts with 3 people on a cemetery world. They are not sure why they are there, so they decide to tell stories about the last thing they remember. The three short stories that make up this book are their stories.
The first story is “The Beast in the Trenches” by Josh Reynolds. This tale is the Commissar’s story. It’s kind of a paranoia, psychological horror story.
The second story is the Field Commander’s story. Her tale is a gruesome ghost story. It’s called “The Woman in
Christian
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a collection of three strongly horror themed stories very loosely connected. I was greatly impressed by the maturity of writing and how it still kept to the sometimes exaggerated nature of the 40K setting. The stories try to realistically look at what it would be like to live as a regular human in such dark and terrible times. My only real gripe is the ending which, for me, seemed to suddenly end things but, thought of in another way, can express how the Grim Horror of the Far Future is ...more
Badger Hill
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Its a great read but part of me feels it will be more scary for someone who doesn't know warhammer 40'000 lore as many eliments that are being treat as being scary in the comtext of a horror novel are standard parts of the universes gothic setting. However, it is still well written and flows well, without patronising the reader, through an over arching tale that ads depth to a part of the universe not really covered: What does the imprium do with all those dead?
Vernon Burt
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good. This focuses on the 'grimdark' part of the Warhammer Universe without having to dreg up some hero to provide a happy(ish) ending. Instead this is a more pure horror writing, with no need to dive into the science fiction heroics. I'm glad the Black Library started this series and hope it continues. I like the main series, but it's hard to feel the horror in the world when some giant space marine is liable to drop out of the sky any moment and fix all the problems.
Jennifer Bosier
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greatly enjoyed this collection. Horror fits so well within the WH40k universe that the horror line felt like a natural next step. Unfortunately the book comes out with a bang with the fantastic "Beast in the Trenches," but the rest of the stories never quite reach that level of enjoyment. They're good, but not great, which wouldn't be so bad had the first story not been so far beyond the rest.
Shauna
Aug 10, 2019 added it
I don’t normally write reviews because I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but I thought I’d start to try.

I don’t normally read horror themed books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The mounting senses of dread, paranoia, and hopelessness kept me reading even if it was going to make me late for work.
Andrew Bass
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that Warhammer is branching into a "new" genre, what they are calling "Warhammer Horror." Of course, the entire Warhammer universe is already pretty horrible. So it's not a huge departure. But I enjoyed the story. Basically three separate tales that tie together in the end. If you are looking for heroes, look elsewhere.
Olivia
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror is definitely not for me, though the narrators were excellent.
Brad Cousins
It was alright. The Horus Heresy series is more horrific in places and the ending was obvious by the end of the second short story.
Eric Smith
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
I think the final story was my favorite but I enjoyed them all. The part that tied the three tales together was weak but it wasn’t really important anyway I suppose.
Jackson James
Jul 16, 2019
David
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Solar War (The Siege of Terra #1)
  • Spear of the Emperor (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Angron: Slave of Nuceria (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs #11)
  • Konrad Curze: The Night Haunter (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs, #12)
  • The Buried Dagger (The Horus Heresy #54)
  • The Lost and the Damned (The Siege of Terra #2)
  • The Hollow Mountain (Vaults of Terra #2)
  • Requiem Infernal (Dark Coil)
  • Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work
  • Shadowbreaker (Deathwatch)
  • Plague War (Dark Imperium #2)
  • Titandeath (The Horus Heresy #53)
  • Celestine: The Living Saint (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Dark Imperium (Dark Imperium #1)
  • Anarch (Gaunt's Ghosts #15)
  • Ghoulslayer
  • Realmslayer
  • The Talon of Horus (Black Legion #1)
Josh Reynolds’ work has previously appeared in such anthologies as Historical Lovecraft from Innsmouth Free Press and Horror for the Holidays from Miskatonic River Press, and his novel, Knight of the Blazing Sun, is currently available from Black Library. He can be found at: http://joshuamreynolds.wordpress.com

Warhammer Horror (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Anathemas (Warhammer Horror)
  • Castle of Blood
  • The Child Foretold (Black Library Advent Calendar 2019 #11)
  • The Colonel's Monograph (Black Library Novella Series 2 #10)
  • Dark Harvest
  • The House of Night and Chain
  • Invocations
  • Maledictions (Warhammer Horror)
  • The Oubliette (Warhammer Horror)
  • Perdition's Flame (Warhammer Horror)