Start by marking “Portals (Into The Galaxy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Portals (Into The Galaxy Book 1)

Portals (Into The Galaxy Book 1)

The world sees the portals as an invasion. For Lysa, they're an invitation.

The portals appeared without warning. Every thirteen minutes they take a thousand humans, leaving exact duplicates in their place. Now, chaos reigns and no one is sure anyone is still the person they knew. Whoever is sending the portals has destroyed human society without firing a shot.

Not every
Published July 5th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Portals, please sign up.
Ann Christy Portals will be available as a Kindle ebook on July 10, 2018!

Start your review of Portals (Into The Galaxy Book 1)
Aletia
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love.

Ann Christy always writes so vividly. With this particular story she introduces us to different ways of seeing, or, viewing ourselves/our world. I SO wish this was a book with photographs, because I would absolutely love to see what she has painted for us with her words. It may not be an action packed story, but you get something new with every paragraph. The worlds she has invented, and the story she has written, is absolutely unique. And I believe it to be utterly beautiful.

As a hu
Lissette
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if you were presented with an unexpected choice? Would you take it and see where it leads you? This is a thought Lysa has considered from the moment the portals began popping up on Earth. Most people think the portals signify an upcoming invasion. Others believe it's a sign the world is ending. For her, it's a means in discovering an entirely differently world.

Ann Christy is the type of author whose story draws you in from the get-go. I love her ease of storytelling. She presents us with a
Shawn Mcvay
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written start to a saga

An invasion that is not an invasion at all, one scared girl trying to adjust who can save the planet if she does.
Norma
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life, above all, is my purpose."
Seventeen years old Lysa was in class at school when the first breaking news came of the mysterious window which had suddenly appeared, disgorging a man, exact twin of a bystander. The newcomer had seized his double, thrown him into the multicoloured swirling from which he had stepped, threw him into it and just walked away. The portal closed with a pop. "It's a magic trick" was the first reaction. But it wasn't. Soon, reports of similar recurrences were being re
Jim Garrison
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Baked to perfection

Ann says that this book took two years to write. The quality of the story and writing reflects the authors hand. While it is targeted to a young adult audience, this 70 year old enjoyed it all the same. Well worth the money and time to read it. I look forward to the sequel.
Teri Miller
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this story, the first in this series.

I'm a little ticked that my first review disappeared. Maybe I can revive it. Trust me, this story is worth your time!
Mike
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great read!
Stephen Nesbit
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story, great characters.

While Lisa is the main character, I found that Jack shined just as bright. By the time the end of the book rolled around I was pretty bummed that there were no more pages to read!!

This was a very enjoyable book , and pretty unique. Hope the sequel arrives soon.
paul natale Natale
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction with a twist

Really enjoyed the story. Not your usual science fiction. Part I enjoyed the most was that there were 3 main characters who were well developed with a few minor characters. This allowed the author to truly get into the characters themselves.
Harry Neuhardt
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting with full disclosure; the author provided me an advance copy of this book in exchange for a review. No restrictions on the nature of the review were expressed or implied.
Portals is the title and the Portals are a passageway to ….where. More to the point, why? Ann Christy doesn't bother with the how of the portals but the why gives her a Heinlein-like opportunity to examine our presumptions by taking them out of context. That's a big bite of the literary apple and one she handles well. D
Leisel
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice unexpected find from author Ann Christy. A easy read but certainly left me with some great questions about what if this could happen! Sorry don't want to give out any spoilers for any readers, but can say you will find it hard to stop reading. The story revolves around the main character Lysa and her attitude of wanting to see the positive whilst the rest of society is bent on seeing the portals as a negative. Does the human race deserve to be saved? Interesting theme used too, i ...more
Chris In Texas
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book! Ann Christy has never let me down, and this is my favorite book of hers to date. The author has an amazing ability to get the reader invested in her characters right out of the gate, and having just met Lysa, I cannot wait to read book two once it's published. As always, well written, funny, intelligent, and emotionally impactful (that ending, wow..) This book also interestingly touches on the question of "what is sentience?" One character's interpretation of it might surpr ...more
Gene
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun book with lots to think about. Good characterization & action without any dragging sections. ...more
KHB
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read.

Many thanks to the author for providing an advanced copy of this book.

As a hard science fiction fan, I had my reservations whether the story line of this series would work for me, but I know Ann Christy to be an talented story teller as I've read every book she's written and have yet to be disappointed.

This is a great story with a strong female character. The author has captured the mind of a 17 year old perfectly and how confusing they would be to an alien race (or anyone else for th
Debbie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! There is nothing at all about this story that I didn't love. As always, Ann's characters are varied and distinctly individual. Lysa is a realistic teenager, albeit a very smart one, facing a unique situation. I've got to say, though, I think the alien characters are terrific. Really, how can you not love someone named Drives Too Hard.

There are several tales within the overall plot that give depth to the characters. Hub's story alone is pretty amazing, and there are others. A lot
Gregg Eshelman
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read (for me), kept my interest all the way through the advance reader e-book copy. As book 1 of a 2 book series, I'm going to be reading the second one.

There's no 'bad actor' or antagonist in this book, aside from the reactions of some humans to the portals. Hopefully something will come along in the second book to throw a wrench into the works.

Overall it reminds me of the first half of Heinlein's "Podkayne of Mars" or "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".
Susan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another reviewer's comment that Portals reminded him of the golden age of SciFi really resonated with me. With a 17 year old heroine, an innocent first love sub-plot and a fast paced non-technical storyline, it reminds me of the first books that captured my attention in high school. Lysa moves from being disgusted by cockroach-like aliens (which seems appropriate in the beginning) to thinking they are "cute," to realizing that they are people to whom she owes a debt of gratitude. I was disappoin ...more
Kathleen Lubbers
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting twist on teenage love story

Although I enjoyed this book, I think it's geared towards the younger teen\adult anticipating first love, as the main character is a teenage girl who finds a boyfriend, and feels the way all girls feel at that age. I felt the author did a fine job with character development -human and alien. I thought it was an interesting story, rather unique and I want to read the second book as well. The book is slow moving, an easy read.
Domesticgoddess
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not Quite An Invasion BUT Possibly The Best Alien Invasion You'll Ever Read

Ann Christy has written such a tight and well-defined story! Her deceptively gentle storytelling gets under your skin until you care very much about all of her gentle, interesting, likeable characters. The reader learns about the cultures and beings right along with Lysa, the main character. They become well-defined "people" and cease to be "other" for the reader. There are no loose ends left hanging in this awesome story
James
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I know this is probably a "teen" novel, but everyone is a "good" guy. There is no real conflict, at least not between any of the characters. The prose is excellent, but I'm not sure I will read the sequel (second half) to this.

Also, the characterization of Earth and its species as being unique seems totally unjustified. If I do read the sequel (second half), I would hope the author justifies this assertion.
Lindsey
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable!

This is a fun young adult sci-fi novel, with an unexpected twist on an alien adventure. Check it out! Well written.
Sarah Crawford
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lysa is a girl still in school when really strange things begin to happen. Portals start opening around the Earth. A physical duplicate of a nearby person emerges and the human one seems unable to move as the duplicate picks them up and throw them through the portal and then walks off.

Obviously this is causes great panic and fears of an invasion. The problem becomes personal for Lysa when a portal opens in their home and the person stepping out is a duplicate of her mother. That replacement, tho
Patrick
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully written

This may be the most delightful novel that I've ever read. This isn't a YA or Teen or NA or College audience story, this is a human, very human story about change and hope. One other reader said this author writes vividly. That is utterly true. Another referred to the story as perfect. Again completely true. It is a nice book to remember what teenage years were or could have been for some adults and made me look at my own more kindly.

Humans are only one set of characters and
Jenny
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic! I love that the main character is a Hindu teenager living in America. The author does an amazing job of connection you to Lysa experience and her cultural perspective as she experiences life pre and post portal experience. Bonus point for making this book into series, I'm starting the second one tonight.
Scribbles
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pleasant exploration of sentience and the vast possibility of life in the universe.

Several intriguing concepts not encountered in my sci-fi readings before. It was a fun read. And conveyed characters emotion well.
Dtsuneo
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Outstanding story in a coherent reality

The fantastic (as in "fantasy") reality is consistent in its depiction, making it interesting and, eventually, acceptable. Great planning. Also, the story is appealing primarily, I think, because the characters are continuously revealing hidden layers and depths...becoming more "real" over the course of the book.

The one annoying glitch for me as a reader is periodically being whipped out of that world by a word or phrase calling attention to itself. When a
Karen Simmons
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful world

An awesome story. The interactions between different species and how well they interact makes me hope that when humans finally meet extraterrestrials we will do so just as well. There is such a great underlying feeling of hope to save humanity all through this book that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ann
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Portals by Ann Christy is book one of her Into The Galaxy series. Portals is an interesting story about abductions and alien life forms. This is an easy read, not a lot of technical information that makes the reader's eyes glaze over. To me this is more a YA novel.
Rachel
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thus book has new, fascinating ideas.

I found this book very interesting there were many ideas I hadn't thought of before. I would have been very interested to read about how that society worked but I guess that'll be in the next book .
Warren W.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story!

I totally enjoyed this adventure. It was a unique plot for me. I’m a real sci-fi fan, and this really hit the spot. I hope, here is more!

• 3zekiel
  • War of the Spheres
  • Not Alone: Second Contact
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Entropy (The Belt #2)
  • Losing Mars
  • Ship Wrecked (Ship Wrecked #1)
  • Seeker
  • Anomaly
  • Renegade Lost (Renegade Star, #4)
  • Entanglement (The Belt #1)
  • Renegade Earth (Renegade Star, #6)
  • Boy Gone
  • Frozen Earth (Rogue Star #1)
  • Augmented
  • Extinction Countdown
  • Nua'll (Silver Ships, #11)
  • Hero Code (Star Kingdom #3)
Ann lives by the sea under the benevolent rule of her canine overlord and an incredibly foul-mouthed cat. A scientist and Navy officer by profession, the writing bug somehow got inside her during her travels. She's now stuck with it and can't stop writing.

She writes fully immersive works of science fiction and apocalyptic fiction, often with a YAFA (Young Adult for Adults) twist. Ann is also a vor