Start by marking “The Edge Of Sanity” as Want to Read:
The Edge Of Sanity

The Edge Of Sanity

In a derelict squat, the Smart Man watches as the new narcotic developed by his shadowy organisation wreaks havoc on its unsuspecting victims. The drug is now ready for sale on their exclusive darknet market place.

Paperback
Published August 20th 2018 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Edge Of Sanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge Of Sanity

Lou
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahh, now this was a book perfectly suited to me - deliciously dark, disturbing and violent. If you like your crime thrillers gripping and brutal, pick this one up! You certainly won't regret it! 'The Edge of Sanity' is Chris Thomas's second novel, the first being another dark affair entitled 'Enter The Dark' (previously self-published as 'The Red Room'). Both are enthralling psychological thrillers, and although it isn't essential you read them in chronological order, much of the characters back ...more
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the authors second book and yet another dark and disturbing read. I personally do think readers will benefit from having read, Enter The Dark, the authors first novel as it features some of the characters and gives you more of an insight into the Cyber Crimes Unit as well as the dark web which I think is important to this story.

To start with the story felt a bit like a horror film. I don't want to go into to much detail but the affects that the new drug has on people was pretty horrific
Nigel
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Although he doesn't feature immediately I guess the lead character in this book is Pete Harris. He was previously with the Police's Cyber Crimes Unit. His departure (and that of others in the unit) would appear to have been covered by the previous book in this series. While I think this can be read standalone I think the reader will get more out of it if they read the earlier book first.

The opening chapter was dark, nasty and interesting. A designer drug is tested on two unsuspecting drug addict
Claire
The Brotherhood of the Righteous is back!!! But not as you know it! If you’ve not read Enter The Dark, I highly recommend it but you can read The Edge Of Sanity as a stand alone as Mr Thomas feeds you enough through the book to catch up.

This novel kicks off with a couple of shocking chapters which set the scene for the rest of the book. The drug the Smart Man is testing has extreme effects right from the start and as the Professor varies the tests on his “pigs” the effects change in a scary way.
Col
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, t
Synopsis/blurb.....

In a derelict squat, the Smart Man watches as the new narcotic developed by his shadowy organisation wreaks havoc on it, unsuspecting victims. The drug is now ready for sale on their exclusive darknet marketplace.

Elsewhere, DCI Robert Smith, the retired head of the Cyber Crimes Unit, seeks out crime boss Curtis Slater at his remote farm. He offers to provide Slater with information in exchange for money. But what information is he offering?

Meanwhile, former detective Pete Harr
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed the author’s previous book so I was delighted when I saw that this one was being released – I had read it within hours of downloading it to my Kindle – couldn’t resist!!

I loved the plot line, but just a warning it was quite gruesome and graphic in a few places and that won’t be liked by everyone, but for me I loved it!

The characters were great and I loved their interaction and the suspense that built up, it was certainly a gripping story a
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Firstly, I would recommend you read Enter The Dark as the characters from that book at recurring in this one and you may miss out on some of the background if you don’t read it!

The Edge of Sanity is another dark read, with elements of violence and drug abuse. In this one there’s a new drug being marketed but only to the wealthiest cartels, and the dark web is where to be if you want to get your hands on it.

This new drug is volatile, and it has some horrific effects on the users. It is extreme an
Annette
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Enter The Dark and this is a great follow up, I did get a little bogged down in the middle but then it jumped back up and grabbed my attention, I definitely think that the books should be read in order to get the full gist of the story.
The Cats Mother
This is the sequel to "Enter the Dark" although they are not linked as such on here. I recommend reading that first, as the plot does follow on and a lot of the character's motivations would make a lot more sense. This is another dark and twisted story about bad people doing horrendous things to other bad people, although in this one some of the victims were guilty only of being hopeless drug addicts, and did not deserve what happened to them, unlike the first book, where the victims were often ...more
Jessica Letizia
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This book doesn’t waste any time jumping right in. I had no idea where it was going but I knew I was along for the ride. Pitting the lone good guy ex-cop against drug lord Curtis Slater, the Brotherhood of the Righteous and the Majestic Road, The Edge of Sanity is a dark tale of revenge, societal cleansing and what the singular moral compass in all of this will do to rescue his daughter. A continuation of his debut novel Enter the Dark, although you could read this as a stand-alone if you chose, ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Happy Publication Day! WOW! What a dark, brutal, disturbing and gorey story. The Edge of Sanity will have your stomach turning in parts. This story is action packed with drugs, money, torture and death.

I love the cover of this book! I enjoyed the story, a real page turner that you won’t want to put down. I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.

A look into the dark side of the drug trading community. The story is written well, easy to read and contains short chapters. I awarde
Diane Hogg
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chris Thomas has written another fantastic psychological thriller The Edge of Sanity, a follow up to Enter the Dark, and damn does Chris do his newest psychological thriller justice, hell yeah!

The Edge of Sanity is a cold, calculating psychological thriller, where the darkness begins to engulf you from the first page, the demise of socially deprived unknowns, opens up the first stages of the puzzle, a new drug with an intense purpose and a high price to pay. Chris takes us back to the Dark Web,
Susan Hampson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would say to anyone that is going to read this book please start with Enter the Dark, Chris Thomas’s first novel. So many characters have carried over into this story from the first book so you will have a greater understanding of who belonged to which group and what they actually did. Besides which it is a belting read too. The original cast of characters had disbanded and settled into new lives but there is someone who has been well and truly festering away because of the outcome of the last ...more
Livia Sbarbaro
A read that will take you to a place where monsters exist....

This story begins at a remote farm with the now retired DCI Robert Smith once head of The Cyber Crimes Unit doing a deal with a crime boss Curtis Slater..But when you deal with the Devil you sometimes get burnt..and from here this story gets more and more dark.Pete Harris has a new life now away from Cyber Crimes..He runs a guest house on an Island ,living with his daughter Olivia..When Grace comes to visit him whilst his daughter is a
Michelle Ryles
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys-read
Wow! What an amazing follow up to Enter the Dark. I didn't think it was possible, but The Edge of Sanity is even more gruesome in places and Chris Thomas made my stomach clench yet again. You could definitely read The Edge of Sanity as a standalone but it's well worth reading Enter the Dark to understand the background of some of the characters and to fully experience 'The Red Room' that is touched upon in this book.

There is a lot going on in this book which really helped to hold my interest; fr
Nicki Southwell
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thia exciting book has left me a bit stumped for words. Running through my mind are rich, greedy, evil, manipulative etc.......... the biggest one MEGALOMANIA.

The professor is in his element. He can now experiment without worrying about money, ethics and anything else, to produce the vilest leisure drug ever produced. Even better is the fact that his trials are run with human beings, so he and Smartman are aiming high. The world is their oyster. Brainfood is born.

A now disbanded Metropolitan Pol
Jessica Bronder
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Edge of Sanity we return to the dark net. The Smart Man and Professor has created a new drug and are testing it out on the dark net to get people interested. But buyers have to pass a series of puzzles to be able to get to the drug.

Then you have Pete Harris. He has retired and living with his daughter and working on a relationship with Grace Brooks. That is until he is drug back to the dark web when Olivia and Grace are kidnapped and he has to play the game to get them back.

This is a dar
Gerry Driver
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edge of Sanity follows on from Chris Thomas's debut - Enter the Dark - where he delves into the dark web with the Cyber Crimes Unit. It would certainly help to read the books in order if you have little knowledge of such matters, but also to grasp the complexity of the characters and organisations. This time around our hero Pete Harris, a former CCU cop gets dragged back into the murky world of organised cybercrime. The opening where a new designer drug is tested is particularly grim - for those ...more
Loraine Philliban
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow Chris Thomas definitely grabbed my attention with this book and kept me riveted to my seat.
The Smart Man and the Professer operate within the dark web developing and demonstrating new recreational drugs for the world's biggest/nastiest drug cartels.
Without giving too much away former police officers and their families become embroiled in this scenario and the result is exciting, disturbing, harrowing,blood thirsty, gory ..............
Not for the feint hearted but absolutely the most excitin
John
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read Enter the Dark, the book that precedes this in the story, but I enjoyed The Edge of Sanity in its own right as a standalone.
Not for the faint-hearted and the Edge of Sanity had me on the edge of my seat.
Slater, a very powerful mobster for me was the most convincing character of the book although it has to be said that all of Chris Thomas's characters had a lot of substance to them.
It was an interesting story and I was not disappointed with the ending.
Chris Nolan
Very much a 21st century crime novel with its references to bitcoin and the Dark Web. this is a well-written and cleverly thought-out story but the wealth of characters and uncertainty as to who was who and what was what left me ultimately unsatisfied.
Randee Strand
The first book blew me away! I was really hoping this would be as good as the first one. It just didn’t live up to the standards of Enter The Dark. It was ok, but a bit of a disappointment.
MISS T LEWIS
Sep 05, 2018
Swetha Mårtensson
rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2018