Start by marking “Just Read!” as Want to Read:
Just Read!

Just Read!

These kids all love to read—alone or together, on a bus or in a parade. And every time they open a book, they open up a whole new world, too!

“A delightful tribute to reading anything and everything all the time. . . . There’s something for everyone.” —Booklist
“A chipper, colorful celebration of the limitless possibilities for what, where, and when one can read.” —
Published March 5th 2019 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Just Read!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Read!

Start your review of Just Read!
Jillian Heise
This is the picture book of my teacher/librarian reader heart. All of my #nerdybookclub friends are going to want this one. The of reading shines through. ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
We librarians and teachers and readers love books like Just Read; this book puts into words all the ways we love to read, all the places we love to read, and all the things we love to read. It’s a book-about-books for all who love to read, for all who want to share that love with others.
Michele Knott
What a beautiful ode to the power of books and reading! Books can accompany you when you need someone there. Books can take you places far and near. Even when you don't have a book, you can find things to read. Reading can happen anywhere - just bring a book and find those quick moments to read.
Accompanied by Tentler-Krylov's gorgeous watercolor illustrations, this book speaks to a reader's heart and makes you want to curl up with a book... now!
I can see this book being used at the beginning of
Maria Caplin
Opening reading workshop with this book - perfect introduction and great questions. Where and what do we read about? Opened ended questions and illustrations are as powerful as the words. Read about the author and illustrator.
Lily
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Getting this for my nephew because I am forcing him to be a reader!

Also: why was this children's book $19?!? I almost had a heart attack at the check out, since I wouldn't spend that much on a book for myself. But, hey, that's ok.*
*not super okay, but I'm making peace.
Cassie Thomas
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this message so much! First week of school.
Lilith Day
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title says it all. This book is about reading. A way to encourage young children to read.

Reading can be done anywhere and with anyone. Reading can even be done using a secret code. Indoors and outdoors there is no end to where you can read. The best part, when it all over, just pick up the book and read again.

This book is great because it encourages children to keep on reading. The text is accompanied by amazing illustrations. They are filled with rich color and details. A fun way to
N.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wildly imaginative illustrations show people of all ages reading from books and devices (even a book in Braille) and a variety of places to encourage children to read anywhere. A diverse cast of readers make Just Read perfect for any young reader.
Mary Lee
A love song to reading. B+ for representation in the illustrations (and for the little stories there that exist outside the text). Plenty of black and mixed race kids, spotlight on an Asian kid, random kid-in-wheelchair in the playground scene, no hijabs, no obvious family diversity (unless you count all the moms dealing with one or more kids on their own).
Laurie
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 Stars

This should be added to every library's collection, as we can't have too many children's books that celebrate reading. I liked how the text and the illustrations depicted reading in all kinds of ways and places, and I particularly appreciated the inclusion of braille and sign language.

I was a bit disappointed that after the opening lines, "I know how to read on my own! But sometimes I don't want to do it alone..."the book didn't follow up with a statement or image of adults continuing
Andria Rosenbaum
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With lively, colorful illustrations and wonderful rhyming text, this book will make kids hungry for reading! The illustrations burst with life as many, different children find joy in books of all types --including braille. Sure to become a story time favorite!
Stacy  Natal
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A book to celebrate the joy of reading, my students were a little ho hum about it.
Tonja Drecker
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just Read! is a celebration of reading, which demonstrates that reading can be done anywhere, everywhere, and invites fantasy in even the most unlikely places.

The title sums up the book nicely. Every page is dedicated to the act of reading, and young listeners are taken through a colorful and exciting display of how versatile reading can be. Following a gentle rhyme, the text flows in an easy to understand way, while still making the situations clear. The locations where a book can be read are
Jana
Learning how to read is exciting for many youngsters, but there is so much competition for attention from tablets, video games, social media, etc. Young readers need encouragement to shut out some of the distractions and learn how to enjoy time spent reading. As a teacher, I was always looking for ways to provide kids with time to choose their own books and READ! This awesome picture book uses bouncy, rhyming text and gorgeous illustrations that have a rich, retro feel to them to celebrate all ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Just Read! by Lori Degman, illustrated by Victoria Tentler-Krylov. PICTURE BOOK Sterling Children’s Books, 2019. $17. 9781454925729

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This book covers all of the different ways a reader can enjoy reading. Reading is fun, but if you don’t want to do it alone you can enjoy it with the characters in your book or animals that you are learning about. You can use reading to decipher signs and learn about new places. There are different ways
Sarah O'Brien
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott
“Just Read!” by Lori Degman illustrated by Victoria Tentler-Krylov is a picture book about all the different types of ways to read. The book talks about reading with astronauts, knights, clowns, a tortoise and anything else found in a book. Reading can be done anywhere like in the car, on a train, vegetable aisles, and in the rain. The book mentions being able to read bumpy lines or language using signs. This is a great way to include a diverse group of readers. Not only does this book encourage ...more
Taryn Grant
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose Just Read mostly for the illustrations, I’ll be honest. I love the watercolor work throughout the book and I also love the diversity represented in the pages. I think this book would make a grade read at the start of the year for a second or third grade classroom. It is a great book to motivate readers, highlight the importance of reading, but also just to hyper focus on those readers who always have their nose in a book whenever they have a spare moment. I think it could also be used as ...more
Janet Squires
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just Read! by Lori Degman with illustrations by Victoria Tentler-Krylov is a charming celebration of the joy to be found in reading and an enthusiastic reminder of the amazing ways in which readers are able to explore a world outside their own.
“I read things that scare me or cause me to grin.
I read about places where I’ve never been.”

An energetic rhyming text enumerates the many times, places, and ways in which diverse characters find opportunities to read.
“I read with my fingers across bumpy
Eileen Meyer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Children's author Lori Degman has penned a love letter to reading with this sweet picture book! Her rhyming couplets celebrate the joy of reading, imagination and discovery. Victoria Tentler-Krylov's illustrations are gorgeous and showcase diverse readers in many different situations. Every child can find a connection here - whether you like to curl up with a good book at night, read from a screen while on the go, or sneak a few pages of a book while riding on the subway, you can find yourself ...more
Castle Spooktacular
Endearing, thoughtful, and visually stunning! A good reminder that we all read in our own way, at our own pace, and on our own terms. I liked how it was culturally inclusive and covered so many aspects of interacting with literacy in our world, not necessarily just with books. Visually, it was a real treat to get lost in, the compositions and coloration were downright dreamy. By far some of the best illustrations that I've seen in a children's book so far this year! A real triumph with a great ...more
Sara Magnafichi
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any #nerdybookclub fan is going to LOVE this sweet story about all the wonders and magic of reading! This is the perfect time of year to read this to children, as a new school year begins. It is PERFECT for kicking off reader's workshop routines and why readers read. Lori's rhythmic pattern makes it so much fun to read aloud! What a great way to show kids that the magic of reading can take place anywhere, anytime, and by anyone! Highly recommend! (The watercolor pictures are so much fun to look ...more
J.L. Slipak
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

Book nerds beware! You will want this book for your bookish collection! The message is you can read anywhere, anytime… everywhere! There are beautiful, vibrant and colorful illustrations depicting people of all ages reading.

This is an encouraging book aimed at young readers supporting reading/literacy for all ages. Libraries should carry this book. Perfectly rhyming sentences add a fun and creative aspect to the story.

Another book
Katey Howes
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a lively, creative celebration of the many places, ways and reasons to read. Vibrant, detailed illustrations depicting diverse children and adults add lots of visual interest to the clever rhyming text. Readers will find themselves between the covers - and will also discover new ways to enjoy reading! Sure to become a favorite of librarians, classroom teachers, parents and kids!
Jared White
A celebration of reading wherever you are! This book not only has great racial diversity but also mentions reading sign language and braille, which is pretty cool.

The pictures are large and bright, so it could work for a group, but there's also quite a few details so reading to one or two would be great as well.
Ariel
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book enthusiastically celebrates the joy of reading as it shows different people reading in all kinds of situations - in usual spots like under a tree or on a bus, but also in the grocery store and on swings. The love for reading is shown in the delightful rhyme, and bright, engaging illustrations. Perfect for discussing how wonderful books are!
Deana Metzke
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute book that I could see being used to inspire your own children who have just started to read independently, or to inspire a whole class to imagine all the places they could go as they become readers. I wrote about this book more on my blog, https://raisingreaders.site/2019/09/1...
Jenna Grodzicki
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lori Degman's Just Read! is a celebration of all the ways we can enjoy reading. Whether you're reading alone or with a friend, about a clown or a shark, on a bus or in a park, reading is an activity that can be done anywhere, at anytime, with anyone. This is a must-have for all of the readers in your life!
Margaret Boling
7/6/2019 ~ Definitely a book for teachers/librarians - an excellent book to start the school year with a discussion of reading identities & habits. I really enjoyed the range of races/ethnicities represented in the characters. This is a book to read multiple times - you'll notice something different in the illustrations each time. Will kids choose it independently? I'm not sure.
Nicole
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just Read is a picture book with vivid watercolor like illustrations. Victoria Tentler-Krylov’s bold and illustrations draw the eyes of the reader to the pages. The simple rhyming lines are easy to read and to understand. It flows so well! Lori Degman encourages children to read. They can read on their own or read with someone by their side. They can read with many characters such as a pirate, penguin or bear. They explore new and different places. Children can read anywhere and at any time ...more
Austin Hall
Got this book to give to my nephew for his 1st birthday in a few weeks. Having read, I'm going to have to get a copy for use in the classroom. It contains a great message about how there is no one way to read. All you need to do is...Just Read!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Crayon Man: the True Story of the Invention of Crayola Crayons
  • Because
  • The Book Hog
  • Where Are You From?
"Lori Degman is a teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing by day and a children's book author by night, weekend, and school holiday. She writes in rhyme, most of the time - but not always!

Lori is the award-winning author of:
1 Zany Zoo (Simon & Schuster in 2010) - An Illinois Reads Book Selection; winner of the Cheerios New Author Contest and Mom's Choice Award.

Cock-a-Doodle Oops! (Creston Books,