Start by marking “Next Year in Havana” as Want to Read:
Next Year in Havana

Next Year in Havana

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  24,676 ratings  ·  3,242 reviews
After the death of her beloved grandmother, a Cuban-American woman travels to Havana, where she discovers the roots of her identity--and unearths a family secret hidden since the revolution...

Havana, 1958. The daughter of a sugar baron, nineteen-year-old Elisa Perez is part of Cuba's high society, where she is largely sheltered from the country's growing political unrest--
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published February 6th 2018 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Next Year in Havana, please sign up.
Chanel Cleeton I don't have plans for them to get another book at this time. Thanks!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Becky Vander Hoeven I agree with Olivia’s answer. Marisol’s statement is more a comment to the reach and influence Fidel still has over Cuba. His legacy and impact on the…moreI agree with Olivia’s answer. Marisol’s statement is more a comment to the reach and influence Fidel still has over Cuba. His legacy and impact on the country isn’t really dead even if he physically is.(less)

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  24,676 ratings  ·  3,242 reviews

Miranda Reads
description

"I promised I would never see you again."
"So this is good-bye, then?"
"No."
Elisa Perez, daughter of a sugar baron in Cuba, had a vastly different life from her granddaughter, Marisol Ferrera.

Elisa's world is of wealth, and intrigue. Tabloid newspapers and quiet, refined lives. She knows what to expect in her life - courtship, marriage and then children (undoubtedly, in that order).
We are useless birds in a gilded cage...
But soon, the Cuban rebellion against Batista impacts even her quiet,
Angela M
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy knowing an author’s inspiration for a story. In the acknowledgments, which introduce the book, Chanel Cleeeton call this “the book of my heart” and thanks her family for sharing their stories. It wasn’t until I heard her in an interview relating a story that her father told her about how people would put their valuables in boxes and bury the box before they left Cuba, that I knew the specific thing. This seemed to reflect a hope that they would someday return. A box buried by a yo ...more
Melanie

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

“We carry our home with us in our hearts, laden with hope. So much hope.”

Next Year in Havana is such an amazing book that had me crying all the happy tears, all the sad tears, and all the in-between tears. I feel like this ownvoices book, that Chanel Cleeton crafted, took a piece of my heart, and I’m fine living without it, because this book was such a work of art, inside and out. And this beautiful story is told in two different timel
Liz
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018
4.5 stars, rounded up.

As a voracious reader and reviewer, I’m in favor of anything that promotes books and creates more interest in them. So, I view the proliferation of celebrity book clubs as a good thing. This is Reese Witherspoon’s July BOMC selection. And it’s a very worthy one.

The book starts with the Perez family leaving Cuba after the success of the revolution. It quickly switches to Marisol Ferrera returning to Cuba 58 years later with her grandmother’s ashes. Cleeton paints that pictu
Julie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton is a 2018 Penguin/Berkley publication.

Cuba- 1958

Elisa Perez, a sugar heiress, falls in love with a revolutionary. But, their lives are so far removed from one another the relationship is one that seems doomed from the start. Sure enough, she and Pablo are separated, and Elisa’s family fled to America, never to return to their beloved Cuba.

Fast forward to 2017-

“When I was younger, I begged my grandmother to tell me about Cuba. It was a mythical island, cont
Jen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for Cuba. It’s a destination of choice for a number of reasons including its history, its traditions, the people and of course, its coffee.
This story takes us through 2 story lines: 1959 and decades later to 2017. With 2 love stories.
After Marisol’s grandmother passes, she has been left the daunting task of scattering her ashes over her home country, Cuba. We read her story through love letters left behind.
We are taken through the historical revolution and what it meant as a citizen
Warda
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
[4.5 🌟]
Goodness, this book took my breath away.
I do not think I have the ability to express how much I loved it, and the impact the story had on me. There’s so much to it, so much heart, soul and passion that leaped off those words and I was swept away at every moment.

I had no idea what to expect going into it, but it has become one of my favourite stories. It was so enlightening and eye-opening to read!

I loved getting to know the characters and how the political situation in Cuba formed not on
Carol (Bookaria)
A familiar yet unique story, deeply evocative, and mesmerizing. I devoured this book and enjoyed every sentence.

The story is told in my favorite form of narration, alternating points of view and timelines. The novel begins in the days when the Cuban revolution started and travels to the present times when Marisol visits Cuba to scatter her grandmother’s ashes on the beloved land she left behind many years ago.

“We are silk and lace, and beneath them we are steel.”

The author did a great job at
*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

In one step, I know power, the drugging effect of it coursing through my veins. With one step I am removed from the fringes and thrust in the middle of my life. In that space of the step, my world shifts. Everything is different now, and nothing will ever be the same again.

NEXT YEAR IN HAVANA is beautifully written and at times excessive in the detailed description of the surroundings and landscape of Cuba and its inhabitants. It did enable
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was such an enthralling read. It was really well written and also extremely eye opening???? I learned SO MANY THINGS about Cuba that I had no idea about before and it definitely makes me want to research and learn more. Also: v steamy romances!
Diane S ☔
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 There are so many fantastic elements to this novel. The book opens with the Perez family fleeing Cuba after the revolution. This is the first thread of the story. The second is Elise Perez's granddaughter Marisol, traveling to Cuba, sixty years later to scatter her ashes in the country she had loved.

The history of Cuba, Batista, Che and Castro are told in bold, detailed fashion using the Perez family to add a human element and interest to the story. This story would be my favorite part of t
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A moving dual timeline historical novel set in Cuba, both in modern times and during the 1958-59 period of Fidel Castro and the Cuban Revolution.

description
Havana, Cuba (the author specifically mentions how many old cars and vehicles are still on the streets - most Cubans can't replace them with newer cars so they take loving care of them)

El Malecón

Cuba's past is seen through the eyes of Elisa in 1958-59, a young woman from a wealthy upper class family who starts a secret romance with a revolutionary who
Lucy Langford
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5****

"Next year in Havana- It's the toast we never stop saying, because the dream of it never comes true."

This book had a dual time line; one in 1958 featuring Elisa, the daughter of an important sugar baron. She is part of Cuba's high society largely sheltered from the country's political unrest with the expectation to marry another man within her social class.

When she meets a revolutionary one night she embarks on a forbidden passion which opens her mind and leads to discussions of the revo
Dem
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I love books where the protagonist tries to discover the roots of her identity and and this is what drew me to this novel. I enjoyed Chanel Cleeton's Next year in Havana as it took me on a journey to Cuba which a country I have read very little about and by the conclusion of this Historical Fiction Novel I had gained a little historical insight into Cuba and now look forward to reading some more books on Cuba in the near future.

"After the death of her beloved Grandmother, a Cuban-Am
Susanne  Strong
4 Stars.

Family, Heartache, History, Life, Loss and Love. This is the story of “Next Year in Havana” by Chanel Cleeton.

Cuba, 1958: Elisa Perez is a nineteen year old heiress when she meets Pablo, at a dinner party. Their chemistry is immediate and undeniable. It is love at first sight and it is doomed. Pablo is a revolutionary, he stands for everything her family is against and yet neither can walk away from their feelings. When things go awry, Elisa and her family have no choice but to escape t
Katie B
This book has been on my radar for awhile and I was so excited to finally have the opportunity to read it. I don't normally comment on book covers, but this one is absolutely stunning and whoever designed it deserves some praise. The story that unfolded between the front and back covers was really some compelling historical fiction.

So I'll admit I did not know much about the Cuban Revolution prior to reading this book. One reason I love historical fiction is sometimes it gives you the opportunit
Georgia Howard
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the worst kinds of books are those that disappoint.

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton promised an intriguing glimpse into the mystery of Havana, that forbidden place that’s been sequestered by corrupt government and untouched by big brand corporate America, indeed isolated in what would seem to be an alternate time. Cleeton endeavors to juxtapose the social and political tensions during the Batista era and the 1959 revolution with the everyday struggles facing present-day Cubans. She
Christy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo IMG_1677_zpsdwyilnwg.jpg

I am not a huge fan of historical fiction, but I loved this book. Chanel Cleeton is a new to me author, and I'm so happy I took a chance on this book. It is beautifully written, and I feel like I learned so much while reading it.

This story goes back in forth between two characters and two times. Some chapters are in the present, from our heroine Marisol's pov. The others are from the past, 1958 to be exact. They are from Marisol's late Grandmother, Elisa's pov. It's a few months after Elisa's
Cindy Burnett
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I start a book and from page one I am completely enamored with every aspect of the book - the plot, the characters, the setting, and the relationships. Next Year in Havana is this type of book; as I read, I was constantly ruminating about how fabulous the book was. I love that feeling, and to me, it is the sign of an exceptionally good book.

Next Year in Havana is told in a dual timeline format, alternating between the late 1950’s and present day. Both story lines are equal
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Boy, 2018 has been epic so far...

My heart is full. Full with love for the characters of this book. With shame about my ignorance of the danger and problems Cuban people still face on a daily basis. Admiration for their bravery and pride. Affection for their good hearts. Sadness for their heartbreak. I struggle to get a grip on my emotions as I sit here and write my review.

How long will we be gone? When will we return? Which version of Cuba will greet us when we do?

Marisol's exiled grandmother
Lori
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings on this one. I loved parts & I disliked others. I loved Elise’s story... the struggles she faced in a changing Cuba were heartbreaking. I had a vague knowledge of Cuba’s tumultuous past & present, so I really found that part very interesting. At the same time, I enjoyed learning more about Cuba’s struggles it felt over done in Marisol’s story. The sentiments became very repetitive which made me lose interest & start skimming. Marisol & Luis’s relationship wa ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“Am I dangerous?”
“I have a feeling you just might be.”

I made a resolution to myself last year that I would make more of an effort to read new to me authors when selecting future books. Chanel Cleeton is a new to me author, and when I saw the cover and title of this book I knew I needed to get my hands on it. And man oh man am I so glad I did because I loved this story.

Next Year in Havana is told in present day by Marisol, a young woman grieving her recently deceased grandmother,
Holly  B
Enjoyed it!

A love story that spans generations...

The story alternates between Havana in 1958 and Miami in 2017.

Elisa and the Perez sisters were daughters of a wealthy Cuban sugar baron and were living a luxurious life in Havana. They were shielded from the horrors of the revolution going on as Fidel Castro fought the dictator, Batista for control. At least for awhile, until they had to flee.

Fast forward to 2017.....

Elisa's granddaughter, Marisol will return to Cuba to spread her ashes in
Bkwmlee

I was enamored with this book from the very first page and found it very difficult to put down after I started reading it! I will admit that I was reluctant to read this one at first, as I don’t typically read romance novels and being that most of this author’s previous works were contemporary romances, I was worried that this would be along the same lines -- however I decided to give this one a try, as I was drawn in by the historical aspect and also curiosity with the setting being in
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When I was asked to review Next Year in Havana, it was a tough choice to make. It seemed so far out of my wheelhouse and I’ve had bad luck in the past with celebrity book club picks, so I had no clue what to expect from this! Since I make a habit of not accepting review requests for books I don’t expect to rate favorably, I thought on this one a little, but when I learned that the story was (at least partially) inspired by the author’s own Cuban heritage, I decided to give it a chance—and I am s ...more
Alana Gale
Reasons that this book was thoroughly unimpressive:

1. "My eyes slam closed." This is the perfect example of why I didn't enjoy the writing style. It was mediocre at best and at worst, well, try slamming your eyes closed (I did, and I just don't buy it).

2. Insta-love. Both sets of main characters fall in love after only a couple of descriptions. I wanted to enjoy that love, soak it up, but I didn't feel anything for the characters because it just didn't seem realistic.

3. It needed a stronger sens

A very good read.
Marialyce
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
“To be in exile is to have the things you love most in the world - the air you breath, the earth you walk upon - taken from you. They exist on the other side of a wall - there and not - unaltered by time and circumstance, preserved in a perfect memory in a land of dreams.”

4 wonderfully amazing stars to Havana, Cuba and its people
My reviews can be found here: https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

I have always had a fascination with the island of Cuba. I was a young girl during the Cuban missil
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON http://amzn.to/2E4hN25

4,5-5 Beautiful stars

"At the end of the day the only thing you have left is what you stand for."

I'm speechless, such a beautiful and powerful story!I have no words, I'm still processing what I just read!I have read and loved almost all Chanel's books but nothing is like that!This was amazing!Next Year in Havana is an emotional,intense, heartbreaking and heartwarming story!

description

Next Year in Havana follows two different timelines. The first timeline tells the story o
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
4.5 stars- This book made me so emotional! I feel like I learned so much about the state of Cuba, both past and present, and I truly feel for the people who've suffered and lost so much. It was definitely tough to read at times because of the nature of the political climate, but I cared so much for the characters that I had to keep going. The ending left me very excited to pick up the next book as soon as it comes out!
Around the Year i...: Next Year in Havana, by Chanel Cleeton 1 8 Mar 02, 2019 10:58AM
RVU Fiction Book ...: Parallels 1 9 Feb 14, 2019 01:52PM
Libri Labra Book ...: Next Year in Havana *SPOILERS* 4 42 Dec 05, 2018 09:13AM
Play Book Tag: Next Year in Havana, by Chanel Cleeton; 4.5 Stars 8 31 Nov 05, 2018 09:58AM
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Huntress
  • The Summer I Met Jack
  • My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton
  • American Princess: A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt
  • The Widows of Malabar Hill (Perveen Mistry, #1)
  • The Kennedy Debutante
  • The Map of Salt and Stars
  • The Light Over London
  • Lost Roses
  • Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
Sign up for Chanel's monthly newsletter to receive exclusive news and updates about her next book- http://bit.ly/1tglPgi.

Chanel Cleeton is the USA Today bestselling author of Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick Next Year in Havana. Originally from Florida, Chanel grew up on stories of her family's exodus from Cuba following the events of the Cuban Revolution. Her passion for politics and history cont
“That’s the thing about death—even when you think someone is gone, glimpses of them remain in those they loved and left behind.” 17 likes
“To be in exile is to have the things you love most in the world - the air you breathe, the earth you walk upon - taken from you. They exist on the other side of a wall - there and not - unaltered by time and circumstance, preserved in a perfect memory in a land of dreams.” 12 likes