Start by marking “A Duel for Christmas (Pevensey Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Duel for Christmas (Pevensey Mysteries, #3)

A Duel for Christmas

(Pevensey Mysteries #3)

Published October 1st 2018 by Madison Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Duel for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Duel for Christmas

Tressa (Wishful Endings)
A DUEL FOR CHRISMTMAS is an enjoyable sweet historical romance with a few twists and turns. The characters are quite likable and the story is engaging with a plot that grows in intensity towards the end. Recommended to historical romance fans!

This story was easy to get right into from the start. It begins as a sweet historical romance, but as it goes there are clues dropped here and there about some nefarious purposes underfoot until something devious truly does occur and the chase is on to find
Megan
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
“A Duel for Christmas” by Rosanne Lortz is a wonderful read, especially for the holidays! Although this is the third book in the “Pevensey Mysteries” series, it’s the first book from the series that I have read. It can definitely be read as a standalone.

I enjoy how “A Duel for Christmas” opens with a ball and how the book is sectioned off into the twelve days of Christmas. One can never go wrong with a ball in my opinion! Scenes at the ball remind me a lot of “Pride and Prejudice,” with a parti
Chautona Havig
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I loved:
One of the best things about this book is how the author took actual events from the medieval era and rewrote them in Regency times. She created interesting characters—ones who you really can’t help but loving. I found myself especially drawn to some of the minor characters, and I hope to see more of Ralph and Pevensey soon.

I also loved the author’s occasional turn of phrase. Seriously, she knew how and when to write a phenomenal line or two that really packed a punch. Two of those
HR-ML
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
******SPOILERS******

Geoffrey, a tad inebriated Duke & widow Lady Maud im-
pulsively kissed under the mistletoe. She thought him
virile, but a "beardless youth" being nearly 5 yrs her
junior. 2 men intimidated/ threatened Maud, causing
anxiety. Her parents seemed oblivious to her struggles.
Her headaches? Her body language? Geoff & her good
guy half-brother Ralph worked in concert to help her
resolve this conflict. Geoff befriended the 2 protagonists
to learn their weaknesses. He disliked
Kelly Bridgewater
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it

I have never heard of the author Rosanne E. Lortz, but her novel, A Duel for Christmas' synopsis sounded interesting, so I couldn't wait to try out the novel. London. Mystery. Regency. Christmas. Sounded right up my alley. I took a chance on a new author in a genre I have read. Some aspects of the novel stick out while some didn't work quite so well for me.

First, I really enjoyed how Lortz took a historical element and event and brought into life in a Regency novel, so I could enjoy th
Heidi
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Geoffey Angiers, the young Duke of Tilbury, cannot like his sister Helena's choice of husband. However, Will Aldine's sister, Lady Worlington, is another matter entirely. A Christmas kiss under the mistletoe confirms Geoffrey's suspicions: the widow Maud is as delicious as a Christmas pudding. As the days of Christmas march on, attraction turns to genuine affection. But does the lovely Maud feel the same?

Maud, Lady Worlington, knows very well the loneliness of being wed to an older man. Though s
Tonya
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Duel for Christmas is a perfect read during the holidays or as a quick read anytime. One of my favorite things about the book is something that is quite a delightful surprise! The historical information that inspired author Rosanne E. Lortz to write this historical novel is included as well as how Lortz wove the inspiration into this novel.

There are many characters within A Duel for Christmas that I would like to get to know better- Ralph, Helena, Maud's mother, Mr.Mr. Pevensey and Miss Cecil.
Jessie Young
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first time I had read anything by Rosanne E. Lortz! I was excited to find a new author and was curious to read her work. I was not disappointed. Lack of having read the previous books in the series was not an issue. So don't let that be a deterrent! Grab this book for a great read while snuggled under a blanket, drinking something warm and yummy. Regency era novels aren't one of my most read genres but I did thoroughly enjoy this book! There was a little romance and mystery mixed in ...more
Nicki Markus
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-historical
Overall, I enjoyed A Duel for Christmas. I am a sucker for Regency romance, so this work was right up my street. I loved the characters of Maud and Geoffrey, and the plot had plenty of action and suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat, figuratively speaking. I thought the story evoked the era well; however, there were, I believe, mistakes in the titling of some of the noble characters. I did also wonder at times about the romance. I liked the idea of the two of them as a pair, but there wa ...more
Nadishka Aloysius
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this is the third in the series it works as a standalone. I picked it up because it is supposed to be a mystery set in Regency times.
The style of writing and characters reminded me rather vividly of the Jane Austen novels I read as a teenager. The setting and language was authentic. I loved how the chapters followed the 12 days of Christmas.
However, the story was a disappointment in that there was no 'suspense' or real 'mystery' to it - it was basically a romance novel thinly veiled a
Betti
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author is new to me, and I will certainly be looking for more of her works. This story, that seemed to start out so sedately, became a real page turner as I tried to figure out what on earth might happen next and who did it anyway! Set in Regency times, we are reminded of what it means to be the heir of the family fortune and the devastation of being 'born on the wrong side' of the blanket. A time when being female meant you were there to make sure the house ran smoothly, the children were ...more
Elsbeth
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksprout
Well written, beautiful story!
It starts as a typical Regency Romance, with a young duke, falling in love with a lovely widow.
Enter the suspicious characters. The boring, broke cousin, who is after the widow's hand and money. The mean and jealous stepson, who blackmails and threatens her.
But the young duke is willing to risk his life for the women he loves.
And then there is the kind and smart detective, who digs for the truth. But with heart for the people involved.
What adds something extra to t
Dixie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pleasant enough blend of romance and mystery, with the legal complications and societal restrictions that come with a Regency setting. The lead characters were an unlikely match and although attraction came quickly for Geoffrey, Maud had good reasons to reject his suit. The plot took time to bring in all of the secondary characters and flesh out the mysteries at play. Geoffrey and Maud may have been in the romantic spotlight for this standalone book, but it was really an episode in a ...more
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this story, it was well written and I was completely captivated and transported back to the time of the book.

It has a brilliant plotline and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were great and they worked really well together. The book is the third in the series but I haven’t read the previous books and this one can definitely be read as a stand alone.

A perfect read for this time of year – a thoroughly enjoyable read – very highly recom
Lori Quick
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Duel for Christmas by Rosanne E. Lortz was such a delightful story. It is the third in the series, but can certainly be read as a stand alone. I would highly recommend it to anyone that loves a good mystery. This book has love, duels, murder, bow street runners, and much more. Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for the book and have volunteered my review.
Deanna Stevens
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
I do enjoy stories of strong women. Lady Maud married young for financial security and pays for it dearly before and after her much older husbands death. A little mystery, a little romance and even a duel of honor! Interesting characters and the story certainly kept my attention. I really liked how it ended! I was gifted a copy. No review was required and my review is voluntary..
Maggie Whitworth
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❤
💋
The Pevensey Series Is one I’ve not read before , this being the third in that series , I have really enjoyed reading it .
This is a murder mystery/ romance , set during the 12 days of Christmas, and is one you really won’t want to put down .
I was thoroughly transfixed with this book , hating to be away from it in case something happened and I missed it , we’ve all been there right , silly but true.
The characters were believable and well fleshed in their development and the story itself had
Lynda Edwards
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
This is a new author for me, but combining my favorite time period to read about and Christmas sounded like a book I wanted to try, and largely, I’m glad I did. There were some things I liked about this Regency story, including the heroine. She is 26 and a widow, both uncommon for female leads in many novels. She is intelligent and unwilling to settle for marriage with just any man, a fairly strong character who has faced difficulties and come out the better for it, though not without scars.

The
Monique
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Widowed six months ago, Lady Maud Worlington has moved back to London with her family, and what should have been a quiet dinner became instead a ball to celebrate the betrothal of Maud’s brother Will to Lady Helena Angiers. That’s when Maud first encounters the dashing Geoffrey, the duke of Tilbury and Helena’s brother and guardian. Geoffrey is more than intrigued by the beautiful widow, while she wants nothing romantic to do with him: he is five years younger than she is; how could a romance ev ...more
Riley
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rosanne E. Lortz is a new-to-me author and a delightful new find! A Duel For Christmas is a Regency era novel peppered with 12th century characters. Sort of.

As I was reading the book, I gave no thought to the sinking of the White Ship. Instead, I got wrapped up in the story of Geoffrey and Maud, their families and their 19th century challenges. It wasn’t until I read the author’s notes at the end of the story that I thought about the White Ship again. This clever adoption and subsequent re-homin
Shelby
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
***ARC was provided to me for a fair and honest review***

Overall rating: 4/5 the first half is the true love story and the second half is a ‘who done it’ mystery.

Heroine (Maud Worlington): 4/5 She is a recent widow at 26 years old who is home for her brother’s engagement to a Duke’s sister.

Hero (Geoffrey Tilbury): 5/5 He is a recently inherited Duke who is the guardian of his sister and hopes that her fiance can keep her out of scandal long enough to get married. He’s got blond hair, a serious d
Deana Dick
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the writing style of the author. This is the first book I've read from her and I loved how she described the setting with grand detail. I could see the clothing they wore during the time period in the book by the vivid accounts of the material. I loved how prim and proper the characters talked and how they seemed to have an uncanny elegance about them. I wasn't sure what to expect from the book but I was very pleased with the story line.

Maud is quite a character with her having
MJSH
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This book was my introduction to Rosanne E Lortz's writing and I believe I have missed out much by not having picked up her books earlier! I did not realize that this book was #3 in the Pevensey Mysteries series until Mr. Pevensey was introduced about a third way into the book, but it can definitely be read as a stand alone. The author combines witty, clever, and fun writing with some fascinating facts from medieval English history transposed into Regency era. Add a mix of intrigue and mystery t ...more
MaryAnn Bell
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
After seven long years in Devon, Lady Maud Worlington returns to London to reclaim life on her own terms, but a nefarious shadow and the prospect of financial ruin dog her steps. An impulsive and unforgettable kiss under the mistletoe creates a connection with Geoffrey, the handsome, young Duke of Tilbury. Yet as pleasant as it is to have a suitor, Maud is not sure how a boy of one-and-twenty can prove an equal partner in life and the equal of all the forces mounted against her.

The Duke of Tilbu
Just Commonly
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of stories set in the Regency period. From the societal constraints and obligations to the subtle sense of romance to all the names of dukes and ladies, who doesn't want to immerse themselves in? Well, I was happy to pick up A Duel for Christmas by Rosanne E. Lortz. Only after reading the story did I realize this is part of a series, which I assume we will see some repeat characters. However, it definitely can be read as a standalone.

The premise had already interested me to pick i
Anne Rightler
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Duel for Christmas is the first book I have read by Rosanne E. Lortz so I wasn't sure what to expect but I sure did enjoy it! Even though it is third in a series, it is definitely a stand-alone read. Occasionally I would wonder about something but it was not distracting to the story, in fact, I might just have to go back are read the first two in the set. I loved the characters...strong, evocative, and well-rounded with their flaws apparent as well as their strengths. I especially liked Ralph, ...more
Janet
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seven long years in Devon, Lady Maud Worlington returns to London to reclaim life on her own terms, but a nefarious shadow and the prospect of financial ruin dog her steps. An impulsive and unforgettable kiss under the mistletoe creates a connection with Geoffrey, the handsome, young Duke of Tilbury. The Duke of Tilbury considers himself as adept at managing matters as he is at swordplay, but his beautiful new acquaintance Lady Worlington has other ideas about how to manage her complicated ...more
Donna C
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosanne E. Lortz has written a British Regency novel that is a delight. A Duel for Christmas is the third book in the Pevensey mysteries, and while can be read a stand alone version, if you love this book as much I do, you will be itching to read the first two in the series.

Lady Maude, a widow has returned to her family in London just in time for the Christmas season, however her return is anything other than calm. Maude is meet with an ailing father, a brother that is less than enthusiastic ab
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the cover. I am a big cover person. I want something that will draw me in, and make me wonder about the story. This cover did just that. The beautiful castle in the background with the light snow all around certainly puts me in the mood to read a Christmas novel! I had not read a book by Lortz before, so I was anxious to see if I would have another Regency author to follow. Yep, I do.

Lortz transports us back in the way the characters speak
Julie D.
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books written in the Regency period and if you add a good mystery to the mix, I'm hooked. This book has this and more. This book is the third in the Pevensey Series but I was never lost as to what was going on.

The author draws you into the story slowly and introduces you to the characters in a way that you feel you know them. I love the detail she has through her writing, too, because I truly felt as though I were there with the characters living their story with them.

I enjoyed the inter
« previous 1 3 next »
Rosanne E. Lortz ("Rose") loves the blend of history, fiction, romance, and mystery. She lives near Portland, Oregon with her husband and four boys. When she's not writing, she teaches Latin and English composition and works as an editor at Madison Street Publishing.

Pevensey Mysteries (3 books)
  • To Wed an Heiress (Pevensey Mysteries #1)
  • The Duke's Last Hunt (Pevensey Mysteries #2)