Start by marking “Daisy's Search for Freedom (The Searchers #1)” as Want to Read:
Daisy's Search for Freedom (The Searchers #1)

Daisy's Search for Freedom

(The Searchers #1)

It’s the 1850s and Daisy, a slave girl from Alabama, is thrilled when her Mama is brought to her plantation to be the new cook. Six Oaks Plantation has been Daisy’s home for years, and the future looks bright now that she and her Mama have been reunited. The happiness doesn’t last, though, when a dangerous encounter with a notorious slave hunter endangers Daisy’s life. She ...more
Published June 17th 2018 by Ambassador International

To ask other readers questions about Daisy's Search for Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy's Search for Freedom

Start your review of Daisy's Search for Freedom (The Searchers #1)
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Daisy’s Search for Freedom by Bertha Schwartz is a wonderful book about the Underground Railroad for young readers. It is the first book in The Searchers series and is a great start.

Set in the 1850’s, young Daisy is a slave at the Six Oaks Plantation. She is the personal slave for the daughter of the owner, who is a spoiled and vindictive young woman. When Daisy meets the new cook, she is surprised and excited to see it is her mama. The family was separated years earlier and she had not seen he
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always on the lookout for wholesome reads for children, Daisy’s Search for Freedom by Bertha Schwartz fits the bill quite nicely. Written for the middle-grades, the first in The Searchers series, is a well-written historical fiction novel.

Set in the 1850’s south, young Daisy is a slave Six Oaks Plantation for the daughter of the plantation, a rather spoiled young woman. Learning that the Master has a new cook Daisy is anxious to meet her. To her surprise, Cook turns out to be her very own mama!
Suzie Waltner
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
For anyone looking for a book about slavery or the Underground Railroad for their young readers (this one is appropriate for middle grade readers and YA readers both), Daisy’s Search for Freedom is one you can’t go wrong with.

When events put young Daisy’s life in danger, she is given directions and a small charge as they flee the home Daisy has known for years. Through their journey, Daisy and Davy rely on each other as they make their way to freedom.

With discussion questions for each chapter, r
Carole Jarvis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2SoDZuN

Opening in Alabama during the 1850s, Daisy’s Search for Freedom is a suspenseful, emotional, educational, and inspirational read. It brings history to life for young readers and introduces us to the young slave girl, Daisy, who captured my heart. The author put a lot of care into the writing of this novel, for it touches on the atrocities of slavery without going into great detail or being overly graphic, and is definitely age appropriate for
Connie Carpenter
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like clean, wholesome historical books that I can read to my children. This book was perfect. Geared toward Middle School/YA readers, my 7 year old really enjoyed it. We read it together and had a lot of discussion about the time period. This book is beautifully written, easy to understand, teaches a great lesson. It is set in 1850. Daisy is a slave Six Oaks Plantation when she accompanies the mistress out - a very nasty slave hunter is on to her. Daisy can read (which is a crime, and p ...more
Beckie Burnham
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully-written, Daisy’s Search for Freedom by Bertha Schwartz is a wonderful book for children in grades 3-6. Set in the American South of the 1850s it features a young slave girl and her journey towards freedom. Daisy is a great character who will capture your child’s imagination. Smart, resourceful, and grounded in her faith, the young teen is determined to make her way North. I loved that Daisy is concerned for her fellow slaves and relies on God in times of fear and danger. There is pl ...more
Becca-Rae Weidel
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daisy's story is a middle grade historical fiction piece that is age appropriate in content. It introduces kids to the concept of the underground railroad while sparing some of the more harsh realities. Several times the characters are met with situations that more realistically would have resulted in their capture, but instead are met with people that are willing to help them. Young readers become aware of the dangers without having to witness them in the story.

For me the writing style lacked s
Julia
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daisy's Search For Freedom by Bertha Schwartz is a Christian historical YA novel. It concerns the subject of slavery. It is a powerful read and would suit anyone from ages 10 to adult.
There is the main theme of trust. We have to know whom we can trust, our lives may depend on it. We can always trust Jesus. The novel is written around the underground railroad that helped slaves escape to the North. It was definitely life threatening to know who to trust.
The novel is a microcosm for a macrocosm as
Emily Yager
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A simple yet emotional read. Its about a young slave girl and the underground railroad. Knowing who to trust becomes a life threaten decision when your hiding and moving through the underground railway. Beautifully written, and a great story for not just children (1o+) who are studying this topic but anyone who wants an emotionally powerful read about trusting God and finding freedom.
Fizzy
I had to sit back and remind myself that this was a middle grade book. I didn’t keep that in mind before I jumped in reading and I found myself getting frustrated that it was all too easy. But in reality it wasn’t. Yes, Daisy and David caught some lucky breaks but that’s not always the reality of these situations. I don’t think that those other situations would find an appropriate audience in the middle grade reader. Set during my favorite period of history, the Civil War, Daisy found a perfect ...more
Yvette
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
First in a series of historical fiction novels for Middle Grade to Young Adult readers, Daisy's Search for Freedom is sure to appeal to those interested in American history, the Underground Railroad, and the experience of younger people in the mid 1800's.

As a house slave, Daisy is subject to the whims of others, so when an outing exposes her to new dangers she quickly finds herself sent on a journey with perils of it's own.  Traveling with a young boy, Daisy takes the reader along with her as da
Sydney
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daisy’s Search for Freedom by Bertha Schwartz is a fun children’s historical fiction story following the Underground Railroad. This story follows a young girl and boy as they escape slavery with the help of several people, including their mother, as they work their way along the Underground Railroad, while being hunted by a brutal slave hunter. This story is full of excitement, adventure, danger, friendship and love. Young readers will delight in this excellent story.

Series: The Searchers
Genre:
Amanda  H
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Geared towards Middle School age readers (but enjoyable for all ages) this is a wonderful, historical based fiction story that follows the tale of Daisy, a young slave girl. Daisy is able to read and write, something that is illegal for slaves to do, making it a rare talent to have and putting her in a position to pass notes in what she discovers is the Underground Railroad. Through her involvement in note writing, she has the opportunity to escape herself.
What I liked most about this book is t
Becca (Reflections From My Bookshelves)
I enjoyed this book. It is geared towards children so it was a straightforward and clean book. Betha Schwartz did not talk about or show the harsher sides of slavery. Instead it was a story of trusting God and of having hope and faith in the midst of hardship

i liked how Daisy prayed about what to do. I think there a lot of good lessons in this story about trusting God in every situation that the reader can learn from.

I recommend this book to family and friends.

I received this book from the publi
Medomfo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a really encouraging read about faith , perseverance and how God is always in control, even if you aren’t.

Link to full review:
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Slavery and the Underground Railroad are difficult topics to discuss with young readers. It's a dark part of history that many of us wish never happened. That being said, Daisy's Search for Freedom is a wonderful book to read with young readers, and presents these difficult topics in a thought provoking and touching way. Daisy is a character that young readers will easily like and connect with. Not only will they empathize with her trials, they will learn something in the process.

The questions p
Anna
Dec 11, 2018
Allison
Daisy's Search for Freedom is a quick, easy read that I find best suited to grades 3-5. The chapters are short and easy to understand, no words are too big for an eight year old to understand.
Daisy is sent into the underground railroad by her mother. She is traveling with a little boy named David, but for protection they are called Sammy and Simon. They are helped along the way by many helpful people, but they are also hunted by men wanting to collect a reward for them.
Daisy and David/Simon wo
Lauren Compton
Jan 06, 2019
Veronica
Jan 20, 2019

• The White City (True Colors)
  • Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery
  • Teal Paisley Tights
  • Fate of the Watchman (Journey of Fate #1)
  • The Memory House
  • Why Did You Choose Me?
  • Swimming in the Deep End
  • Flights of Fancy (American Heiresses, #1)
  • The Curse of Misty Wayfair
  • The MISSadventure Brides Collection: 7 Daring Damsels Don’t Let the Norms of Their Eras Hold Them Back
  • In the Shadow of Croft Towers
  • With This Pledge (Carnton, #1)
  • The Edge of Mercy
  • Of Fire and Lions (Prophets and Kings, #2)
  • Convergence
  • The End Begins (The Seven Trilogy #1)
  • The Pink Bonnet (True Colors)
  • The Secret of Willow Inn (Willow Falls Series)
Bertha Schwartz is a Swiss Amish transplant to the beautiful farmland of Nappanee, Indiana. She loves spending time with family and friends, including fifty-two nieces and nephews. Her hobbies include scrapbooking, sewing, and reading. Raised near the lovely Swiss city of Berne, Indiana, Swiss is her mother-language. Languages and different dialects are a special interest of hers.

The Searchers (3 books)
  • Kelly's Search for Family (The Searchers #2)
  • Sarah's Search for Treasure (The Searchers #3)

News & Interviews