Start by marking “How to Be Perfect” as Want to Read:
How to Be Perfect

How to Be Perfect

The bestselling author of The Mummy Bloggers is back with another page-turning, rip-roaring story about mums, phones and the cult of self-improvement.

In the rolling green hills of Australia's hippest hinterland, a new guru is blogging about her breakfast.

ELLE CAMPBELL is back, holed up in an exclusive retreat where women pay thousands to mimic her extreme lifestyle, or di
Published September 1st 2018 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Perfect

Start your review of How to Be Perfect
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to see that Holly Wainwright had produced a follow-up to one of my favourite books of the year. I really enjoyed the previous book and this second one continues to feature key characters. Following a similar style, we get glimpses of the blog posts, Twitter posts, and the chapters from different character perspectives.

Elle, our villainess who we openly hate but secretly admire, is back again. She takes more of a central role as the story is set eighteen months later. I loved disc
Mandy White
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Gosh there are some spoilt women in this book! I struggled reading this as I really did not like the main characters at all. It was not the book that I was expecting. I know that it is meant to show this and the real life behind the social media persona, but in Elle’s case she really believed that she was more than it was.

I have not read The Mummy Bloggers which is the first book in this series. There is probably more background in this book that I have missed but the general gist is explained
Shelly
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mummy bloggers have returned and they are in true form.

In "How to Be Perfect" Holly Wainwrights follow up to "The Mummy Bloggers" our favourite bloggers seem not to have learnt from the lessons of the past.

Elle is still faking an on-trend lifestyle - this time having reinvented herself as a "wellness" or rather Elle-ness, guru. And the lure of even more money and fame have kicked her antics into high gear. And Abi is still pretending not to care what her ex-husband's ex-wife is up to - but o
Shalini
Actually, I have no idea how to be perfect. I am pure imperfection and quite proud of it. Hence the title quite enamored me as I wanted to know how the characters tried to beget perfection.

Elle, Abi and Frances were our three main characters. Elle had a new life and everyone wanted to ape her lifestyle. Abi had an ex-husband and wanted to marry the love of her life. Frances wanted to join Elle's retreat to attain perfection.

My first book by this author, I took time to get into her style of writi
Reannon Bowen
I loved the Mummy Bloggers & I love Holly Wainwright’s podcasts a lot, she smart, funny & really fun to listen to but this novel fell short for me. I feel like Wainwright was just trying to cram every issue that’s facing woman today into the story & it didn’t feel as realistic as the first one. And the name changes- Fifty Minutes. Gurva. Nutrimullet. - not great. I’m pretty sure there’ll be a third book, & I’ll still read it, I just wish this had lived up to the first one. ...more
Julia
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What a bunch of unlikable characters?! Rarely have I read a book with such privileged women that I definitely don't want to get to know in real life, but whose story I couldn't put down. I needed to find out what they'd do next.
Leoni
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Easy read but there is nothing of substance to this book. Characters, situations, revelations and insights are all borrowed from any one of a thousand other books/tv shows/magazine pages. You know when you are watching tv and you can predict what will happen next because you’ve seen it 100s of times before? That.
The only characters I felt any emotion for were the 2 little boys abandoned by their mother. I loved that they found happiness in the dirt and the mud.
Claire
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I quite liked this one. A look at how we only show what we want you to see on social media and that not everything is as perfect and shiny as you may think. I think this will be quite relatable to many with the comparisons to those in the limelight via social media.

The chapters were short and snappy, which I loved. And I enjoyed reading from the perspective of all three women via alternating chapters. It was a fun read, although it did cover some serious points too.

The writing flowed well from s
Theresa Smith
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2018
So good. So, SO good! I really enjoyed The Mummy Bloggers, but How to Be Perfect is the next level up. If you thought it didn’t get much worse than Elle’s shenanigans in The Mummy Bloggers, wait until you find out what she’s up to now!

“‘It’s this shit right here – I had to subscribe to this, with actual money. And people do. They hand over hard-earned cash, and for what? For her to show me naked pictures, share ridiculous recipes no one can follow without taking out a bank loan, and spout a lot
Tarna
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. It was quick-witted, light and had a fun story line. Loved how it poked fun at Instagram/ social media and the culture surrounding it. The reason why I am rating it down is that the author brought up several important women’s issues and discussed them quite lightly. Because of this, I felt like the book lacked depth and the attention that some of these issues deserve. I still very much enjoyed it and would 100% read the next instalment if there is one.
Katie
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
How To Be Perfect is the follow up to Holly Wainwright's The Mummy Bloggers. The story picks up after the final of the blogger awards with the return of Elle, who has re-established herself as a lifestyle blogger at a luxurious retreat in Byron Bay with a focus on wellness (or “Elle-ness”). Her return to social media is shrouded in mystery – where has she been? Who is her mysterious new benefactor and the father of her new baby? Also back is Abi, who is trying to deal with an ex-husband who may ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Stars

I loved being back amongst some of my favourite dysfunctional families, for even more chaos, blogging shenanigans and the return of Elle.

If you haven't read The Mummy Bloggers then some of the backstory in this one may not make as much sense, especially with the feelings towards Elle, but it could potentially be read as a standalone, depending on how much that sort of thing bothers you.

Set 18 months after the end of the previous book, Elle has re-imagined herself completely, and altho
Emma (escapetothebookshelf)
How To Be Perfect is a follow up to The Mummy Bloggers. It's a light-hearted, easy read which I generally enjoyed. It follows Elle a blogger/wellness guru who pretends to have the most perfect life to all her followers, luring them to spend money on her products and her wellness retreat. It also follows Abi whose ex-husband is also Elle's ex-husband, and a character called Frankie who is one of Elle's devoted followers.

I had not read The Mummy Bloggers and so I was slightly confused with who wa
Justine
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel like this was a rip off of that Australian blogger who lied that she had cancer. Bit of a no-brainer book.
Sharah McConville
4.5 stars. I loved The Mummy Bloggers and How To Be Perfect was even better. I really enjoyed hearing what became of Elle Campbell. Abi is still a bit too sweary for my liking so not quite 5 stars! Thanks to Allen & Unwin for my ARC copy. ...more
Honestmamreader
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
How To Be Perfect is the follow up story to The Mummy Bloggers. Now, I didn't realise there was a book before this, but as I started reading it became pretty obvious that I had missed out on a book as I was pretty confused who was who? And who's kids belonged to who? Also, I had missed out on some action and drama that had occured in the Blog Aaahs Awards. Saying this, it didn't take me long to piece together everyone's connections and offspring and I settled in for a nice easy contemporary fict ...more
Melinda Elizabeth
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having recently joined my local library I was excited to have access to audiobooks FOR FREE. So whilst I'm going to supplement my one credit from audible a month with books I figured I better check out what's on offer at the local library.

How to be perfect was in the recently added list and whilst I haven't read the first book, I figured I could get the gist of this one without too much drama.

And I'm really glad I decided to push ahead as this was an enthralling book that I listened to in abou
Rhian Eleri
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Blog tour stop 😀😀😀😀👇
This is a book that will remind you of how social media rules our lives! Or can do anyhow. It opens up some questions about what we do, and what we say we do. Within the story we meet 3 main characters, all women, who struggle to keep up with lifes daily pressures.
Elle seems to have it all, despite an incident that she is known for at the blog awards, she's still got her hardcore fans on her side.
Francis can't get enough of Elle and her blogs. She's desperate to change hers
bre
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Holly Wainright has crafted another entertaining story in "How to be Perfect," the sequel to "The Mummy Bloggers." Wainright's books, whilst being wildly humorous and captivating, do give the audience something to think about. Wainright warns the reader about how easy it is to fall into the trap of believing and admiring every single post/product that bloggers and influencers make and endorse. She reminds us that it is important to challenge these ideas and endorsements, and not to think that by ...more
Han Le flueff
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
How to be Perfect is Holly Wainwright's sequel to The Mummy Bloggers, and continues to follow the lives of two of the mummy bloggers, while introducing us to a new mum - not a blogger, but a very enthusiastic follower.

It took me a little while to get into this book, but while not as captivating as the first novel, the climatic ending the author has created was just as exciting and dramatic!
Kellie t
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was slow going to start with but I was hooked once again in no time! Loved the addition of Frances. I enjoyed the male and teenage view/voices in this novel. So worried about my kids on the internet being now though!
Butterfly2507
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
If you loved "The Mommy Bloggers" you will love this book as well! It was a fast read, funny at some placed and overall enjoyable. I found it especially fun since I'm a blogger myself and often nodding in agreement!
Treacy Devlin
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Not a book I’d pick up but my son gave it to me for Christmas. Nice bit of a twist but at times just silly.
Ali Berg
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Funny, addictive and lighthearted. I need to find out what happens to Elle next!
Sharon
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this clever, cutting and comedic follow-up to The Mummy Bloggers, Wainwright explores the heart of families, the trials of parenting and the ills of social media in a down-to-earth, entirely entertaining way. Alternating between three women’s perspectives, including disgraced blogger Elle Campbell, How to Be Perfect digs under the filters and exposes the truth behind the posts, revealing the way false, curated perfection can be toxic for vulnerable women in particular. With a brilliant femini ...more
Kelly Tate
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable read by Holly Wainwright. Easy reading and thought provoking.
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the publisher for my honest review.

This book didn’t have quite the same level of scandal as The Mummy Bloggers but still Elle managed to get me riled up. Putting her manipulative business driven lies aside, she still isn’t a nice person and is quite a terrible mother but in the end (I can’t believe that I am going to write this) I felt sorry for her. Oh my gosh I can’t get over it myself! She is a cow but I feel sorry for her! I wasn’t expecting at at all when I start
my bookworm life
I was kindly sent a copy of this book as i took part in the review tour over on Bookstagram.

I found this book to be just an easy read, it was ok but for me personally nothing that special. It was an interesting look at the followers of social media influencers and the people behind those accounts, but that was kind of it for me really. I did like the twist near the end involving one of the main characters i thought that was clever and added something to the story. But overall it's very character
Sarah Walsh
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
So if you listen to her podcasts, you would know that it’s her life in narrative form, not unique or original at all. The characters are all inspired by real people that often come up in the podcast dialogue.
Elle is the fitness blogger who also lied about cancer in real life
Abi and grace are glennon Doyle and abbey wambach
Elle and Ben are Karl and his new girl jewellery from channel 9.
Even the rich movie star of action adventures who is based on Byron.... seriously did you need to passively na
Carola | adreamofpages
*I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

Did not finish this, as I couldn't get into it.
Maybe it's because I have not read the other book, but it just didn't do it for me.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The One
  • Lost Without You
  • The Drop-Off
  • Just One Wish
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Maggie's Going Nowhere