Start by marking “Manuscript for Murder (Murder, She Wrote #48)” as Want to Read:
Manuscript for Murder (Murder, She Wrote #48)

Manuscript for Murder

(Murder, She Wrote #48)

Jessica Fletcher investigates a mysterious manuscript with deadly consequences in the latest entry in this USA Today bestselling series...

Jessica Fletcher has had plenty to worry about over her storied career, both as a bestselling novelist and amateur sleuth. But she never had any reason to worry about her longtime publisher, Lane Barfield, who also happens to be a truste
Published November 6th 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Manuscript for Murder, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Julie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope! This is a thriller, not a cozy. It has language that was never there before and doesn't belong there now. If I want to read a thriller, I'll pick one up. Sad, and disappointed. The story, for the record is not bad, but it is not a cozy and not a story that fits Jessica Fletcher, her companions or Cabot Cove!

Berkley- A long letter coming your way.

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Clever and addictive, this newest installment in the Murder She wrote mysteries by Jon Land will have you on the edge of your seat, unable to put this book down! I am one happy mystery-lover after reading Manuscript for Murder. This story was outlandish enough to be fun, but also down-to-earth enough to feel like with a small stretch of the imagination, it could really be happening. I am delighted with this cozy mystery, and I think other mystery fans will be too!!!

See my full review on my blog
Berit☀️✨
This isn’t your grandmother’s Jessica Fletcher!

This was such a fun, cozy, engaging, and nostalgic read... it certainly was fun going back to Cabot Cove! I remember Sunday night watching television, when you still had to change the channels manually, and watching Angela Lansbury on “Murder, She Wrote.” Having never read one of the books before I wasn’t sure what to expect, and I have to say I was extremely pleased! Jessica has definitely had a bit of an update, but don’t stress she still is the s
Holly  B
A great cozy mystery with a "book themed" plot!
Just like the popular television series, Jessica is solving murders. I’m seen a few episodes of the show and I wanted to read this latest book in the series.

There is an intriguing mystery to solve and it involves “a mysterious manuscript” that seems to be deadly. Jessica is the leading sleuth and ends up with the hotter than hot manuscript in her possession. When her friend Thomas, another writer visits her and reports that their mutual editor, Lane
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 nostalgic stars to Murder, She Wrote: Manuscript for Murder! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

This is Jon Land’s second installment in the Murder, She Wrote series, though many other books (over 40 to be exact!) have been written.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 nostalgic stars to Manuscript for Murder! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I expected Manuscript for Murder to be light and cozy, but there is plenty of depth and suspense. In case you didn’t know, Jessica Fletcher is a novelist and sleuth-on-the-side. A friend of hers, Lane Barfield, who also happens to be her publisher, gets in hot water due to money corruption leading to an FBI in
Kendall
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Manuscript for Murder was such a fun and cozy read!

I absolutely loved Jessica's character. She is trying to find out a case that involves lies, blackmail, and a missing manuscript that everyone is trying to get their hands on!

Manuscript for Murder is a very well paced mystery that keeps you wanting more. It was a very fast paced and easy read.

I really enjoyed how it was an overall "book themed plot". This added so much more since I LOVE to read haha.

After reading this, I want to go back and r
Ashley Mariner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Jon Land and "Jessica Fletcher" in the Murder She Wrote series. As a longtime fan of the franchise, the best I can say is that I'm disappointed.

The plot of the book itself veered far from the cozy mystery format that has made the Murder She Wrote series popular for decades. There were explosions, faked suicides, graphic gunshot wounds and deaths, destructive fires and government conspiracy all wrapped up into one novel where the body count continued to pile
Sandra
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Does not ring true

Jessica would never say damn, and is not Mort's age. The snippy banter is out of character for Mort and her, who share a warm respectful relationship of trust. Lacks the true essence of Jessica. Too hard boiled, lacking Jessica's endearing thoughtful personality by substituting snippy banter. The body count and book within a book grew tiresome quickly. Disappointing.
Sara
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Donald Bain built an empire. Jon Land destroyed it. I'm embarrassed for Berkley Crime having to admit they published this trash. Maybe they could still save this series if they hire a different author - literally any other author - to take over the writing. Letting this garbage be published is disrespectful to Mr. Bain's memory and Murder, She Wrote fans the world over. Jessica Fletcher would be appalled at the way she was depicted in this book if she were a real person as would the rest of the ...more
Ann
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. This author does not write like the one who wrote all the other Murder She Wrote books. He is writing about the publishing industry and uses words and acronyms without explaining them. He uses incorrect English, which Jessica Fletcher would not use. It seems he is trying to modernize Jessica Fletcher and it doesn't work.
Jocelin
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I gave a book 1 star, because I generally don't finish a book that I find to be that terrible. And let me be very clear: this book is terrible. I had to force myself to read the entire thing, and took breaks when the absurdity of it all was too much.

This review is filled with spoilers for everyone who found this book as insulting to the franchise as I did. I have watched every episode of MSW, all 4 made-for-TV movies, and read every book in this series. The new au
Mark Baker
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery
When Thomas Rudd approaches Jessica Fletcher after one of her signings and accuses Lane Barfield, their mutual publisher, of skimming money from their royalties, Jessica can hardly believe it. Within a couple of days, both of the men are dead. However, Jessica begins to suspect that the political thriller Lane asked her to read was to blame. Is she correct? If so, is she the next target?

I had a mixed reaction to this book. On the one hand, I got very caught up in the plot, and always had a hard
Jackie
May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love this tv series and the book series. The original author died and Jon Land now writes the books. This book is sadly not a good addition to the Murder, She Wrote series. There are over 40 books with key characters that are important and they’re ignored or their personalities have been altered, some slightly some majorly. It’s such a tragedy that this series couldn’t have a writer who did his/her research on everything that’s been done. I understand making it your own, but if you changed the ...more
Corey
May 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did NOT appreciate this bundle of cliches from every John Grisham, James Patterson, and Margaret Truman novel this Jon Land fool has ever read. Jessica Fletcher stories are supposed to be WHODUNITS, not this running-for-your-life-to-keep-ahead-of-the-body-count nonsense. Where is Donald or Renee Bain, cowriters who actually WATCHED the show!?
Berry
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of both this writer's work and Murder, She Wrote, even you won't like this literary dump cake.

In Manuscript for Murder, Jessica Fletcher gets embroiled in a hoary old political conspiracy involving an unpublished manuscript that goes... ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE! Dunh dunh dunhhh. As she runs around trying to solve it, we are treated to several extensive excerpts of this supposed page-turner, and JB's responses while reading it will leave you questioning her taste level. It'
Thomas Bruso
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jon Land’s second attempt at the “Murder She Wrote” canon proves effective with “Manuscript for Murder,” despite a few minor inconsistencies.

Thomas Rudd, a fellow author contracted by the same publisher imprint as Jessica Fletcher, approaches her at Otto Penzler’s Mysterious Book Shop in New York City while she is on tour discussing and promoting her new mystery novel.

The two of them schedule to meet at Le Pain Quotidien the next morning to discuss news that their publisher Lane Barfield might b
Tari
This was the first Jessica Fletcher book I'd read, mainly because it was this brand new copy sitting there on the library shelf asking me to borrow it--and I love new hard cover books as well as letting the library know their efforts are appreciated by borrowing cozies. I could barely put this down! It read with the interest and intensity of what I remember from thrillers, just no blood, guts, language or situations--basically like an episode of Murder, She Wrote except in the 21st century. I lo ...more
Dutch
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing at all like the old Murder She Wrote novels - this was a thriller and not a cozy mystery! Rather disappointed - I won't be reading anymore in the series if they continue like this...
Sherry Fundin
It is always nice to be back visiting with my friend, Jessica Fletcher, and off on another mystery tour.

Thomas Rudd, a fellow author, down on his luck,approached Jessica with his thoughts on why his career has faltered. He blamed their mutual publisher and he wanted to tell her why. He failed to keep their appointment. I think we all know why, don’t we?

A book within a book and I hope Jon Land shared that outcome too. I am as intrigued by the book in the book, as I am the book.

I love that Jessic
Jessica Wilhoite
Since Donald Bain passed away, I honestly wasn't sure how I would feel about reading this series anymore, but this latest installment was fantastic. It was so well written and so suspenseful, I couldn't put it down.
Debbie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
"Manuscript for Murder" is a cozy thriller. Her publisher's latest, sure-to-be-a-best-seller acquisition goes completely missing from the system--no traces left behind at all--at the same time as anyone who has read it turns up dead. With her own life in danger, Jessica reads her hard copy of the thriller in an effort to find clues to the killer.

This book was written like a thriller, only there was too much filler material slowing the pace. The author also kept repeating things again and again,
Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio
Jon Land breathes new life into this tried and true series. This time out, Jessica tackles a government conspiracy after her publisher is murdered. Think Tom Clancy meets Cabot Cove. Land brings Jessica into the land of the "thrillzie" - half thriller, half cozy! A good read.
Jay
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I loved the first Murder, She Wrote story that author Jon Land had a hand in creating, his second (and first solo credited) stab at continuing the adventures of everyone's favorite busybody/mystery writer Jessica Fletcher is a grand slam of writing entertainment and surpasses the first book.

When an old writing acquaintance, down on his luck, tells Jessica that the publisher they shared has been stealing money from them, she is at first disbelieving. But she starts to grow suspicious w
Jeanie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obs
While I am almost a newbie to this delightful, intelligent series, this is by far my favorite of the ones I've read so far. Descriptions of the places Jessica goes are exciting and the characters are vibrant and realistic. The mystery is uniquely intriguing, and kept my attention throughout.

One by one, people are beginning to die around Jessica while in the Big Apple for a book-signing. The first person, an author who has hit hard times, is thought to have committed suicide or best case, a very
Andra
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Manuscript for Murder is the 48th book in the Murder, She Wrote series and it's written by Jon Land. It was a very disappointing read. I'm a big fan of the series but I thought this new installment of the series wasn't for me.

I liked the style of writing and I thought the story had great potential but a lot of things prevented me from enjoying the book. In the first place, Jessica's publisher's name is Vaughan Buckley who has a wife named Olga. They have prominently featured in the series. There
Eileen
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story was s little different from the usual Murder she wrote books. Having a second author changes things with quick reads since not used to this other author. I did enjoy the very different kind of mystery and will probably read it again when others are not waiting.
Joey
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Very intriguing. Not true to Jessica Fletcher's character, nor Mort and Seth, for that matter. Jessica would not have done some of the things in this book that she did if the book was written by Donald and Rene Bain. I enjoyed the plot but it wasn't Jessica Fletcher's investigation.
Carrie McCullough Jenkins
In the land of J.B. Fletcher, too much charge runs the book. Jon Land changed her, her allies and her surroundings.

I read Murder She Wrote for comfort and charm. The novels should fit like my favorite pjs, not some new fad pair of knee-high boots.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
When Jon Land took over the helm as the “ghostwriter” of the Murder, She Wrote series from the late Donald Bain, he thrilled legions of loyal fans who just cannot do without their literary Jessica Fletcher fix. The beloved television series that featured Dame Angela Lansbury was great, but it’s in the pages of the novels that the character truly comes to life.

In his second foray into the life of Cabot Cove's most famous resident, Land tops himself with a Jessica Fletcher tale that is part cozy m
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Let It Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #7)
  • Vamps, Villains and Vaudeville (A Jazz Age Mystery #4)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Cobra Clutch
  • Shadow Dancing (The Country Club Murders, #7)
  • A Far Gone Night (Thomas O'Shea Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • Strong to the Bone (Caitlin Strong, #9)
  • A Talent for Murder (A Flower Patch Mystery #1)
  • The Gods of Sagittarius
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • Oak and Dagger (A White House Gardener Mystery, #3)
  • The Logic Bomb
  • Batman (2011-2016) #18
  • Primary Target (Quarry #5)
  • Murder at the Altar (Ellie Quicke, #1)
  • Never Say Pie (A Pie Shop Mystery #2)
  • Missing Under The Mistletoe: A Flower Shop Mystery Christmas Novella (A Flower Shop Mystery, #19.1)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)