Start by marking “My [Secret] YouTube Life” as Want to Read:
My [Secret] YouTube Life

My [Secret] YouTube Life

What if your favourite YouTuber’s life was a lie?
What if you were the one to expose it?

YouTuber LilyLoves has an amazing life: a rockstar boyfriend, a totally Insta-worthy London flat and a collection of beauty products that seems to grow daily (thanks, PO Box).

Sixteen-year-old Melissa’s life is way less amazing – LilyLoves is the only thing getting her through it. She’s
Published August 9th 2018 by Macmillan Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about My [Secret] YouTube Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My [Secret] YouTube Life

Start your review of My [Secret] YouTube Life
Janay Brazier
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this entire book in one day, mostly in one sitting. I think the main reason I seemed to whizz through this book was because the chapters were short and split between the two characters, so it was very easy to think "oh, just one more chapter" and before you know it you've read ten more chapters! I loved the concept of this book, the storyline was fantastic. YouTube and social media is such a prominent part life today that I'm surprised there aren't more books like this. I also really ...more
Liv
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book I din't know I needed. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the world of social media and forget what is real and actually in front of you. Charlotte Seager's writing style is exquisite she portrays 2 different women discovering their way through life while showing you how social media can take a toll on your life.

I cannot recommend this book enough and can't wait to see what Charlotte writes next
Karen Barber
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
For anyone who has ever doubted the influence social media has on us/our mental health, this is a must-read. Told through alternating viewpoints, it forces us to take a moment to consider the extent to which we pander to an idealised notion of our lives and the need to affirm our sense of self through the responses of others.
Lily is a YouTube sensation. Initially a vlogger who gave make-up tutorials from her bedroom, she’s become a brand. Her life is dominated by the need to chronicle what she’s
Shijia
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves

I finished this in a day...

So this is a story told from two different perspectives. On one hand we have Lily Henshaw- a famous YouTuber and makeup guru. Her life is perfect to her audience and her and Bryan are apparently #couplegoals. but nobody really knows the truth- her life is falling apart.

On the other hand, we have Melissa Davies- a schoolgirl who wants her life to go from boring to something more. She's been watching Lily's vlogs for NINE YEARS. So she starts to fake her life online
Jules.Bookverse
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I must say I am positively surprised by this book!

I got this book last year wrapped up as a mystery book, so I had no clue about this book and I admit it wasn't a top priority to read for me. Now I've finally come around to read this book and noticed I actually like this story.

Usually, I'm not for stories of obsessed fangirls as I myself am rather thrown back when it comes to celebrity crushed and all. Don't get me wrong I am a fangirl myself for characters, actors/actresses, books, authors,
Joanna
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Quick, easy read about the perils of social media. Kept me interested, although I did not especially connect with any of the characters, because I don't share their obsession with social media. I love my Instagram, and I have a blog, but I truly, honestly don't care about how many likes I get, and I don't even know off the top of my head how many followers I have. 100-ish? I guess I'm just old.
Jack Oughton
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite being associated with blogging for quite a while now, I lacked an insight into the world of female lifestyle/beauty/fashion blogs. Obviously, this is a fictionalised narrative - and not exactly 'high brow' reading, nevertheless I found myself learning a few things, and immersed from start to end, finishing it in 2 days.

The way that story is told from two narratives helps to keep things interesting, and the way that one of the main characters evolves from a somewhat mercenary beauty
CherryCarrot
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Luna
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I requested this book because it looked fun but it actually was a lot deeper than that.

Lily of LilyLoves the famous Youtube channel seemingly has the perfect life. Sponsors, makeup lines inspired by her, a cute boyfriend and an amazing London flat, not to mention three million subscribers. But behind the camera, Lily is buckling under the pressure. There's launches and the constant content she has to produce - everyone is relying on her. Not to mention her boyfriend isn't actually the most
Lawrence Wakefield
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While much of the mainstream media bickers over what the price of a cauliflower will be after Brexit, the attention of most young people is instead consumed by social media channels – on which they present their ideal selves to their friends and public. This is the space in which Seager's epoch-defining novel operates.

If it were written for adults, it would be serialised in the New Statesman, be made into an episode of Black Mirror, and described by the Guardian as "Orwellian... the most
Bev
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
YouTubers/Instagrammers hold such sway with young girls now with their seemingly perfect lives and happy Mills and Boon like relationships but do we ever get to see the real story - the people behind the carefully constructed facade? Melissa, one of the dual main protagonists in this story, is almost obsessed by her favourite YouTube star, Lily, and wants to have a life just like hers. The only way to do this however is to bend the truth a little and create a different persona , neglecting her ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lily is a Youtube vlogger who goes by the name LilyLoves

However her life isnt perfect as she deals with her drunk boyfriend who's a wannabe rock star who treats her badly.

Then there's Issa, a follower of Lily whom wants her so called perfect life for herself, only to be forcing it to happen and it doesn't in the way she dreams as she uses others photo's on her blog to enhance her life to the online world to have startling friendship consequences for her.

When Lily and Issa see each other, a
Rachel
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vlogging is part of the world within which we now live and it was the blurb of this book which drew me in. We are introduced to Ruby, a girl and Vlogger, who is worshipped by millions. Having made a name for herself within her world, Ruby suddenly disappears, her parents have no idea where she is, she is out of contact and event Dan, the errant boyfriend is clueless (in all senses of the word) has no idea where she is.

The disappearance of Ruby brings in DI Kate Riley and Zain Harris, her
allbooksnoheart
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book take two looks at the online world- the successfu youtuber and the aspiring teenager. Both characters, despite the differing points in their lives, find that their lives online and what is happening in brickspace are two very different things. For LilyLoves it has become the pressure of an often frighteningly overwhelming fanbase and the need to show an idealised version of her life to maintain a positive outlook- even if it's stressing her out to the point of breakdown. On the other ...more
Katie Hurse
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
The last 10% of this is far better than the other 90, sadly. In that last 10, you can see exactly what the whole book is trying (and kinda failing) to educate about, and you see some decent character development. The rest of the time, I did find Lily's perspective very interesting, especially as it turns that whole 'YouTube celebrity' lifestyle on its head but to me both Lily and Melissa felt so naive and immature and frustrated me so often whilst reading. Melissa in particular, gave no ...more
Overlady
Jan 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
The story is split into 2 narratives. That of a youtuber, and of a fan.

Melissa is more than a fan, she's absolutely obsessed. She's thinking about Lily during every single moment of her day. I found her to be a very cringey and an unlikable character. She acts like she's 12.

On the other hand I quite enjoyed reading about Lily. All her struggles of being a Youtuber.

Generally speaking though it's a very weak title. A bit too melodramatic for my taste.
The secret" part wasn't a surprise at all...
The
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I know there are a lot of girls (and women) who get so caught up in the Image that they lose sight of reality. And I can truly believe that the events in this novel could actually happen. But boy, I wanted to shake some sense into Issa and give Lily a good talking to!

3.5 out of 5 stars, really, but I've upped it to 4. I personally have no interest in vlogs or blogs or instagrams or any of that stuff, nor am I bothered about make-up and style, etc., etc., but I found this story engaging and a
Caroline
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun read with an important message inside. I watch a lot of youtube myself but don't follow any of the youtube 'personalities', I am very aware of the power and influence they can have though.
This book comes from 2 different viewpoints; the very popular youtuber with millions of followers who is stretching the truth a little to keep up the 'perfect life' facade and then the girl who desperately wants to be like her and will go to any lengths to gain more followers.
I thought this book
Anna
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe my rating is a bit harsh for I guess I am at least twice as old as the intended reader...

Anyway, this book has a heart in the right place, but it definitely could have fleshed out its characters a little more.
It does sound true and has a really good message, but is written in a simplistic way. I guess. Or maybe it’s the age thing.
Debra
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
What a sneaky book this is! I chose it thinking it would suit our reluctant readers at school, anything that says YouTube on it is like a magnet to students. The blurb reads well so I won't repeat it here, suffice to say it is well written, has a plausible plot and I actually think the author gets inside teenagers' heads really well. What a nice surprise this was.
Clara
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge YouTube fan and spend more hours than I should watching vlogs etc. so a book based on YouTube and influencers is right up my street. This book did not disappoint and really gave an insight into the somewhat 'fake' life of social media.
Jenni
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the message of the book. Something that all teenagers who should watch YouTube should read - very eye opening.
Wika_385
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is interesting. It's story about 2 girls. The book shows, how are YouTubers really.
Loraine
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting drama, easy to read
Em
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, easy to read and contains a good message.
Jacqueline Olson
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I must say this was an interesting read. I would love to read more books in this format.
Kyra
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
confusing, but cool
Gemma Craig
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Although I got frustrated with some of the things Melissa was doing in her chapters, it was really interesting to think about Lily and how, while Youtubers might seem to have a picture perfect life, that isn’t always the case!
Shanice Singh
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-books
YouTube beauty vlogger, Lily has the most perfect life. Perfect home, perfect boyfriend, countless sponsorships and a book deal.
Atleast that is the way it looks on the outside. Lily is constantly under pressure to look perfect and is stressed and anxious all the time. Her perfect home doesn't belong to her and her boyfriend might be cheating on her.
Sixteen-year-old lifestyle blogger, Melissa is Lily's biggest fan and has a less perfect life. No perfect London apartment, no perfect boyfriend and
Ellie Scott-Allen
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-not-owned
I feel like you could just @ Zoella or Gabbie Hana for this one....

Interesting but quite a superficial look at YouTube and social media.

• Najcenniejszy podarunek
  • Floored
  • Erebos 2 (Erebos, #2)
  • La femme qui ne vieillissait pas
  • YouTube: Online Video and Participatory Culture
  • The Beach House (The Kissing Booth, #1.5)
  • YouTube for Dummies
  • YouTube
  • Streampunks: YouTube and the Rebels Remaking Media
  • 435 Simple YouTube Video Ideas
  • YouTube: The 2018 Essential Guide to Grow Your YouTube Channel, Make Money Fast with Proven Secret Techniques and Foolproof Strategies (YouTube Marketing, ... Channel, YouTube, YouTube for Beginners)
  • YouTube Success Formula: 31 Proven Tactics For Increasing Your YouTube Subscribers, Views, and Money (Youtube, Passive Income, YouTube Channel, YouTube ... for Beginners, YouTube Marketing Book 1)
  • Horyzont
  • Lolek
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Z ciszy
  • Tell Me No Lies (Follow Me Back #2)
  • Von Sternen gekrönt (One True Queen, #1)