Start by marking “Lucy & Lola / When We Play Our Drums, They Sing!” as Want to Read:
Lucy & Lola / When We Play Our Drums, They Sing!

Lucy & Lola / When We Play Our Drums, They Sing!

Tłįcǫ Translation : Eye Ts'ehxà Nidè, Gedzi

The novellas will be bound together in a "flip-book" format, which offers the intended audiences two important perspectives in one package.

The first part is: The Journey Forward, A Novella On Reconciliation: When We Play Our Drums, They Sing! by Richard Van Camp

This the story of 12-year-old Dene Cho, who is angry that his people
Published 2018 by McKellar & Martin Publishing Group, Limited

Start your review of Lucy & Lola / When We Play Our Drums, They Sing!
Niki
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Uniquely, Lucy & Lola and When We Play Our Drums, They Sing! are two separate stories by different authors, bound together as one.

Lucy & Lola is the the tale of two young girls who spend the summer with their Kookum. Author Monique Gray Smith weaves in many important topics, including residential schools, assumptions/prejudices, and alcoholism. Lucy & Lola is a gentle story filled with important teachings. I would recommend it for students in grades 4-6.

In When We Play Our Drums,
Jon
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Both stories are rich in their own ways. Wonderful collection for youth and learning about truth and reconciliation.
Christine
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve been a fan of Richard Van Camp for a long time. I really liked his contribution to this flip book. It was slightly edgy, but accessible. The Lesser Blessed is a great book, but it’s too complex in parts to be accessible to all my students, plus there’s some pretty graphic sex, drugs and rock and roll, but this book could be (and probably should be) read by all people.

Monique Gray Smith’s contribution is a cute story, but I didn’t enjoy it as much. It would be suitable for a much younger
Marmot
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-novels
4 stars for When We Play Our Drums, They Sing!, and 3 stars for Lucy and Lola. The drum story was more engaging and eye opening for me, as I think a lot of indigenous youth may feel like Dene did. I loved the format of this book, 2 stories, 2 covers, and guiding questions in the middle. Probably the thing that was the most unique about this book, was that it really seemed targeted for indigenous youth to read, rather than to educate the rest of the world on what it can be like to be an ...more
Lynn
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All should read this book. The story of Dene Cho was a perspective we should all be aware of. The metaphor of lava was very effective. His anger made me feel uncomfortable, which I think I should feel. The other side was a good history lesson. The misunderstanding with Kate was a bit contrived, I wish that part of the story was different. I will recommend to all the grade 4 & 5 classes. Maybe a library read aloud. I really appreciate the readers guide that went with both novellas.
K-Moss
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I especially enjoyed the Drum story. It was informative as well as a good thought provoking story. I enjoyed Lucy and Lola but found it to be light and more simplistic. I would use both in a school context to teach students about reconciliation.
Shamana Ali
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Powerful medicine. Recc.
Julie McKenna
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Two novellas in one book. ...more
Roderick Mcgillis
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slight but important stories. Recommended.
Ginny
Aug 01, 2018

• Ebb and Flow
  • No Fixed Address
  • Missing Mike
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • Mucus Mayhem (The Almost Epic Squad)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • Coop The Great
  • Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Journey of Little Charlie
  • A World Below
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more