Start by marking “Meeting Mungo Thunk” as Want to Read:
Meeting Mungo Thunk

Meeting Mungo Thunk

A laugh-out-loud tale of love, life lessons, and an odd little man named Mungo Thunk.

Bathroom scales were not an appropriate gift for his fiancée’s birthday … apparently.

Adam Maxwell isn’t a bad man—he’s just a man who doesn’t stop and think. Ever since he ate seven pickled gherkins for lunch at school, and subsequently shat himself during a maths lesson, Adam has been
Published July 5th 2018 by CrestaPress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Meeting Mungo Thunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting Mungo Thunk

Start your review of Meeting Mungo Thunk
Joan
I'm going to be a bit brutal here - I seriously did wonder how many of the 5 star reviews were genuine before I started reading this novel. You know the sort of review - no image, maybe only a couple of other reviews or maybe only the one book, joined GR at the same time the book was published??

This, however, is a genuine, honest review by a genuine, honest reviewer (and if you don't believe me, look at some of the reviews I have given)

I had no idea what to expect from this book - its listed as
Stuart Duffey
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best self help book you are ever going to read.

I'm a big big fan of Keith's books. The main character is the person you end up consumed by, you root for them, empathise with them, want to shake them and jump for joy if they achieve anything! The other characters particularly the one who drives the story are great fun and different from his last tale.

This book is everything a professional coach or guru is going to teach anyone. It shows solving problems is down to just one person. Loads to inspi
Gaufre
Nov 10, 2018 marked it as sample-says-no
Couldn't get into this book. Adam was making too many dumb mistakes at the beginning.
jacqueline douglis
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And yet again

Well keith ye'v did it again, great book couldnt put it down. Light hearted and stole you away from reality for a time, well worth the read, again well done and thank you
Phil Altimas
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keith-a-pearson
what a great read
this is the story of a guy who's life is ambling along, he is in a dead end job and his relationship it teetering on the edge. then he makes a mistake and soon after mungo Thunk walks into his life

i love mungo, i need him in my life
Kay Smillie
I quite liked this book and the journey both Mungo and Adam took on this journey of self discovery but it didn't work as well as the hilarious time travel novels written by Keith Pearson. No bad as we say in Fife.

Ray Smillie
Mrs. Moira McGeough
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my usual type of book but I am so glad I read it. With Mungo's help Adam turns his life around and boy did it need turning around| All the characters are well developed and believable and humour carries the story along. I wouldn't go with the laugh out loud claims but humour certainly. I think most people could relate to the family characters and situations in this book. A good read.
Miss Dizzy Read
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book, emotional roller coaster, not sure how he does it, just brilliant!!
Lu Etchells
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I don't usually react well to books hailed as being "laugh out loud"; however, there was something about this that just immediately appealed, and made me throw caution to the wind. For once, I'm glad - this was a delightful read.

Now, there were the occasional laugh out loud moments (I even had to stop and read certain sections to the long-suffering husband) but I confess they tapered off after the first few chapters. That's not a complaint, just an observation, which means I don't think you can
Remy Sharp
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
There's a clever story in here, with some decent humour but for me, personally, the undertone of sexism and 1980s machismo was a turn off.

I almost want to put two ratings for this book. One for the story and one for how I enjoyed the story. Amazingly I've actually read everything that Pearson (the author) has published. I _really_ enjoyed the early works and the Clement series is pretty strong - though the last Clement book had similar tones that this book had. I can't quite articulate it, but i
Pamela
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was very disappointed in this until about halfway through as it seemed to be little more than a self-help book with boring characters. And then...

WOW! What a clever concept! And so well-developed. This is why I have read everything Pearson has written.

NOTE: Pearson could certainly do with an editor. The hyper-correction of “and I” rather than “and me” after prepositions is more than a little irritating, and he does it Every Single Time. There’s also a scattering of bear/bare errors. It is also
David Lindsay
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I took a chance on this book. There are a lot of authors in this genre whose own descriptions promise you hours of hilarity whilst either misunderstanding humour, forgetting it also needs to have a story or, quite often, both. I almost gave up on it during the first couple of chapters too, mainly because I despised the main character. Then, naturally, we meet Mungo Thunk, and everything changes.

Great originality. This is not 'laugh out loud' (books that promise you that I find seldom are), but i
Sophie Marshall
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
With the very high rating this book has, I wanted to enjoy it more. The story itself was good and captivating, but I caught on quite early as to where the story was going (the twist at the end) and I just hoped there would be more of a revelation and some of the manyyyy questions I had would be answered. Perhaps they weren’t supposed to be, but for what was a great concept for a book, I was left frustrated and wanting at the end, having already guessed where it was heading (and normally I’m not ...more
Mr S A McCarthy
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The completion of this book is bitter sweet for me. Having read every single one of Keith's books over the last few months, I had kept this until last. Keith has a wonderful ability to build his character plots and storylines in such a way that you suddenly realise that you do not want to put the book down and you are utterly gripped for the next chapter. Meeting Mungo Thunk was no different. I absolutely loved it. All the characters are utterly believable, you cannot help but to root for Adam t ...more
Richard
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, cover to cover!

The book is a story about Adam Maxwell, a well meaning but lazy window cleaner with very little common sense, who makes poor decisions that affect him and others around him.

One bad decision leads to another, which sees him hit rock bottom. At this point, an enigmatic therapist/lodger by the name of Mungo Thunk enters his life and everything begins to change.

Like many of author Keith Pearson’s books, this story contains both laugh out loud and very touching momen
Mr A D J Griffiths
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I’ve just come to the (hopefully current) end of Keith A Pearson’s books. All are clever, witty, and difficult to put down. None are more so than Meeting Mungo Thunk, a fantastic read that as well as being entertaining, sad (in a good way) and at times very funny I also found to be thought provoking and motivational. The journey on which he takes the main character, Adam Maxwell, is one to which I think many can relate, and learn from. And if they can’t relate to Adam then they can at le
Lucy

This was a very different book for me however it was enjoyable so I have to give it the due it deserves. It wasn't my normal type of read but that didn't mean it wasn't a good book.

Adam starts as the most annoying waste of space character however I love that you get to see his slow but obvious character growth throughout this.

This should be adapted into a film I think it would work really well. And personally I think Simon Pegg would make a great Adam and Nick Frost his friend Joe.
Mr
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quirky enjoyable read- I know a few people who need Mungo in their lives!

I enjoyed the pace of the book, it moved quite quickly and wasn’t repetitive. The characters were easy going and likeable too. The story is a tad predictable but that just fitted in with the pace.
Overall I’d say it was an enjoyable, funny & positive read. If this is the first Keith A Pearson book you have read then definitely check out his other titles.
John Morris
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gentle, poignant, story!

This book was very different from my usual, rather narrow, selection but I found it to be an exceptional read. I didn't find many " laugh out loud " passages but that was not what this book was about. It told the story of one man's very personal rise from abject despair to success, both in terms of financial triumphs and family contentment. The author posed the question, what really makes us happy in life and how do we achieve that personal nirvana?
Ben
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, humour
I thoroughly enjoyed "Meeting Mungo Thunk" from start to finish.
The humour that Keith Pearson injected into this story had me laughing all the way through. I do love sarcasm when it's done right.
The characters are mostly relatable. The main character, Adam Maxwell, despite being a real mess, is very likeable and as the story build so does Adam's character.
For me this book was a real page turner, especially towards the end. I literally couldn't put it down.
Danny Farham
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. A friend of mine described it as Lad-lit. Although, I'm not sure I'd call it lad-lit, it definitely contains strong elements of lad-lit, but also crosses a few genres and is impossible to categorize. Just give it a try, I'm sure you'll fall in love with it. Genuinely funny and a little bit strange, too. I wanted to read something different, and Meeting Mungo Thunk delivered the goods.
Nicki Brough
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thought provoking read

I wasn’t sure when I started reading as it had a light-hearted tone with laddish characters at its centre but the main character soon developed in depth, still not heavy but his heart and human side shone through. The introduction of Mungo was a fascinating concept, really added depth and intrigue to the book and made me reflect on what makes us who we are and affects our behaviours and decisions. Easy to read but in a good way!
Mike
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly original story

Loved this story! Such an original idea and well written. I read this in about four days flat....literally couldn't put it down......i feel it would make a good film or better still a series.....anyway, it's heart warming, real and funny...believable characters....well sort of but that's the point!
Heather
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh I did enjoy this book, so clever and so beautifully written. I was supposed to be getting an early night in readiness for a 6am flight but could I put it down - no!
So here I am tired yet reflecting on what was a great read.

Not at all what I expected - I loved Mungo and the other characters, they all felt so real. Glad to have read it, sad it’s finished.
Chris & Phil Butterworth
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A different story

I don't know what I expected but this wasn't it..it was o much better i settled down for a quiet read at Xmas it's now twenty past two in the morning & I've just finished well done Keith it's brilliant funny sad still got tears in my eyes a bloody good read thank you
Steve Fox
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One not to miss

It took a while for me to read this as I didn't find the title to appealing, but once stated it was hard to put down. It's difficult to fully describe because it has something for everyone, let's say it's a relationship and business building story intertwined with real life. Definatelly worth a read and I will look out for Keith's future writings. Steve
Eloise Leask
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow

I struggled at first because it's not normally the types of books I like to read but love it in it's entirety. What an unusual and strange story. I couldn't put it down, I needed to know who Mungo Thunk is and ended on a journey of my own. Has Mungo Thunk visited me before? I think he's visited a lot of us before.
Shelley Trickett
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is not just an enjoyable story but also delves into mental illness and in a way illustrates how our thought processes work and affect us. I found it to be pretty inspiring too. I think this book is ideal for people with depression as it does really help as it can be mindset altering or at the least opens up your mind to things.
David Ames
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.9. A very enjoyable read. It often veers close to cliche but the titular character brings it back from the brink every time. One of those books you can imagine being easily adapted for television (and if it ever is, Jason Watkins would make a perfect Mungo...). Not entirely sure about the ending but I'm probably over thinking it.
Mrs C Oldroyd
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting,engaging and very funny

Keith has outdone himself.
Brilliant premise with laugh out loud moments.
Second chances are not always easy sometimes you need help.
Meet Mungo Thunk.........
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page count for Meeting Mungo Thunk 3 204 Jul 20, 2018 04:36PM

• A Page in Your Diary
  • Who Needs Love, Anyway?
  • Time, for a Change
  • Need a Little Time
  • The Bank of Goodliness: Shadeys Bank needs to clean up its image, a country vicar needs a new career. It could be a match made in heaven. Or Hell.
  • Schrodinger's Cottage
  • George Pearly Is A Miserable Old Sod
  • The Twin Flame Game
  • Camp Scoundrel: Doing what it takes to survive paradise
  • The Unsound Convictions of Judge Stephen Mentall
  • Whose Reality Is This Anyway?
  • Accidental Hitman
  • The Rebuilding of Tom Cooper
  • The Final Game
  • The Afterlife of Walter Augustus
  • Rhino Hunt
  • The Reluctant Detective: A humorous crime mystery (A Martin Hayden Mystery. Book 1)
  • Where Seagulls Dare
I rarely visit Goodreads, on account it's a terrifying place for authors who aren't blessed with a thick skin.

If you'd like to know more about me, head over to my website, or you can follow me on Facebook or Twitter.