Start by marking “The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #7)” as Want to Read:
The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #7)

The Alamo Bride

(Daughters of the Mayflower #7)

A Series for Lovers of History, Adventure, Romance, and Ancestry

Will Ellis Lose All at the Alamo?
Ellis Dumont finds a man in New Orleans Grey unconscious on Dumont property in 1836. As his fevers rage, the man mutters strange things about treasures and war. Either Claiborne Gentry has lost his mind or he’s a spy for the American president—or worse, for the Mexican enemy t
Published February 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Alamo Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alamo Bride

Sarita
Having read The Pirate Bride where I adored Maribel, it was fun to read about her great-granddaughter, Ellis, who had a lot of the fun qualities I enjoyed in Maribel. Some of my favourite parts were interactions between her and her grandfather where her strong will came across in a humorousness way.

Clay, with his memory issues, was also an interesting male lead and I enjoyed the interaction between the two.

The author did a great job with describing the setting and there was a lot of action which
Staci
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
While The Alamo Bride didn't steal my heart like the author's prior book in the series The Pirate Bride, it was a well written story. I especially enjoyed the way the author painted a picture of the geography. I could easily visualize in my mind the setting.

Ellis is a lovely name and a compelling leading character. She has spunk and stubbornness like her grandmother along with a love for family and Texas.

This series continues to be such a wonderful journey through history. My gratitude to Barbou
Paula Shreckhise
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo is book seven in The Daughters of the Mayflower series from Barbour Publishing.

I have enjoyed these peeks into history. Each one of these stories is unique and I gleaned new information into these periods of history. I eagerly await the next books!

The Alamo Bride is very well written. Ms. Y’Barbo weaves a very believable story. There is the quandary of Clay Gentry, a New Orleans Grey soldier, who gets injured and loses his memory. He only knows he has a miss
Julie Carpenter
3.5*

I've enjoyed this Daughters of the Mayflower series a lot. I have two that I need to catch up on and am looking forward to them.

Kathleen Y'Barbo wrote a previous book in this series, The Pirate Bride. I thoroughly enjoyed it and her writing style. That was my first time reading a full length novel by this author. I did enjoy reading, The Alamo Bride, but it didn't capture my attention as much as, The Pirate Bride, did. It was fun though that the main character, Ellis, in this book was talked
Mary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Whatever else you know or do not know about yourself, you have the heart and mind of a hero.”
--Jean Paul Valmont to Clay Gentry

A tale of espionage, war, intrigue, hidden memories, and a feisty red head! This tale brings together beautiful, lively Ellis Valmont, a young woman from Texas, and Claiborne “Clay” Gentry, a member of the New Orleans Greys, a volunteer militia formed during the Texas War of Independence. As these two young people from disparate backgrounds work to piece Clay’s memory
Debby "Piene Raven"
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo is a historical romance that takes place during the time of the Alamo and is wonderfully Christian-based. It has a powerful message that deals with trusting and believing in God and trusting God when one is unsure of what the future holds.

I found the book hard to put down once I started. It is a well-written novel by this author and was filled with an abundance of history, action, drama with a tremendously lovely ending. Highly recommend the read.

I received a
Susan
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Y'Barbo's love for her home state shines through this wonderful addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series. The books in this series can be read as a stand alone and penned by several authors. Most of the story of the Alamo Bride is set away from the historic site, in the days leading up to the famous battle of Texas' fight for independence from Mexico.

While the historic details are definitely a part of the story, most of the story centers primarily around Ellis and her care for
Loraine
As an adopted Texan (I lived there for 32 years) and having taken a college class in Texas history, I appreciated the author's wonderful historical research on Texas' battle for independence. She brought the life and times of the Texians into a vivid picture that set the reader right there as it was all happening. She also pulled in some lesser known facts such as the New Orleans Greys role in the fight for independence.

My favorite character was Ellis. She was a strong, independent, feisty woma
Karen R
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The newest addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series has plenty of action, interesting history and courageous characters. The author does a thorough job of reminding readers of the family's history, connecting back to characters from her previous book in the series, The Pirate Bride. The introduction and historical notes at the end fill in the blanks about the real people and events mentioned in the text, showing her careful research. This made me curious and had me looking up names like ...more
Teresa
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo is book 7 in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. I've really enjoyed going on this journey through history with this series. All the books can be read as a stand alone but starting with The Mayflower Bride and working my way through history has been an adventure I have loved.

The Alamo Bride is not one of my favorites in the series but it was interesting to learn about different aspects of that time frame. I do wish there had been more of the actual Alamo a
Kelly Hodgkins
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, The Alamo is the first historical event in this amazing series, The Daughters of the Mayflower, of which I had preconceived ideas and, as such, I cracked The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo open with hesitation. If I could read with my eyes closed that would have been how I tackled this one. At the same time, I don’t like skipping a book in a series, and thank goodness I don’t, this one is a gem! Sit back and enjoy it with the knowledge that, despite it’s historic setting, the auth ...more
Bess
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 7th book in the multi-author series. I liked this one (a strong 3 stars). It's the greatest battle for Texas ever, the Alamo. As a Texan who has also sent several years in Louisiana, I'm a sucker for Southern history!
First, you meet Clay, a soldier looking to help the President when his memories fly out of his head after an attack. Enter Ellis, our lovely leading lady (alliteration!). She coaxes Clay back to help and together they single-handedly save the Alamo...no, wait...that's no
Erin
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

As background, I want to note that while I read Christian fiction fairly regularly, I do not consider myself a genre fan. I am first and foremost a reader of historical fiction and my interest colors my assessment of this story. This is not to say that I discount the novel’s incorporation of faith, just that I might not weight it as heavily as someone who is more invested in the religious aspects of Y’Barbo’s work.

The Alamo
Missy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and love each additional book in the series (I secretly hope they keep it going, I would love to see what an author does with the Civil War, WW I, and WW II, which are my favorite times). This was a solid 4.5 star read. But this one kept me wanting to read, even though I HAD to keep putting it down. This day job thing is just getting in the way.

This is a book about Ellis Valmont (the great-granddaughter to Maribel Cordoba and Jean Luc Valmont from Book 2) and Claiborne "Clay"
Kathryn at Book Ink Reivews
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A copy of this review can be found at Book Ink Reviews.

Thank you to NetGalley, Barbour Publishing, and Kathleen Y'Barbo for this free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Obviously, I am a sucker for The Daughters of the Mayflower series (MayflowerPirateCapturedPatriotCumberland, and Liberty) and Alamo was absolutely wonderful. A quick read, we meet a fiery, passionate, strong woman named Ellis. In a fun twist of fate, she ends up and saves Clay.

Clay is sweet, calm, and steady and the
Kelly Tyree
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Daughters of the Mayflower has been a great series and The Alamo Bride is a great addition to the series. What I love about each of the books is that they are so well written and they feature a strong woman who perseveres and finds love in the process.

In The Alamo Bride, Ellis Dumont finds a man in an officer's uniform shot on a boat on her property. She and her mother take care of him. Neither of them trust him because they are in a time of war when the Texians are facing the Mexicans.

Cla
Monique
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Alamo Bride is the seventh installment of the Daughters of the Mayflower series. I have had the privilege of reading the previous books, too, and I have developed a fondness for this series. Don’t worry, each book can be read seperately very well! Usually each book has all new characters, but this time the book went back to The Pirate Bride by the same author as this book, Kathleen Y’Barbo. Unfortunately that is the only book in this series I have not read, but that wasn’t a hindrance.

What
Scarlett
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for an ARC of this book! Release date - February 1, 2019

I definitely enjoyed this book, although it has been my least favorite so far in the series. While The Pirate Bride and The Liberty Bride, the other two I have read in this series, were still fluffy love stories, I felt like they had more depth and more exciting action. There was little to no action in The Alamo Bride, and the romance wasn’t that strong either, it was kind of obvious and not a lot
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it

"She had to believe him an enemy until he could prove himself a friend."

Hiding behind the shadows of obscurity, Clay Gentry is on a dangerous mission for his country, going undercover to deliver much needed funds to the Texans in their fight for independence from Mexico. His efforts have already been seriously thwarted, so he decides to capitalize on a family secret in order to prove himself trustworthy to his superiors; he just didn't plan on being shot and delivered to Ellis Valmont's
Amy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Alamo Bride is the seventh installment from the Daughters of the Mayflower series. I enjoyed this historical. It takes the reader back to the Texas Revolution in 1836. I loved Ellis from the start and admired her bravery and determination throughout.

I liked The Alamo Bride and am giving it four stars. I found it to be a good addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Looking forward to next installment from it.

I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a
Susan F
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kayla Tornello
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, giveaways
I loved the setting of this book in Texas, right before the Battle of the Alamo. The author did a great job of illustrating what daily life was like back then. The characters were all interesting. I particularly liked that the main female character, Ellis, was so strong and independent. The love story was very cute.

I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Yay!
Andrea Boyd
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This cover is gorgeous, isn't it?
Anyway, if you love history with lots of intrigue and detail, this is the book for you. A bit too much "telling" for my taste but otherwise the writing was good.
I did learn a lot about the history of Texas that I had no previous knowledge of, which is always great.
I was provided a copy by the publisher but as always, my opinions are my own.
Jeanie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The breathtaking sixth in the Daughters of the Mayflower multi-author series, The Alamo Bride is exciting and stirring. The historical research into Texas and the era is shared in a way that is fascinating, almost as if one is there. This is a beautifully-written Christian action and romance novel that fits well into the series and can easily be read as a standalone.

Ellis Valmont loves living in Texas, even though she could have enjoyed family wealth in New Orleans. She is happy with her life as
Perrianne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very historically rich story that builds slowly with the departure of Claiborne “Clay” Gentry from New Orleans as a “Grey soldier” to Velasco in what would later become Texas territory. A cryptic note from his grandfather after his death hinted at vast wealth to be used for something other than himself. The location of the riches are to be memorized, and the note destroyed. So he sets out to join the New Orleans Greys in order to obtain and use the funds in the fight against Mexico.
Ell
Phyllis
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Friend or foe?

My rating is 3.5 stars

I was very excited to read this story as I have really enjoyed the others in the series. The history in them along with the adventures and sweet romance. . .

When Ellis discovered Clay, she feared he was dead. Upon discovering he still lived, she and her mother used their knowledge of healing herbs to bring him back to health. I liked the Ellis and Clay. She was very opinionated and determined (read that stubborn) and he was heroic even in his weakened conditio
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, netgalley, barbour
Since Kathleen Y’Barbo wrote “The Pirate Bride”, book 2 in The Daughters of the Mayflower series, it is also fitting that she penned “The Alamo Bride”, as there are direct connections between some of the characters. Although I mention this in most of my reviews for this series, it is worth echoing; each book in this series contains a solid plotline that allows it to stand on its own, yet with some mention of previous characters, and the series never feels formulaic. Each contains a romance, but ...more
Emma
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo
(Daughters of the Mayflower)
A Series for Lovers of History, Adventure, Romance, and Ancestry
Will Ellis Lose All at the Alamo?
Ellis Valmont finds a man in New Orleans Grey unconscious on Dumont property in 1836. As his fevers rage, the man mutters strange things about treasures and war. Claiborne Gentry has lost his mind or he’s a spy for the American president—or worse, for the Mexican enemy that threatens their very lives. With the men of her family away, Ell
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so enamoured with this series by Barbour Publishing! Each book in the series has captured my love of historical romance; the attention to historical detail and character development by each of the authors is stunning.

The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo is equal to the task of capturing my imagination with the intrepid Ellis Dumont. When Ellis finds a seriously injured man, she and her mother nurse the man back to health. So serious were his injuries, the unconscious stranger muttered the s
Anne
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Alamo Bride is set in 1835 Texas, a time of great turmoil and tension. Clay Gentry is a New Orleans Grey on a perilous mission for the president when he becomes wounded and ends up under the care of Ellis Valmont, a young woman training to be a healer under her mother’s supervision. Ellis is the great-granddaughter of Maribel Cordoba from The Patriot Bride.

The historical details are precise and brought this time in history alive with intricate descriptions of settings, clothing, mannerisms a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #6)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #5)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • The Immigrant Brides Collection
  • The Yellow Packard
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • Mail-Order Marriage: 5 Historical Stories of Marriage Arranged by Letters Between Strangers
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)
  • One Thing I Know
  • Seven Brides for Seven Mail-Order Husbands
  • Stitched with Love Collection
  • The Lieutenant's Bargain (Fort Reno, #2)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Honor Redeemed (Keys of Promise, #2)
  • The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings #1)
  • A Bound Heart
  • Sincerely Yours
  • Taken for English (Valley of Choice #3)
Bestselling author Kathleen Y’Barbo is a multiple Carol Award and RITA nominee of more than eighty novels with almost two million copies in print in the US and abroad.

A tenth-generation Texan and certified paralegal, she has been nominated for a Career Achievement Award as well a Reader’s Choice Award and is the winner of the Inspirational Romance of the Year by Romantic Times magazine.

To connec

Daughters of the Mayflower (9 books)
  • The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #1)
  • The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #2)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #3)
  • The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #4)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #5)
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #6)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #9)